Page 21 of 613 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121521 ... LastLast

Why does every large thread have to devolve into some form of Nu52 vs. Rebirth? The arguments have been done to death.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I have a feeling AC1K will see Clark and Lois split up. She and Jon will move to the West Coast so Bendis can write Clark and Superman. Meanwhile, Lois will get her own title to tie in with the atrocious new Metropolis series
    Bendis could reactivate the Lois/Lex/Clark triangle all over again, and he'll base Lex off of himself

Nah, I doubt DC will let them divorce/seperate, not after showing how integral their love was to rewriting reality last year. DC are not insane enough to undo two years of hard work. Bendis is just as good at reconciling characters as he is at splitting them up (just look at his multiple Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane make-ups), so even if he goes through with a separation, he'll probably know when the time is right to undo it.

We know from Doomsday Clock that Clark and Lois are still together anyway. I anticipate Bruce and Selina will be the pair broken up before that event in the timeline, not Lois and Clark. Even IF Lois and Clark separate, it will only be for a year before they try to make it work again. Doomsday Clock is our safety net.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Why does every large thread have to devolve into some form of Nu52 vs. Rebirth? The arguments have been done to death.
    Because its the easy strawman. Don't like something happening right now? It only comes from a place of salt because its not exactly how it was before. It goes beyond Rebirth vs. New 52. Insert any eras into that equation and its the same thing. pre-Crisis vs. post-Crisis. post-Crisis vs post-Zero Hour. post-Zero Hour vs. post-Infinite Crisis. Its all been done. And I am not on a soapbox, I've done it too. That its an easy trap to fall into means that everyone does from time to time.

But me rolling an eyes at the attempt of some on the net to overinflate this particular Rebirth era doesn't come from a place of comparing it to the New 52. As I never once brought that up. If people had tried to make as big a deal over say, the Pak run ending and trying to make it out to be a triangle-era-like comparison, I would have scoffed at that too as much as I enjoyed that run. Some things are just not comparable. I'm just calling out the attempt to make this change-over into more than it is to manufacture drama on all sides.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because its the easy strawman. Don't like something happening right now? It only comes from a place of salt because its not exactly how it was before. It goes beyond Rebirth vs. New 52. Insert any eras into that equation and its the same thing. pre-Crisis vs. post-Crisis. post-Crisis vs post-Zero Hour. post-Zero Hour vs. post-Infinite Crisis. Its all been done. And I am not on a soapbox, I've done it too. That its an easy trap to fall into means that everyone does from time to time.
    I suppose so...sorry, I just got really steamed at an era I enjoyed being labelled a representative of how "low" the bar presently is when I don't feel many of us share that opinion and somebody needed to challenge it at the time.

It think its just that when anyone gets into a discussion and gets animated or colorful, we will use terms that make someone else say "Well that's bullcrap and exaggerated". I feel that way at some of the shots levied at stuff I enjoy. But at the end of the day we all know certain things are exaggeration. And more often than not, its just intended hyperbole, as annoying as that can be when its aimed at something one likes. But I definitely think there's a distinguishing marker of intended hyperbole and then delving into trolling territory. I try not to go there, and hope I don't.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    It's one thing creating a huge, memorable story arc or standalone Superman story that's beloved for the ages (Grant Morrison's Action run or All-Star Superman). But it's another thing to deliver a dependable, reliable weekly ongoing that's consistent, fun, and makes you want to keep coming back. The latter isn't as easy as you'd think, and we haven't had it on the Superman books for a long, long time (your mileage may vary, of course). This has been the most stable the Superman books have been since Loeb, and I'd argue the quality has been higher. So it would have been nice to keep it going a little while longer, or to have given the current creative team enough heads up that the change was coming so they could work towards a resolution of all of their plots.
    The "big creator comes on and drops the mic" thing has yielded good stories. But it's put Superman out of sorts since comics were built on ongoing stories, and those runs have been disjointed for about ten years.

Meanwhile between April 2015 and now we've already had about 100 comics of this direction. I agree that sort of dependability gets way too little credit, even if I haven't been over the moon for some of it.

I'd like to see Bendis on one title for maybe two years, but let someone do the other after about a year. That way there's a strong set up and continuation, but people who want something else can also be pleased.

Astonishing Member

What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason? It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today. Why are people are acting like this is some huge affront? Is this just setting up the eventual Bendis hate in advance or something? Overreaching on how influential these past two years have really been to make this look like some all-time great period for Superman so in retrospect Bendis can be ripped on further? Because...yeah, this was not THAT special. If this is what passes for special, man how low the bar for Superman is. It just seems like they're trying to make this as big a deal as it was with the changing of the guard in 1999. This isn't even close.
    Thank you.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

It think its just that when anyone gets into a discussion and gets animated or colorful, we will use terms that make someone else say "Well that's bullcrap and exaggerated". I feel that way at some of the shots levied at stuff I enjoy. But at the end of the day we all know certain things are exaggeration. And more often than not, its just intended hyperbole, as annoying as that can be when its aimed at something one likes. But I definitely think there's a distinguishing marker of intended hyperbole and then delving into trolling territory. I try not to go there, and hope I don't.
    Don't worry, you weren't trolling, you were being truthful, you can't hide how you feel, and yeah, tempers are pretty high right now. A lot of passion goes into enjoying these runs and feeling for these characters, not everyone wants a bigwig to rock the steady cradle.

I'm actually anticipating Bendis, I'm aware of his flaws but he's never done anything that outright enraged me (well, his lapses in adhering to continuity trouble me at times, but then, maybe the editors will reel him in)

What I'm looking forward to most is, god help me, the origin aspect. I know they're a dime a dozen, but I think it needs it. Not every little thing Reborn left for interpretation needs to be filled in, but I'd like it at least a little less ambiguous in certain spots. Especially his early Smallville life. We know the basic concept is Secret Origin but like I've said before, I'd like certain classic things like the Legion, Superboy, and Mon-El confirmed again. If a really major event outright didn't happen anymore, it'd kinda be nice to be let in on that. Like, for instance, say New Krypton is gone. That was big enough to let us know its out. Beyond that, I'm fine. When the foundation is steady the other details can be just left in the ether, I'm fine with accepting minor differences not having to be spelled out. But when the foundation is rickety, everything else is too. It was my main beef with the pre-FP continuity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I have a feeling AC1K will see Clark and Lois split up. She and Jon will move to the West Coast so Bendis can write Clark and Superman. Meanwhile, Lois will get her own title to tie in with the atrocious new Metropolis series and Jon will continue to co-star in Super Sons.

If this happens, the fandom will be be critically if not permanently divided yet again, and DC will have burned all of the goodwill of the last two years.
    If Bendis really did just want to write Clark and not lois/jon, couldn't he just make her do more work trips and say Jon is busy being a hero? I don't see why he would need to divorce them. And like milestogo said, DC just spent years getting the marriage back into continuity.

For someone who is so nostalgic he brought the tracks back, it'd be pretty weird if he broke lois and clark up in his first arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    If Bendis really did just want to write Clark and not lois/jon, couldn't he just make her do more work trips and say Jon is busy being a hero? I don't see why he would need to divorce them. And like milestogo said, DC just spent years getting the marriage back into continuity.

For someone who is so nostalgic he brought the tracks back, it'd be pretty weird if he broke lois and clark up in his first arc.
    Like I said, we have Doomsday Clock, where they are together...and even if they're on the rocks, they're still shown to be sleeping with and comforting one another, so maybe a year from now they're going to patch up (it should be worth noting Bendis just got done with separating and reconciling the parents of Miles Morales over in Spider-Man)

DC won't divorce them, but it'd be perfectly fine to tell a dramatic story knowing they gave the fans some reassurance things will work out

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The "big creator comes on and drops the mic" thing has yielded good stories. But it's put Superman out of sorts since comics were built on ongoing stories, and those runs have been disjointed for about ten years.

Meanwhile between April 2015 and now we've already had about 100 comics of this direction. I agree that sort of dependability gets way too little credit, even if I haven't been over the moon for some of it.

I'd like to see Bendis on one title for maybe two years, but let someone do the other after about a year. That way there's a strong set up and continuation, but people who want something else can also be pleased.
    Well, the weird thing about the Rebirth era is that the first 10 months of it were spent as a sort of middle ground between the New 52 and the new status quo. So everything up until Reborn wasn't really settled, with the whole "Hypertime refugee" aspect to the Kent family and them feeling like their world was dead (which was just them misinterpreting where they were and what had happened with Flashpoint, but it still cast a melancholy over the era). The second half, the most recent 10 months, has really been where Jurgens has been able to shine. Instead of mourning the New 52 Superman or the Pre-Flashpoint world, it's reconciled the two and charted a new path forward. So I feel like there's obviously going to be things left unsaid, and that's a bit disheartening since it was this run that brought be back to Superman comics.

So did anyone see that bit here on CBR about Bendis leaning into Clark's Jewish background?

Should be interesting. I mean, I personally prefer Clark's religious opinions to be more....complex.....than just being one faith or another, and it'd just be weird to see him suddenly expressing a religious faith he's never been vocal about (even if its clear in his character's origins and early stories) but it's a part of his mythos that has been ignored for a long, long time, and it'll be interesting to see if Bendis can find any new corners of Kal-El we haven't seen since 1940.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

this HAS to be the greatest NEWS ever! so happy bendis has arrived in the DC sandbox!!

hyped about AC1k &1 !!!! glad they re keeping the original numbering! we will be living in a post-triple numbers....bendis world! glad we'll be seeing jimmy, & perry white! it's long overdue for those characters...

to the haters of bendis ? jon on drugs? even for bendis(suggesting he would do it) is silly!!!

pretty sure we'll be getting the bendis from his USM run. at DC they ACTUALLY have editors...

Don't forget that Bendis is also a writer-artist like Byrne, though not nearly as good.
    To make this **** even weirder, I hear Byrne is also known for not exactly respecting continuity of other writters, pretty much like Bendis if so...