Page 309 of 613 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319359409 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 9194
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Hanging out down the street with friends is cool,but u go home every night.jon can hang out with friends in the future,but go home every night.thats a good compromise,so you get him in the future,but he still is with his parents every night
    I mean technically he can spend 56 years in the future and return to the exact moment he left. Jon would only return two hours later if he spent two hours in the future if he was concerned with not aging asynchronously with his friends and family. I don't know how far off it would be from when parents let their children sleep over at a friend's house in that respect. It requires a great deal of trust on many parties, but it doesn't inherently make anyone a bad parent.

Clark was having those adventures as a kid and the Kents are the gold standard for parents in the DCU, so it's not as if there's no precedent for this working. The creative team's execution of the concept is what matters.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean technically he can spend 56 years in the future and return to the exact moment he left. Jon would only return two hours later if he spent two hours in the future if he was concerned with not aging asynchronously with his friends and family. I don't know how far off it would be from when parents let their children sleep over at a friend's house in that respect. It requires a great deal of trust on many parties, but it doesn't inherently make anyone a bad parent.

Clark was having those adventures as a kid and the Kents are the gold standard for parents in the DCU, so it's not as if there's no precedent for this working. The creative team's execution of the concept is what matters.

Your missing the point of being a parent,you have to actually parent your kid,not send him away for a huge amount of time and act like you are hot shit parents.

Regardless of whatever the outcome of Jon’s status, I think it’s pretty clear the family centered storytelling dynamics that dominated the Rebirth era are over. Lois, Clark, and Jon are going to continue on as a family unit, there’s no breakups or evil turns coming but it’s not going to be the nuclear family take we’ve seen. They’ll love and support each other but I think the storytelling will be different.

Bendis has repeatedly said all families and marriages don’t have the same shape. And he’s changing the shape of this one. For better or worse remains to be seen. This isn’t going back to Jon having dinner on the table for Lois and Clark when they get home from work. I think that was part of Bendis’ marching orders when he took over.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-08-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Your missing the point of being a parent,you have to actually parent your kid,not send him away for a huge amount of time and act like you are hot shit parents.
    That appears kind of be the point of Jon’s age up. He went away with Grandpa for a summer trip and came back 3 years older. They are going to have to deal with losing that portion of his life. That’s the tragedy of the situation.

Isn’t the current rumor that Jon is going to be 17? If that stupidness is the case then L&C basically already failed their chance to raise their kid.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Isn’t the current rumor that Jon is going to be 17? If that stupidness is the case then L&C basically already failed their chance to raise their kid.
    It’s still vague but it’s tagged as “years” on the cover of Superman 7. And yeah, I think that’s kind of the storyline Bendis is going for. He said it’s going to be an actual tragedy for Lois and Clark and not a near miss. It’s going to hurt them and push Superman into making some tough decisions on actions he takes as a hero.

I'm not missing the point at all, but Jon isn't going down the street, he's going to a completely different time. There's no way Clark and Lois can control how long he spends there, he has to be the one to return. Much like if you trust your child to drive and work part-time when they're 16, there's no ensuring they don't just take the car and run away. It's trust.

The Kents trusted that Clark would make the right decisions and return home when he went to the future. Thus far, Jon has proven to his parents that he's worthy of the same trust on their part. Part of being a parent is knowing that you need to slowly allow your children to make some choices of their life so they can make mistakes and learn from them and hope that your parenting has given them the tools to ensure the choices they make and the lessons they learn guide them toward being the best person they can be.

Parents allow their children to study abroad because they genuinely feel their child can enrich their life in ways they wouldn't be able to staying at home. Jon is a special kid. Now that he's aged up into his teens, it may be time to let him spend some time out of the house without their supervision because they know they've given him the right tools to best carry himself. Every child is different, especially a Superboy.

It's an entirely different ball park now with Jon's age jump, one that I'm hoping is reversed eventually, but anything goes right now.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Regardless of whatever the outcome of Jon’s status, I think it’s pretty clear the family centered storytelling dynamics that dominated the Rebirth era are over. Lois, Clark, and Jon are going to continue on as a family unit, there’s no breakups or evil turns coming but it’s not going to be the nuclear family take we’ve seen. They’ll love and support each other but I think the storytelling will be different.

Bendis has repeatedly said all families and marriages don’t have the same shape. And he’s changing the shape of this one. For better or worse remains to be seen. This isn’t going back to Jon having dinner on the table for Lois and Clark when they get home from work. I think that was part of Bendis’ marching orders when he took over.
    But don't we have this in the Bat family? We had it with Linda and Wally, but then that went out the window.

I'm wondering now if the LoSH will all be teens in order to make it easier to keep Jon in the future.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That appears kind of be the point of Jon’s age up. He went away with Grandpa for a summer trip and came back 3 years older. They are going to have to deal with losing that portion of his life. That’s the tragedy of the situation.
    Yeah! I would not compare Jon leaving with a complete stranger with mental health issue a "summer trip". If it was "summer trip", why was Clark so angry destroying meteors and moping around so much. When your kid goes to summer trip that is not the kind behaviour you have.

Then what is the point of having a family. Just erase the whole concept by having mxy or anyone else.do away with Jon's relationship with his absentee parents.if Clark nor Lois gets to raise Jon. Then what is the point of it. This revertion to love triangle era, honestly feels like a huge regression. It is not only forced, but also disgusting for the characters I like. They are not some young chick or handsome single dude anymore. They have been married for 10 to 15 years. If Their marriage troubles and issues don't have that maturity or nuance then it is bad writing. I for one am glad tomasi did not focus on that. He might have botched it.so he decided to take it in other direction,had fun family ride with them.

And I don't feel any sympathy for Clois. I feel kind of like "they got what they deserved". If Lois and Clark are going to be like Action Comics 1004 then. Yeah! I don't want any part of that. This version would not be for me. I would have tolerated(keyword) it, if these guys were just husband and wife. But they are not. They have a kid. When you have a kid that depends on you. Everything in your life becomes secondary even the relationship. So, yeah! Erase the whole damn relation. Just make Jon a kid from parallel timeline or something with different superfamily.then atleast I would not have to read them like this. This Clois can be married with their own stories and relationship troubles, not tied down by them being parents.if reverting to that era is that important.

I am down with Jon going with Legion. If I was Jon, staying with his parents would be last thing I would want. If he is this battle scarred warrior from space. He lost his childhood. He would not face his friends immediately. His parents are strangers. So, he would rather go find new friends.it fits.

If he is going to be staying. And supersons or teen titans is what they have in mind. Then it becomes tricky. Jon has to come to terms with this Damian And vice versa. If Kathy, maya.. Etc are involved. He will be meeting them after years in space. So, he might be having troubles reintegrating with them and family.

Spectacular Member

The ship has already sailed on Lois and Superman being good parents. They have already missed a third of their own sons life through your own fault it has stopped being tragic and become negligent years ago.

Which is why I haven't felt sorry for Clark in the comics, and only for Jon. He deserved better parents than he got.

Sending him away to the Legion could be seen as taking a child away from parents that are so horrible they might harm him further.
    As someone already posted on this thread. Jon is probably already traumatized. In my opinion we should not add to this.
    Save Jon from Superman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

To be honest, I always figured Clark would spend some time after school and on weekends in the future (likely returning an equal length of time from when he left so as to not age asynchronously) when he was growing up with Smallville, even if DC doesn't explicitly state so.
    This right here is totally my point. Clark did this all the time when he was a teenager (actually very much around the age Jon seems to be now....*subtle as a sledgehammer hint*). And he'd do it dang near ever day after school.

But most are thinking "well, sure all he did was pal around, stop some bad guys in the future for an afternoon, then come home before dinner. Not 100% true at all. Clark would weeks if not months in the future during the bronze and silver ages. Clark and his future friends went to other planets, realities, and star systems before he even reached the drinking age. The one Legion of Superheroes cartoon there is even has Clark staying there for what is likely year before returning home the moment he left.

His has precedent in earlier DC comics (some of Bendis' favorite comics in DC, I might add), so I don't see the leap.

I'm not missing the point at all, but Jon isn't going down the street, he's going to a completely different time. There's no way Clark and Lois can control how long he spends there, he has to be the one to return. Much like if you trust your child to drive and work part-time when they're 16, there's no ensuring they don't just take the car and run away. It's trust.
    That's a damn fine analogy. Not 1 to 1, but it doesn't need to be because the main idea is the same: trusting that your young adult in the making is their best self and they come back to you.

Yup. 100% That's damn near Death In The Family style tragedy of the situation that facilitates storytelling that would've been more unlikely without it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-08-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

There is an ironic possibility that this new superestranged family status quo could end up being considerably more depressing than the classic single lonely Superman status quo ever was. I mean there’s no shame in being single, but Clark as a failed family man with a wife who’s more of an occasional booty call than a partner and dealing with premature “cats in the cradle and the silver spoon.” That’s steering into pathetic loser territory.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That's certainly....a way to look at it. And likely how Clark's gonna feel at the start because, as we've established, Clark likes to keep things about as normal as possible when given the opportunity. He doesn't really consider alternatives. I think it's gonna be a journey for him as well as the reader. And Bendis is going to need to convince both Clark and us that this isn't failure, and a family doesn't always have to take traditional shapes one 2 out of 3 of the family members have the powers of a god and access to sci-fi tech like time bubbles.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

There is an ironic possibility that this new superestranged family status quo could end up being considerably more depressing than the classic single lonely Superman status quo ever was. I mean there’s no shame in being single, but Clark as a failed family man with a wife who’s more of an occasional booty call than a partner and dealing with premature “cats in the cradle and the silver spoon.” That’s steering into pathetic loser territory.
    Which is why I don't see it going there at all. Bendis does seem to be taking things away from Clark, but I see it more as having him suffer before he gets them all back. If Bendis thinks a modern family is one that splits up most the time, well I won't be a fan if that's his endgame, but so far it seems like his goal is one that can overcome any obstacle thrown at them. He's hit more than he's missed with Superman so I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fantastic Member

Well, remember that Dan DiDio doesn't think superheroes should be happy, ever. Superman as a dad should have been one of the most natural story progressions ever for the character, but of course it's going to be ruined (and in a way that can't be easily retconned by anyone who might want to do so).