Page 105 of 613 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 9194
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    A number of writers get hate even while doing good or great work. Look at Tom King. Reading Batman sections it looks like he is the worst Batman writer ever. Even Scott Snyder and Geoff Johns have received a good share of criticism. I think fans who are part of forums like cbr before 2012 can tell something better about this.
    Post Civil War for me and other forum members in the Marvel section, Bendis was riding high. It's crazy how popular and influential he was with superhero comics... and I have to say that the criticism he's now met with had been building from even ten years ago with Secret Invasion. He probably had too much influence and with everyone following him, it was way more visible when his ideas didn't play out. And there were many... rough landings, despite his maintained popularity. I think it's pretty fair that some expectations have been substantially lowered about his upcoming work because of what's been done, although I don't think writers have a such thing as a "prime" that they fall out of, so I don't think there's any reason he can't do great stories anymore.

I think, honestly, there's almost a culture among fandom where we have to hate on the super popular and successful creators, regardless of what they actually do.

But without doubt it's also about expectations. You take a look at someone like Johns; for how many years did fans eat up everything he wrote and call it a brilliant success?

Eventually I think fans get tired of it and start to look for flaws. And certainly the creator's own output is a factor too. You start out writing whatever you can get your hands on, you make it work, it's great. Then your name starts pulling sales and management starts putting you on bigger, more important projects that maybe you don't really have a feel for and don't mesh with, but you're a big name creator and they want that for the book, so you do your job. And then the work isn't what fans expect, and they feel like the creator has lost his touch or betrayed them or something. Or maybe sometimes we just get bored with a creator's style.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Action Comic 1000 panel with Brian Michael Bendis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwWgZwdfLYM

Last edited by DragonPiece; 04-07-2018 at 10:26 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think print will live on, just in a small(er) niche. It'll be one of those things; you want to buy a thoughtful, romantic gift for your spouse? You buy them a physical copy of their favorite book.

I think its a largely untapped market at the moment, but once people get a handle on it I think it might get big real fast.

Precisely; the code didn't really work by the end. And I am a very big supporter of those new imprints. Anything to expand the distribution and audience, I'll embrace. Especially when I'm not the target demographic.
    In such a small niche I'd say books are going to cost quite a bit of money foreign books are already pretty expensive over here too. I believe once e-books become hot the conversion from printed media to digital media will be complete. The hard part is that comic companies will need to adjust before the time comes compared to prose writers the conversion to digital will require twice the work and training. Yeha and these guys who want the Code back are probably just people who don't fully understand the implication it wrought after being conceived. Bring ti back and writers will eventually quit because of how restricted they would be by the code. A shame though that some don't like what they see on these new imprints as they fear that they maybe looking at writers pushing liberal politics though. Me I think they could turn out something great if given the chance.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

DC Nation #0 by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

Sorry for spamming, just a lot of new art. This is from Man of Steel

BANNED

Man, that art for the Action special is horrible

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Wow, this is amazing. I'm guessing that's DC Nation in black and white?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

I am going to be so upset if they waste this GORGEOUS art on a crappy generic Bendis OC. Please let Bendis hit it out of the park on this one, I want this to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think, honestly, there's almost a culture among fandom where we have to hate on the super popular and successful creators, regardless of what they actually do.

But without doubt it's also about expectations. You take a look at someone like Johns; for how many years did fans eat up everything he wrote and call it a brilliant success?

Eventually I think fans get tired of it and start to look for flaws. And certainly the creator's own output is a factor too. You start out writing whatever you can get your hands on, you make it work, it's great. Then your name starts pulling sales and management starts putting you on bigger, more important projects that maybe you don't really have a feel for and don't mesh with, but you're a big name creator and they want that for the book, so you do your job. And then the work isn't what fans expect, and they feel like the creator has lost his touch or betrayed them or something. Or maybe sometimes we just get bored with a creator's style.
    It also is the case that some people simply hate what the creators are doing. Some people hated Johns for making Hal Jordan into The Green Lantern, which resulted in Kyle, John, and Guy getting sidelined. Some people hate the way King writes the Batman/Catwoman relationship, whether that's the way he has them talk, or the fact that he's actually having them get married. Even here you see people who don't like Tomasi because he puts a lot of focus on the Superman-Jon relationship, when people would prefer the books be focused on Superman alone, or they preferred New 52 Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    In such a small niche I'd say books are going to cost quite a bit of money foreign books are already pretty expensive over here too.
    I suspect you're right. But again, it'll be less of a common item and more of a specialty commodity, so presumably most people would only be buying books they're truly passionate about and interested in, and one can justify the extra expense when they really want to. And I'm sure intrepid innovators will find a way to keep the prices manageable. Perhaps they'll start using a durable, thin plastic for pages instead of paper, who knows?

I believe once e-books become hot the conversion from printed media to digital media will be complete.
    I think the true strength of digital, aside from a wider saturation for less effort, is the variety of methods you can consume it. So I wouldn't single out e-books, but rather digital sales as a whole. Once digital sales outpace print, that's when the shift will really happen.

Wait, you're using "e-books" inclusively, aren't you? If so, yeah, I agree.

The hard part is that comic companies will need to adjust before the time comes compared to prose writers the conversion to digital will require twice the work and training.
    That's a concern of mine as well. Dedicating so much effort marketing to established fans has lead to a severe drop in new readers, and now the industry can't take any steps forward without the consent and agreement of us old bastards.....who hate change. It's a bit of a "rock//hard place" situation where comics can't afford to lose us, but our tastes and demands make it harder for new readers to come in, and comics always had a steep learning curve to begin with.

A shame though that some don't like what they see on these new imprints as they fear that they maybe looking at writers pushing liberal politics though. Me I think they could turn out something great if given the chance.
    Eh, the world has always been full of asshats who only see what they want to see. They are, and I suspect have always been, nothing more than a vocal minority. Business will never satisfy everyone, and it's wasteful to try. All you can do is be smart about who you try to appeal to, and let the haters hate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Judging from Clark's reactions, and the looks of concern on the Planet staff staring at him, something's definitely happened to Lois

BANNED

Ian Flynn (Sonic the Hedgehog) is co-writing the Superman special

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Ian Flynn (Sonic the Hedgehog) is co-writing the Superman special
    not co-writing, just doing a backup story. he was in the solicits.

Bendis again saying he's not rebooting anything, just adding on to what Tomasi/Jurgens did.

BANNED

Bendis again saying he's not rebooting anything, just adding on to what Tomasi/Jurgens did.
    He's not "rebooting", but that does'nt mean he won't stick Lois and Jon on a bus, which is what the DC Nation pages indicate
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    There's a difference between "rebooting" and "putting someone on a bus", and I'm now dead certain Bendis is doing the latter
    I think at worst lois and jon will be MIA till man of steel issue 6.