Page 166 of 613 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 9194
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It doesn't matter if its just speculation or not. When one has an ax to grind, and especially when what they're opposed to is thus far overwhelmingly critically and fan praised, they'll grab anything in their anger to support that anger fuller.

And I'm not judging (though I AM getting a little tired of the "sheep" insinuations towards others, that's a line). I've been there. I've majorly disliked moves in the recent past that were largely lauded and thus left me out in the cold. Its not a good feeling. But it also leads to paper-thin arguments, contradictions, and double-standards and isn't fair to the creator(s).
    Taking a piece of speculation and using it to further your ax-grinding is one thing but the fault for that lies not on the one doing the speculating but on the ax grinder themselves. They are, after all, the ones who are taking those speculations and using them to strengthen whatever their argument is. Any piece of speculation, good or bad, could be used in such a manner and, if we wanted to get technical, even those who view Bendis's work in a positive light do the same just in a more positive, and therefore, acceptable manner. It six one way, half a dozen the other really.

Personally, its absolutely fine for people to be worried and to voice those concerns if they feel the need. Its likewise just fine for people to not want to read the books because they feel a writer isn't to be trusted with a character they love. I really don't see a problem at all with either of those things.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-14-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Taking a piece of speculation and using it to further your ax-grinding is one thing but the fault for that lies not on the one doing the speculating but on the ax grinder themselves. They are, after all, the ones who are taking those speculations and using them to strengthen whatever their argument is. Any piece of speculation, good or bad, could be used in such a manner and, if we wanted to get technical, even those who view Bendis's work in a positive light do the same just in a more positive, and therefore, acceptable manner. It six one way, half a dozen the other really.

Personally, its absolutely fine for people to be worried and to voice those concerns if they feel the need. Its likewise just fine for people to not want to read the books because they feel a writer isn't to be trusted with a character they love. I really don't see a problem at all with either of those things.
    Oh, it is fine for people to be worried and to speak out about those worries, and it's fine for them not to want to read the books or push for something more like what they want. Where I take issue is things like attacking other fans with things like "Stockholm syndrome" or (conversely, as I've also heard on here) that fans "just can't handle change" (usually levied at those who liked Rebirth or the trunks) - we don't need to be attacking each other like that. Even as much as I'm known here to dislike the DCEU, I don't hate on those who do like it (or at least, I don't intend to, and my sincere apologies to any who've ever felt I have). Debate (even intense debate), sure, but not attack a fellow fan for what they like. That track is wasted, anyway; focusing on the company and the creators is how change really happens, since the fans have no direct power, really. All that having been said, I do know that we as fans are very attached to these characters and thus protective, so tempers and emotions of all stripes can be deep and powerful enough to push us past things we normally wouldn't do.

I do still think it's early to speculate too much, but I do have a few small "I hope this doesn't go how I feel it could go" type things in the back of my head, and I can't blame others for having the same or similar concerns.
    Last edited by JAK; 06-14-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd say good luck with getting people to boycott the upcoming run, but really I can only wish luck to positive aspirations. Bendis did a great job with the Time interview and I enjoy outlets such as Time and Forbes stopping to talk comics. All you can do is shoot for high attention and then try to tell the best story you can once eyes are on you. For whatever quirks or plot points some may end up not liking, I think it's more than clear that he's really trying. I wish him the best.
    He definitely seems to be putting everything he's got into this. And he's apparently a real fan of the character, which goes a long way in my book. Any writer who puts their all into Superman gets my respect for trying, if not my money.

I can see it if this is a run people don't like. But boycotting the title? On what grounds? That they didn't like Bendis' other work? That's some ridiculous fan entitlement right there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And I'm not judging (though I AM getting a little tired of the "sheep" insinuations towards others, that's a line). I've been there. I've majorly disliked moves in the recent past that were largely lauded and thus left me out in the cold. Its not a good feeling. But it also leads to paper-thin arguments, contradictions, and double-standards and isn't fair to the creator(s).
    Really? That's a thing?

Please. Hating on Bendis is like, one of the biggest bandwagons in comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Can't understand the dislike myself. Heck I plan on buying the trade when it comes out. I'm really enjoying the characterization Bendis brings to Superman it's really refreshing seeing our hero having fun and being humorous while taking his job seriously that's a fine line to tread that's for sure and Bendis walks it like a champ.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Can't understand the dislike myself. Heck I plan on buying the trade when it comes out. I'm really enjoying the characterization Bendis brings to Superman it's really refreshing seeing our hero having fun and being humorous while taking his job seriously that's a fine line to tread that's for sure and Bendis walks it like a champ.
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit myself, and I haven't enjoyed most of Bendis' work in recent years at all.

And I'm not even hating on the people who aren't enjoying Superman right now. Don't like it because the book isn't to your tastes? Cool, no worries. But hating it just because its Bendis' name on the cover? Who and what is that helping? I mean, I got writers I avoid, but I don't get actually angry about those writers having jobs, I just don't read their work. Some people act like Bendis existing is some kind of affront to humanity. It's weird.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I just thought of something

What if the "non traditional family" thing means Lois and Clark will adopt someone to fill the void left by Jon if he vanishes?

Bendis himself has adopted kids.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

What if the "non traditional family" thing means Lois and Clark will adopt someone to fill the void left by Jon if he vanishes?

Jon isn't vanishing though, if they ever adopt a kid, it won't be because of Jon staying with jor el for a while.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    if they ever adopt a kid, it won't be because of Jon staying with jor el for a while.
    And you know this....how?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I've actually thought about this as a possibility at some point in Bendis' run, but i don't think it would be to fill the void left by Jon, but in addition to Jon. I actually wouldn't mind Lois and Clark eventually adopting a human child.

Or...give Lois and Clark another natural born child. After all, the way Jon was brought in we pretty much missed Lois' pregnancy and Jon's early years. One of the complaints about Jon that is somewhat valid is that he just sort of was dropped into continuity instead of developing him organically, so why not have a do over of sorts. Don't erase Jon or replace him...but give him a little brother or Sister that we can eventually see grow up.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I've actually thought about this as a possibility at some point in Bendis' run, but i don't think it would be to fill the void left by Jon, but in addition to Jon. I actually wouldn't mind Lois and Clark eventually adopting a human child.
    You know I wouldn't mind seeing Lois and Clark adopting or even maybe fostering a child at some point. I think Jon would make an awesome brother and it would give him someone in his family other than his parents to play off of.

Or...give Lois and Clark another natural born child. After all, the way Jon was brought in we pretty much missed Lois' pregnancy and Jon's early years. One of the complaints about Jon that is somewhat valid is that he just sort of was dropped into continuity instead of developing him organically, so why not have a do over of sorts. Don't erase Jon or replace him...but give him a little brother or Sister that we can eventually see grow up.
    Honestly given how many characters just sort of get dropped into continuity anyway I don't understand this complaint. Damian Wayne, who I guess would be closest equivalent to Jon, was dropped into continuity at age 10 as well and that wasn't organic either really. I guess it depends on your point of view but I don't really see it as an issue especially since Jon has had plenty of development since his first appearance. I'd have way more of a problem with it if Jon was a one dimensional character but he's not thankfully.

I would love it though if somehow Lois and Clark could have another natural born child. I wouldn't really be expecting things to get very far in that scenario mind you because this is comics and things get retconned away all the time but still it would be nice to see that they could have another child and it would also be nice to see what sort of family dynamic would result from that. I think Jon would make a great older brother myself so I would absolutely love to see that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

And you know this....how?
    Obviously don't know, but it would Just be a very rash decision to adopt a kid because you miss another. And Bendis hasn't hinted at anything like that happening.

BANNED

Hunter from JL

But I wouldn't mind a daughter for them either

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    You know I wouldn't mind seeing Lois and Clark adopting or even maybe fostering a child at some point. I think Jon would make an awesome brother and it would give him someone in his family other than his parents to play off of.

Honestly given how many characters just sort of get dropped into continuity anyway I don't understand this complaint. Damian Wayne, who I guess would be closest equivalent to Jon, was dropped into continuity at age 10 as well and that wasn't organic either really. I guess it depends on your point of view but I don't really see it as an issue especially since Jon has had plenty of development since his first appearance. I'd have way more of a problem with it if Jon was a one dimensional character but he's not thankfully.

I would love it though if somehow Lois and Clark could have another natural born child. I wouldn't really be expecting things to get very far in that scenario mind you because this is comics and things get retconned away all the time but still it would be nice to see that they could have another child and it would also be nice to see what sort of family dynamic would result from that. I think Jon would make a great older brother myself so I would absolutely love to see that.
    The difference with Damian is that he was an unknown child in the lore. Bruce didn't know he existed, he was the product with a supporting character he hadn't been close to in some time. Thus it made more sense to explain away the readership not knowing that he existed, that Talia was ever pregnant (had a test tube, whatever), etc. Damian was, in the continuity, a surprise on Bruce's doorstep. If you go from pre-FP to Rebirth, we have a Lois Lane who had never been pregnant before to having given birth to a son ten years ago. The former is a whole lot easier to swallow than the latter.

As for adoption or another kid, I hope not right now. Maybe in the future but not right now. I'd like to be able to enjoy this time, however brief, where he gets to do some solo'ing. When it comes to an unorthodox family set up, for now I think what Bendis means is simply that its going to be different when the patriarch of your family is Superman. For obvious reasons. I could easily see adoption or something coming into play in the future though if Bendis stays a while.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Bendis has signed with the WME talent agency

https://www.newsarama.com/40402-bria...me-report.html