Page 296 of 613 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I don't really get why 3 issues of lore building from a character who used to be (and thematically still is) a large part of the book is a bad idea. I mean, he's coming back with story that Superman will have to deal with anyway. Plus, there's a very strong chance that Clark will be present in the issues because Reis is still drawing the two issues, and Bendis all but confirmed that Brandon Peterson is doing the flashbacks alone, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the issues pepper in Clark and Jon talking in the present next to Jon flashing back. No idea the ratio, but reactions by Clark are all but assured I'd wager.

I'd honestly feel short changed if the son of Superman going off into space for a number of years wasn't given its multi issue flashback due. Regardless of how one feels about characters not named Clark, that'd be disingenuous.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Because anytime you keep Superman out of a Superman book for any longer than an issue its always going to be a bad idea in my book. I just don't like the practice. Ever. Doesn't matter if its Jon, Lex, Lois, or anyone else. I'm not pretending this is going to be the worst offender ever or anything like that, but I still don't like it.

This is assuming Superman isn't in it at all, btw. If Bendis does this flashback in a way where they cut back to present day as a natural break in Jon's narrative which allows for Superman stuff in the present and at least a little window in what he plans to do about Zaar and Zod in the Zone, then I'd be fine with it and take back anything I've already said. But this is if it works out that the next issue opens up, sets up a flashback, then we don't get back to Superman and the present day till April. That'll I'll have a problem with. This information is obviously meaningful to the plot and is important to be told, but that can be accomplished without putting Superman in the corner totally for three months.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-24-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And on top of that I'll have to deal with annoying Amanda Waller in Action. Though at least Superman will actually be in that one. I can power through as long as this doesn't become commonplace.

Btw I'm actually having a decent Christmas Eve, I'm not this humbug about the stuff that matters.
    With the lucky we have, it'll turn out that Bendis aged Jon to have him taking over the main books after something bad will happen to Clark in one of the upcoming arcs. 😱

I dunno, man. I get what you're saying in a broad stroke sense, yeah, but I'd say there are exceptions. When he actually died is a pretty good one. Having a story told to him by his estranged space faring son that will lead into more story for Clark in the future is an acceptable one as well. I mean, it's not like it's 3 issues of "What's Ron and Lucy's relationship like these days" or "I wonder what Gangbuster is up to." It's a great deal more important to Superman than that, ya know?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-24-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The only thing I worry about is the whole "Unity Saga" was supposed to be a year long (12-part presumably) story. With half of it over, and the next three issues (or more) filling in the backstory for Jon & Jor El, that leaves Bendis three issues to wrap this up. I think the odds of getting the Rogal Zaar side wrapped up are getting longer and how this will lead to the United Planets may be a rush in the last few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I dunno, man. I get what you're saying in a broad stroke sense, yeah, but I'd say there are exceptions. When he actually died is a pretty good one. Having a story told to him by his estranged space faring son that will lead into more story for Clark in the future is an acceptable one as well. I mean, it's not like it's 3 issues of "What's Ron and Lucy's relationship like these days" or "I wonder what Gangbuster is up to." It's a great deal more important to Superman than that, ya know?
    Its cool, I get where you're coming from too, always respect your opinions even if they may not mesh with my own. But I agree its important. There's definitely things that needs to be told here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The way I see it. I don't know why you guys are surprised that superman won't be much in the flashback stories. I hate it myself. They are gonna have to build this new Jon up, if they want the character to stick(this is an if now with rebirth dead, didio taking over) . And give atleast some context to why Lois left her 10 year old son in space,to make it atleast semi-exceptable.for me, I want to atleast some key points in Jon's life and changes In personality so that it doesn't outright feel like a reboot. From what I can understand. Bendis does not seem to like writing old kid Jon. So he will be written out. And new Jon would be like Bendis's oc. So, many of you who don't like Jon, may start to like him more. Personally, it doesn't make a difference for me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.

I'm just appreciating the schadenfreude of the fact that DC fans now know the feeling of reading through Bendis's ultra-decompressed storytelling style.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm not quite on board with burning it all down because Jon aged up just yet.
    Who said burning it all Down.I did not like how lois and clark was portayed in AC 1000.i would accept Jon being aged up (largely have), if Clark and Lois characterisation was good. so,it has largely nothing to with Jon being aged up. I read these books for Clark. I did not like Clark there. Clark was an overprotective dad.Clark used to get angry at small thing when it came to Jon, same with Lois. I don't like how nonchalant Clark was being about his Wife leaving his son in space. It was left as an unimportant foot note. I sensed no worry from them as parents.They felt like teens.And I more ambivalent to how Jon returned "hey dad, what's up".I would not like this Change to be side note. Like they just say "look guys Jon is now almost an adult and he is a warrior., but nothing has changed. Clark and Lois are great. Jon is the same.. Etc"
    And In universe Clark is already being ridculed, so is Lois. So why would it matter if Lois is dating Superman, not Clark Kent.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2018 at 10:25 PM.

I went through the problems I have with that potential storyline. The main one is Lois is married to Clark Kent and 99% of the DCU doesn’t know Clark Kent is Superman. So she can’t “date” Superman instead of Clark. It plays on the worst stereotypes of Lois Lane, makes her out in universe to appear to betray her husband, and plays up sympathy for Clark Kent at her expense. And makes Superman look like a coward allowing his wife to be dragged like that to protect his identity.

That said I do see the potential for it to take on some serious issues with media and the treatment of women in particular. And maybe even subvert the worst portrayals of Lois. But again, not sure Bendis has it in him to handle that. We’d likely get a lot of gross jokes at Lois and Clark’s expense but it’d be ”ok” because it’s not really cheating.

And I’m not that put off by Lois leaving Jon with Jor El yet because like you said above Bendis is going to likely explain why Lois felt comfortable leaving Jon in this storyline in Superman. There’s likely more to Jor El’s presence here that we can’t know unti Doomsday Clock plays out. And most importantly Clark trusts Lois to make decisions for Jon’s wellbeing. So while it wasn’t executed well in Action 1004, it wasn’t completely ignored or out of character. And I don’t need to see them punished because I thought it was glossed over a little.

Bendis has said this is a story of Fathers and Sons. Parenting is a big through line for his whole Superman arc. Part of parenting is knowing when you have to stop being overprotective and let your kids experience things on their own. I don’t think Clark’s overprotective streak was portrayed as a positive trait either before by Tomasi & Gleason. He knew he had to let Jon go a bit I think. That’s the point of the bike metaphor they discuss in 1004. Clark trusts and agreed with Lois’s judgement with respect to Jon.

And Jon’s age up is not going to be glossed over, Bendis has said this will be a tragic experience for Clark and Lois. I don’t know where you get the sense it will be glossed over and business as usual.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-24-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I went through the problems I have with that potential storyline. The main one is Lois is married to Clark Kent and 99% of the DCU doesn’t know Clark Kent is Superman. So she can’t “date” Superman instead of Clark. It plays on the worst stereotypes of Lois Lane, makes her out in universe to appear to betray her husband, and plays up sympathy for Clark Kent at her expense. And makes Superman look like a coward allowing his wife to be dragged like that to protect his identity.

I do see the potential for it to take on some serious issues with media and the treatment of women in particular. But again, not sure Bendis has it in him to handle that. We’d likely get a lot of gross jokes at Lois and Clark’s expense but it’d be ”ok” because it’s not really cheating.

And I’m not that put off by Lois leaving Jon with Jor El yet because Bendis is going to likely explain why Lois felt comfortable leaving Jon in this storyline in Superman. There’s likely more to Jor El’s presence here that we can’t know unti Doomsday Clock plays out. And most importantly Clark trusts Lois to make decisions for Jon’s wellbeing. So while it wasn’t executed well in Action 1004, it wasn’t completely ignored or out of character. And I don’t need to see them punished because I thought it was glossed over a little.

Bendis has said this is a story of Fathers and Sons. Parenting is a big through line for his whole Superman arc. Part of parenting is knowing when you have to stop being overprotective and let your kids experience things on their own. I don’t think Clark’s overprotective streak was portrayed as a positive trait either before by Tomasi & Gleason. He knew he had to let Jon go a bit I think. That’s the point of the bike metaphor they discuss in 1004. Clark trusts and agreed with Lois’s judgement with respect to Jon.

And Jon’s age up is not going to be glossed over, Bendis has said this will be a tragic experience for Clark and Lois. I don’t know where you get the sense it will be glossed over and business as usual.
    That still, wouldn't explain why Clark was so casual about. The whole issue, just made me hate Lois and Clark,just made feel bad for Jon. It does not make me feel bad for the situation. Just made me hate their incompetence. I wanted Clark to blow a gasket. The tension should have been about this and not informing him about after returning. It is not Clark doesn't get angry.no,matter what kindof explanation they give with this being after doomsday clock(if it happens) and Clark trusting jor el more. He Is still stranger and not a mentally fine person.Not a guy, I would send my kid and wife with.And I have never actually hated any of the Clark portrayals even injustice.
    I don't agree with the notion that the Clark is supposed to be a bad mentor.one of the few things Smallville did right was how good Clark can be with kids and being a mentor.without removing the his general awkwardness.
    For me Clark always takes In strays. That is just who he is.

Like in this episode
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-25-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Again there has to be some missing story between the Jor El from the end of Oz Effect who was kidnapped by Manhattan and the Jor El from Man of Steel. So you factor that in and he’s likely not a stranger to Clark and mentally he’s not mind controlled anymore. So that’s one thing.

Second Lois obviously will be spending some time with him and observing him and likely coming to trust Jor El with her son. That’s the story we are about to see in this Superman arc. I highly doubt she’s going to leave Jon thinking Jor El is crazy or untrustworthy. I have doubts about Bendis but I don’t think he’s that clueless.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-25-2018 at 12:11 AM.

BANNED

In regards to Sacred's frustrations, it does the three issues of monthly Jon focus is very much a case of the book spinning it's wheels waiting for Doomsday Clock to pass over. I still think Bendis' era won't truly begin until everything stops being prologue to it.

March’s issue of Doomsday Clock sounds like it’s going to be the one to lay out exactly what Manhattan did to the timeline. That might take some of the restraints off what can be addressed in the rest of the DCU. Supposedly there’s a cut off date when the JSA and Legion can be used. At that point there may be more they can address with Jor El as well.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-25-2018 at 12:29 AM.

What actually gave me a bit of a laugh was that had Bendis indicated that he was only focusing like an issue or half on it then pitchforks would be out about how he glossed over the lost years, and "what was the point of sending them to space if you weren't gonna show us any of it." Like, I know for a fact that would be the complaint. Not saying anyone here would change their tune (I can't know that for sure), but I do know there'd be a big stink over it. Can't seem to win either way lol