Page 16 of 613 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116516 ... LastLast

With Bendis doing this new MOS mini that definitely looks to be hammering out the origin, I'm next to positive Miller's work is going to be a completely stand-alone endeavor.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Anyone think there might be a chance that July is when the DCU moves ahead a year? With all these changes slated for July and Doomsday Clock having originally be slated to end in November, I wonder if the original plan was for the DCU to jump ahead and catch up at the halfway point of the event, and then use those last four months of Doomsday Clock to fill in any blanks about the state of the verse. They could still conceivably do the same thing even with the delay, only happening over a longer period and more at the quarter point of Doomsday Clock. Just a thought.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What's the point of doing something new if you don't DO anything New? Superman had clear cut offs in the past. Golden Age became Silver Age, Silver Age became Bronze. Then a gunning thing started happening when guys like Johns and his ilk took over. The Silver Age started bleeding into the Bronze age when before the two had been entirely seperate. Kara Zor-El came back replaceingvthe already established Matrix/Danvers hybrid. Why was this neccessary? Why bring back all the kryptonite when it was shown Kyrptonite was highly toxic to humans as well? Yet we let it happen cause we wanted continuity like this was Marvel or Something. Yes Marvel has continuity but It's ****ed. Golden Age Supes got to grow old and have a life. Captain America will never grow old thanks to the sliding timescale. The different eras and multiple earths let creators BREATH. You could change things up whilst still bring true to the material. You hands weren't tied cause you could just reboot things if needed and do a fresh new take on a character or hell change the character entirely. We are we so beholden to the past? Mine sucked, I was a kid with no say and no money. As an Adult I have both. Nostalgia is for suckers who can't realize how good they got it. I liked the New 52 it was fresh and it made sense how it was presented. We live in a different time, It's not the 40's, 50's, 70's,80's,00's or 10's hell it's almost the 2020's(still no flying cars what a gyp.) Why would a characters who presumably grew up in the 90's wear trunk on his Superhero costume when have **** like Under Armor now and compression gear. Trunks would look...odd next to that level of gear. Plus he has access to Space **** that can make invulnerable gear why use Trunks? I thought comics were meant to push boundaries not stay stuck in the past. It makes no good goddamn sense other then to appease the Nostalgia monkeys. I just a book about an interesting take of modern Superheroes and guess what no Trunks. (Shorts in the follow-up but no Trunks. Ok ONE guy was wearing trunk like clothing in the comic but he was a basically a sell out so it makes sense for him if you think about it. Fits into my Socially acceptable narrative. Gotta dress ridiculous so you don't scare the straights.) But That's my two cents.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 02-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.

BANNED

I'm sorry, Superman fans.

Astonishing Member

I've never read anything Bendis has ever written.

So I get to try this run out 100% cold and just see what I think.

Anyway all I can really comment on is the structure. We get a prologue in Action # 1000. We get a miniseries. Then we get a relaunch. We get the promise of Action Comics being more "Daily Planet" based. Does that mean "More Metropolis"? Does that mean stories that involve journalists actually acting like journalists? Does that mean we get more Jimmy? More Perry? More Maggie Sawyer? I certainly hope so. I've been dying for a "Gotham Central" style take on Metropolis and anything that even leans in that direction appeals to me.

Does Tomasi continue writing Super Sons, and continue his, well, continuation of his Superman stuff (AND his Batman stuff) there, in that title?

Where else does Tomasi go? Because that's a big damn question. Jurgens can go all kinds of places ... a new Booster Gold series seems the obvious one, natch. But where Tomasi lands is sort of a big deal. He's done the Green Lantern thing alongside Johns, he's done the Batman thing alongside Morrison and Snyder, now he's done the Superman thing alongside Jurgens. Where do you go from there?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm close to being in the same boat. I read one arc of Ultimate Spider-Man before, and it was so long ago I don't even remember which it was. So I'm for all intents and purposes coming in cold too.

I'm actually kinda wishing Gleason would have moved on too. He's a good artist I just would have liked to see new art across the board.

As for Tomasi I dunno...complete the trifecta and see what he can do with Wonder Woman? If July marks a new team for her too that is, which wouldn't surprise me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm close to being in the same boat. I read one arc of Ultimate Spider-Man before, and it was so long ago I don't even remember which it was. So I'm for all intents and purposes coming in cold too.

I'm actually kinda wishing Gleason would have moved on too. He's a good artist I just would have liked to see new art across the board.

As for Tomasi I dunno...complete the trifecta and see what he can do with Wonder Woman? If July marks a new team for her too that is, which wouldn't surprise me.
    While it probably will happen knowing DC, I wish DC would just give a female writer Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

One of them I'm almost certain will be that Krypton's demise was in fact a deliberate genocide.
    If I was doing it, I would pursue the same angle. Although, I'd have it be an act caused by Brainiac (which is something Johns did with the character.) I'd also have Superboy be a part of Supes history (omitting it was one of the downsides to Byrne's reboot.) Although I wouldn't have him be an open hero. Just one who operates in Smallville secretly.

I'd keep Ma Kent alive. It is a compromise between "both being dead or both alive."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    While it probably will happen knowing DC, I wish DC would just give a female writer Wonder Woman.
    They did. Gail Simone had a run before JMS got his grubby mitts on her. To be fair, it wasn't particularly memorable. Although she did create Wonder Woman's own Doomsday character: Genocide. Who was a clay construct. With the clay being taken from places of mass murder and genocidal acts.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Same. The new schedule opens up some real possibilities for other artists. Gleason, I think, will be bringing to the table the same stuff we've been seeing from him.

Anyone think there might be a chance that July is when the DCU moves ahead a year? With all these changes slated for July and Doomsday Clock having originally be slated to end in November, I wonder if the original plan was for the DCU to jump ahead and catch up at the halfway point of the event, and then use those last four months of Doomsday Clock to fill in any blanks about the state of the verse. They could still conceivably do the same thing even with the delay, only happening over a longer period and more at the quarter point of Doomsday Clock. Just a thought.
    I haven't thought about it. But now that you mention this, its quite possible. DC Nation #0. It has this kind of a name. So, the plan of catching up with Doomsday Clock for all titles could have changed. And this is what they are doing. I won't be surprised if that is the case.

I've smashed every window in my flat.

And with the rage now out my system, I've calmed down from the Super-trunks Rebirth (I just find it all a metaphor for near everything I hate about Corporate Comics) and found some mental clarity to allow myself reasonably excited by this announcement.

I'm not a Super-marriage or Super-son fan, but Superman seems to be getting some real care and attention from above and its about time.

Movie-Supes really didn't fly in the way Warner wanted (needed?) him to and the comics (from my somewhat biased, cynical and jaded perspective [bolded for emphasis]) have hardly left second gear even with all the new (old) bells and whistles attached.

While I myself would much rather the character be given a solid boot in the back-to-basics and be rid of all this old-man spouse and kids nonsense (growth/ progression/ natural arc, yadda yadda; heard it all and don't agree so no need. We all acknowledge where we stand and that's fine), a fresh(ish) voice and a new push could be just the ticket.

Bendis isnt for everyone and has unfortunately been guilty of phoning it in recently (looking at you, Civil War 2). But he is undeniably one of the most critically and commercially successful creators of his generation. This shakeup is a good thing if only for a glimpse at how DC may be managing its books in future.

Looking forward to what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I am happy for Superman fans that this seems to be a big push for the character by dc, I do have to say that I feel sorry for those fans who think that bendis will do anything less than absolutely destroy everything that is happening in the books right now. Bendis used to be my favorite writer but that guy hasn't shown up in a long time. The brilliant writer of Alias, Ultimate Spder-man, Powers and Daredevil is long gone at this point. Superman fans better prepare for a whole lot of issues where nothing happens, where every character regardless of their personality does "bendis speak". Followed by status quo shifts every 4-5 issues that lead to events that kill off characters for no reason only to be followed by more events and more status quo changes. Continuity will be completely ignored and any time Bendis has a character act horribly out of character he will just justify by saying that some random throwaway line from a 30 year old comic established his changes. Ultimately with Bendis writing it is only a matter of when not if Clark will be depowered or killed off so that Bendis can create a more "socially relevant" character or a "character that we need right now". I sincerely hope that I am wrong, I would legitimately be thrilled if he proves me 100 percent wrong but I don't think there is any chance that will happen. Bendis traded in storytelling and character building for shock value a long time ago.
    I have been reading these criticisms for some time. As soon as it was announced that he has become DC exclusive. So i am worried like you. The books had been enjoyable so far. He has the potential to be awful. I hope that his recent decline was due to being stagnant. When a creator is in one place for so long there's a possibility of running out of new things to say. Of exhausting their creative juices. So, i am hoping that this invigorates him. A bit of fear and skepticism is healthy. You can be right and it can turn horrible. If i don't like it i would drop them like hot potatoes. After giving a fair shot.

Super Sons starts a new arc in April. Say its a 3 issue arc, at minimum, its safe till June. Bendis stuff starts in July.

The combination of Bendis and Superman is so out there I'm going to buy these issues out of sheer curiosity.

I'm going to be optimistic. To be fair, we don't know what Bendis on DC characters really would look like yet. I have to say though, I'm actually excited to see how this experiment plays out.

What if he writes one of the greatest Superman runs of all time?