Page 35 of 613 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135535 ... LastLast
    Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    I never expected every Superman writer to use Jon. His situation is not comparable to Damian's as Robin is much bigger. A reduced role or even ignoring him altogether was always a possibility.
    I'd say even a likely possibility. I'd rather see Jon in the Super Sons book or possibily TT, or just any team book.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

The Superman title should go back to its original numbering. Actually the more news I hear about this the less excited I am about Bendis on Superman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    As with most rumor and gossip, it's a mixed bag. Bleeding Cool has certainly had its fair share of legit scoops, but those scoops are outweighed by a fair amount of clickbait garbage that has no basis in reality.

However, I will give Bleeding Cool credit for being one of the few comics websites that was willing to call out Eddie Berganza on his long history of sexual harassment while most willingly ignored it for fear of DC blacklisting them.
    Not everything comes out in the wash. But we generally bat a lot better than that!

And DC already blacklisted us. I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    The Superman title should go back to its original numbering.
    Actually, "original numbering" is already a strange concept for that title because it went from issue #1 - 423; then became Adventures of Superman for #424 - 649 while DC launched a new comic book with the "Superman" title; then with issue #650 - 714 it was back to just Superman.
    So, to get to the "current" "original numbering", you'd have to add the 52 issues published under the New 52/DCYou plus however many issues were published after the Rebirth series began. (I think that would be the correct way to do it.)
    So, would that be issue #812 maybe?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, "original numbering" is already a strange concept for that title because it went from issue #1 - 423; then became Adventures of Superman for #424 - 649 while DC launched a new comic book with the "Superman" title; then with issue #650 - 714 it was back to just Superman.
    So, to get to the "current" "original numbering", you'd have to add the 52 issues published under the New 52/DCYou plus however many issues were published after the Rebirth series began. (I think that would be the correct way to do it.)
    Yep. It's original->AOS->restored original->New 52->Rebirth. The Rebirth #34 would have been Superman #800 with consecutive numbering, which is why it got the variant cover marking it as such.

Astonishing Member

My Superman was post-COIE. Having picked up my first issue back in 1991 as a kid. So my personal head canon goes Superman Vol 2. it then renumbered to reflect what the original title would have been at if it had continued. Then I follow it up with the convergence and Lois and Clark mini-series. After that, i go straight into the Rebirth stuff.

But yeah, renumbering most titles would just cause a headache. Batman could get away with it. Purely because he hasn't had the same continuity shifts. Flash has had Jay, Barry, Wally, Bart, Wally and back to Barry again. It isn't like DC didn't recognize the milestones. You had the alternative covers and each issue acknowledged that it was "issue so and so." The only downside is that those variants weren't anything special.

Looks good to me. Leaving out all the Byrne era Superman vol 2.

It just feels weird with Action\detective having their proper numbers. But most books still have the Didio numbering. Dc needs a Marvel Legacy type renumbering across the line IMO

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Looks good to me. Leaving out all the Byrne era Superman vol 2.

It just feels weird with Action\detective having their proper numbers. But most books still have the Didio numbering. Dc needs a Marvel Legacy type renumbering across the line IMO
    I'm actually surprised that DC is opting for a new #1* when Bendis takes over Superman instead of restoring the legacy numbering to it and all the other titles that apply. It also makes me curious as to whether or not the same will apply when other titles not named Action or Detective change hands.

(*Yes, I know a new number one will do big numbers sales-wise by virtue of it being a #1 but since it's Bendis they'll likely be getting big sales anyway so why not return to the legacy numbering at the same time and really hype it. Just saying...)
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm actually surprised that DC is opting for a new #1* when Bendis takes over Superman instead of restoring the legacy numbering to it and all the other titles that apply. It also makes me curious as to whether or not the same will apply when other titles not named Action or Detective change hands.
    Probably depends on how major the transition to a new creator is. Brian Bendis coming to DC and getting both Superman titles is HUGE; Robinson taking over Wonder Woman last year wasn't as big a deal.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Probably depends on how major the transition to a new creator is. Brian Bendis coming to DC and getting both Superman titles is HUGE; Robinson taking over Wonder Woman last year wasn't as big a deal.
    A case of the singer becoming more important than the song. This is bad for superhero comics and has been for a long time.

What if you're a newcomer to superhero comics and you don't even really know who Bendis is? Why does Bendis deserve a SUPERMAN #1? Even John Byrne shouldn't have gotten a SUPERMAN #1.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well a new #1 is an easy and effective entry point for someone new to either Superman or comics as a whole. Coupling that with a new team, direction, and overall feel, you get a great place to start that doesn't require any real understanding of solicitations or comics news. You just see the big #1 on the cover and you jump in.

I've personally never cared one way or the other, but I think it's pretty reasonable to say that due to the level of interconnectivity that we're being presented with, and that we now expect from our superhero stories, it's not the worst idea in the world to utilize more effective ways of creating jumping on points for new readers. This isn't like back in the day where you could just jump into any Superman or Batman story because they were largely self contained.

I personally don't see the issue past personal feelings on comic tradition.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't need old numbers but the #1 craze is pretty bogus. It's nice to signify a clean break but we went from a restart once after 50 years to 3 restarts in seven years. After a while you exhaust the generational pool of new readers and really, a number like #812 is more convenient for regular readers than "Volume 4 #1." And yet switching back is a mess, the worst being AoS back to Superman after volume two ended.

I think keeping Action at traditional numbers is the best compromise. As forerunner of the whole genre, that's the one title I think should always stay traditional.

I think there's a case to be made for excessive relaunching hurting the comic industry, but I guess I'm not surprised to see DC relaunching Superman (and just Superman) for Bendis' run.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm not usually one for slapping the number 1 on a book every time a new creative team comes along. I don't see it as necessary.

However I do understand the desire to distance this from the previous runs of the book and to offer fans a firm beginning to what Bendis is working on.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

To be totally honest with you, I wouldn't at all mind it if they made it so every significant run has its own #1. Leave the real number somewhere on the cover (smaller than the number one for obvious reasons) for the old heads and posterity sake.

We could then stop thinking of it as relaunching.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.