Page 227 of 613 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The thing with Conner though is that there's a built in way to make the age thing entirely irreleveant, again considering Conner's a clone and his original status quo kept him from aging altogether in the first place. All they would have to do is reinstate that. It's a mash up history, but everything's a mash up at this point.
    But why would any writer go through that when, like you say, he's a clone, and because of that you can have him born at 16 whenever and make for a simpler origin?

For any solo history they could just approximate it with some off screen equivalents like they've always done with Superman's silver age. The only thing to be gained from freezing Conner's age for 10 years is that he'd be born and operating during Reign. And granted that's super important for some older fans and it has a movie coming out, but Young Justice's (show) Kon works just fine without it while evoking it. Hell he could've even been made 10 years ago but put on ice till a 3 or 5 years ago or something?

I think an amalgamation of something like his OG stuff and YJ (the show) where we see them get to know each other in real time is a more practical compromise when you wanna please older fans in there like 30s or whatever while still being a teen imprint, which this is.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-04-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

To me, you do it because it doesn't make sense to bring him back in seemingly a classic sense yet get rid of his classic origin. Especially since the DCAU is currently in the process of making a film that partly focuses on just that, and DC in general syncs up projects like this to some degree thematically. I just can't fathom him coming back and not having his origin still Reign of the Supermen. The team itself as a unit, I could totally see it being retooled as to being a wholly new thing. I just can't see Kon himself being "new", there's too much going on in the wider scope of the DCU and the resolution to the lost time to make me think they won't capitalize on it to keep the histories they want intact as much as they can. And Conner and Bart, from my vantage point, look like histories they in general want to keep. Tim, obviously still has his as he was never erased. Cassie, no clue.

But I do agree that in terms of age and time, Tim and Cassie is a harder fit to make sense of naturally, but DC has ignored stuff like this before and could quite easily ignore it again. Hell like I said, maybe they don't even jump through a hoop (I still contend though a very easy hoop) for Conner either and just ignore it there too. Same for Bart. But all the same those two characters by their very natures can be worked with without requiring reboots. And the earliest suggestion is indeed that at least Impulse has not been rebooted.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Holy Crap. Kon is back? Not a dream...not an imaginary story?

I mean....wow.

I kinda hope they completely ditch the Johns origin and return to the idea he's the augmented clone of Cadmus weasal extraordinare Paul Westfield or just make him flat out Superman's clone.

I guess this also mean that Jon is probably staying his current age at the end of the day.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To me, you do it because it doesn't make sense to bring him back in seemingly a classic sense yet get rid of his classic origin. Especially since the DCAU is currently in the process of making a film that partly focuses on just that, and DC in general syncs up projects like this to some degree thematically. I just can't fathom him coming back and not having his origin still Reign of the Supermen. The team itself as a unit, I could totally see it being retooled as to being a wholly new thing. I just can't see Kon himself being "new", there's too much going on in the wider scope of the DCU and the resolution to the lost time to make me think they won't capitalize on it to keep the histories they want intact as much as they can. And Conner and Bart, from my vantage point, look like histories they in general want to keep. Tim, obviously still has his as he was never erased. Cassie, no clue.

But I do agree that in terms of age and time, Tim and Cassie is a harder fit to make sense of naturally, but DC has ignored stuff like this before and could quite easily ignore it again. Hell like I said, maybe they don't even jump through a hoop (I still contend though a very easy hoop) for Conner either and just ignore it there too. Same for Bart. But all the same those two characters by their very natures can be worked with without requiring reboots. And the earliest suggestion is indeed that at least Impulse has not been rebooted.
    But just the fact that he's here and is in his classic look alone is more than enough tie-in to that movie. You know that's how they operate. Just look at any Marvel property ever within the last 10 years. There's even a black Nick Fury and the white one is gone, but in story the black one is the white one's kid rather than being OG Fury like the movies.

But the thing is with a brand/imprint like this, they don't have to fully look for the approval of the 30 something year old fans on every detail. It's a teen centered line for the teen and young adults comic readers who are already in or are just trying to get in. They're coming from the movies and the heavily young adult/teen focused Young Justice show.

So, ya know, cut them some slack. Obviously I don't know how things will shake out, but I gotta imagine Bendis and DC walked on eggshells to find a happy medium where they could get you the characters/IPs while letting a new generation get in there and fall in love with them too.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Holy Crap. Kon is back? Not a dream...not an imaginary story?

I mean....wow.

I kinda hope they completely ditch the Johns origin and return to the idea he's the augmented clone of Cadmus weasal extraordinare Paul Westfield or just make him flat out Superman's clone.

I guess this also mean that Jon is probably staying his current age at the end of the day.
    They’ll never get rid of the Johns origin. I’m just glad that he’s not wearing the t-shirt and jeans again (it’s iconic and good, but it’s kinda boring, the haircut especially).

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I mean, I keep bringing up Bart because he's a character in a similar situation to Kon, lost in the New 52/Rebirth shuffle, and he recently returned in his classic young form but with some potential discrepancies regarding said age if he's returning with some history intact instead of new to this continuity. And it does at face value thus far look like the former, as he proclaims himself "back" just lost in the Force barrier, and before said reveal he had been a formless voice earlier in the issue talking to Wally and pushing him forward, suggesting the pre-existing relationship. If he's back, in classic form, but with his history, I'm entirely expecting Conner to be as well. And the chips to explain it or not will fall as they may.

Its their barbecue though, I see where you're coming from and they can do it that way too. My gut is just telling me something different. My gut has let me down before though!
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

But then just as easily I could bring up how Tim just flat out said he doesn't know who the hell Conner is back in the Detective Comics 967.

That's why I think it's very much possibly that when Bart says he's back he's talking just about being back in the 21st century where he used to train under either Wally or Barry. But there's nothing to indicate that he he had history with Young Justice or that there ever was a Young Justice.

I dunno man, I'd very much settle for the idea that they all have some approximation of their individual past, but this is them getting to know each other in this version. I'm more so just happy they're back and updated and cared for at all.

Kon93

It's funny my last post gives excellent reasoning for both of your issues and gives a good way to present him, but you both totally ignore it and go on rants just trying to push your desired take.

Go back and read my ideas, then comeback

I think it's too early to say one way or another how DC is going to handle re-introducing Young Justice as a group.

Even with just Bart's return there's still a lot of unanswered questions about how much he might remember of Post-Crisis or even if he was somehow de-aged or morphed back into his old self instead of being the exact same person he was prior to Flashpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    They’ll never get rid of the Johns origin. I’m just glad that he’s not wearing the t-shirt and jeans again (it’s iconic and good, but it’s kinda boring, the haircut especially).
    Yeah, they're using that origin in the animated movies, Young Justice, and in the Titans TV show, so I doubt it'll be any different for the comics.

And at least Young Justice Kon still has the t-shirt and jeans so it's not completely unrepresented .

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    It's funny my last post gives excellent reasoning for both of your issues and gives a good way to present him, but you both totally ignore it and go on rants just trying to push your desired take.

SK suggested the same thing a few pages ago. But both disregard Bendis saying “These characters mean a lot to each other personally. Some of them not in this continuity, so they’re gonna meet each other for the first time” and "Your first loves, first tragedies... these characters mean a lot to each other...it's literally a list of things that people have been screaming at me to bring back to DC."

It's not about how you fit in the old Young Justice stuff into the new continuity. He flat out says this is the first meeting for some of them. The only thing that's a toss up is how they'll introduce the characters and, outside of Tim, how much of their individual histories will they have.

Kon93

Yeah I dont see lex leaving as daddy anytime soon or actually ever now

Yeah I dont see lex leaving as daddy anytime soon or actually ever now
    You know I think Bendis might be leaning into something with that that you, myself, and a few others have suggested: make the Lex thing why he's such a natural rebel. The new punk look sort of sells that. He's taking normal Superman iconography and sort of bad boying it up.

If he's not a Lex altered clone then he's for sure part Lex. I have to wonder what Bendis plans to do with Kon and Jon's interactions given he has complete control over both. I wonder if he plays up the good boy vs bad boy thing or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know I think Bendis might be leaning into something with that that you, myself, and a few others have suggested: make the Lex thing why he's such a natural rebel. The new punk look sort of sells that. He's taking normal Superman iconography and sort of bad boying it up.
    I think of that more of how the dichotomy between him being half-Superman and half-Luthor comes out then something that comes out purely of his Lex side.
    ]If he's not a Lex altered clone then he's for sure part Lex. I have to wonder what Bendis plans to do with Kon and Jon's interactions given he has complete control over both. I wonder if he plays up the good boy vs bad boy thing or what?
    Kon can be the cool uncle .

I really don't think these theories disregard Bendis's quote. Because there's more than one way to look at said quote. There are some characters in that splash that are brand new (Hex's descendent, Teen Lantern, Naomi), or that have existed before in other forms but not in this continuity (Wonder Twins), that could easily account for the totality of his quote. Characters like Kon, Bart, Tim, and Cass retaining a general history and maybe even their relationships to some degree does not necessarily automatically discount what Bendis said there.

I didn't ignore it on purpose, its just been a fast moving thread with the news, and being in a direct conversation with someone else I can tend to miss things. But your theory would work just fine too as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think of that more of how the dichotomy between him being half-Superman and half-Luthor comes out then something that comes out purely of his Lex side.
    Well yes that's what I was getting at. The Lex thing, be it 100% of his DNA or 50, nudges against that part of him, be it genetically or in his heart, and makes him a bit of a bad boy. That wasn't the original explanation in the 90s I know, but say work with what you have.

Kon can be the cool uncle .
    Goes without saying But I wonder how they'll actually interact especially if there's a chance that Conner is a recent addition in some way. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a blast.