Page 14 of 613 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So it looks like MOS will at least recap some aspects of his origin:

https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...teel-superman/
    Assassinate Putin!

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm not about to trigger a series of responses that will derail this thread. I was in my own way responding to Supercrab's usual baiting tactics and I regret it now.
    I'm not fan of Supercrab posts either but calling New52 Superman as an SJW prick was unfair, at least not in Morrison's or Pak's or John's runs or Snyder's Unchained.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So it looks like MOS will at least recap some aspects of his origin:

https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...teel-superman/
    As long as he doesn't revert Krypton back to Byrne's Krypton or get rid of Clark's connection to the Legion, I'm good though still not too crazy about Bendis taking over due to his last few works with Marvel.

On a side note Jose Luis Garcia and Shanner? SOLD! Take My Money DC!
    Last edited by BBally; 02-01-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I hope Superboy (Clark) is officially canon again after this. I don't need him costuming around as a public Smallville superhero, but I do want him being called that at some point by the Legionnaires and have it hammered home that he did adventure with them, both in the future and did do some clandestine superheroing in the present.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

And I don't think it can be overstated how big a deal it is that this relaunch is happening without Eddie Berganza being involved. That man plagued the Superman books for waaaaaay too many years. His ability to keep the trains running on time is not enough to keep a man with this toxic a repuation on board, with few positive results to show for it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This sounds like the biggest revamp of the character since John Byrne was given the creative steering wheel in '86. From the sounds of it, Man of Steel '18 will serve the same purpose as the '86 mini did, giving a broad strokes overview of Superman's history to get new and old readers up to speed for the new era. However, this time, it appears the foundation will be built upon all the past stories, rather than a fresh reboot that tosses out everything that came before.

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Making Superman the straight-up mainstream superhero title while Action focuses more on Clark, Lois and the Daily Planet is a smart move. Characters like Jimmy, Perry and Ron Troupe have needed to be fleshed out more for years now. Steve Lombard needs to be more than a one-note joke that wasn't very funny the first time. He's less of a character than a laundry list of traits that have annoyed his various writers.
    I'm just hoping that is indeed what this is. We've been told twice in the last 6 years that " this isn't a reboot!" When ultimately to differing degrees, they were. Granted this is coming from the writer themselves and not the DC PR department, but as they say " fool me once, shame on you..." Etc.

Either way, I'm probably picking up the MOS miniseries. If it's indeed what Bendis says it is and it's good quality, I'll stick around. If it's another freaking reboot in disguise... I'm done unless it's freaking amazing, and even then I may opt out. I'm sick to death of not a reboot reboots with Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I think we'll get something along the line of a few "what you think you know is wrong" reveals, but whether one counts that as "rebooting" I guess is up to the individual. But I don't expect anything more than that. But I do expect said reveals to be big. One of them I'm almost certain will be that Krypton's demise was in fact a deliberate genocide.

The other, and this may be out there, but I just get this feeling what with the Doomsday Clock stuff, that they're going to reveal that the Kents never died at all. Not "Doomsday Clock fixed things and its back to the post-Crisis status quo again", rather literally they were in a car that crashed, they were thought to be dead but instead they were transported somewhere else. That they've been alive for 20 years and Clark didn't know it. Maybe even say they've barely aged where they've been, and play up on the old Superboy storyline where they got deaged.

I still think they're better off deceased but the difference in this would at least make me somewhat interested.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Maybe Bendis will have Superman fight some Nazis.

There might have been some mention of it in Oz Effect, but I don't think we've seen Superman fight Nazis since Pak's run.
    I am always a fan of seeing Nazis get punched, in comics or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I really like Jon, what I don't like is how Superman became a guest star on his own title, Jon is fine going in adventures with Clark from time to time, but everything being about him? Just no. Super Sons is great and I truly hope Tomasi keep working on it, he really shines in that book.
    Agreed. Obviously, Jon should be a major part of Lois & Clark's lives, but I'd rather Jon get the main focus in Super-Sons, which has been an absolute delight.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm just hoping that is indeed what this is. We've been told twice in the last 6 years that " this isn't a reboot!" When ultimately to differing degrees, they were. Granted this is coming from the writer themselves and not the DC PR department, but as they say " fool me once, shame on you..." Etc.

Either way, I'm probably picking up the MOS miniseries. If it's indeed what Bendis says it is and it's good quality, I'll stick around. If it's another freaking reboot in disguise... I'm done unless it's freaking amazing, and even then I may opt out. I'm sick to death of not a reboot reboots with Superman.
    I think this IS a reboot but I think it's a soft reboot in the same sense that SO was. In other words, he keeps most of his actual Superman adventures (or at least the ones from the most recent runs) but it streamlines things like his childhood and Krypton. Jon and the marriage aren't going anywhere so if that's what most people are worried about I think they can relax.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think we'll get something along the line of a few "what you think you know is wrong" reveals, but whether one counts that as "rebooting" I guess is up to the individual. But I don't expect anything more than that. But I do expect said reveals to be big. One of them I'm almost certain will be that Krypton's demise was in fact a deliberate genocide.

The other, and this may be out there, but I just get this feeling what with the Doomsday Clock stuff, that they're going to reveal that the Kents never died at all. Not "Doomsday Clock fixed things and its back to the post-Crisis status quo again", rather literally they were in a car that crashed, they were thought to be dead but instead they were transported somewhere else. That they've been alive for 20 years and Clark didn't know it. Maybe even say they've barely aged where they've been, and play up on the old Superboy storyline where they got deaged.

I still think they're better off deceased but the difference in this would at least make me somewhat interested.
    I think that's exactly what they'll do. I don't think they'll be too much crossover between Doomsday Clock and the mainstream books until this is all over. Keep in mind, Superman has been barely in it. It appears to mostly just be a Watchmen sequel. And the fact that they kept the car crash deaths from New 52 already suggests there's going to be some origin changes. But in terms of it's effect on something like this MOS mini or the mainstream books, I think we won't see that until after everything is said and done. MOS will be long over before Doomsday Clock is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've not been interested in the current direction of the Super books since Rebirth, so I'm not at all bothered by the creative team change. I'm tentatively interested in this. Bendis wouldn't have been my first choice (too bad Hickman didn't come over...yet?), but the books have just seemed sort of "there" and maybe Bendis is the one to get the ball rolling and have things get exciting again. This does not necessitate a new reboot or getting rid of the current status quo, and thankfully Bendis doesn't seem to be doing that. Jon doesn't have to be gotten rid of, but he's got Super Sons and sort of Teen Titans to be featured in, so I wouldn't mind him being put in the background for a bit in the main titles.

Revitalizing the Daily Planet staff, villainous Lex and some other classic villains, and creating some new threats and locations would be ideal, though right off the bat the new villain tied to Krypton's past sounds underwhelming. Hopefully he's got more in store than just that. Also, please don't bring the Kents back, and it would be nice to for DC to remember this character's history goes further back than 1986. Utilize some pre-Crisis lore please; it's, IMO, where most of the interesting stuff came from, and it's doable even with Clark and Lois being married and having a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think that's exactly what they'll do. I don't think they'll be too much crossover between Doomsday Clock and the mainstream books until this is all over. Keep in mind, Superman has been barely in it. It appears to mostly just be a Watchmen sequel. And the fact that they kept the car crash deaths from New 52 already suggests there's going to be some origin changes. But in terms of it's effect on something like this MOS mini or the mainstream books, I think we won't see that until after everything is said and done. MOS will be long over before Doomsday Clock is.
    I think is worthy remembering that Marvel don't do reboot as DC does, but they do tend to retcon a lot of stuff, way more than DC, and Bendis is well know for doing it. Sometimes a retcon can be worse than a reboot so... who knows what we are going to get.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 02-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I don't think it's going to actively change any continuity in the Crisis revision sense, on the basis that aside from "some 90s-00s comics plus maybe a couple older ones happened and then he had a kid, with a few extra costumes thrown in", almost nothing about Superman's history is truly established at the moment. I expect the 'historical' part of it is going to be a pretty small aspect (probably in issues #2-3), and nothing needs to be rebooted because there was just a reboot that hasn't had its details meaningfully filled in yet. Retcons are likely, maybe even profound ones, but no reboot.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I don't think it's going to actively change any continuity in the Crisis revision sense, on the basis that aside from "some 90s-00s comics plus maybe a couple older ones happened and then he had a kid, with a few extra costumes thrown in", almost nothing about Superman's history is truly established at the moment. I expect the 'historical' part of it is going to be a pretty small aspect (probably in issues #2-3), and nothing needs to be rebooted because there was just a reboot that hasn't had its details meaningfully filled in yet. Retcons are likely, maybe even profound ones, but no reboot.
    Long as they show him throwing furniture around as a toddler, I'm happy!
    Assassinate Putin!

This mini would be the perfect time to re-establish Mon-El as well.