Page 15 of 613 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

To me, based on what Bendis has said, this will be more of a reset of sorts for the character and less a full on reboot. To me a reset is more what , say, the Loeb and Kelly did in 99, Which was not making it their business to toss out anything previously done, but changing focus, weaving in new plots and themes and organically change and retcon things as you go. All the previous stories are still there, but the focus is on building out, not looking back.A reboot is pretty much ripping out entire swaths of stories and replacing them with new stories or new elements to existing stories and go in a radically new direction that doesn't flow from what came before, and going out of their way to back track and establish new canon. I.E. 1986 and 2011. Rebirth to me was a bit of both. It was a combination reset and reboot.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I dunno man, Loeb ended up changing quite a bit. He totally retconned Krypton, which screwed up a number of stories. And I think there were other things he did that were basically the same sort of thing but I forget what they are. It wasn't "rebooting" exactly, but it was as close as you can get without actually doing it.

That's the sort of thing I expect from Bendis. He won't technically erase stuff from continuity (probably) but he'll achieve the same result. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him ignore continuity when he can either. That's become a weakness of his writing in recent years. Too much pull at Marvel meant he could do whatever the hell he wanted to do, like that whole mess with Iron Man's parents. Granted, he's not as big a deal at DC, but he's still one of the biggest names in comics. And Superman has a new editor now right? Who is fairly new and inexperienced? Good luck getting that rookie to hold Brian Bendis in check.

But we'll see. Bendis might be exactly what the franchise needs right now. It'll just depend on which Bendis shows up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm willing to give this a chance. It sounds like the mos miniseries,will be less of a "reboot",and more of a clarification of Superman's history.

While I am happy for Superman fans that this seems to be a big push for the character by dc, I do have to say that I feel sorry for those fans who think that bendis will do anything less than absolutely destroy everything that is happening in the books right now. Bendis used to be my favorite writer but that guy hasn't shown up in a long time. The brilliant writer of Alias, Ultimate Spder-man, Powers and Daredevil is long gone at this point. Superman fans better prepare for a whole lot of issues where nothing happens, where every character regardless of their personality does "bendis speak". Followed by status quo shifts every 4-5 issues that lead to events that kill off characters for no reason only to be followed by more events and more status quo changes. Continuity will be completely ignored and any time Bendis has a character act horribly out of character he will just justify by saying that some random throwaway line from a 30 year old comic established his changes. Ultimately with Bendis writing it is only a matter of when not if Clark will be depowered or killed off so that Bendis can create a more "socially relevant" character or a "character that we need right now". I sincerely hope that I am wrong, I would legitimately be thrilled if he proves me 100 percent wrong but I don't think there is any chance that will happen. Bendis traded in storytelling and character building for shock value a long time ago.
    Last edited by regg215; 02-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno man, Loeb ended up changing quite a bit. He totally retconned Krypton, which screwed up a number of stories. And I think there were other things he did that were basically the same sort of thing but I forget what they are. It wasn't "rebooting" exactly, but it was as close as you can get without actually doing it.

That's the sort of thing I expect from Bendis. He won't technically erase stuff from continuity (probably) but he'll achieve the same result. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him ignore continuity when he can either. That's become a weakness of his writing in recent years. Too much pull at Marvel meant he could do whatever the hell he wanted to do, like that whole mess with Iron Man's parents. Granted, he's not as big a deal at DC, but he's still one of the biggest names in comics. And Superman has a new editor now right? Who is fairly new and inexperienced? Good luck getting that rookie to hold Brian Bendis in check.

But we'll see. Bendis might be exactly what the franchise needs right now. It'll just depend on which Bendis shows up.
    Isn't Brian Cunninghan who is on Superman right now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I hope Superboy (Clark) is officially canon again after this. I don't need him costuming around as a public Smallville superhero, but I do want him being called that at some point by the Legionnaires and have it hammered home that he did adventure with them, both in the future and did do some clandestine superheroing in the present.
    This mini would be the perfect time to re-establish Mon-El as well.
    Wait, has his childhood history with the Legion not been canon since Rebirth? Or is it just ambiguous?

I really wish DC wouldn't keep getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A singular vision is needed for Superman. A true united front of storytelling moving toward a specific goal. I'm not sure if this will be good for me as a reader or not, but a creator taking the wheel of the whole ship is what is needed.

I'm all for that vision, man.

The Superman books have been godawful. They're meandering and kind of just "there", this will fix that for better or worse (honestly can't get any worse). I'm a little tired of origin stories, but Superman's timeline is a mess right now and if Bendis is really going to come in and steer the ship all by himself- he needs his own shot at the backstory. I hate to say it, but we need a new origin.
    Edit #disagree

I like how every thread the haters have to tell everyone how awful the books are.

That’s fine. These aren’t the books you are looking for.
    Last edited by Nick Miller; 02-01-2018 at 05:52 PM.

The stuff with Tony's parents wasn't him, it was Gillen. Tom Taylor ignored it during Superior Iron Man, but, because Bendis has adopted kids he decided to continue the plot as it was personal to him.

Which brings up another point: Jon and Martha adopting and raising Clark is probably gonna be very moving if Bendis revists that stuff, which I hope he does. In Man of Steel at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wait, has his childhood history with the Legion not been canon since Rebirth? Or is it just ambiguous?

I really wish DC wouldn't keep getting rid of it.

It certainly hasn't been ruled out by any stretch, I just don't really consider it confirmed. I mean, the New 52 had it in a sense, as did Secret Origin, but it wasn't really explored much. And on top of that we dont' even know now which one, if either, is canon anymore because those aspects weren't touched upon in those Reborn aftermath issues. So basically I'd just like a solid, on-the-page confirmation. A few panels of him in costume with them or something.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bendis talks about two bombs being dropped in Action #1000 that will drive things going forward. My first thoughts:

One: Krypton was intentionally destroyed.

Two: Jonathan and Martha Kent are alive. And not brought back via a timeline change. Literally revived after being dead in continuity all this time.
    I agree with this. Highly likely.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

In case there was any confusion: Patrick Gleason is taking over art duties on action comics. He's mentioned in the official press release: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/02...blishing-plans

And Ivan Reis is doing Superman

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Kaminski is editor, not Cunningham.

in 1999, the line revamped without any changes to the mythos.

later, they threw virtually nothing out the window but added a revelation. the only notable thing that changed was really his understanding of history, but even then the PZ Krypton was never confirmed, but a possibility. which was completely undone and forgotten by a year and a half later. Schultz had already been grooming Superman to embrace his identity as Kal El for a while before that, though.

for those worried about the past altered or stories thrown out, well, Bendis worked at Marvel for almost 20 years. if they do one thing, it's move forward and leave behind old canon without necessarily burying it. if anything I would more likely believe they'd put more stuff into canon than take out, since we can possibly see pre crisis elements to the little bit so far and the emphasis on roots.

Man of steel will have to be the sort of work that doesn't make Year One redundant.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Kaminski is editor, not Cunningham.

they literally threw nothing out the window but added a retcon. the only notable thing that changed was really his understanding of history, but even then the PZ Krypton was never confirmed, but a possibility. which was completely undone and forgotten by a year and a half later. Schultz had already been grooming Superman to embrace his identity as Kal El for a while before that, though.

for those worried about the past altered or stories thrown out, well, Bendis worked at Marvel for almost 20 years. if they do one thing, it's move forward and leave behind old canon without necessarily burying it. if anything I would more likely believe they'd put more stuff into canon than take out, since we can possibly see pre crisis elements to the little bit so far and the emphasis on roots.

Man of steel will have to be the sort of work that doesn't make Year One redundant.
    Has it been confirmed whether Year One will be Canon or not? To be honest I nearly forgot that was even coming.

The Krypton retcon under Loeb was pretty nebulous to be honest.i think it's only purpose was to find a way to bring Krypto back and reopen the door on reintroducing Zod and maybe eventually Kara. Loeb and co. Still acknowledged the Byrne Krypton and the stories that came out of it as having happened, but it just threw a question mark up to the veracity of everything Supes experienced regarding what he knew and was told. It was eventually undone and retconned away anyhow, but it never threw out any stories.

Now, if Loeb had suddenly went back to silver age Krypton without an explanation in story or an acknowledgement of previous stories? That would have been a reboot. Again, I.E. Byrne's MAN OF STEEL and Morrison's New 52 Action arc.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's possible, but so hard to believe YO will be in continuity. Keeping Miller in the loop isn't something we've seen since what... Man Without Fear? Where he just basically did his own thing anyway and they merely decided to have it both ways with the DD origin.

MoS is definitely in continuity. which is interesting because if Bendis is aiming for something sort of close to the golden age and Miller is doing the same... hm. Funny thing when they've announced a project like that so many months ago.