Page 31 of 613 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    As long as continuity is a major thing, and it is and will continue to be a major thing because that's the demand from the audience, then you must have a solid foundation to go off of. Its just non-negotiable. Not ever single detail accounted for constantly, but just a solid guiding light. But even that, Superman has supremely lacked for the past 20 years or so. He's had some many origins in the past because DC continues to fail him in that aspect. Its the same reason Wonder Woman resets all the time. You can move forward when you have that, but when you don't have you go to back and establish it right. That they can't get it right is their failing of course, but accepting a shoddy foundation and ignoring it doesn't work either. Again, not when things are so continuity heavy. And it has to be at this point because when they've tried to move away from a strict continuity, like with the DCYou movement, sales have shown a pretty meaningful rejection of the concept.
    We know the broad strokes of his current status quo. However those are only broad. So it is perfectly reasonable to assume that Man Of Steel will flesh things out further. I don't think that is why it is being done though. It is being done because Bendis wants to set up his new villain. To do that, he needs to go back to Krypton's destruction.

After this, No more for at least 10 years. In the last 15 years we've had 4-5 retelling's of Superman's origin. DC needs to go, "This is the official tale from here on out." Just move on and begin forging new paths for Superman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeding Cool speculating Bendis changed a lot of the plans for Superman, don't seem to actually have any rumors, just going by tweets. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...mice-supermen/
    And Amazon listings.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Bleeding Cool speculating Bendis changed a lot of the plans for Superman, don't seem to actually have any rumors, just going by tweets. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...mice-supermen/
    So then all of this is last minute? How reliable is BC when it comes to this stuff?
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So then all of this is last minute? How reliable is BC when it comes to this stuff?
    As with most rumor and gossip, it's a mixed bag. Bleeding Cool has certainly had its fair share of legit scoops, but those scoops are outweighed by a fair amount of clickbait garbage that has no basis in reality.

However, I will give Bleeding Cool credit for being one of the few comics websites that was willing to call out Eddie Berganza on his long history of sexual harassment while most willingly ignored it for fear of DC blacklisting them.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    And Amazon listings.
    To be fair those could have been fake listings to hide the fact that Bendis was taking over. I doubt this was all thrown together at the last minute.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    And Amazon listings.
    To be fair those could have been fake listings to hide the fact that Bendis was taking over. I doubt this was all thrown together at the last minute.
    I question whether DC would knowingly be submitting "fake listings" to Amazon. If Amazon caught on, they might be less likely to carry some DC products after awhile, and I don't know if Amazon would need DC more than DC would want to make product available through Amazon.
    Besides, DC doesn't need to submit "fake listings" to cover up the situation; they could just not submit solicitations so far in advance on those products.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I question whether DC would knowingly be submitting "fake listings" to Amazon. If Amazon caught on, they might be less likely to carry some DC products after awhile, and I don't know if Amazon would need DC more than DC would want to make product available through Amazon.
    Besides, DC doesn't need to submit "fake listings" to cover up the situation; they could just not submit solicitations so far in advance on those products.
    Yeah, I don't think they purposely created a listing to mislead fans and buyers. I think the people who make the trades probably put that list up assuming things would continue as normal and in the last few months things changed.

Then again, like you said, this couldn't have been put together at the last minute since Bendis is starting off with a 6 issue weekly series. He just finished his last marvel issue a few weeks ago, how would he have time to write all of this in a quick time frame? Definitely interested to here a timeline of these events, I know he will be on the word balloon podcast this week, hopefully we can get more background.

. . . Then again, like you said, this couldn't have been put together at the last minute since Bendis is starting off with a 6 issue weekly series. He just finished his last marvel issue a few weeks ago, how would he have time to write all of this in a quick time frame?
    These days, who knows if/how many of those 6 issues he's already written?

And it could also be that he was going to work on the six issues while Action Comics and Superman would have continued to be published for a few months under the current writers and artists. (Remember, Action Comics, if it had continued at its regular twice-a-month pace, would have seen issue #1000 released March 28th, so Jurgens could have easily done one arc after that before Bendis might have taken over with a later issue number than #1001.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I doubt that DC would go through the trouble of creating fake solicitations. More likely is that Bendis coming on is exactly what it is - a change in plans.

It's pretty obvious given the storylines that were unfolding in his Marvel books and the interviews he was giving well into the fall about his future plans there that he was not planning on leaving anytime soon. What happened to prompt his decision to jump ship will likely stay private (the story he tells about a visit to the Superman museum sounds nice but is clearly doesn't tell the full tale) but I think it's clear that it was somewhat sudden and not something that was long in the works.

Given the long lead time for comics, I wouldn't say that this is a "last minute" rush job but I will say that where DC saw the Superman line going even four months ago is not where it's going now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I doubt that DC would go through the trouble of creating fake solicitations.
    Which is funny because that's exactly what they did to conceal much of Selina and Bruce's engagement with Tom King on Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Which is funny because that's exactly what they did to conceal much of Selina and Bruce's engagement with Tom King on Batman
    Were those more "fake" or "nebulous"?
    And were they just the ones for individual issues, or were there also "fake ones" for the collected volumes that were also submitted to Amazon.com, etc.?

(NOTE: I don't honestly know what specific "solicitations" you're referring to as "fake"; I barely pay attention to those solicitations any more since I don't buy Batman or Detective Comics these days.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    (NOTE: I don't honestly know what specific "solicitations" you're referring to as "fake"; I barely pay attention to those solicitations any more since I don't buy Batman or Detective Comics these days.)
    It was for the issues following "War of Jokes and Riddles" as well as the ones for the "Superfriends" arcs.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can't entirely say they couldn't put out an incorrect listing on purpose, but that sounds like a strange hassle. In the past they've been clever about obscuring solicit information, like with "super league ":

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/02...-2016-revealed

BANNED

Am I the only one who would like to see Bendis put some edgy subversions in Superman, it's what made me love his ultimate spider-man and invincible ironman giving them darker quirks that border on real life, Peter was way more aggressive and selfish than typical spidey and tony was way more calculating and competant than typical tony but he did it in a way that he actually complimented their core characters(and still acted like the tradition heroes we know and love) while reinvigorating them in the same time, I like to see how Bendis writes Superman outside of good and just comfort zone savior and just make him a bit more silver age and with a dash of Hercules as a figure of power; he keeps his traidtion compassion and love for all life but gets too emotional to the point of being akin to a overprotective dictator in taking measures that he can't control, it gives him a nice flaw of caring to much and being to obsessed with his job as well, also applies to Lois and Jon, I want Lois to be more a wife that actually needs Superman to reign her in being more a amoral and pragmatic in protecting their son and having her reporting skills explored as a dark impulse to expose meta humans, the modern world, issues with corrupt villains and goverment monsters, and of course Superman from a sense of either jealousy, ego, pride, or cynisim. Jon needs to develop a quirk that combines both his dad and moms base traits and maybe serve as a deconstruction of the good little heroic boy, maybe make him autistic or borderline ocd in being a hero, something has to stray him in being just Superman's son, he needs to be his own character that actually warrents clark's wisdom or expertise but doesn't heed his beliefs or principles all the way, maybe something like a goofy, nice and bright yet atypical moral opportunist that sees the world like a true kyrptionian would than a human in terms of a hero, instead of Gohan, Jon is like Gon from Hunter x Hunter and has moments where killing the villain is needed because not of any preference in doing justice but a need to survive and fufill some sort of pride in himself, he has a big heart like his father and makes friends easy but the problem is he'd litterally do anything to protect them or avenge them, going as far as teaming up with enemies like Lex or Darkseid to achieve his own agenda than compromising for the greater good with a villain team up.

I know Bendis won';t disappoint, he actually wants to reconstruct the classics and make them more than inflexible status quos.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 02-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Did they list different creators in those solicitations or were they just vague about plot specifics? I'm guessing the latter.

Concealing story details is one thing. That happens all the time. But I think up until the announcement with Bendis was officially made - and maybe even for a bit after, until details were hammered out - the current creators on the Superman titles were expected to stay in place. Given that their work on these books has been well received, why wouldn't DC keep them on - save for the event of some big shake up, like Bendis coming aboard?