Page 344 of 613 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And I really dug Jon's opening up scene here too. I don't think Jon has ever verbalized the enormous amount of pressure he must feel being who he is. That's probably why not getting a pot on the Teen Titans, or having the possibility of growing up to be a murderous Superman hit him hard in the long run. The idea of Superman's kid not being good enough, or the idea of Superman's kid killing a bunch of people and besmirching the legacy forever. That's probably why he clings to the Superboy name with such passion, I'm guessing. As long as he's Superboy he doesn't have to deal with the full weight of the legacy. This is also a pretty good reason why he can't talk to his dad about it. Clark being Clark, would likely downplay his importance from the astronomical height it's at for everyone that's not him.
    This is exactly why i feel Jon would take "the superman" mantle this run. And i am not saying he is going to replace Clark. He will be the other one. I feel Bendis is playing it safe with Jor el and Jon relation. Hey! That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This is also a pretty good reason why he can't talk to his dad about it. Clark being Clark, would likely downplay his importance from the astronomical height it's at for everyone that's not him.
    I'm going to put this in the column supporting my Book/Lois theory. It fits in with that whole notion that Clark doesn't like to see himself as the rest of the world or universe does and needs these outside pushes to get him to confront this stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I just realised something Jor el tells Jon the exact opposite message of what pa kent tells to teen Clark in "superman the movie"."you are here for a reason"

EDit- Jor el tells him there is no reason/answers. While, pa kent tells him there is a reason.Even if He might not know it, or whose is it.it was upto clark to find it.
    Like he said he's alive when he shouldn't be. It's as though nothing makes sense anymore. Before Krypton blew up, he likely had a clearer view of the world around him. He was a scientist and now he's sort of lost. For the first time he has no answers and honestly that is a scary place to be. Jonathan Kent, despite his limited knowledge, made sense of the life he knew and imparted that to Clark. This Jor-El is nowhere near being that sure of anything to offer anything worthwhile to anybody let alone a ten year old.

If this trip in space was a family affair, including Clark, I wonder how it would have played out, knowing how adrift Jor-El actually feels. I expected Jor-El to be shady based on Jon's words but this seems a little more mild than that. And now I have no idea where this is going and since Bendis has been tweeting using the Superfamily hashtag of late, this looks to be more an emotional journey much more than anything else especially when coupled with the Lois/Sam conversation from Action. I think Bendis is leaving all the big action for the actual villains in the story (Rogan Zaar, Crime syndicate, Invisible mafia, Leviathan) and I suspect that he intends to reintegrate Jor and Sam completely into the Superfamily and not have them in antagonistic roles to their children's family. Something I highly favour. I don't want Jor written as a villain and Sam needs to start batting on Superman's side finally.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is exactly why i feel Jon would take "the superman" mantle this run. And i am not saying he is going to replace Clark. He will be the other one.
    Yeah, I'd say there's a very good chance of this going down. I've been saying that it's very unlikely that Jon will keep his identity a secret after this, and I'm just about 90% sure he's gonna go by Jon Kent The Superman publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm going to put this in the column supporting my Book/Lois theory. It fits in with that whole notion that Clark doesn't like to see himself as the rest of the world or universe does and needs these outside pushes to get him to confront this stuff.
    Oh yeah, without a doubt. And in this intense it made it basically impossible for his son to talk to him about how that affects what he will and won't have to live up to.

These are the sorts of questions that I feel have only ever been hinted at or ignored when it comes to the legit son of Superman being in continuity.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-11-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Jon feeling the pressure of "the superman" mantle of his father is something very reasonable and does work with his previous characterisation.since,admired it for so long . "My dad is superman". That admiration can turn into pressure. Especially, after he got rejected.
    On other hand, i also felt a "boruto" and "my hero" vibe reading this. So, i guess Jon's anime-esque parallel/tone are still there. Even if this is unintentional by Bendis.But, i have it also feels like a little bit of a cliché.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Minor nitpick: Jon describing himself as half Metropolis feels a little odd since he wasn't born there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Minor nitpick: Jon describing himself as half Metropolis feels a little odd since he wasn't born there.
    It's odd but then he does live there so it's not exactly inaccurate.

It's kinda murky. He technically grew up in Hamilton didn't he, but the fact is his parents still worked in Metropolis and he likely spent a significant amount of time there. But at the same time a kid would likely want to identify with a big city versus being a farm kid.

I went to school in New York and there's a whole running joke about how kids will say they are from "the City" meaning NYC when they grew up in like Connecticut, New Jersey, or Long Island.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Anyone else notice a few things about the the last panel with older Jon?

- It's Reis, and it's older Jon, so we know it's the present.

- Seems they've moved the conversation from out in the open to somewhere hi-tech (the Fortress? Jon's ship?)

- Jon uses more of his alien slang and I love it! "Lortgin" lol

- If I had to guess where they are, I'd say they're likely in the Fortress where Clark is running test on Jon (Bendis posted something that looked like it on the 10th slide here https://www.instagram.com/p/BsIxGJ5nZ9k/)
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It's odd but then he does live there so it's not exactly inaccurate.
    He does but we haven't seen him integrate with the city enough, except for the school. He shouldn't feel like Metropolis is hometown this early . It is similar to Clark always calling Smallville home. It would have been cool if Hamilton got a nod. oh! well.and jon wasn't the "i want to look cool" before other normal kids type.titans was the only exception.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-11-2019 at 12:13 PM.

It's kinda murky. He technically grew up in Hamilton didn't he, but the fact is his parents still worked in Metropolis and he likely spent a significant amount of time there. But at the same time a kid would likely want to identify with a big city versus being a farm kid.
    That kind of goes against his characterization, though. He was portrayed as being very resistant to moving from Hamilton, and was shown to dislike living there at first.

That kind of goes against his characterization, though. He was portrayed as being very resistant to moving from Hamilton, and was shown to dislike living there at first.
    Was he? I didn't recall that but it's been a while since I reread the tail end of those runs. I remember them showing up in Action and Superman in Metropolis frequently. I don't recall much resistance from Jon. But I definitely could be wrong.

Astonishing Member

He hated moving to Metropolis but he never hated living there. I think Jon has acclimated to life in Metropolis. There's less chores in that which surely hasn't gone unnoticed by the eleven year old, which will always be a plus even if he misses Hamilton. He doesn't need to hate Metropolis because Hamilton was his best home.

I do think it odd he described himself as a Metropolis kid but I don't find it incorrect because he's made a life in that city and as his current (last) home, he's acknowledging it as such. Compare that to Clark, Smallville has a deeper connection to him because he lived there until he was practically an adult and his value system is founded on being raised as a farmer in Smallville. Jon is still developing and that has been disrupted by the period he was lost in space. Metropolis was basically the last home he had before living in space.

Was he? I didn't recall that but it's been a while since I reread the tail end of those runs. I remember them showing up in Action and Superman in Metropolis frequently. I don't recall much resistance from Jon. But I definitely could be wrong.
    He was, but it was mainly in Super Sons, so that might've been why it didn't spring to mind. That whole moving period was also kind of strange chronologically

Does anyone know if Metropolis is a state or city? Is it like New York? Or is it in New York like in most movies seem to have it?

I ask because Hamilton County is said to be "upstate" in Jurgens' first issue of Action.

It's also super possible that Jon just says "metropolis kid" because that's where he lives now, and isn't specifically talking about where he was born (that would be the arctic circle) or raised.

We don't what jon feels about living in Metropolis though. He has been living in the county for years. And it has not even been months Since he has been living in Metropolis. It feels too quick of a change in mindset.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-11-2019 at 12:38 PM.