Page 34 of 613 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134534 ... LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Haven't heard either of these at all. I particularly can't even remotely imagine the latter happening at the moment - if DC was going to piss off Tynion by snatching Detective out from under him right before #1000, it would be because a HUGE name came knocking.
    The latter is just a rumor someone posted on the Batman section here. I've no idea if its true or not but Tomasi has written other Batman books before so I wouldn't be surprised if he got the call to be honest. As for Tynion staying on Detective until its #1000 there's no guarantee that he will be staying until then however much he might want to. Its still a good year or maybe two away depending on whether it keeps getting the twice a month treatment and Snyder is moving on to the JL so it could be that Tynion follows him onto some other JL related book.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Haven't heard either of these at all. I particularly can't even remotely imagine the latter happening at the moment - if DC was going to piss off Tynion by snatching Detective out from under him right before #1000, it would be because a HUGE name came knocking.
    Well the rumor comes from bleeding cool. And my guess that I made in the thread in the batman sub forum is that Tynion is possible leaving because of the events in the latest arc with batwoman killing clayface and the tensions between her and tim drake. I could see it ending with the book splitting off into gotham knights with tim drake and the colony with batwoman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    The thing is he needs some play in Superman books as well. I don't think its a good idea to have your young characters to disconnected from the main family of titles though because then you lose this opportunity for family interactions on some kind of regular basis. While Damian's getting lots of play outside of Batman's core books people still want to see him back in them regularly anyway because Bruce is his father and they just don't have much interaction in those titles. I think the same applies to Jon, especially since he's younger.
    Given that Bendis is doing a whole book devoted to Clark Kent, his personal life, Metropolis, and his work, I can't imagine we just straight up wont see him in there. I'm just guessing he'll be more of a supporting character than a main focus. But even then, I'm pretty sure Bendis will write him in both Action and Superman from time to time because he's a fan of writing younger characters when he gets the chance. Don't see much wrong with that if either Super Sons is gonna still be going on, Jon gets a book of his own, or all of the above.

A Superboy book though would be pushing it I think. Somehow, I rather suspect that fans of Conner Kent wouldn't be happy with that especially if DC intends to have him return at some point soon.
    DC has yet to actually call Conner Kent "Superboy" even since they remembered he was a thing, so I'm guessing they're not trying to use that name for him anymore. They'll likely use the famous "Don't call me Superboy" line as character justification. But ultimately I think Conner's actually going to have more to do with No Justice and Detective comics than Superman. He, Tim, Bart, and Casandra are becoming a Young Justice characters more so than Superman, Batman, Flash, or Wonder Woman characters. So the Superboy name isn't really all that needed for him being a thing.

So Jon getting the book wouldn't be all that hard if they wanted.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think he'll just disappear though. He'll surely be seen. Action for sure considering how that title is described. Its just he'll have to share the stage with the rest of the supporting cast. We just won't see one of the books consistently revolve around him like Superman did under Tomasi/Gleason. That's the impression I'm getting. I've said this before but I'm thinking of a bit like how they handled Matrix when she was a supporting cast member in the books before she got her own solo. I think that's a more than reasonable role for a supporting character in a Superman book while also taking into consideration he has a co-starring credit in at least one other book, and quite possibly another if he permanently joins TT or is put on another team. Which I think is well within the realm of possibility as well. Throwing in the OGN, that's just even more exposure. In terms of exposure there's absolutely no loss, if anything there's a gain, and there's nothing saying Clark and Lois can't guest often in any of those titles to get more family-oriented storytelling.

For the main books though, to me, Lois is the only character that you can justify routinely having as large a role as Superman in his own books. And even then Superman should edge her out. But she alone has the cred and the fandom to be right there. Beyond that? Maybe I'm just overly stubborn but I'm not having it with anyone else. Routinely being the key word. I'm all for once in a while stuff where Superman may give way to a supporting character in a stand-alone tale in an issue. Never had a problem with those types of issues.
    Well, I didn't expect Damian to completely disappear from the Bat books either but he did. It wasn't so bothersome when he was interacting with his father in other Bat titles but it became a problem when those titles were cancelled or ended so I'd really hate the same thing to happen here with Jon. I hope you're correct about how future appearances by Jon will be handled by Bendis.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

I guess it depends on the writer. King apparently just has no use for Damian, at least in the present. Maybe that'll change in the future after the wedding saga, who knows. We can only see what Bendis's approach is. Is it just "let's tone it down" or is it "I've got no time for this"? My impression is the former, but we can only wait.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

King was also coming off of Snyder who I don't think ever used Damian once. With the popularity of Superman having a family, that being part of Clark's home life, and us getting a book more focused on Clark, I'd say he's in pretty good shape to still be around in at least one of the main books.

Don't know if you've read any of Bendis' books where he uses child or teenage characters but he usually run the two extremes of being very strong or being very awkward, but last I read, it was the former, so there's that to look forward to I suppose.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Given that Bendis is doing a whole book devoted to Clark Kent, his personal life, Metropolis, and his work, I can't imagine we just straight up wont see him in there. I'm just guessing he'll be more of a supporting character than a main focus. But even then, I'm pretty sure Bendis will write him in both Action and Superman from time to time because he's a fan of writing younger characters when he gets the chance. Don't see much wrong with that if either Super Sons is gonna still be going on, Jon gets a book of his own, or all of the above.
    If Action is supposed to focus on Clark's life overall and Superman is for everything else then I would expect Jon to be a more regularly appearing character in the former and a time to time one in the latter. In other words he'd get a bit more focus in Action then he would in Superman. I'm just not convinced that's what Bendis will do when it comes down to it. If Jon has other outlets and especially if they did turn around and do some book that solely concentrates on Clark, Lois and Jon it wouldn't bother me either. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.

DC has yet to actually call Conner Kent "Superboy" even since they remembered he was a thing, so I'm guessing they're not trying to use that name for him anymore. They'll likely use the famous "Don't call me Superboy" line as character justification. But ultimately I think Conner's actually going to have more to do with No Justice and Detective comics than Superman. He, Tim, Bart, and Casandra are becoming a Young Justice characters more so than Superman, Batman, Flash, or Wonder Woman characters. So the Superboy name isn't really all that needed for him being a thing.

So Jon getting the book wouldn't be all that hard if they wanted.
    DC might not be associating Conner with the Superboy name but fans do make that association. Does anyone know what fans of Conner Kent think of Jon using the Superboy name like he is now? I must admit my ignorance there. I've not been paying a lot of of attention to Conner at all since that mess during the N52.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    If Action is supposed to focus on Clark's life overall and Superman is for everything else then I would expect Jon to be a more regularly appearing character in the former and a time to time one in the latter. In other words he'd get a bit more focus in Action then he would in Superman. I'm just not convinced that's what Bendis will do when it comes down to it. If Jon has other outlets and especially if they did turn around and do some book that solely concentrates on Clark, Lois and Jon it wouldn't bother me either. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.
    Well "focus" might be the wrong word. I'm guessing it'll be more like a regular appearance and interaction. But story focus will likely get scaled back significantly if that's what you're talking about.

DC might not be associating Conner with the Superboy name but fans do make that association. Does anyone know what fans of Conner Kent think of Jon using the Superboy name like he is now? I must admit my ignorance there. I've not been paying a lot of of attention to Conner at all since that mess during the N52.
    Conner fans (myself included) just want the character back regardless of his super name. You can find some animosity here and there, but I doubt DC takes them as the standard or any sort of ward to keep them from keeping Jon as Superboy. I'm guessing it's all pretty similar to Damian and Tim. You basically move the former character onto the team book that has the show with the cult following linked to it.

I was thinking about Bendis Daredevil run, those early issues narrated by Ben Urich and some others also from hi point of view later on. It would be really cool if Bendis adopted that style to Action Comics, maybe alternating some issues being narrated as if Clark was writing a article other as if was Lois and even a few by someone else from the Daily Planet staff.

This could be a nice way to flash out Clark's world and his supporting cast.

Bite Your Head Off, Man Deathscythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I was thinking about Bendis Daredevil run, those early issues narrated by Ben Urich and some others also from hi point of view later on. It would be really cool if Bendis adopted that style to Action Comics, maybe alternating some issues being narrated as if Clark was writing a article other as if was Lois and even a few by someone else from the Daily Planet staff.

This could be a nice way to flash out Clark's world and his supporting cast.
    Various writers have used that technique through the years in Superman books, and it's been far too long since we've seen in. Great suggestion!

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Having a villain be responsible for the death of Krypton in and of itself doesn't necessarily contradict SO so my guess is MOS may actually spend more time focusing on the "how we got here" aspect. The birth of Jon, what happened to the Kents, whatever his role with the Legion may be, his history with the League, how he and Lois got together. Stuff SO doesn't cover. The "new" origin may not be so much new as it may just cover a small fraction of the book in comparison to the other stuff. They could just be tacking this onto SO.
    Which would be fine. Nobody has to read SECRET ORIGIN but Bendis shouldn't overtly contradict it either. If he wants to "fill in the gaps" as well as reintroduce Black Zero (or whatever) as the destroyer of Krypton, OK, cool.

I long for the old days where no new reader was required to read The Official Canonical Origin Story. If you wanted to read the Superman titles you could read ACTION COMICS #500, which went over everything that was canonical at the time (from the Mort Weisinger years onward), but you didn't have to read it in order to "jump on" with, say, ACTION COMICS #501.

I suspect that by the end of DOOMSDAY CLOCK we'll find out that the Kents dying during Clark's prom is a false memory, that Pa Kent died as he died at the end of the "Brainiac" story in 2008(?) and Ma Kent died later (maybe because of a drunken driver?). And Lois and young Jon did know both of them and miss them.

That would be a "gift" from Dr. Manhattan to Superman, I suppose. I'd like Jon to remember his grandparents.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Besides the money, I think that DC giving Bendis his on imprint to run was what convinced him. He will have almost total authority over 3 or 4 comics, he would be able to bring in creators and guide them, for more freedom he had on Marvel they never made him the CCO of his own corner there. As for how long this was planed, I don't think this was set a long time ago, but I doubt DC is throwing away anything that was already written.
    I'm more interested in who sold him on jumping ship from Marvel to DC. Besides, as you said, the money and offer of his own imprint, it must have been one hell of a sales pitch. Also, how long had negotiations been going on behind the scenes? But to be given the Superman franchise on a platter? It is a deal too good for Bendis to pass up.

Maybe we are just looking for things that aren't there. He may have just wanted a change.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 02-05-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Not really a huge Bendis fan but i don't hate him either. Currently I'd prefer him to Jurgens. Putting Jon on the back burner is good.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

BANNED

I never expected every Superman writer to use Jon. His situation is not comparable to Damian's as Robin is much bigger. A reduced role or even ignoring him altogether was always a possibility.

Problem here is that Jon was a great modern attempt by Super creators to tap in to the kiddie audience. Jon was just perfect in that regard on every level. From his concept down to the execution. It was a rare lightning strikes scenario. Even Jon haters will have to acknowledge that.
    Bendis on the other hand is very likely to try to tap in to that same fanbase. For that purpose he will create an obnoxious new character wrapped up in his personal social agenda who may or may not succeed but is likely to infuriate Superman fans all the while ignoring Jon which will drive away established fans ftom the same base Bendis will potentially try to tap.

It all depends on what type of stories Bendis is trying to tell. If he writes mature adult stories then sacrificing Jon seems reasonable.
    If he goes for the same type of stories that Tomasi and Jurgens were telling except with his personal pet(s) then that is a problem.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    I long for the old days where no new reader was required to read The Official Canonical Origin Story. If you wanted to read the Superman titles you could read ACTION COMICS #500, which went over everything that was canonical at the time (from the Mort Weisinger years onward), but you didn't have to read it in order to "jump on" with, say, ACTION COMICS #501.
    oh 100% man. The best thing Bendis could do is just hit the ground running wuth some traditional Superman action.

suspect that by the end of DOOMSDAY CLOCK we'll find out that the Kents dying during Clark's prom is a false memory
    totally fine if that happens. Or if its not overtly mentioned I'll just assume it never happened lol.
    Pa Kent died as he died at the end of the "Brainiac" story in 2008(?) and Ma Kent died later (maybe because of a drunken driver?).
    Id prefer if they just went back to the pre-flashpoint status quo straight up. Ideally though I'd prefer the pre-crisis status quo to at least mostly return with Kent's dead pre-Superman, restore the legion Etc.
    Last edited by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes; 02-06-2018 at 03:54 AM.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying