Page 324 of 613 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374424 ... LastLast
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Look, I've been enjoying Bendis' stories but with Superman #7, I got the feeling that Bendis just sanitized the plotline with Superman and his family. Lois expressing feelings about the Kents not being normal? That's just a coping mechanism on how she feels about her husband being treated as royalty by the galactic community. Jon spending time with his grandfather? He flew back to his parents and told him Jor-El is crazy. Any potential separation between Superman and Lois? It doesn't look like it will last long. Is Bendis afraid of taking risks?
    Is the writer who killed Peter and replaced him with Miles afraid of taking risks? Is the author who killed several fan favorites in Marvel events afraid of taking risks? lol definitely not.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Is the writer who killed Peter and replaced him with Miles afraid of taking risks? Is the author who killed several fan favorites in Marvel events afraid of taking risks? lol definitely not.
    That is not exactly,fair.He is asking the question regarding current run.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Look, I've been enjoying Bendis' stories but with Superman #7, I got the feeling that Bendis just sanitized the plotline with Superman and his family. Lois expressing feelings about the Kents not being normal? That's just a coping mechanism on how she feels about her husband being treated as royalty by the galactic community. Jon spending time with his grandfather? He flew back to his parents and told him Jor-El is crazy. Any potential separation between Superman and Lois? It doesn't look like it will last long. Is Bendis afraid of taking risks?
    He's taking what was basically a stereotypical nuclear family and changing their dynamics considerably. I think he's made it clear there's no actual separation between Lois and Clark just a different dynamic that allows for more independent storytelling for both (hopefully). I mean a good chunk of the readership thought they were on a break, when it's clear they aren't now. He took another fan favorite character and aged him 7 years? How is that playing it safe?

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    He's taking what was basically a stereotypical nuclear family and changing their dynamics considerably. I think he's made it clear there's no actual separation between Lois and Clark just a different dynamic that allows for more independent storytelling for both (hopefully). I mean a good chunk of the readership thought they were on a break, when it's clear they aren't now. He took another fan favorite character and aged him 7 years? How is that playing it safe?
    I'm just asking this because Superman is supposed to be the archetypical superhero, the superhero with the most recognizable status quo. At first, Bendis gave the impression that he wanted to shake the status quo but now it appears that whatever changes he is imposing will be minimal at best. Superboy's age increase seems to be aesthetical, at least for now, while Superman and Lois' marriage will be kept intact, they will just have separate plotlines. With Superman #7 released, I think the fans can rest easy, knowing the family dynamic will not be changed that much, except, of course, that Jor-El will be now a villain. I'm not saying this is a bad storytelling decision, it just doesn't seem to shake up the status quo or change the character dynamics that. I will give Bendis the benefit of the doubt and see how the story goes. After all, we are all Superman fans, we just see things differently.

Ok. I get that. I think in a sense he is somewhat bound by the fact that he's working with a major icon. But I can see that. To me, the family status quo is changing quite a bit and likely to change more once Jon settles back in. The question of what they are going to do with him in relation to the world thinking he was a normal 11 year old has to have some significant changes to their dynamics going forward.

And more macro level I think there are some significant changes to Suoerman's role in the DCU coming. I think that is what he's teasing with the next big status quo change coming.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Looks like the Jon's status may become more broadly known in the Levithan arc, Bendis was just asked who was going to tell Sam Lane about Jon's age up and he replied:
    I knew all of this still was in play.

Attachment 77056
    Holy crap! Why aren't more people talking about this!?

Like, for one, that means at the very, very least Sam Lane will know. I was hoping Bendis would get Lois' impossible to deal with dad to parallel Clark's as his run went on, so this is great news.

I'm telling you man, issue Lois and Jon being back seems to have opened the floodgates for story with Bendis. I had no idea Leviathan would have any affect on the Kent family. I hope this means Jon will poke his head in on Action in some make-shift civilian garb.

This also seems like it'll put Leviathan before Clark and Jon go after Jor-El.

Also Bendis confirms the much anticipated Jon and Damian reunion, AND the even more anticipated Clark, Kara, Jon, Conner and Lois family moment.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...45363468791811

@BRIANMBENDIS Are we going to see Jon reunite with Damian?
    Bendis: Of course! We’re going to see so much more! #zod #supergirl #adamstrange #greenlantern and connective threads that will make your head spin.
    And

@BRIANMBENDIs I just want a moment where Clark, Kara, Jon, Conner and Lois sit together for Kent family dinner..please brian!!
    Bendis: remember A WEEK AGO when that wasn't even a possibility? now its just one tiny part of all the exciting NEW things we have coming for the Superman Mishpucha @DCMishpucha
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

You know, I just had the thought: what if Bendis is planing on making Amanda Waller sort of Clark's Nick Fury? Not in the mentor sense, obviously, but rather Clark has a dubious government spy to interact with and lead to more story.

Because, I mean, Waller isn't a good person by any stretch of the imagination, but her deal is that she'll walk through the sh!t if it means the greatest good. I wanna get to the Amanda Waller that we had in the last season of JLU. The one who was both good enough to make sure the world always had a Batman, but messed up enough to clone him and nearly order the deaths of two good people.

Superman having to interact with someone like that would be interesting. Clark wading through moral gray that isn't his own could be fascinating especially when Action Comics is a down to Earth detective books in a lot of ways.

At the very least it'd be a nice change of pace from him wagging his finger at Batman lol

______

Clark telling Waller may also somehow play into the possible shift in dynamic with how the public see the Kents (the Superman is Jon's father theory). Like, their hand is forced and Waller sets it up via compiling all the gossip and rumors as some sort of out for the Kents rather than them going full public?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know, I just had the thought: what if Bendis is planing on making Amanda Waller sort of Clark's Nick Fury? Not in the mentor sense, obviously, but rather Clark has a dubious government spy to interact with and lead to more story.

Because, I mean, Waller isn't a good person by any stretch of the imagination, but her deal is that she'll walk through the sh!t if it means the greatest good. I wanna get to the Amanda Waller that we had in the last season of JLU. The one who was both good enough to make sure the world always had a Batman, but messed up enough to clone him and nearly order the deaths of two good people.

Superman having to interact with someone like that would be interesting. Clark wading through moral gray that isn't his own could be fascinating especially when Action Comics is a down to Earth detective books in a lot of ways.

At the very least it'd be a nice change of pace from him wagging his finger at Batman lol

______

Clark telling Waller may also somehow play into the possible shift in dynamic with how the public see the Kents (the Superman is Jon's father theory). Like, their hand is forced and Waller sets it up via compiling all the gossip and rumors as some sort of out for the Kents rather than them going full public?
    I was thinking more that'd she be his Maria Hill: someone in authority who could criticize his actions.

I assumed Waller would have some role to play in the anticipated secret identity mess. I mean, if anyone in the DCU could help them navigate this she would be the person. It'll be interesting to see the context that he ends up revealing himself to her in Action. Since this is all building towards Leviathan though, it'll be interesting to see what role, if any, she has in the DCU secret spy community coming out of that.

You're right, Hill is a much better comparison. In fact, once she learns that the most powerful and, arguably, important being in the world spends most of his day working a 9 to 5, I wonder what she'll have to say to him about it.

This could be yet another person (MM, Jor-El, Melody in issue 1001 to an extent, and the mayor in issue 1006) telling Clark he could and maybe should be doing more/why does he focus on the small stuff, but since it'll be framed as Waller thinking his choice to walk as a human is silly (and him sweating the small stuff being silly), Clark won't listen.

But, ya know, Lois is also very much in this story, and if Yoda's fantastic theory turns out to be true this could be the start of the debate.....
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You're right, Hill is a much better comparison. In fact, once she learns that the most powerful and, arguably, important being in the world spends most of his day working a 9 to 5, I wonder what she'll have to say to him about it.

This could be yet another person (MM, Jor-El, Melody in issue 1001 to an extent, and the mayor in issue 1006) telling Clark he could and maybe should be doing more/why does he focus on the small stuff, but since it'll be framed as Waller thinking his choice to walk as a human is silly (and him sweating the small stuff being silly), Clark won't listen.

But, ya know, Lois is also very much in this story, and if Yoda's fantastic theory turns out to be true this could be the start of the debate.....
    I'm wondering if Waller will be used to point out the small hypocrisies that Clark has, like the whole "reporting on himself breaking journalism ethics" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I liked Jurgens run, it was able to use the family without making it all about the family, which was nice. It had a nice mystery to it with the fake Clark (way more interesting than this Krypton conspiracy crap) in its first half, and the back half was consistently solid with the revenge squad, Oz effect and Booster Gold arc. Plus I’ll take Henshaw and Doomsday over Rogol Zarr any day.
    And that right there is the difference between those who dislike the Bendis runs and those who don’t. I’m sorry but Doomsday and Henshaw are painfully dull to me, as uninteresting as Rogal is to you. I’ll admit Rogal has done nothing to make me love him, but I am kind of curious what his deal is and he’s not just a mindless brute or yet another evil Superman clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And that right there is the difference between those who dislike the Bendis runs and those who don’t.
    People who like memorable characters and powerhouses that are retooled and reused time and again vs people who someone who will likely never appear beyond the work of his creator?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    People who like memorable characters and powerhouses that are retooled and reused time and again vs people who someone who will likely never appear beyond the work of his creator?
    Still, it's better to add to Superman's rogue than to keep rehashing old foes we've seen him defeat countless times already. Rogol Zaar is still rather bland but I too am interested in his story, whether it's legit or his made it all up to justify his war against all of Krypton. He says it's justice but it's vengeance over a personal past hurt and I am curious. Whether someone else uses him beyond Bendis is irrelevant at this point.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And that right there is the difference between those who dislike the Bendis runs and those who don’t. I’m sorry but Doomsday and Henshaw are painfully dull to me, as uninteresting as Rogal is to you. I’ll admit Rogal has done nothing to make me love him, but I am kind of curious what his deal is and he’s not just a mindless brute or yet another evil Superman clone.
    Look, if you like Rogol, that's fine. Preference towards a character is entirely subjective. The problem many fans have with Rogol is that the most thing interesting about him, perhaps the only interesting thing about him, is the mystery surrounding the character. People want to know Rogol's origin, they don't seem very interested in his future within the Superman saga. That's the same thing that happened with Rey in the new Star Wars movies. People were more interested in getting answers about the characters than about just about the characters themselves.

And that's the biggest problem with Rogol in the current Superman comics. The mystery around him was more intriguing than anything else. We didn't like the character, we instead became more interested in a mystery. I mean, I don't know that people cared so much about what the next part of Rogol's story would be as much as they care about where did he come from. Rogol as a character doesn't seem all that interesting; he combines traits from past villains with connections with Krypton, like General Zod, Brainiac and Doomsday. We only care about Rogol's connection with Krypton and, on his own, he doesn't have the same staying power, popularity or longevity as Superman's other enemies.