Page 11 of 613 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

What's getting lost in all this though is another necessary development.

Mr. Bendis. Lois'shairshouldbelongandblack.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Super excited about this, it reminds me of the time where Byrne handled both books too (and later he added a third to the mix). Let’s hope this change of air really helps Bendis’ writing and he shows why he came to be such a star in the comic book industry
    I like how Bendis is going 'all in' on Superman. I respect that, hopefully he will exceed expectations. If nothing else the Superman books are guaranteed to look purty.

I also think its best that Bendis concentrate mainly on one corner of the DCU. Let the Superman world be his corner for now. If he wants to work on other books that's fine but I like that he's going to be concentrating on Superman. I think Bendis writing one Superman book, one Batman and one Justice League book would be a poor decision. Snyder re-building Justice League books while King continues being the Bat-architect while Bendis becomes the new Superman architect. I hope Wonder Woman can get similar treatment when its time to find a successor for Robinson.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 02-01-2018 at 01:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Yes, but it still goes against the "who would want to read..." argument. People came on board for Morrison and new #1, but Morrison's name wouldn't have kept sales at the level they were if people didn't want to read about the Superman in that book.
    Morrison's talent would, but not everyone is Morrison.

And I was reading less for the SJW stuff and more for the feats and the time-twisting and reality bending stories typical of a Morrison-penned Superman. Once that went away, so did the audience. You figure it out.

Bendis talks about two bombs being dropped in Action #1000 that will drive things going forward. My first thoughts:

One: Krypton was intentionally destroyed.

Two: Jonathan and Martha Kent are alive. And not brought back via a timeline change. Literally revived after being dead in continuity all this time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That says more about fans of creators than the runs or ideas, though. Outside of Grant Morrison and Jim Lee, those eras were specifically average in sales.

This board seems to be pretty exceptional in its disdain for the current books and how quick people are to throw the rest of the 80 years so far under the bus for the sake of putting Action volume 2 on a pedestal. But that's alright. I think we're now in the same boat regarding the Bendis Takeover, hopefully we finally move past "mine rules yours sucks" regarding the direction of the line.
    I loved Rebirth, the first year of Superman was one of the best things I read in 2016, but for the last year the book have gone stale. And the heavy focus on Jon started to bother me, aside from Multiplicity and a couple of other issues everything revolved around Jon. Take Super Sons of Tomorrow, what did Superman did in that crossover? Nothing.

So while I am worried about what Bendis can end up doing with so much control, I'm happy to hear that he will focus on Superman more.

I never realised that so many Superman fans on this forum hated Jon with such a passion lmao he is one of the reasons I love the current Superman book anyway I'm not a fan of Bendis at all. I'm not even sure if I want to spend my money to give him a chance. I'll just wait and see what my brother says. He is a huge fan so I'm sure he will continue to read the book. I'm just happy that Bendis stays away from Super Sons. I hope Gleason will join the team with Tomasi.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Yes, but it still goes against the "who would want to read..." argument. People came on board for Morrison and new #1, but Morrison's name wouldn't have kept sales at the level they were if people didn't want to read about the Superman in that book.
    They didn't even stay at that level for him: he left on the same downward slope that hits everything but Batman. I can imagine the Rebirth titles aren't big sellers now, but it's possible that they haven't dropped so much.

But yeah, I don't know how someone would come to the conclusion that a new, younger Superman wouldn't hold appeal to both new and old readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I loved Rebirth, the first year of Superman was one of the best things I read in 2016, but for the last year the book have gone stale. And the heavy focus on Jon started to bother me, aside from Multiplicity and a couple of other issues everything revolved around Jon. Take Super Sons of Tomorrow, what did Superman did in that crossover? Nothing.

So while I am worried about what Bendis can end up doing with so much control, I'm happy to hear that he will focus on Superman more.
    I'm not sour on Superman as a title, but it does spike and dip a little too often for me. I think Action has held much greater consistency and has been one of the better biweekly titles.

Which reminds me: monthlies are back! That's so much better for quality, I think. Now are we sure the both will be monthly, or just the one?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Morrison's talent would, but not everyone is Morrison.
    Except Morrison has had books that sold way less than his Action run in the same era.

And I was reading less for the SJW stuff and more for the feats and the time-twisting and reality bending stories typical of a Morrison-penned Superman. Once that went away...boom, so did the audience. You figure it out.
    The highest selling issues were those that didn't have a lot of "feats" and "time-twisting and reality bending stories".

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I never realised that so many Superman fans on this forum hated Jon with such a passion lmao he is one of the reasons I love the current Superman book anyway I'm not a fan of Bendis at all. I'm not even sure if I want to spend my money to give him a chance. I'll just wait and see what my brother says. He is a huge fan so I'm sure he will continue to read the book. I'm just happy that Bendis stays away from Super Sons. I hope Gleason will join the team with Tomasi.
    He just does nothing for me. He was pushed too hard, too fast, and at the expense of what I'm here for in the first place, and that's Superman. But that's me. He's pretty popular, and I get that. But considering he has his own place to shine, I don't think its unreasonable to ask he not have the major presence he's had in the main books going forward. And again this is all in general stuff. I'm not going as far as to suggest he can't EVER be a major focus of a singular issue of Action or Superman ever again. To me he should be like Matrix was when she took up permanent residence in Metropolis back in the day. She was around, we saw her, and even every once in a while, especially in interlude situations, she'd be a focus of an issue. But she was in general a side player, not a co-star. That's what Jon should be, imo.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.

BANNED

I never realised that so many Superman fans on this forum hated Jon with such a passion lmao he is one of the reasons I love the current Superman book
    Plenty of us like Jon, there's appreciation threads for him and the Super-Family here...unfortunately the loudest people always happen to be the ones protesting and they hijack every thread repeating the same old tired argument. The rest of us just stay in our lane and enjoy the books and share our love of the character

I really like Jon, what I don't like is how Superman became a guest star on his own title, Jon is fine going in adventures with Clark from time to time, but everything being about him? Just no. Super Sons is great and I truly hope Tomasi keep working on it, he really shines in that book.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm not about to trigger a series of responses that will derail this thread. I was in my own way responding to Supercrab's usual baiting tactics and I regret it now.
    For the record, I feel like if anyone would continue Superman being a "SJW prick" it probably would be Bendis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    For the record, I feel like if anyone would continue Superman being a "SJW prick" it probably would be Bendis.
    Which is another trait I really hope does'nt come with the territory.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    They didn't even stay at that level for him: he left on the same downward slope that hits everything but Batman. I can imagine the Rebirth titles aren't big sellers now, but it's possible that they haven't dropped But yeah, I don't know how someone would come to the conclusion that a new, younger Superman wouldn't hold appeal to both new and old readers.
    They didn't stay in the 100k range, only Snyder managed that, but Morrison's Action never dropped below the high 50k range for 18 issues. Which again, I think the last time a run on the flagship books sold that well was For Tomorrow, which I can't even remember falling below 100k, even if it didn't last as long as Morrison's run.

But as you say, it's puzzling to see someone say that people weren't interested in reading the Morrison Superman.

BANNED

After Morrison, I`ve only enjoyed the work Gleason did with Superman (not really counting Jurgens because that`s mostly Booster material and continuity for me) but I`m passing it out.

Have fun, folks.