Page 323 of 613 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 9194
    Master Hero Vladimir

Having read Superman #7, I've been thinking that Bendis either wants to subvert the audiences' expectations, like The Last Jedi, or he had no idea about what Lois should do in space. That takes away any potential suspense or dramatic tension from this plotline. There is some dramatic tension to be had in Superboy's age increase but we'll see how it goes. Just when it looks like Superman and his family will be out of their comfort zone, Bendis throws them back into that zone with this issue. This wasn't a bad issue, at least in my opinion, but it makes me think that Bendis is consumed by a lack of ambition and a fear of taking risks. His stories, for now, have been kept in this middle-of-the-road safe zone, at least in my opinion. They are not great, just good enough.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Looks like the Jon's status may become more broadly known in the Levithan arc, Bendis was just asked who was going to tell Sam Lane about Jon's age up and he replied:
    So we'll see the other grandpa again soon, it makes since for him to show up in that storyline too. Really excited for everything coming finally. Superman was dragging a bit with the rogal zaar bit, but I'm fully on board again with the Jon plotline.

God, I love everything he’s saying in that interview.

I earlier mentioned that Tomasi’s Rockwell-esque take didn’t work for me (and Jurgens is just plain old trash). That’s because it’s too old school. I want something current with Superman, and Bendis is delivering that. It works for something like JSA but the idealized life is not something I wanna see because Superman already kinda “has it all” in a way. I’m glad Bendis isn’t just challenging Clark as a hero but as a journalist, father, and husband too.

Imo Lois first priority was always Jon even before Clark so abonding him with the grandpa who is absolutely not thrustworthy and dangerous is abysmal writing as it worst!
    The worst part is something that many dont consider is that Clark and Jon excusing her behavior so something like brainwashing is not the case in this scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    God, I love everything he’s saying in that interview.

I earlier mentioned that Tomasi’s Rockwell-esque take didn’t work for me (and Jurgens is just plain old trash). That’s because it’s too old school. I want something current with Superman, and Bendis is delivering that. It works for something like JSA but the idealized life is not something I wanna see because Superman already kinda “has it all” in a way. I’m glad Bendis isn’t just challenging Clark as a hero but as a journalist, father, and husband too.
    Jurgens for me is a guy too obsessed with his past glories. He has to shove Hank Henshaw (an extremely boring and one note character) into everything he does. I enjoyed the parts of his work where he actually used the Rebirth status quo but the stories that were him just going “Hey remember my old runs on Superman? Doomsday? Henshaw?” That was extremely boring to me.

Tomasi I gotta disagree. The vacation arc where Clark and Lois wax on about how great the US Army is sucked and was so incredibly boring. I hated how much filler Tomasi needed. But otherwise I really enjoyed his arcs. Despite everyone both fans and haters acting like Tomasi’s run was utterly free from any conflict or darkness I found his run to be a surprisingly deep and dark dive into Supes. Jon kills the cat in issue 1 and then lies to his parents about it. It wasn’t all “$&@! Yeah America!” and issue 45 was one of the strongest finale issues for a Superman run I’ve ever seen. Up there with Morrison's Final Action Comics issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jon kills the cat in issue 1
    I mentally blocked that part out. It made me mad not as a Superman fan, or even a comicbook fan, but as a cat person. Just thinking about it makes me get all pouty, so thanks.

Also, Tomasi Batman > Tomasi Superman. So, you can imagine how happy I was when BC leaked that he was writing Detective Comics lol.

I liked Jurgens run, it was able to use the family without making it all about the family, which was nice. It had a nice mystery to it with the fake Clark (way more interesting than this Krypton conspiracy crap) in its first half, and the back half was consistently solid with the revenge squad, Oz effect and Booster Gold arc. Plus I’ll take Henshaw and Doomsday over Rogol Zarr any day.

Kon93

Dont hate on jurgens,he might be old school,but atleast you know he wont wrote your characters OOC for story reasons.

God we are gonna have val zod superman and Conner Kent superboy on earth and Clark and Jon off planet,bank on it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Dont hate on jurgens,he might be old school,but atleast you know he wont wrote your characters OOC for story reasons.

God we are gonna have val zod superman and Conner Kent superboy on earth and Clark and Jon off planet,bank on it
    Is this honestly a bad thing? I ask because we hardly ever get super books that use the full gamut of characters, if at all, in the last several years. It's nice to spread out a little imo. It's not as though it will be permanent if in deed Bendis utilizes Val-Zod and Conner as place holders of sorts while Clark and Jon are dealing with Jor-El.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Is this honestly a bad thing? I ask because we hardly ever get super books that use the full gamut of characters, if at all, in the last several years. It's nice to spread out a little imo. It's not as though it will be permanent if in deed Bendis utilizes Val-Zod and Conner as place holders of sorts while Clark and Jon are dealing with Jor-El.
    Nope not at all,i look forward to the pacifist showing up,and maybe having to deal with a um "high spirited" SB lol.

I knew all of this still was in play.

DD Clock.jpg

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

"When we hear his story about what Jon has been through, and how impossible it is, and how many opportunities he had to betray his core values, and never did, I think people are going to see that it is the most honoring of the Superman legacy of any story I'll tell."

I feel like this Bendis quote from the interview is one that more people should pay attention to, because he is right, us seeing how Jon was so young but still managed to be a good,decent person in space because of what clark and lois teached him will show just how inspiring Superman can be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    "When we hear his story about what Jon has been through, and how impossible it is, and how many opportunities he had to betray his core values, and never did, I think people are going to see that it is the most honoring of the Superman legacy of any story I'll tell."

I feel like this Bendis quote from the interview is one that more people should pay attention to, because he is right, us seeing how Jon was so young but still managed to be a good,decent person in space because of what clark and lois teached him will show just how inspiring Superman can be.
    That, more than anything else he said in that interview made me happy. This is the kind of effect Superman needs to have on those around him, to inspire them to be the best they can be and for little Jon to do this in what is essentially a hostile environment while with someone by his side egging him to abandon all those values his father and mother imbued in him is great.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That did not strike me all that great. Since, jon being good boy is obvious to me. He did get kidnapped what? 3 times. And manchester black did play all sorts of mind games with him.yet, He did not break.
    But, i like the part where he called jon "superman"
    "He kind of shows you what kind of Superman he is"
    This what i am looking forward too.

Master Hero Vladimir

Look, I've been enjoying Bendis' stories but with Superman #7, I got the feeling that Bendis just sanitized the plotline with Superman and his family. Lois expressing feelings about the Kents not being normal? That's just a coping mechanism on how she feels about her husband being treated as royalty by the galactic community. Jon spending time with his grandfather? He flew back to his parents and told him Jor-El is crazy. Any potential separation between Superman and Lois? It doesn't look like it will last long. Is Bendis afraid of taking risks?