Page 107 of 613 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207607 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The guy with the goggles looks like Sardath, the Zeta beam expert from Rann. The Viking looking guy with the mask looks familiar as hell but I can't place him.
    Thank ya! I know Shazam, Zeus, and Highfather have been in the group before, and I suppose any of the bearded ones could be any of them....
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Great catch on Sardath, Ascended. That's 100% looks like him.

It might be worth noting that Bendis called this a gathering of aliens throughout the universe that are weighing in on a matter.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That goes without saying, Ascended

That offer I made you still stands, BTW. The next six months or so are going to be a very busy time, and I still need a few more projects I can pitch.

Great catch on Sardath, Ascended. That's 100% looks like him.

It might be worth noting that Bendis called this a gathering of aliens throughout the universe that are weighing in on a matter.
    A gathering of aliens huh? Okay, so that gives us a Guardian and (presumably) a Rannian......could the icy-spiky looking guy possibly be an Appellaxian? That'd be a hardcore throwback, though this version does look more "human" than usual.

I'm going to assume one of the bearded men is from Thannagar then. And......perhaps a Khund or Qwardian? I'd suggest a Tamaranean, since the males seem to prefer beards, but I'm not sure what state those guys are in. Last time I saw them was during Lobdell's Outlaws run, where Tamaran was under attack from....crap, the Blight or the Dominators or someone.

......I KNOW I've seen the guy next to Sardath (if that is who it is) before but I can't think of where. Maybe I'm just thinking of older versions of Thor....
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Bendis having two adopted kids talked about how no matter what Superman accomplishes or how much time passes, the embers of that struggle for personal identity will always be there for Superman. He says that it's part of Superman's wiring. He says they'll be diving into that as often as they can.

He also talks about how he relates to Superman as a father. He said something along the lines of "I relate to the idea that there are people counting on me to be the best version of myself. I can't have a sh!tty Thursday morning and go off crying about how nobody likes me. There are people who depend on me at my best."

For my money, that's probably one of the best and most personal articulates for why Superman works as a dad. But more than that, it's a pretty interesting look at Superman just as a person. He can't be less than 100% everyday, and he knows that, but those feeling of being out of it that day don't go away. He just has to power through it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-07-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That offer I made you still stands, BTW. The next six months or so are going to be a very busy time, and I still need a few more projects I can pitch.
    As always, I'm flattered by just the offer, my friend

A gathering of aliens huh? Okay, so that gives us a Guardian and (presumably) a Rannian......could the icy-spiky looking guy possibly be an Appellaxian? That'd be a hardcore throwback, though this version does look more "human" than usual.

I'm going to assume one of the bearded men is from Thannagar then. And......perhaps a Khund or Qwardian? I'd suggest a Tamaranean, since the males seem to prefer beards, but I'm not sure what state those guys are in. Last time I saw them was during Lobdell's Outlaws run, where Tamaran was under attack from....crap, the Blight or the Dominators or someone.
    I thought I spied Johnny Thunder's thunder bolt, Yz, but, now that you mention it, that does look like ice. Someone from Tamaran or Thannagar would be a bad guess. The guy's helmet actually looks like Hawkgirl's helmet from Metal when she was taken over.

Maybe these guy are talking about what Superman and the Justice League did at the end of Metal? Maybe Superman's subconscious wish had some unintended blow back to it?

So could this mean Krypton's destruction was not only deliberate, but actually some sort of conspiracy that was an edict and executed by the Quintessence? Superman's on the verge of discovering this truth and they deploy Zaar to eliminate him and Kara?

Just saying, Superman and Supergirl finding out their home was destroyed via some sort of universal council, and that is not good news for said universal council. Two Kryptonians of their ilk looking for justice, who could stop them, really.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-07-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bendis having two adopted kids talked about how no matter what Superman accomplishes or how much time passes, the embers of that struggle for personal identity will always be there for Superman. He says that it's part of Superman's wiring. He says they'll be diving into that as often as they can.

He also talks about how he relates to Superman as a father. He said something along the lines of "I relate to the idea that there are people counting on me to be the best version of myself. I can't have a sh!tty Thursday morning and go off crying about how nobody likes me. There are people who depend on me at my best."

For my money, that's probably one of the best and most personal articulates for why Superman works as a dad. But more than that, it's a pretty interesting look at Superman just as a person. He can't be less than 100% everyday, and he knows that, but those feeling of being out of it that day don't go away. He just has to power through it.
    I kind of hate the idea that it's a bad thing for real life parents or someone like Superman to express negative emotions. It's not good to give the impression that it's unnatural or weak to get upset about something that is legitimately upsetting. This doesn't mean one can't also demonstrate how one copes with those feelings, resolves them, or perseveres in spite of them, because those things are important too. However, to me, it's vital for role models to show that it's okay to feel and to express those feelings as a way of working through them.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I kind of hate the idea that it's a bad thing for real life parents or someone like Superman to express negative emotions. It's not good to give the impression that it's unnatural or weak to get upset about something that is legitimately upsetting. This doesn't mean one can't also demonstrate how one copes with those feelings, resolves them, or perseveres in spite of them, because those things are important too. However, to me, it's vital for role models to show that it's okay to feel and to express those feelings as a way of working through them.
    Didn't really take it as negative emotions being a bad thing to have, but more that at the end of the day he's still got a job to do for these people that depend on him, and he needs to give it as much of himself as he can. Given that Bendis is talking about how he'll still have Clark reflect on the specific challenges that come with being an adopted child of this world, I don't think they're straying away from his personal issues even if he still knows that he's got a job to do.

Didn't really take it as negative emotions being a bad thing to have, but more that at the end of the day he's still got a job to do for these people that depend on him, and he needs to give it as much of himself as he can. Given that Bendis is talking about how he'll still have Clark reflect on the specific challenges that come with being an adopted child of this world, I don't think they're straying away from his personal issues even if he still knows that he's got a job to do.
    I'd agree with you if he had just said that, even if he has a bad day, he can't give up. Instead, he focused on emotional expression, saying "I can't have a sh!tty Thursday morning and go off crying about how nobody likes me."

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So could this mean Krypton's destruction was not only deliberate, but actually some sort of conspiracy that was an edict and executed by the Quintessence? Superman's on the verge of discovering this truth and they deploy Zaar to eliminate him and Kara?

Just saying, Superman and Supergirl finding out their home was destroyed via some sort of universal council, and that is not good news for said universal council. Two Kryptonians of their ilk looking for justice, who could stop them, really.
    This remind me of a brazilian RPG scenario, Tormenta. Basically tells the story of how 3 gods of the world pantheon, without the knoledge of their peers created a race with unlimited potential, when the other gods fond out what they have done, they destroyed the race and punished their creators. Obviously the race survived and latter crossed to the world where the RPG takes place.

It would be cool if Bendis go for something like you said, for some reason this council decided to kill or let krypton die, maybe for fearing their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'd agree with you if he had just said that, even if he has a bad day, he can't give up. Instead, he focused on emotional expression, saying "I can't have a sh!tty Thursday morning and go off crying about how nobody likes me."
    I feel like it was very much implied given he does validate Clark's feeling about being an outsider, and he says they'll be playing with stuff like that from time to time. So I had no issue what so ever, and even liked the quote quite a bit.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Remember how everyone keeps saying that Superman needs a sort of bible that everyone at DC follows? Well Bendis has written a “seven-page manifesto” for everyone at DC.

"The incoming Superman writer revealed to a fan that he wrote a “seven-page manifesto” about what makes Superman relevant today and forced everyone at DC to read his rants. “There’s so much about him that’s very relatable…and we’re going to dig into that. I love Clark Kent. I love him. And he’s fascinating to write, maybe more interesting than Superman,” he said. “I can’t wait to see how people react positively and negatively.”"
    Good. Someone needed to write the goddamn thing ages. Whether or not Bendis is really the best one to do it or if his ideas will mesh with a lot of the fandom remains to be seen...but I like his enthusiasm. I like that a big name creator appears to care.

Ivan Reis might be the only person to make the trunks look cool, which makes me disappointed that no one is gonna follow his lead when it comes to the costume.

I feel like it was very much implied given he does validate Clark's feeling about being an outsider, and he says they'll be playing with stuff like that from time to time. So I had no issue what so ever, and even liked the quote quite a bit.
    That very well may be, but not only does it feel somewhat contradictory to say that feelings related to struggling as an outsider are valid yet those feelings cannot be expressed through something as simple and natural as crying (it may even be that we'll only know Superman's feelings because of narration or thought bubbles), it also doesn't change the fact that I don't like how he worded his comment overall. It worries me mostly because "toxic masculinity" wrongly gives the impression that if you express emotions like sadness or if one cries, it's a sign of weakness. To me, the stronger and healthier thing to do is to allow yourself to be vulnerable with others. It teaches people that it's okay to be vulnerable and allows people to connect with you and reach out to you in a way that, even if it's just listening, can provide you with the support you need. For reference, this is the core message of the film Inside Out.

Last edited by misslane; 04-07-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

really interesting panel with Bendis and Millar at C2E2 earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR-tecRNYB4

someone asked Bendis about inserting jewishness into Superman. He said that he wasn't actually making Superman jewish,was just something the "alt right" was exaggerating about his run.

At 25:10 someone asks about his approach to keeping Superman relatable, and he goes more into detail on his manifesto he wrote. He mentioned being a orphan and being in a "his marriage is tricky" when talking about what keeps him relatable. Millar added are you keeping him married, Bendis said don't worry about it(they were joking around.)

Bendiis wife is involved with his imprint he is doing at DC. A lot of fan favorites are going to appear in these books. JL all appear in man of steel and Bendis was excited to write them for the first time.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 04-07-2018 at 03:30 PM.