Page 29 of 613 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129529 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't know if it was already posted... Tomasi and Jurgens will have 2 double-sized specials each to wrap-up their runs before Bendis takes over the franchise: https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/sta...30803234197504
    Wow, that's a great gesture from DC.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    For somethings it is. The Green Lantern franchise would not have become as big as it did without his creative decisions. Teen Titans would not have returned as a prominent team within the DCU. Plus he has a knack for taking obscure characters and doing something interesting with them. Heck, he turned Booster Gold into a top selling book for goodness sake. Booster. Gold.

As for his Superman Origin? Yeah, that was a turkey.
    To be fair, I never got into GL so I have no idea what he did with it and therefore can't comment. My criticism was his specific changes to Superman. I loved his TT run but, like I said, his decision to change Superboy's parentage to Luthor didn't sit well with me at the time.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don't know if it was already posted... Tomasi and Jurgens will have 2 double-sized specials each to wrap-up their runs before Bendis takes over the franchise: https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/sta...30803234197504
    I saw this, I'm glad since it was looking like the only superman comic we would have in may would be man of steel #1 and the DC Nation #0 short.

So is Action 1000 not two separate stories by tomasi and jurgens, but a story they did together now?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I wonder if these two specials rounding out the reborn era are going to be solicited as this year's Annuals or will they just be Superman and Action standalone specials?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This. Sorry but pre-and post-Crisis Superman don't work together. They are meant to contradict each other. The way he discovers his powers is also all over the place. I also think there is a difference between a good origin and a good story. SO was neither. I had my issues with Byrnes MOS but it worked as a story. Whatever personal hangups I had with it. It followed a logical path. Conversely, I liked his origin in the MOS movie but the story itself was just bad. The only thing I think that ever truly bridged the pre-and post-Crisis versions was Smallville. It took the best elements of both. Whatever Bendis does, I hope it leans somewhere in that direction (minus the teen angst crap). I think that's also why he's getting a new origin, they know SO was unpopular.
    I think Birthright and SO both did a decent job of merging pre and post crisis because instead of being met halfway on conflicting ideas (like killing pa and keeping ma), they threw in whole ideas together.

SO proved popular enough, but if we really do get an origin from Bendis it's probably because the Superman merger left so many thing up in the air. Like how did we have Krimson Kryptonite without Jerry? Why did he have the New 52 armor if he met Brainiac before that, and why would he then give it up for cloth he never wore before? And so on. I like the current titles but we don't have the best square one and personally, I would say good riddance to SO Krypton with one eyed psycho Jor El jammed in.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think Birthright and SO both did a decent job of merging pre and post crisis because instead of being met halfway on conflicting ideas (like killing pa and keeping ma), they threw in whole ideas together.

SO proved popular enough, but if we really do get an origin from Bendis it's probably because the Superman merger left so many thing up in the air. Like how did we have Krimson Kryptonite without Jerry? Why did he have the New 52 armor if he met Brainiac before that, and why would he then give it up for cloth he never wore before? And so on. I like the current titles but we don't have the best square one and personally, I would say good riddance to SO Krypton with one eyed psycho Jor El jammed in.
    I kind of wonder if some of that stuff isn't just going to be thrown out. Like the New 52 suit. Or ROS with the birthing matrix out of the picture. I forgot about BR. Which I actually loved but it didn't last long. We're assuming they have everything parsed out the way they want it. I'm not. Even before New 52 his history was something of a trainwreck. I'm guessing he will have some kind of history with the Legion based on the fact that Saturn Girl is in Arkham but past that, I don't want to assume anything. It could be something we've never seen before instead or it could just be tacking onto SO. Both are possibilities.
    Assassinate Putin!

Considering it was described as ceremonial armor I'd keep the New 52 suit in continuity to the point it could be used in stories where he loses his powers (which is often). Instead of needing a scientist friend to whip something up for him, he just pulls out his armor. This is the older, seasoned Superman again, so have him act like it and have contingencies in place for so many common issues he's faced in his career.

But with that said I could easily see it just being gotten rid of, if not outright, just in the sense its never seen again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Considering it was described as ceremonial armor I'd keep the New 52 suit in continuity to the point it could be used in stories where he loses his powers (which is often). Instead of needing a scientist friend to whip something up for him, he just pulls out his armor. This is the older, seasoned Superman again, so have him act like it and have contingencies in place for so many common issues he's faced in his career.

But with that said I could easily see it just being gotten rid of, if not outright, just in the sense its never seen again.

Its easy: include everything as printed albeit modernized, contradictions are due to reality resets, as we the readers know. Zod is the same guy from Silver age, time trapper/ Manhattan tried to shunt them into pocket universe, Superman thought he killed them(leaving in Exile+ Matrix), in fact they escaped to phantom zone saved by TT, he contacts Pokolistan Zod via Torquasm Vo or something, reimerges from PZ in For Tomorrow, again in Last Son and Nu52, boom.

Throwing anything out is lazy and a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I wonder if these two specials rounding out the reborn era are going to be solicited as this year's Annuals or will they just be Superman and Action standalone specials?
    Probably annuals. Though there's no reason the Superman one couldn't have just been issue 46, the series is getting a new #1 anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I actually the like the idea of a Superman has parts of history throughout years still in continuity.
    Last edited by BBally; 02-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Why? It doesn't particularly fit as a sequel to the Donner movies even though it was influenced by them(it wouldn't work as a Superman III because it's basically a version of Superman II but instead of a nuclear missile, Zod and Ursa have a kid in order to escape the PZ). If they can introduce characters and concepts from other movies and shows, why not the Donner movies? Nobody ever seemed to mind the introduction of Harley Quinn to the comics or all the other DCAU stuff.
    I like those movies. And I have no problem with characters or certain concepts making the transition from other media to comics (when done right of course). But Last Son crossed a line for me. I have no issue with an homage or using a few ideas (I am still waiting for the badass comics debut of Nuclear Man) but what I don't want is a comic to completely steal the tone and approach of another version.

After Lemire's run on Green Arrow they brought in one of the CW guys and the book ended up reading like a story board for the show. It was terrible. Last Son did the same thing. It wasn't a Superman story that borrowed from a particular version of the character, it was a very specific version of the character forced into a different format, medium, and continuity. Didn't work for Arrow a couple years ago, didn't work for Last Son ten years ago (or however long it was now).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wonder if it will actually be a revamped Black Zero (that was his name, right?). If we have to do this at all, seems a waste to not use a villain that's been collecting dust for decades and who could be revamped with little (if any) fanboys being close minded to any changes.

That's awesome.

I'm glad they're getting to finish things up. I have my issues with how we got here, and there are things I'm still not a big fan of, but these creative teams have provided consistent work and some decent world building for two years. They were able to get Superman out of the spiral DC put him in with Doomed-Truth. Even if I haven't read Jurgens' Action at all and have skipped Tomasi's Superman for months now, they deserve a proper send-off.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This. Sorry but pre-and post-Crisis Superman don't work together. They are meant to contradict each other. The way he discovers his powers is also all over the place. I also think there is a difference between a good origin and a good story. SO was neither. I had my issues with Byrnes MOS but it worked as a story. Whatever personal hangups I had with it. It followed a logical path. Conversely, I liked his origin in the MOS movie but the story itself was just bad. The only thing I think that ever truly bridged the pre-and post-Crisis versions was Smallville. It took the best elements of both. Whatever Bendis does, I hope it leans somewhere in that direction (minus the teen angst crap). I think that's also why he's getting a new origin, they know SO was unpopular.
    Can we please stop with the new origins crap and just move forward. Everyone knows some version of Superman's origin story. No reason to keep dwelling on it. The exact details don't matter, especially not after Clark makes his debut as Superman.

Nobody should "have to" read a mini-series telling Superman's "official, canonical" origins in order to read SUPERMAN or ACTION COMICS. Ever.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There might be some confusion with that bit of info. Most articles reporting on the Bendis announcement state that Gleason is, "Remaining on Action." He isn’t on Action to begin with. He is on Superman.
    This is so very true. Gleason hasn't even said anything confirming it, so it very well may be a mistake. I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope it was so we can get a new person on there, but I'd also be down for it being true.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.