Page 190 of 613 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 9194
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I honestly don't know what else Bendis could say that could alleviate fears. But I guess people just want to complain.
    I doubt there is much of anything that Bendis can say himself that could alleviate some people's fears. I'm afraid the only thing that might be capable of doing so is through what he does with Clark and the rest and that, unfortunately, is something that requires the passage of time. Until then people will be unsettled about everything that is said and frankly I don't believe anything makes their concerns out and out invalid. Heck, I share some of the concerns that have been voiced by people since Bendis was announced as the writer. Now having said that I also am willing to at least give him the chance to prove those concerns to have been wrong. Lois being separated from Clark could mean a lot of different scenarios and at the moment all we have is speculation.

There are a lot of ways this could be headed to be honest including that they are actually going through a rough patch in their marriage that requires them to step away from each other for a time to sort things out. It's not an impossible direction to take this in at all nor does it necessarily mean that it couldn't end in a divorce. Now I don't happen to think it will at all because I chose to believe that their marriage is a strong one that will weather this rough patch but that doesn't prevent me from also having a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that it could happen. (After all the people in charge at DC HAVE done some pretty boneheaded things in the past.)
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

This has turned into a weird situation where r/comicbooks is the one freaking out and they’re all ready burn DC’s offices down. Usually, the CBR boards are the ones with the pitchforks and torches.

Bendis has said everything right and, in my opinion, he’s done everything right so far. I’m enjoying this era of Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Nothing we haven't seen before

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    To clarify where the concerns are coming from, at least for my part and maybe others' (although I won't presume to speak for them), it's not enough or okay to say that Lois won't be dead or Lois and Clark won't be divorced or separated for awhile, and to use the fact that this is one part of a longer story to reassure when the problem isn't any of those things per se. The problem isn't a status update of where Lois and Clark are or when that status will change. It's the storytelling mechanics and the quality of the storytelling. There are much better ways to have Lois, Lois and Clark, and their whole family with Jon, tackle some of these issues or encounter stress than this contrived and stupid Jor-El plot. In a way, it's even worse when people try to placate concerned fans by talking about how it will all be over and things will be good as new so quickly, because then what what was the point?

Yeah, that's fair. I get that, especially your last thought. But something pretty similar could be said about any story in this particular medium where things are obligated to have a recognizable resting position. The journey becomes the point most of the time. And seeing whatever external forces come to incite and incident and disrupt their resting position is where I can at least say I find the fun. It becomes doubly fun when I know a writer is gonna be on for a while because that means the ramifications of the journey have a better chance of being commented on or used for more story.

So while I can't speak on what the specific point will be--because I didn't write it--I can say that there's greater chance of being a point in this specific situation.

All I really feel comfortable saying to those who are unsure but wanna stick around is that we're still in act 1 (ending with the next two issues I think). But if you're not down to follow since you've been burned before, and don't feel like even entreating the possibility again, then that's okay too. I genuinely hope those unsure eventually start to enjoy the run the way I've been so far.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well damn, there go the air raid sirens. Everything he's saying regarding Action #1004 suggests that'll be a very temporary state of affairs - it's not like she left mad at him, and I can't imagine her finding anything in space to change that - but that ain't gonna matter in the short term in the slightest. I mean heck, the main couple separated for reasons that are distinctly more than meets the eye where they quickly get back together once the situation's resolved is how he opened the last volume of Jessica Jones (but she's distinctly his, so I suppose he gets extra slack there).
    I don't think there is anything here that says that it's going to be very temporary and I don't think it really matters. What matters to me is that Lois is written in CHARACTER and I'm not convinced that Bendis is going to do that based on the 6 issues I've already read where he handled her thus far and based on his previous treatment of women across his career.

I'm sure Bendis will provide explanations about "why" they are separated. But I don't think that's going to be the issue. The issue, at least to me (I can't speak for the others upset) is that I'm not convinced this is going to be a convincing reason that respects who Lois is, respects their history and approach to problem solving and makes SENSE to me as a female reader.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis literally said Lois will get a lot of spotlight in Action, she'll be starring in at least 2 issues(1004 & 1005.) She'll at least have small appearances in 1001-1003.. we see her in a flashback in Superman 1. Bendis has said nothing but positive things about her in the two new interviews.

I honestly don't know what else Bendis could say that could alleviate fears. But I guess people just want to complain.
    I can't speak for other people but I'm intensely bothered that it seems like Lois can only apparently get spotlight and be worthy of page time when she's on the rocks with her husband.

I'm trying hard to explain how that makes me feel and all I can tell you is that it feels to ME sometimes like Lois is either allowed to be the "strong intrepid journalist" or the "loving wife and mother" and she is literally never allowed to be both at the same time. And that's a problem to me. It bothers me a LOT.

I want Lois to get spotlight and a solo book more than anyone. I would buy 100 copies. But if it comes at the expense of her relationship and her marriage....I'm intensely bothered. Because the message I take from that is that these writers (who again it HAS To be stressed are all men) do not believe that women like Lois can both have a career they love AND be in a successful marriage. It makes me feel like they are saying that in order for Lois to be worthy of focus she has to be alone. And that's just really depressing.

But I would love to be wrong. I would absolutely love for Bendis to show us that he does NOT believe that and that he both wants to focus on Lois a lot as a person AND still allow her to be in a healthy marriage. But given the context? That's not what I see happening and that's a problem. I do not like the message that women have to be alone or essentially leave their husbands to be worthy of strength and focus. It's a bad message. So I hope that is not what is happening here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    To clarify where the concerns are coming from, at least for my part and maybe others' (although I won't presume to speak for them), it's not enough or okay to say that Lois won't be dead or Lois and Clark won't be divorced or separated for awhile, and to use the fact that this is one part of a longer story to reassure when the problem isn't any of those things per se. The problem isn't a status update of where Lois and Clark are or when that status will change. It's the storytelling mechanics and the quality of the storytelling. There are much better ways to have Lois, Lois and Clark, and their whole family with Jon, tackle some of these issues or encounter stress than this contrived and stupid Jor-El plot. In a way, it's even worse when people try to placate concerned fans by talking about how it will all be over and things will be good as new so quickly, because then what what was the point?
    I agree. You nailed it. The problem isn't the status update per se. The problem is the way this story has unfolded. I am beyond here for a writer who actually wants to devote time to Lois, Clark and Jon as a true family unit and what that means. I am beyond here for a writer who wants to give Lois focus (as a journalist I would hope) but I also want a writer who understands that focusing on Lois as a powerful woman should not actually be at odds with her marriage? Essentially, I'm bothered by the plot contrivances with Jor-El to get here because this doesn't feel like organic storytelling to me which makes me really nervous for the rest of this run.

Lol just realize one of the last things Jon and Lois say are "we'll be back before you know it" and then "we really will" as they both basically look at us, the reader, right behind Clark as we likely feeling the same way he does about them going. Neither Clark nor us expected that they'd be back as soon as they will be. Funny bit of meta right there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm actually slightly disappointed they're not going to be gone that long, as it means they're not going to get to do the bonding I was hoping to see. Especially considering Lois comes back first as it is so they're not really together just the two of them (not counting Jor-El) that long.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Still the extremely high likelihood of flashbacks framed as Lois righting her book. Not really sure how long they were gone, but there's that. Plus a whole run full of possibility ahead of us.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I can't speak for other people but I'm intensely bothered that it seems like Lois can only apparently get spotlight and be worthy of page time when she's on the rocks with her husband.

I'm trying hard to explain how that makes me feel and all I can tell you is that it feels to ME sometimes like Lois is either allowed to be the "strong intrepid journalist" or the "loving wife and mother" and she is literally never allowed to be both at the same time. And that's a problem to me. It bothers me a LOT.

I want Lois to get spotlight and a solo book more than anyone. I would buy 100 copies. But if it comes at the expense of her relationship and her marriage....I'm intensely bothered. Because the message I take from that is that these writers (who again it HAS To be stressed are all men) do not believe that women like Lois can both have a career they love AND be in a successful marriage. It makes me feel like they are saying that in order for Lois to be worthy of focus she has to be alone. And that's just really depressing.

But I would love to be wrong. I would absolutely love for Bendis to show us that he does NOT believe that and that he both wants to focus on Lois a lot as a person AND still allow her to be in a healthy marriage. But given the context? That's not what I see happening and that's a problem. I do not like the message that women have to be alone or essentially leave their husbands to be worthy of strength and focus. It's a bad message. So I hope that is not what is happening here.
    I agree 100% that it would be annoying that Lois can only get spotlight if she has relationship troubles. Fourtnately, we still haven't seen any relationship troubles occur..besides a small argument about whether she should leave Earth or not. Her and Clark were still on great terms when she left with Jor-El and Jon.

We don't even know if there will be relationship troubles in action comics. All we know is that Lois is on a seperate mission the first few issues of the story. We can speculate otherwise, but we can't get mad at Bendis for relationship problems we are only speculating(without any actual basis besides them just not being with each other.) Saying that, I do get being mad at Bendis for how he wrote Lois & others, and we can all have our opinions on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Still the extremely high likelihood of flashbacks framed as Lois righting her book. Not really sure how long they were gone, but there's that. Plus a whole run full of possibility ahead of us.
    They're gone for the entire summer I believe, so about 3-4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    True, true. And depending on where Action picks up, who knows how long she was actually gone. Could jump ahead a few months like DragonPiece suggested.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    They're gone for the entire summer I believe, so about 3-4 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    True, true. And depending on where Action picks up, who knows how long she was actually gone. Could jump ahead a few months like DragonPiece suggested.
    Yeah Lois and Jon both said they planed on the summer, but Bendis seems to imply that she's back earlier, so I don't actually know how long it's been. Maybe a few weeks? Maybe a month?