Page 258 of 613 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah “fan divide” is meaningless. There was plenty of fan divide over bringing Superdad into the New 52 and then having him replace New 52 Superman. The real question is will this badly affect sales? If it does then there’s cause to worry if you’re a Bendis fan, and cause to rejoice if you hate Bendis. That Action Comics Lois issue caused a lot of divisiveness but it sold just fine, so DC and Bendis didn’t care.
    Yah!I know, i was just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yah!I know, i was just throwing it out there.
    And just to be clear I’m not belittling your concerns. I’m not very enthusiastic for this either. But creators have never really put too much stock in limiting themselves because fans don’t like ideas, for better and for worse. King’s divisive. Snyder’s divisive. But they both sell so tough luck for the people who hate them. Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns can be VERY divisive, but that never seems to stop them from trying out their ideas. We just gotta see how this plays out for now.

Astonishing Member

Yeah “fan divide” is meaningless. There was plenty of fan divide over bringing Superdad into the New 52 and then having him replace New 52 Superman. The real question is will this badly affect sales? If it does then there’s cause to worry if you’re a Bendis fan, and cause to rejoice if you hate Bendis. That Action Comics Lois issue caused a lot of divisiveness but it sold just fine, so DC and Bendis didn’t care.
    In fact, Action Comics #1004 has a foil cover. This probably help its sales at some level.

Other DC comics have a foil cover, it sales increase on October.

Superman #4 is a curious case. It has a foil cover, bu its sales on October don't increase regarding September. The sales Superman #4 sells almost the same as Superman #3. So, it's likely the foil cover helps Superman #4 sales
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.

And just to be clear I’m not belittling your concerns. I’m not very enthusiastic for this either. But creators have never really put too much stock in limiting themselves because fans don’t like ideas, for better and for worse. King’s divisive. Snyder’s divisive. But they both sell so tough luck for the people who hate them. Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns can be VERY divisive, but that never seems to stop them from trying out their ideas. We just gotta see how this plays out for now.
    Ya! I know writers can write what they want(accept for restriction by the editors) and they should.Jon for me was just fun ride,an innocent kid with powers.His stories were goofy and fun.they were not serious,it put a smile on my face when i had a bad day.And i am going to miss that in the main book from Jon's character.I don't think i am interested in teen characters,in general.So,I might not be interested in the new Jon.Still, I am going to see this play out because I like superman.Bendis's superman is ok.Stories so far are ok.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-16-2018 at 03:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Dude...Jon Kent being a character at all has caused a massive fan divide. I don't care anymore so long as the stories are good. All this internet tribalism can go kick rocks. I'm not interested.
    People are allowed to critique the talent and the stories if they feel it's warranted.

I'm enjoying the run, but it does have it's problems.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    People are allowed to critique the talent and the stories if they feel it's warranted.

I'm enjoying the run, but it does have it's problems.
    Where in my post did I say or even come close to implying this wasn't true? Even the bit you quoted from me doesn't say or imply that I somehow feel like people can't critique the talent or stories.

I even say I'm waiting to see how things will play out because, yeah, I'm one of the people that really dug small Jon Kent. I've even directly acknowledged others' standpoints and feeling on the run even if they don't line up with my own. So why, I must ask, are you characterizing me as someone who is somehow saying people can't have issues with this or the run as a whole??
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Not only is rapidly aging Jon up a stupid idea, it's a stupid idea that's already been done before! And it's such a slap in the face to anyone who was invested in Jon as a character and the Superfamily. I get that he's being used as a plot device, but what is even the point of this? How is the story or the status quo going to benefit from Jon being older? Him being a kid and their whole family dynamic was refreshing, it was fun, it was something different--but now we literally just have two teenage Superboys, Jon will likely be independent from his parents (because I'm sure the only reason he was aged up was so Supes could stop having to be a dad all the time, because being a dad and living with your wife is laaaame), and it's likely his personality has changed. And. There are SO many teen heroes, and all of them have so much teen drama going on at all times--did we really need MORE of this?

I don't know if I want to tear my hair out or cry. I understand that Bendis has the right to completely undo anything he wants from the past few years, and that there will be people who like it, and that's fine, that's the way it goes. But I really loved Jon and this is so heartbreaking for me. It's like they just finished establishing him as a character and then cut him off at the knees. Aging a character off-panel and then bringing them back as a new person is lazy and unsatisfying for the reader. And his new suit is fine, but it's a poorer design than his old suit so it's a step down. Everything about this seems like a step down. I'm sorry for being so negative, but I feel so gutted by this as a Jon fan.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Not only is rapidly aging Jon up a stupid idea, it's a stupid idea that's already been done before! And it's such a slap in the face to anyone who was invested in Jon as a character and the Superfamily. I get that he's being used as a plot device, but what is even the point of this? How is the story or the status quo going to benefit from Jon being older? Him being a kid and their whole family dynamic was refreshing, it was fun, it was something different--but now we literally just have two teenage Superboys, Jon will likely be independent from his parents (because I'm sure the only reason he was aged up was so Supes could stop having to be a dad all the time, because being a dad and living with your wife is laaaame), and it's likely his personality has changed. And. There are SO many teen heroes, and all of them have so much teen drama going on at all times--did we really need MORE of this?

I don't know if I want to tear my hair out or cry. I understand that Bendis has the right to completely undo anything he wants from the past few years, and that there will be people who like it, and that's fine, that's the way it goes. But I really loved Jon and this is so heartbreaking for me. It's like they just finished establishing him as a character and then cut him off at the knees. Aging a character off-panel and then bringing them back as a new person is lazy and unsatisfying for the reader. And his new suit is fine, but it's a poorer design than his old suit so it's a step down. Everything about this seems like a step down. I'm sorry for being so negative, but I feel so gutted by this as a Jon fan.
    Said it better than I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still see something like this as the ultimate resolution:
    As Doomsday Clock nears its end, some titles have crossover issues. Superman will be among them. All things with the Superman/Jor-El situation come to a head when Jor-El finds a way to use his Mr. Oz mojo against Manhattan. The changes he made to Superman's history are altered, and Jor-El shares a goodbye with his son as he's transported back to the moment of Krypton's destruction with Lara. He dies with her happily. Superman awakens as if from a dream, and finds that Jon is 10-11 again, and that Jonathan and Martha are alive. Like Reborn he has fleeting memories of something odd that had occurred, but at the same time in general this is his correct like and history.

Timeline changes within a couple years of each other? Yes. Will it make things more confusing? Yes. Will they attempt to streamline it again elsewhere? Probably (Crisis). Will it help? Probably not, it'll just remain confusing and you press forward.
    Sounds a whole lot better than what’s going on in the actual Doomsday Clock comic.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

BANNED

Its Brian Michael Bendis, the guy who can barely write anything but thinks he can write everything. His Superman got beaten by Catwoman and Venom in sales despite all of them getting launched in the same month, he just has an inflated rep based on work he did 1.5 decades ago and has consistently produced rubbish since then. Now DC has the audacity of giving him Detective 1000 over Dixon, Alan Grant, Brubaker, Rucka and a whole host of writers who has actually written Detective Comics and worked on Batman.
    As you said its clear that all this is designed to tear down Jon, that's something both his fans and detractors agree with. Edgy attitude, edgy costume, artificial age up, all that reminds me of Superboy Prime, Chris Kent and New 52 era Conner, all characters who tanked. So DC has already done all this with other Superman legacy characters, they know fully well where this road leads.
    Superman is a drop for me, I cant handle all this. Bendis has gone out of his way to promote it by making fans anxious instead of excited between this and words like "unpleasant". I'm not reading what I find unpleasant, the book has been rubbish anyway. It has one or two page decent scenes with Superman and then a whole lot of pages with out of character guest stars where nothing happens and the villain is as interesting as wooden plank despite having a dozen issues of build up.

And his big Action Comics storyline involves Talia al Ghul and Leviathan, if he already needs Batman villains then he should've just kept one book instead of both.
    Last edited by Armor of God; 11-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm sorry for being so negative, but I feel so gutted by this as a Jon fan.
    Nothing to be sorry about. You're level headed in your criticism, keeping it civil, little to no vitriol, all while you speak your mind. As someone who's more than willing to see where this goes even though I really enjoyed smaller Jon, I'm sympathetic for what you seem to be feeling now.

Even if the growth spurt sticks (I'm uncomfortable calling it "rapid aging" just yet because we don't quite undersatd the nature of it yet, but that's just me, and not a slight on you) I still hope that people like myself and people like you can find a something to love about this new direction. I really and trually hope that the Bendis Jon, Superman, Lois, and Super family offer you something to compensate for taking smaller Jon. I'd like that compensation too, if I'm being perfectly honest.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The thing I am going to miss about this is the animeesque feel to character. And references to anime's like naruto and dbz in his room. Jon has so many similarities with gohan, even deku to some extent(fanboying about his hero dad/all might). difference is dad happens to be his superman.

I still hope that people like myself and people like you can find a something to love about this new direction. I really and trually hope that the Bendis Jon, Superman, Lois, and Super family offer you something to compensate for taking smaller Jon. I'd like that compensation too, if I'm being perfectly honest.
    While a grown up & disfigured Jon Kent teaming up with his Dad’s friends sounds unappealing to me, fortunately I think bringing back classic Conner is even compensation for this Bart Allen style shark jump stunt it looks like he’s pulling on Jon, since I like the two characters pretty evenly. So I think my goodwill is weirdly unchanged, depending on how things turn out. Bendis giveth and Bendis taketh away.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-17-2018 at 12:01 AM.

BANNED

Where in my post did I say or even come close to implying this wasn't true? Even the bit you quoted from me doesn't say or imply that I somehow feel like people can't critique the talent or stories.
    You were calling the negative attitude towards what he does "tribalism", almost as if you were trying to categorise the critics and downplay their faculties.

Kon93

Jon needs to find the fortune teller machine that aged him,and get back to the kid we all liked fast.