Page 20 of 613 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeding Cool speculating Bendis changed a lot of the plans for Superman, don't seem to actually have any rumors, just going by tweets. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...mice-supermen/
    Seems like DC is primed to do the same thing that Marvel did, just give him carte blanche with the books they give him, which has lead to some really terrible books.

I've never read a Bendis book, so I'm fine with this. I'm sorry to see Jurgens go, only because the Triangle Era is my favorite Superman period and Action during Rebirth (like the L&C book before it) has felt like a natural extension of that so I've been very pleased with it. It makes me wonder what the recent foreshadowing in Action of the "Earth/Krypton War" was about, since Jurgens is leaving. Maybe it's something Bendis will do later as his first DC Event, or perhaps just something Jurgens is keeping in his back pocket for a rainy day (it was said to not have happened yet, so it was not a reference to the Pre-Flashpoint New Krypton stuff).

I'm ecstatic to see DC put some push behind Superman, as he usually appears more like a 5th wheel to the Trinity than a true pillar. So I'm excited to see where this goes. I'm also fine with one creator having both titles, and giving us a true unified voice. Tomasi & Jurgens' runs complimented each other very well, but often didn't sync up very good when trade-reading. It was sometimes hard to figure out which stories took place before/after the other, and for a guy who keeps his trades on a shelf in "character chronological order" as opposed to "chronological by series", it was a pain in the butt. This is obviously my Triangle bias coming through, but I imagine Bendis will use each title to reinforce the other, with references to each other & characters crossing over occasionally. I'm trying to recall, did Kathy ever appear in Action while they still lived in Hamilton? I know Bendis will keep each series seperate for the most part, but now if the Kents meet friends in one title maybe they will also appear in the other, if that makes sense.

Just about every time a new team comes to a Superman book, this forum has a meltdown lol But I think we should see what happens before hating it. I won't speculate on what I think he will or won't change of the Reborn history/origin stuff, but I will say Jurgens left a ton of intentional gaps in there. If Bendis wants to fill some of those in, I'm all for it!
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    As someone on facebook pointed out:

">well know marvel creator comes to decided
    >decides to write Superman
    >does A SIX ISSUE MINISERIES
    >NAMES IT MAN OF STEEL"

We're living in a time loop folks
    Don't forget that Bendis is also a writer-artist like Byrne, though not nearly as good.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Don't forget that Bendis is also a writer-artist like Byrne, though not nearly as good.
    Ha!

Guess it's true; it really is all relative.

So as someone who has been reading and enjoying all the Superman books for the first time in years thanks to Rebirth, and as someone who has Bendis on a no buy list--this news makes me unhappy. At least I'll be saving a little money each month.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeding Cool speculating Bendis changed a lot of the plans for Superman, don't seem to actually have any rumors, just going by tweets. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...mice-supermen/
    .... Yes I remember that Gleason tweet... Is the same that King said with Batman...
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-02-2018 at 12:36 PM.

What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason? It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today. Why are people are acting like this is some huge affront? Is this just setting up the eventual Bendis hate in advance or something? Overreaching on how influential these past two years have really been to make this look like some all-time great period for Superman so in retrospect Bendis can be ripped on further? Because...yeah, this was not THAT special. If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is. It just seems like they're trying to make this as big a deal as it was with the changing of the guard in 1999. This isn't even close.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Oof! This was a gut punch when I saw the news earlier today. I somehow avoided all comics-related news yesterday, which I thought was a pretty good day considered "The Legacy of Superman" one-shot from 1993 finally went up on comiXology!

Well, this was the worst case scenario for me. I'm going to remain open-minded going forward, but I hate that Tomasi and Jurgens are being forced off the books when, in my opinion, they've done what would have been considered impossible a couple of years ago: Created an enduring, classic Superman that incorporates the best of every era of the character while still moving the franchise forward and giving us stories we've never had before. That Jurgens in particular has laid the groundwork for potentially years of stories that I wanted to see (namely, New New Krypton and Zod's family) makes this even more upsetting. Tomasi's Superman has kind of been a limbo of one-shots, fill-ins, and self-contained arcs since Issue #25, but Action Comics has been furiously planting seeds that would have sprouted in months and years in the future.

I'm not going to hold it against Bendis, and, as I said, I'll approach his run with an open mind. At least it sounds like he's building off the last two years, but it's so frustrating as a Superman fan to finally have a stable, solid foundation and have DC upper management come in and blow everything up again. Getting the red trunks back so soon after Superman Reborn is just typical of the kind of short-sighted management that's exemplified the last 15 years of DC. How many origins of Superman have we had? How many continuity-altering events have we had? Hell, we've had FOUR DC Comics logos in that time!

I'd feel a lot better about this if Tomasi and Jurgens got to stay on their books and they just launched a third Superman title for Bendis that would be the new flagship. Similar to what Unchained arguably was for a year during the New 52, or how Grant Morrison's Batman run would shift what the "main" Batman book was, first from Batman to Batman & Robin, and then to Batman & Robin to Batman Incorporated. Were Bendis just writing a new volume of Superman: The Man of Steel or something of that nature, at least it would mean we were just getting more Superman rather than having the entire line fall under one man's pen.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason. It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today. Why people are acting like this is some huge affront? Is this just setting up the eventual Bendis hate in advance or something? Overreaching on how influential these past two years have really been to make this look like some all-time great period for Superman so in retrospect Bendis can be ripped on further? Because...yeah, this was not THAT special. If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is.
    It's one thing creating a huge, memorable story arc or standalone Superman story that's beloved for the ages (Grant Morrison's Action run or All-Star Superman). But it's another thing to deliver a dependable, reliable weekly ongoing that's consistent, fun, and makes you want to keep coming back. The latter isn't as easy as you'd think, and we haven't had it on the Superman books for a long, long time (your mileage may vary, of course). This has been the most stable the Superman books have been since Loeb, and I'd argue the quality has been higher. So it would have been nice to keep it going a little while longer, or to have given the current creative team enough heads up that the change was coming so they could work towards a resolution of all of their plots.

BANNED

What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason? It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today.
    And if you go by many people's accounts, Slott himself should have left ages ago after he peaked back in 2013.

Why are people are acting like this is some huge affront? Is this just setting up the eventual Bendis hate in advance or something? Overreaching on how influential these past two years have really been to make this look like some all-time great period for Superman so in retrospect Bendis can be ripped on further? Because...yeah, this was not THAT special. If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is.
    We get it, you and a handful of others were unimpressed with the Rebirth run, but to deny that there is a lot of love and admiration for the previous era is naive on your part. People, me included, eagerly anticipated the double 'shipping schedule, it gave the franchise a tremendous surge of interest and buzz on a consistent basis, and to top it off the books were FUN and HOPEFUL, very much the mantra of DC's Rebirth. You found it flawed because DC were in love with the new toy Jon and I get that, but we greatly enjoyed MOST of everything that was coming out (I had a few niggles with it too, I am, above all else, objective), all while the N52 fans did their best to hijack every thread with their dissenting (and depressingly repetitive) opinions
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-02-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason? It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today. Why are people are acting like this is some huge affront? Is this just setting up the eventual Bendis hate in advance or something? Overreaching on how influential these past two years have really been to make this look like some all-time great period for Superman so in retrospect Bendis can be ripped on further? Because...yeah, this was not THAT special. If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is. It just seems like they're trying to make this as big a deal as it was with the changing of the guard in 1999. This isn't even close.
    I think the bar really just is THAT low, man.

I understand people being upset when a creative shuffle happens, but they happen ALL THE TIME. It's just part of the deal with ongoing comic books about superheroes.

Bendis being DC exclusive is a big deal for DC and him choosing to take the wheel of the Superman books and steer a united creative front...that's big for the character! The books haven't been selling that great and DC wants to push Superman, especially since he's turning 80 this year. I mean I wish Tom King was doing the push, but Bendis has done a lot of good work in the past- maybe he will steer well.

At the very least, the saccharine lens nostalgia will likely cease under his pen.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And if you go by many people's accounts, Slott himself should have left ages ago after he peaked back in 2013.

We get it, you and a handful of others were unimpressed with the Rebirth run, but to deny that there is a lot of love and admiration for the previous era is naive on your part. People, me included, eagerly anticipated the double 'shipping schedule, it gave the franchise a tremendous surge of interest and buzz on a consistent basis, and to top it off the books were FUN and HOPEFUL, very much the mantra of DC's Rebirth. You found it flawed because DC were in love with the new toy Jon and I get that, but we greatly enjoyed MOST of everything that was coming out (I had a few niggles with it too, I am, above all else, objective), all while the N52 fans did their best to hijack every thread with their dissenting (and depressingly repetitive) opinions
    This is not about being unimpressed. If I wanted to rip on it I wouldn't have said they were respectable runs. I'm all for giving kudos putting together a complete run, whether I cared for everything in them or not. But there's giving Kudos and then there's acting like this is akin to anything like the end of the triangle-era in terms of the significance and longevity of the run and the documented internal drama that came with that era ending. And I'm not even saying people here are doing it. This was in direct response to the BC article that DragonPiece provided a link to.

And I don't get how the New 52 even comes into play here. I didn't bring that up once. But if we're talking hijacking threads, it happens all the time. Pre-FP fans did the same thing to the New 52 discussion threads when that was going on. There's no high ground when it comes to that. But again, I don't know what that has to do with anything here.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think the bar really just is THAT low, man.
    The fact you people are now resorting to determining which group of fans speak for what the "bar" of quality should represent says everything there is about how insecure the protesters are

People liked the runs and what came with it. I know, AMAZING concept right? Why don't you lot be grown ups about that and accept it?

That is completely without the context of the completed post. If one is to take issue with anything written, its only fair to do it in its completed context, not one snippet to create a strawman. That's what's not grown up.

I have a feeling AC1K will see Clark and Lois split up. She and Jon will move to the West Coast so Bendis can write Clark and Superman. Meanwhile, Lois will get her own title to tie in with the atrocious new Metropolis series and Jon will continue to co-star in Super Sons.

If this happens, the fandom will be be critically if not permanently divided yet again, and DC will have burned all of the goodwill of the last two years.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)