Page 30 of 613 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130530 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think it's a great idea to get a taste of where Bendis will be taking things. But it's easy to skip otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wonder if it will actually be a revamped Black Zero (that was his name, right?). If we have to do this at all, seems a waste to not use a villain that's been collecting dust for decades and who could be revamped with little (if any) fanboys being close minded to any changes.
    Yes, and he was, well... crazy. If Bendis decides to bring back the space pirate empire, I will post a pic of his name buzzed into my hair.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Also more hints that Krypton was deliberately destroyed.
    So basically a modern version of this:

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

Somebody should photo-shop Bendis' head onto Black Zero's body . . .

Just saying concerning Black Zero... we know that a cult with this name will pop in Sideways, over at the New Age of Heroes lineup... SO I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that the new vilain who destroyed Krypton was tied to it. It is making a comeback, so why not use it in the line of books which birthed it in the first place ?

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Can we please stop with the new origins crap and just move forward. Everyone knows some version of Superman's origin story. No reason to keep dwelling on it. The exact details don't matter, especially not after Clark makes his debut as Superman.

Nobody should "have to" read a mini-series telling Superman's "official, canonical" origins in order to read SUPERMAN or ACTION COMICS. Ever.
    As long as continuity is a major thing, and it is and will continue to be a major thing because that's the demand from the audience, then you must have a solid foundation to go off of. Its just non-negotiable. Not ever single detail accounted for constantly, but just a solid guiding light. But even that, Superman has supremely lacked for the past 20 years or so. He's had some many origins in the past because DC continues to fail him in that aspect. Its the same reason Wonder Woman resets all the time. You can move forward when you have that, but when you don't have you go to back and establish it right. That they can't get it right is their failing of course, but accepting a shoddy foundation and ignoring it doesn't work either. Again, not when things are so continuity heavy. And it has to be at this point because when they've tried to move away from a strict continuity, like with the DCYou movement, sales have shown a pretty meaningful rejection of the concept.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

As long as continuity is a major thing, and it is and will continue to be a major thing because that's the demand from the audience, then you must have a solid foundation to go off of. Its just non-negotiable. Not ever single detail accounted for constantly, but just a solid guiding light. But even that, Superman has supremely lacked for the past 20 years or so. He's had some many origins in the past because DC continues to fail him in that aspect. Its the same reason Wonder Woman resets all the time. You can move forward when you have that, but when you don't have you go to back and establish it right. That they can't get it right is their failing of course, but accepting a shoddy foundation and ignoring it doesn't work either. Again, not when things are so continuity heavy. And it has to be at this point because when they've tried to move away from a strict continuity, like with the DCYou movement, sales have shown a pretty meaningful rejection of the concept.
    Secret Origin is a solid guiding light for a origin though, it gets the basics and is the reason there wasn't a need to do a new origin story when reborn happened.

It got the basics at the time (its problem was that it was a terrible story, not that it didn't hit the basic notes necessary). It doesn't necessarily now that Reborn merged things. We know of course the status quo is far more post-IC than New 52, but there are still some differences. Biggest difference of course being the Kents' keeping the pre-Crisis/New 52 fate over the post-Crisis one. So there are important things that need to be clarified again that a more brief flyover, while preferred, won't and haven't covered yet. Actually the biggest difference now is Jon, if the MOS series wants to focus on that too and not just the origin. In fact who knows, the MOS mini might have plans to streamline Jon's existence into the continuity a bit more, which I think is much needed. Mainly because forcing the events of the L&C mini into canon was a big mistake as merging it in required more detail than was given to make it fit, due to things that have to be changed to make it fit in the first place. With this maybe they can at the very least very least give it enough attention so it fits the continuity better. Or who knows, outright remove it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't know if it was already posted... Tomasi and Jurgens will have 2 double-sized specials each to wrap-up their runs before Bendis takes over the franchise: https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/sta...30803234197504
    This was more then I was expecting DC to give Tomasi and Jurgens as far as concluding their runs. Cool .

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't know if it was already posted... Tomasi and Jurgens will have 2 double-sized specials each to wrap-up their runs before Bendis takes over the franchise: https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/sta...30803234197504
    I was no fan of either run, but that's really nice.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It got the basics at the time (its problem was that it was a terrible story, not that it didn't hit the basic notes necessary). It doesn't necessarily now that Reborn merged things. We know of course the status quo is far more post-IC than New 52, but there are still some differences. Biggest difference of course being the Kents' keeping the pre-Crisis/New 52 fate over the post-Crisis one. So there are important things that need to be clarified again that a more brief flyover, while preferred, won't and haven't covered yet. Actually the biggest difference now is Jon, if the MOS series wants to focus on that too and not just the origin. In fact who knows, the MOS mini might have plans to streamline Jon's existence into the continuity a bit more, which I think is much needed. Mainly because forcing the events of the L&C mini into canon was a big mistake as merging it in required more detail than was given to make it fit, due to things that have to be changed to make it fit in the first place. With this maybe they can at the very least very least give it enough attention so it fits the continuity better. Or who knows, outright remove it.
    secret origin didn't factor the parents into the story as soon as Clark left for Metropolis though, so the story doesn't really even need to be changed. And since Doomsday Clock just showed us the flashback of reborn superman's parents dying, there really isn't need to revisit it.

The main things I want in the MOS mini is making when Clark joined JL fit in the timeline better, when exacly Jon was born, clearly stating when he wore each costume and the exact story that had Lois running from intergang while she was pregnant and why Superman wore the black suit and the new 52 suit at the sam time.

That's a fair point. However I maintain the pregnancy can very much be clarified, and in fact in retrospect is far more important (again I don't think it HAD to be detailed had they not forced the L&C mini in, but they did so it does). If that ends up being part of things more than just Clark's origin and the Krypton secrets, then this will very much be a worthwhile endeavor in my eyes.

If this is, on the other hand, just a project designed to create one or two big stories for the present, while I general find those types of motivations to tell an origin again rather underwhelming, they better sure as hell see them through this time. That was the main point of Secret Origin, to supplement New Krypton, and when that went to pot SO lost all meaning.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

They had a far different definition of what a terrifying villain should look like back in the late sixties! They used to dress so dapper!
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Superman has a lot of bald villains. Lex. Golden age ultrahumanite, most versions of Brainiac, ol' Black Zero here. They must really envy his full head of slick hair.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I had the same confusion as you at first, but DC's official press release says Gleason will be on action comics, can't be more confirmed than that. And the timeline makes since, Gleason is currently drawing action 1000, he'll have time to draw action comics 1001 since it'll be delayed till July.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just briefly skimmed the press release. But yeah, thank god it has gone monthly then. Gleason should be able to maintain a regular monthly title. So that's another positive for the switch to monthly. No way could he do bi-weekly.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The only major reason to change it that I can see, outside they just didn't like it either, is that they plan to do something that either directly contradicts SO or just plain doesn't fit. Sort of like a supplement to it. Having a villain be responsible for the death of Krypton in and of itself doesn't necessarily contradict SO so my guess is MOS may actually spend more time focusing on the "how we got here" aspect. The birth of Jon, what happened to the Kents, whatever his role with the Legion may be, his history with the League, how he and Lois got together. Stuff SO doesn't cover. The "new" origin may not be so much new as it may just cover a small fraction of the book in comparison to the other stuff. They could just be tacking this onto SO.
    Assassinate Putin!