Page 168 of 613 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 9194
    Astonishing Member

I'd simply like to mention the New52 Superman/convergence Superman merger which, as far as I am concerned, is the lowest and cheapest moment in terms of character development I've seen in literally my whole life in a superhero comic book. The point of no return.
    Last edited by Myskin; 06-15-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    2. Had Krypton’s death be tied to an outside force, something Johns had hinted at with Brainiac.
    A lot of people never mention it, but Krypton was NOT destroyed for natural causes even in pre-Infinite crisis continuity.
    Byrne firmly established that the Black Zero organization voluntarily and knowingly sent a burst of energy into Krypton's core which resulted in the explosion of the planet decades later. Without them, Krypton would have never exploded.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I'd simply like to mention the New52 Superman/convergence Superman merger which, as far as I am concerned, is the lowest and cheapest moment in terms of character development I've seen in literally my whole life in a superhero comic book. The point of no return.
    Ehh I guess but Superman is still being written the same way he has been for years so the character development wasn't really anything major so to speak.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Ehh I guess but Superman is still being written the same way he has been for years so the character development wasn't really anything major so to speak.
    I agree, and - by the way - I also think that in Rebirth the quality bar was way lower than readers think it to be.
    However, from a narrative standpoint, the worst thing any writer could do is merging two characters (with their own past and personal experience) into one. Heck, it is such a lousy solution that even the Clone Saga avoided it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Supermen merger feels like a last minute desperate move to fix a problem they've created by themselves.

BANNED

I agree, and - by the way - I also think that in Rebirth the quality bar was way lower than readers think it to be.
    However, from a narrative standpoint, the worst thing any writer could do is merging two characters (with their own past and personal experience) into one. Heck, it is such a lousy solution that even the Clone Saga avoided it.
    New 52 Superman was always an extension of Post Crisis Superman with deliberate editorial mandates like removal of his relationship with Lois, no Daily Planet etc. The Death of Superman arc for instance was considered canon. No what DC did was strike out those top management restrictions from the New 52 Superman. It was the existence of New 52 Superman that was cheap. If they wanted a rebooted Superman then they should have left it to the writers. Instead they just removed what the editorial thought some so called fans didn't like while retaining other things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The Supermen merger feels like a last minute desperate move to fix a problem they've created by themselves.
    Absolutely.
    Narratively speaking, it was awful anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    New 52 Superman was always an extension of Post Crisis Superman with deliberate editorial mandates like removal of his relationship with Lois, no Daily Planet etc. The Death of Superman arc for instance was considered canon. No what DC did was strike out those top management restrictions from the New 52 Superman. It was the existence of New 52 Superman that was cheap. If they wanted a rebooted Superman then they should have left it to the writers. Instead they just removed what the editorial thought some so called fans didn't like while retaining other things.
    While I agree with you, can we please stop taking swipes at fans for not liking certain elements? It's just as bad as saying Bendis fans are sheep/apologists

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    While I agree with you, can we please stop taking swipes at fans for not liking certain elements? It's just as bad as saying Bendis fans are sheep/apologists
    Well obviously those changes were designed to cater to some group. People who dont like Lois, Lex, Daily Planet etc are not really Superman fans imo. They should just look for another character, there are dozens of Superman ripoffs out there.

Still its about Bendis not New 52 so you're right.

I'm still not sure about Bendis writing both books but Superman atleast I'm going to check out.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It always surprises me that people believe this to be possible. The only character that can't return is a character that was never there. The point of no return is about as impossible as telling the ultimate story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It always surprises me that people believe this to be possible.
    Look. Of course you shouldn't take this hyperbole verbatim. What I mean is that the Superman merger, from a narrative standpoint, is lazy, lame, half-assed, bad, ugly, poor, stupid, silly, derp, cheap, lousy, stinky, atrocious, desperate, abysmal, awful, terrible, horrible, despicable, no good, second-rate, inferior, disgusting, loathsome, revolting, shortsighted, foolish, dumb, dull, laughable, ludicrous, pointless, puerile, mediocre, uninspired and meh. Hope it is clearer now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Well-said! Any reboot should have happened in the Earth-One line that existed alongside the N52. The only people who felt the problems with the Superman titles before Flashpoint required an entire reboot of the character was DiDio, though I suspect the lawsuit with the heirs had something to do with it as well.

The N52 Superman was virtually a non-entity, with only Morrison and Pak really adding any depth to the character. After five years, there was nowhere to go with him as Superman, as DiDio and Yang had stripped all that makes Superman iconic from the character. The only other option would have been to establish that N52 Superman was from an alternate Earth, but doing that wouldn't have mattered because very few people would have cared enough to warrant seeing that iteration of the character again. Lots of people continue to hope for the N52 versions of the characters to return in their own universe somehow, but there's a better chance that DC will launch a line of books continuing the post-Crisis continuity right after Zero Hour. That ere was immensely popular and successful, two words that can't be applied to the N52 or its "Superman."
    Last edited by Atlas; 06-16-2018 at 10:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Lots of people continue to hope for the N52 versions of the characters to return in their own universe somehow
    Really, what is there worth keeping that could sustain a N52 universe? Krypto looking like a savage, Lois as Superwoman and Clark & Diana making out? Blech. Good riddance to it all.

Everything else redeemable about the N52 has already been amalgamated into the Rebirth and Reborn timelines, everything that didn't work isn't going to be revisited..why would there be a need to? It didn't work then, it wouldn't be sustainable now.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-16-2018 at 10:20 AM.

but there's a better chance that DC will launch a line of books continuing the post-Crisis continuity right after Zero Hour. That ere was immensely popular and successful, two words that can't be applied to the N52 or its "Superman."
    Revisionist history. The idea of the younger core heroes, putting any titles like New 52 or otherwise aside, had appeal and was popular. There's a chance they'll explore that again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Really, what is there worth keeping that could sustain a N52 universe? Krypto looking like a savage, Lois as Superwoman and Clark & Diana making out? Blech. Good riddance to it all.

Everything else redeemable about the N52 has already been amalgamated into the Rebirth and Reborn timelines, everything that didn't work isn't going to be revisited..why would there be a need to? It didn't work then, it wouldn't be sustainable now.
    Completely agree, but there are some here that want that N52 status quo back.