Page 248 of 613 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Nothing I've seen or heard so far has given me any indication what so ever that Bendis' run (or anyone else's tbh) is set after Doomsday Clock. And in regards to the one Doomsday Clock comment I'm aware of from Bendis: it was regarding Barry's hair color in issue 1 of Superman, and over twitter Bendis essentially made a joke about Doomsday Clock being an explanation for a simple coloring error.

Bendis has however said that where Jor-El has been since Oz Effect will be addressed in his run, and he never linked it to Doomsday Clock as far as I know. But chance are he could given it's implied that not only was Manhattan the one who saved tortured Jor-El but also that Jor-El knows of him. He doesn't really have to go into too much depth on how the plot links to Manhattan given how ambiguous it is, but it's there. And none of that is predicated on his run being after Doomsday Clock.
    His July Word Balloon interview touches on Doomsday Clock. At around the 2:29:00 mark Bendis says he doesn't talk about Doomsday Clock much because he's "desperate" not to spoil anything on Geoff Johns thing, but (and this is the big part) "there's stuff going on in my books, that when Doomsday Clock is revealed you'll go OH!" "So, yes for people who want to know. Yes, that will connect. But how and why and in what shape and what characters, I won't comment." Then he's asked about Jor El and immediately changes the subject.

Now, I have no doubt Lois will end up back at the Planet, but she was at the Planet in Heroes in Crisis 2, and Doomsday Clock. That's minor stuff. But Jor El's status remains the biggest issue, since the way everyone reacts to him in Man of Steel is simply not consistent with his last appearance in Action, since he presumably should be imprisoned by Manhattan at that point.

Man of Steel occuring after the conclusion of Doomsday Clock makes the shorts the only continuity issue and clears up Lois's appearances in both as well as Jor El's appearances in Man of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And that's probably why Bendis is slightly annoyed all these comic pundints are attacking him for shaking up Clois....he's going to have them living and working together again by year's end but some are just too impatient to sit through a character study/story.

Seeing the amount of Youtubers trying to spin what's going on with Lois and Clark as a "trial seperation with benefits" must really irk him
    He replied to a tweet about how someone didn't see how people could read them as heading for a divorce by saying there were some "genuine bullshit headlines" about the issue, so I do think he is annoyed by some of the reaction since he saw this as a positive and romantic statement on their love and not setting up any type of drama.

But it's his execution that leaves open that interpretation. One partner telling the other they need space to rediscover themselves is a cliche, and in fiction, typically ends up in one or both partners realizing they are better off alone. He really should not be to taken aback that its being interpreted that way by people. I personally don't think that was his intent, but the execution was muddled enough that that interpretation is not outside the realm of plausible.
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-31-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    "there's stuff going on my books, that when Doomsday Clock is revealed you'll go OH!" "So, yes for people who want to know. Yes, that will connect. But how and why and in what shape and what characters, I won't comment."
    Pretty sure he's talking about the Legion here. A NYCC he mentions, pretty unambiguously, that he has plans for the Legion, and also that he's working towards the United Planets in the present day. One of the notoriously absent IPs at the moment is the Legion, and it's sort of an open secret that it's due to story beats in Doomsday Clock. The Legion time travel, so this would theoretically allow any writer who to set up and resolve story points non-linearly. Hence the "OH!" part.

I don't think that points to the story already being after Doomsday Clock.

But Jor El's status remains the biggest issue, since the way everyone reacts to him in Man of Steel is simply not consistent with his last appearance in Action
    I think this is simply an interpretation of the outcome of Oz Effect that Bendis has. He seems to interpret that in Superman's crazy world it's not that crazy a deal to not hold it too much against your not-dead dad for being mind controlled and tortured. Like most instances of mind control in the DCU, they give the one controlled the benefit of the doubt afterward, and Jor-El seemed to regain himself at the very end. I think that's what he's going for. It's a bit jarring depending on your personal comfort level with comic logic, but I don't think it's substantial enough to hang the idea that this book is somehow taking place in the future because of it.

I mean, over in Action Comics Clark has a note reading "return Bruce's wedding gift." The wedding is firmly before Doomsday Clock.

since he presumably should be imprisoned by Manhattan at that point.
    No where is it stated or show that he should be imprisoned by Manhattan after Oz Effect. The only thing show is that he was taken away. Imprisonment is not implied or shown. And again, Bendis said he'd address where he went after Oz Effect.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Pretty sure he's talking about the Legion here. A NYCC he mentions, pretty unambiguously, that he has plans for the Legion, and also that he's working towards the United Planets in the present day. One of the notoriously absent IPs at the moment is the Legion, and it's sort of an open secret that it's due to story beats in Doomsday Clock. The Legion time travel, so this would theoretically allow any writer who to set up and resolve story points non-linearly. Hence the "OH!" part.

I don't think that points to the story already being after Doomsday Clock.
    True. Though I don't expect him to have to be as cagey about the Legion, and he's actively discussed it.

I think this is simply an interpretation of the outcome of Oz Effect that Bendis has. He seems to interpret that in Superman's crazy world it's not that crazy a deal to not hold it too much against your not-dead dad for being mind controlled and tortured. Like most instances of mind control in the DCU, they give the one controlled the benefit of the doubt afterward, and Jor-El seemed to regain himself at the very end. I think that's what he's going for. It's a bit jarring depending on your personal comfort level with comic logic, but I don't think it's substantial enough to hang the idea that this book is somehow taking place in the future because of it.

No where is it stated or show that he should be imprisoned by Manhattan after Oz Effect. The only thing show is that he was taken away. Imprisonment is not implied or shown. And again, Bendis said he'd address where he went after Oz Effect.
    Again, this is possible. Another explanation to undermine my own theory is that Doomsday Clock also addresses manipulated timelines, so whatever the outcome in Doomsday Clock could drop Jor El back in Superman's life right after Oz Effect.

I mean, over in Action Comics Clark has a note reading "return Bruce's wedding gift." The wedding is firmly before Doomsday Clock.
    How serious we are supposed to take these notes is an open question. The Perry one had an outline for the next storyline involving Leviathan, that can't be in continuity.

True. Though I don't expect him to have to be as cagey about the Legion, and he's actively discussed it.
    Well, to be fair, that interview was a few months ago. And even now he's only just saying "Legion fans will be happy."

Again, this is possible. Another explanation to undermine my own theory is that Doomsday Clock also addresses manipulated timelines, so whatever the outcome in Doomsday Clock could drop Jor El back in Superman's life right after Oz Effect.
    I personally think people are putting too much stock into how wide and expansive Doomsday Clock is aiming to be. I think it's main goal is to be a largely evergreen book that creators will work up to and work out of. But it's not as if I know anything for sure. That's just the very strong vibe.

How serious we are supposed to take these notes is an open question. The Perry one had an outline for the next storyline involving Leviathan, that can't be in continuity.
    I figure notes directly pertaining to characters inside the story without breaking the 4th wall are to be taken as part of the story. So, as an example, in 1004 a note on Lois' desk said "tell Clark I'm back." You obviously take that seriously, and you can clearly see she was mulling that over when we see her with him. Clark and Lois have notes on Leviathan and Kobra, and we know both are organizations that will be directly addressed and investigated by the two of them and Jimmy (solicited for 1007). Another example is the fact that he's got fire chief Moore's number on his desk, and we see him actually use it in issue 1 of Superman. So, in keeping with those pretty clear guidelines, I can pretty comfortably say the Bruce note was in continuity and the outline of the next story was pretty clearly just a fun Easter egg.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-31-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If you're talking about Action 1000, I chalk that up to "it's a celebration, dude, chill out and have fun." As far as I remember, they didn't even know he was getting it back till after Bendis got on.
    I think they were all super excited that he was bringing them back but apparently had no idea about Man of Steel's upcoming reason. Aside from #1000's stories there were a few entries for the specials of each outgoing team. They even edited Manapul's work so that he wore it during the holiday short instead of the Reborn costume. It actually looked great

I think that process is also regarding Frank, since he just started Doomsday Clock so long ago.

Well, to be fair, that interview was a few months ago. And even now he's only just saying "Legion fans will be happy."

I personally think people are putting too much stoke into how wide and expansive Doomsday Clock is aiming to be. I think it's main goal is to be a largely evergreen book that creators will work up to and work out of. But it's not as if I know anything for sure. That's just the very strong vibe.

I figure notes directly pertaining to characters inside the story without breaking the 4th wall are to be taken as part of the story. So, as an example, in 1004 a note on Lois' desk said "tell Clark I'm back." You obviously take that seriously, and you can clearly see she was mulling that over when. Clark and Lois have notes on Leviathan and Kobra, and we know both are organizations that will be directly addressed and investigated by the two of them and Jimmy. Also example is the fact that he's got fire chief Moore's number on his desk, and we see him actually use it in issue 1 of Superman. So, in keeping with those pretty clear guidelines, I can pretty comfortably say the Bruce note was in continuity and the outline of the next story was pretty clearly just a fun Easter egg.
    All good points. Particularly about Doomsday Clock looking to be "evergreen." I think it's being teed up as a response/companion to Watchmen. So it'd made sense that it would be self-contained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think they were all super excited that he was bringing them back but apparently had no idea about Man of Steel's upcoming reason. Aside from #1000's stories there were a few entries for the specials of each outgoing team. They even edited Manapul's work so that he wore it during the holiday short instead of the Reborn costume. It actually looked great

I think that process is also regarding Frank, since he just started Doomsday Clock so long ago.
    Agreed. Most recently Tomasi had Jon say that Clark gave him the belt buckle of the Rebirth suit, and I think Bendis ended up changing Lois and Clark's looks to support that. Lois in that she's wearing what seems to be a red booted version of the Rebirth suit, and Clark is wearing the same in the flashback with Jon in issue 4 of Superman.

I think it's being teed up as a response/companion to Watchmen. So it'd made sense that it would be self-contained.
    Right, that's what I think is in part the idea.

BANNED

Action#1005 variant by Francis Manapul

BANNED

Bendis introduced Young Justice's Jinny Hex in Batman 100 Page Giant#4

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...-page-giant-4/

Master Hero Vladimir

Action#1005 variant by Francis Manapul

Good to see Manapul improve his art.

BANNED

In today's DC Nation#7, Bendis is talking about Wonder Comics

Bendis says that the Young Justice crew won't necessarily be a "roster", but friends who will call on one another when needed, there will be room for guest stars ranging from people we haven't seen in a while to all new characters

Also, from the letters page of the same issue

Over in January's Superman#7, we'll see the return of Superboy, but not the way you (or his parents) remember, it's going to be an emotional reunion, but not necessarily a pleasant one
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-07-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

In today's DC Nation#7, Bendis is talking about Wonder Comics

Bendis says that the Young Justice crew won't necessarily be a "roster", but friends whol will call on one another when needed, there will be room for guest stars ranging from people we haven't seen in a while to all new characters

Also, from the letters page of the same issue
    I thought superman 6 was the return? Guess it'll just be the last page with his new design.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I thought superman 6 was the return? Guess it'll just be the last page with his new design.
    Yeah, the solicits put a big emphasis on the last page being the selling point of that issue.

Jon's gonna be all about Grandpa Jor and clash with his parents. His relationship with his grandfather will have him greatly embracing his Kryptonian side, but with the unfortunate side-effect of having him start to look down upon his human side. Superman blames Jor-El. Lois is hurt that by shunning his human side its like he's shunning her. Tensions arise as Clark can't help but be upset that Lois decided Jon was safe to be left alone the rest of the way with Jor-El.

Those are my guesses. With currently existing Jon fans I don't think it will be well-received. Lois and Clark fans will be upset because of the tensions it creates. Lois fans will be mad because of the undertones that its her fault this happened. Hell I won't particularly like it if the message is "too much Kryptonian and not enough human" is bad. But these are my inklings.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-07-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Those are my guesses. With currently existing Jon fans I don't think it will be well-received. Lois and Clark fans will be upset because of the tensions it creates. Lois fans will be mad because of the undertones that its her fault this happened. Hell I won't particularly like it if the message is "too much Kryptonian and not enough human" is bad. But these are my inklings.
    All good guesses, and this is what Bendis meant by pressure coming from "all sides" and why people should be worried about the stability of the family. Lois perhaps becoming incredibly overconfident and reliant on her family's psychological durability can be a very human mistake to make (just look at how Clark reacted to her saying he didn't need her in AC#1004), I'm not sure it's a mistake Lois would reasonably make given her character, but it's an interesting means of injecting drama and fallibility into someone learning as a mother well into a child's maturing years.