Page 103 of 613 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Almost everyone got jobbed in Damage #2 the only one who could have been written within reason were Deadshot and Harley Quinn and maybe Giganta and the new guy Akando. Though I do wonder whether Parasite's defeat had something to do with the unnatural energies of the Dark Multiverse that power Damage? Currently Metallo is offline thanks to Jor-El it will require a third party to bring him back. I'm not even sure whether anyone seems to care to bring him back. Until then Parasite and Metallo are benched until someone can come up with something new for them. But what about the story where Parasite replaced Lois and nearly ended her and Clark's marriage?
    Which one was that? That sounds horrifying and hilarious.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Superman issues 156-157.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Almost everyone got jobbed in Damage #2 the only one who could have been written within reason were Deadshot and Harley Quinn and maybe Giganta and the new guy Akando. Though I do wonder whether Parasite's defeat had something to do with the unnatural energies of the Dark Multiverse that power Damage? Currently Metallo is offline thanks to Jor-El it will require a third party to bring him back. I'm not even sure whether anyone seems to care to bring him back. Until then Parasite and Metallo are benched until someone can come up with something new for them. But what about the story where Parasite replaced Lois and nearly ended her and Clark's marriage?
    I thought Damage's power came from a modified version of Hourman's Miraclo pill rather than the Dark Multiverse? Also the next issue had Wonder Woman imply that Damage is stronger than anyone she's ever fought, including Superman. Because another guy stronger than Superman is what DC needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    By Loeb and Mcguiness circa 2002.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I thought Damage's power came from a modified version of Hourman's Miraclo pill rather than the Dark Multiverse? Also the next issue had Wonder Woman imply that Damage is stronger than anyone she's ever fought, including Superman. Because another guy stronger than Superman is what DC needed.
    Considering how all of these new characters are spinning out of Dark Nights Metal I assumed that Damage's powers came from the Dark Multiverse like Sideways did. Besides Damage was shown in on of the preludes to Dark Nights Metal so it fits. Sure but some feel that Damage causes people to neglect characters like Darkseid and Doomsday who are stronger than Superman.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-06-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced they didn't. A lot of people were expecting print industries to be dead by 2025 or so, and book stores are doing better than those projections thought they would be at this point in time. Perhaps those were merely the more...exuberant....predictions though.

But even if things like Potter and 50 Shades did help keep print buoyant, that doesn't seem to be changing the overall trajectory, just easing and slowing the transition. Which was never going to be fast anyway; shifts like this aren't fast. I'd even go so far as to say the rise of digital and the slow decline of print is as big a change in the human experience as changing from horse drawn wagons to cars; a true paradigm shift. And it still took, what, about a century between the first automobile and a car being in every driveway in America? Longer for cars to be in every driveway around the (industrialized, modern) world.

Mine is relatively popular as well. There's usually customers there whenever my wife and I go. But our "eyes on the ground" isn't always a viable measure of a industry's health.

I think print will always have a place in the market somewhere. Hipsters and grand parents will always want to go retro. And there'll always be the odd person who prefers a page in hand (like me with novels). But I think print will eventually settle into a niche market. And comics already being a niche market within print.....I'd rather see comics at the forefront of digital, instead of shrinking further under print.

Yeah, the code never stopped bad comics from being written. It just stopped nudity, drugs, and foul language from being used. And it did those things haphazardly by the end. A memo from an editor would accomplish just as much, while leaving the doors open for more variety of product aimed at different demographics.

Getting new, younger readers won't be accomplished by the code. It'll be accomplished by new marketing strategies, new distribution models, and new content aimed at those kids instead of established adult fans (which doesn't mean adult fans are gonna get dropped by the wayside; there's plenty of stories for all of us).

BTW: I'm enjoying this conversation. It's not often I get to theory craft about the comics industry to this degree.
    And I'm glad to have given you the opportunity to have this conversation. And those novels of the 2000's led to an increase in writers trying to make their mark in the book industry as well as increasing the amount of adaptations of books onto the big screen. I doubt that all those mega hit books would have stopped the shift from printed media to digital content and even though there is some level of transition both forms of media continue to exist side by side. It'll probably take another mega hit book to increase the chances of printed prose novels to continue on and book stores to remain in business. Though the e-book scene is receiving a ton of interest from indie publishers. I wonder whether at some point comic book writers and artists will take to the e-book scene more and work there instead? But it's probably easier to produce an e-book than it is for an e-comic. And based on that assessment book stores could stand a chance to fall into the same danger comic shops have fallen into and it becomes financially dangerous to even own one. They could very well become antique shops if the time comes and print falls out of favour completely. Well the Comics Code Authority definitely stopped nudity but it just couldn't stop the drugs from Harry Osborn's drug addiction to Speedy's use of morphine it definitely just couldn't stop comics from becoming more expressive again. And so far DC has addressed some of those problems with their new imprints even though they will be delayed until 2019. And it seems I found some folks online praising the DC Nation as it will entice new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The more we see about this villain, the more generic he seems. I was expecting a villain who would change Superman's viewpoint, but it seems like this guy is only bent on killing superman because of something to do with Krypton. We've seen this before..
    Well, Cosmic Villains have never been Bendis' strong suit (Cough)Thanos(Cough)...

And I'm glad to have given you the opportunity to have this conversation. And those novels of the 2000's led to an increase in writers trying to make their mark in the book industry as well as increasing the amount of adaptations of books onto the big screen. I doubt that all those mega hit books would have stopped the shift from printed media to digital content and even though there is some level of transition both forms of media continue to exist side by side. It'll probably take another mega hit book to increase the chances of printed prose novels to continue on and book stores to remain in business. Though the e-book scene is receiving a ton of interest from indie publishers.
    I think print will live on, just in a small(er) niche. It'll be one of those things; you want to buy a thoughtful, romantic gift for your spouse? You buy them a physical copy of their favorite book.

I wonder whether at some point comic book writers and artists will take to the e-book scene more and work there instead? But it's probably easier to produce an e-book than it is for an e-comic. And based on that assessment book stores could stand a chance to fall into the same danger comic shops have fallen into and it becomes financially dangerous to even own one. They could very well become antique shops if the time comes and print falls out of favour completely.
    I think its a largely untapped market at the moment, but once people get a handle on it I think it might get big real fast.

Well the Comics Code Authority definitely stopped nudity but it just couldn't stop the drugs from Harry Osborn's drug addiction to Speedy's use of morphine it definitely just couldn't stop comics from becoming more expressive again. And so far DC has addressed some of those problems with their new imprints even though they will be delayed until 2019. And it seems I found some folks online praising the DC Nation as it will entice new readers.
    Precisely; the code didn't really work by the end. And I am a very big supporter of those new imprints. Anything to expand the distribution and audience, I'll embrace. Especially when I'm not the target demographic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Cosmic Villains have never been Bendis' strong suit (Cough)Thanos(Cough)...
    Oh man, don't remind me of what he did to the guardians..

Sorry about that .

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sorry about that .
    Specifically what did he do to Thanos and the Guardians in general? Never read that run.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Specifically what did he do to Thanos and the Guardians in general? Never read that run.
    Both (from my personal perspective).

Basically, before Bendis relaunched the GOTG, Starlord, Nova, Drax and Thanos were stuck in the cancerverse after the end of a storyline called the thanos imperative. Bendis relaunched the book without answering what happened until this event called Original Sin happened, he then made a really terrible story explaining what happened and ignored a lot of continuity from the past Guardians run when asking questions about what happened in the cancerverse and also doing wert plot choices. It was definitely Bendis at his worst and one of the reasons people rag on him for his current Marvel work.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Basically, before Bendis relaunched the GOTG, Starlord, Nova, Drax and Thanos were stuck in the cancerverse after the end of a storyline called the thanos imperative. Bendis relaunched the book without answering what happened until this event called Original Sin happened, he then made a really terrible story explaining what happened and ignored a lot of continuity from the past Guardians run when asking questions about what happened in the cancerverse and also doing wert plot choices. It was definitely Bendis at his worst and one of the reasons people rag on him for his current Marvel work.
    Interesting.

Sounds like a bunch of plans may have changed behind the scenes, and Bendis couldn't roll with the punches effectively, so he crumbled in this particular instance. Happens. But my follow up question is how far back was the continuity that he was contradicting established? Like was it continuity from a few years ago relative to that time, or are we talking like even further back?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Interesting.

Sounds like a bunch of plans may have changed behind the scenes, and Bendis couldn't roll with the punches effectively, so he crumbled in this particular instance. Happens. But my follow up question is how far back was the continuity that he was contradicting established? Like was it continuity from a few years ago relative to that time, or are we talking like even further back?
    That's possible. Thanos Imperative was in 2011, his Guardians started in 2012, the storyline explaining what happened was in 2014.