Page 364 of 613 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374414464 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 9194

I don't know how that'd be any more of an issue than there being space or alien based stories now that don't involve the Green Lanterns. This is supposed to be the beginning of the United Planets. I think the point is going to be that there needs to be some space based body to solve these problems, because Superman swooping in to try to like Jor El and Jon have been attempting to doesn't necessarily work. It's a diplomatic body, not the Space JLA.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RudHao View Post
    I don't think any kind of United Planets angle with Superman representing the earth to the rest of the universe can stick long term. That would really saddle future Green Lantern writers with unnecessary baggage. Presumably the main character in a green lantern book would be from Earth and eventually lots of space related shenanigans that involve Earth and aliens and intergalactic politics will come up for said protagonist to deal with, are they going to have to hand wave away "Superman the representative of earth to the rest of the universe" away every single time to explain why Superman doesnt swoop in and solve this problem that would definitely be his bussiness. "Superman's busy" is going to get old eventually.

Come on.
    Not really.

That's like saying every time Superman wants to save, fight, or investigate something or someone out in space he has to run it by a GL or we have to explain why a GL didn't take care of it. But they don't do that unless they want to, and they most certainly don't have to. Why isn't Hal, John, Guy, Jessica, Simon, or Kyle stopping Mongul, Brianiac, Lobo, or whoever that Superman has to regularly take care of? The simple and far less sexy answer? It's not their story. And it won't be his story if a GL has to get into some space politics. Quick lip service? A cameo? An acknowledgement of whatever the new status quo is? Sure. Other heroes in space to it all the time for GLs even when GLs have nothing to do with the story.

It's legitimately not that big an issue. I mean, in general most heroes we read live in a state of "why didn't Superman help to stop this?" especially when it's one of those end of the world deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's a diplomatic body, not the Space JLA.
    This is a very good point.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-27-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

So it appears people acting "off" in some DC titles...is deliberate. The conclusion of this week's Flash reveals Batman seems to know who's behind it in the future.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02...h-65-spoilers/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    So it appears people acting "off" in some DC titles...is deliberate. The conclusion of this week's Flash reveals Batman seems to know who's behind it in the future.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02...h-65-spoilers/
    I wonder who he could be talking about. Probably the Batman Who Laughs. Fits with the Multiverse component to this and he was shown to be a manipulator in Metal. I have a hard time believing that he'd be able to "turn" any heroes against Batman and Superman. Maybe Psycho Pirate or even Bane expanding their roles.

Noticed this connection with the last page of AC 1006 and Doomsday Clock #8.

Robinson Goode wants Lois' office in AC 1006.

Lois doesn't have her office in Doomsday Clock #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Not really.

That's like saying every time Superman wants to save, fight, or investigate something or someone out in space he has to run it by a GL or we have to explain why a GL didn't take care of it. But they don't do that unless they want to, and they most certainly don't have to. Why isn't Hal, John, Guy, Jessica, Simon, or Kyle stopping Mongul, Brianiac, Lobo, or whoever that Superman has to regularly take care of? The simple and far less sexy answer? It's not their story. And it won't be his story if a GL has to get into some space politics. Quick lip service? A cameo? An acknowledgement of whatever the new status quo is? Sure. Other heroes in space to it all the time for GLs even when GLs have nothing to do with the story.

It's legitimately not that big an issue. I mean, in general most heroes we read live in a state of "why didn't Superman help to stop this?" especially when it's one of those end of the world deals.
    Also worth considering that one of the Guardian's was part of The Circle that was working with Rogol Zaar. Supergirl is working to expose that conspiracy and she's going to tie back into all this before it ends. So the GLC's might lose some of its legitimacy as peacekeepers after all these events come to light making more room for another more representative governing body to step in.

Also worth considering that one of the Guardian's was part of The Circle that was working with Rogol Zaar. Supergirl is working to expose that conspiracy and she's going to tie back into all this before it ends. So the GLC's might lose some of its legitimacy as peacekeepers after all these events come to light making more room for another more representative governing body to step in.
    If that ends up being the case, I hope we finally get a new GLC book to showcase the space GL's dealing with the aftermath of that and building back up the Corps. reputation.

It would give a home to the currently missing Earth GL's as well (or the ones who will probably go back into limbo once the books they currently have end, like Kyle).

That's true. By the 31st century I'm pretty sure GLs are even banned from Earth for some reason. Not saying that this is at all related, but just illustrating that GL authority and legitimacy won't always be recognized. Depending on how sustainable Bendis sets up Superman's position, I think there's a whole lot to play with for years to come. So many ways to move Superman's story. It would also be among the biggest shift in Superman history (like the solicit says). Similar to telling Lois the secret, marrying her, dying, and having Jon, it's a quantum leap that's built on the back of some long established and largely arbitrary Superman "rule" being broken. He can't tell Lois or something bad will happen, he can't marry her or anyone for that matter, he can't possible die, he can't have kids with a human, and now he can't directly affect the Earth's natural progression. This fits right in while, like all of the above changes, keeping him very much, well, Superman.

Side note and slightly off topic: I noticed that in today's issue Trish can be seen working on some sort of story linking Lois and Superman. Going strictly off what Trish's job is, what she's said before, and what her focus on anything dealing with Lois and Clark always comes down to, I'd say this is more hinting at the possible "step-dad Clark" thing. Honestly, now that I think about it, Bendis seems to be handling Trish similar to how he handled Jimmy. He spreads the bread crumbs of a subplot in the background throughout the issues till he's ready to spring it on us. I think she's gonna break the story, and I think Clark, Lois, and Jon are gonna come up with the "step dad Clark" angle to combat it, and explain Jon. Couple that with Superman getting into intergalactic politics on Earth's behalf, and I think Bendis is setting the Superman family up as the DCU's "First Family."

What I'm really hoping for now is that Bendis does a whole talking issue where he has Lois, Clark, Jon, and Superman (in actuality it's either Martian Manhunter or a robot) get live interviewed by Trish, and they do a "tell all" introducing their blended family to the DCU and us.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Side note and slightly off topic: I noticed that in today's issue Trish can be seen working on some sort of story linking Lois and Superman. Going strictly off what Trish's job is, what she's said before, and what her focus on anything dealing with Lois and Clark always comes down to, I'd say this is more hinting at the possible "step-dad Clark" thing. Honestly, now that I think about it, Bendis seems to be handling Trish similar to how he handled Jimmy. He spreads the bread crumbs of a subplot in the background throughout the issues till he's ready to spring it on us. I think she's gonna break the story, and I think Clark, Lois, and Jon are gonna come up with the "step dad Clark" angle to combat it, and explain Jon. Couple that with Superman getting into intergalactic politics on Earth's behalf, and I think Bendis is setting the Superman family up as the DCU's "First Family."

What I'm really hoping for now is that Bendis does a whole talking issue where he has Lois, Clark, Jon, and Superman (in actuality it's either Martian Manhunter or a robot) get live interviewed by Trish, and they do a "tell all" introducing their blended family to the DCU and us.
    Definitely. It's just a matter of when that shoe drops and how its going to be handled between the three books. Not a crossover, but like parallel stories hitting it from different POV's. Depending on how Leviathan runs it could be the next arc in Action. I would expect Jon, Clark, and Lois come to some sort of agreement on what needs to be done preemptively in Superman. With the rollout and fallout to be handled in Action Comics (Trish's story from Clark's POV) and Lois Lane (Lois' and maybe Sam's POV ).

If Sam survives he could also play a role in helping set everything up.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-27-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Definitely. It's just a matter of when that shoe drops and how its going to be handled between the three books. Not a crossover, but like parallel stories hitting it from different POV's. Depending on how Leviathan runs it could be the next arc in Action. I would expect Jon, Clark, and Lois come to some sort of agreement on what needs to be done preemptively in Superman. With the rollout and fallout to be handled in Action Comics (Trish's story from Clark's POV) and Lois Lane (Lois' and maybe Sam's POV ).

If Sam survives he could also play a role in helping set everything up.
    If I were betting, I'd say we see this whole thing roll around the same time Jon and Damian meet up again. That seems like around the time Bendis will be doing all of the housekeeping in terms of setting up all of the changes and plot lines he's cultivated in a sustainable way, and allowing preestablished stuff to bounce off of new stuff. That'll also give Rucka time so he can establish Lois' book on its own for few issues. I'm actually really excited for Trish in a strange way because, in-universe, this story goes up there with Lois' Superman interview, the Justice League forming, and Jimmy's picture of Superman dying.

I feel like Sam is in part being set up for Lois' book as well as general Superman use. He's so much more fascinating now than he's ever been. Grizzled old super-spy that would rather stick to classic spy tactics when he's able to it is something I never would've imagined would be the cure to Sam, but here I am.

I'm actually really excited for Trish in a strange way because, in-universe, this story goes up there with Lois' Superman interview, the Justice League forming, and Jimmy's picture of Superman dying.
    Do you think that's the way Bendis will play it though? Wouldn't having Trish break it, as opposed having the Superfamily preemptively expose it, essentially legitimize the irresponsible tabloid style reporting she does and put it on the same level as Lois' reporting? It'd be interesting to see if Bendis goes in that direction, acknowledging that that type of reporting does occasionally hit on the truth, but more by accident and without the level of responsibility or care that legitimate reporters like Lois put in.

I feel like Sam is in part being set up for Lois' book as well as general Superman use. He's so much more fascinating now than he's ever been. Grizzled old super-spy that would rather stick to classic spy tactics when he's able to it is something I never would've imagined would be the cure to Sam, but here I am.
    I agree. This may be one of the best uses of Sam Lane that I have ever read. His scene with Waller was fantastic. I hope his dynamic with the family can be explored and it seems obvious that once the dust settles there's going to be a need for a new way to handle his former work. I'm wondering of the Sam plotline will be set up for the initial arc of Lois' book with her attempts to rescue him as an initial Leviathan tied in plotline.

Do you think that's the way Bendis will play it though? Wouldn't having Trish break it, as opposed having the Superfamily preemptively expose it, essentially legitimize the irresponsible tabloid style reporting she does and put it on the same level as Lois' reporting? It'd be interesting to see if Bendis goes in that direction, acknowledging that that type of reporting does occasionally hit on the truth, but more by accident and without the level of responsibility or care that legitimate reporters like Lois put in.
    I don't think the commentary will be so cut and dry with Trish. I think it'll start off with Trish broaching the idea and getting ready to run with it, and Perry (it's his godson) having questions of his own when presented with the story, but then Clark and Lois will say, in classic Bendis cliffhanger fashion, "okay, we'll tell you everything." I don't think Bendis wants to make Trish an antagonist even when she may inadvertently present an speedbump. That said, I think due to what Superman will decide to do with the whole United Planets thing, and how people will take that and the "stepdad Clark" stuff, I think that's where Bendis'll get into the varying degrees of tabloid news as people shotgun the story around.

Even if maybe the idea ends up being that Clark comes up with the idea and goes to Trish who is already amassing he story, I think it'll say the same thing: that this form of journalism is a thing that's a around and needs to be mindfully navigated.

In terms of inherent importance on its own? Yeah, I think it would have to be as important as Lois' first story on Superman. Not a knock on Lois or her writing, but just an acknowledgment of the implications of the story. Just look at it this way: it's the proper first story and acknowledgment of the biological son of Superman, and the realization that Superman has successfully procreated with a human.

I'm wondering of the Sam plotline will be set up for the initial arc of Lois' book with her attempts to rescue him as an initial Leviathan tied in plotline.
    That's a very good point. Sam still missing after the event is through, they left their relationship in such a fragile state, and I'm sure part of the idea would be the question of if he's even still alive. That's fodder for a strong and personal opening storyline for a book.

I don't think the commentary will be so cut and dry with Trish. I think it'll start off with Trish broaching the idea and getting ready to run with it, and Perry (it's his godson) having questions of his own when presented with the story, but then Clark and Lois will say, in classic Bendis cliffhanger fashion, "okay, we'll tell you everything." I don't think Bendis wants to make Trish an antagonist even when she may inadvertently present an speedbump. That said, I think due to what Superman will decide to do with the whole United Planets thing, and how people will take that and the "stepdad Clark" stuff, I think that's where Bendis'll get into the varying degrees of tabloid news as people shotgun the story around.

Even if maybe the idea ends up being that Clark comes up with the idea and goes to Trish who is already amassing he story, I think it'll say the same thing: that this form of journalism is a thing that's a around and needs to be mindfully navigated.
    I forgot about Perry. We've already seen him put the breaks on Trish once. I wonder if he balks at this like you say and thinking he's going to declaw it like her Luthor story, Trish decides to run it on her own from the "Lois cheated on Clark with Superman" angle. That lets her break the story, but then allows Lois & Clark & "Superman" to step in an present the "truth" with modern family angle with Clark as stepdad. I keep coming back to the way Bendis characterized them as the modern first family of the DCU. And I can't see him legitimately presenting that through the lens of Lois having an affair with Superman for the new status quo.

I still have to think Superman saving Trish in the newsroom will have to play into things somehow. If she's not going to be an antagonist, Bendis can't really present her as tearing down Lois & Clark's life like this.

That's a very good point. Sam still missing after the event is through, they left their relationship in such a fragile state, and I'm sure part of the idea would be the question of if he's even still alive. That's fodder for a strong and personal opening storyline for a book.
    Yup. We need to remember that this storyline is the setup for Leviathan. So Sam may be MIA well into that event. Giving Lois that task of finding him, while Superman deals with the main Leviathan organization would work really well. I've said it many times but giving Lois parallel but not necessarily crossover storylines would be my ideal format for her book. Setting Sam's rescue and redemption in her book and having it play into Leviathan and then just keep that going with the narrative of Action Comics in general would be great from my POV.

BANNED

Yup. We need to remember that this storyline is the setup for Leviathan. So Sam may be MIA well into that event. Giving Lois that task of finding him, while Superman deals with the main Leviathan organization would work really well. I've said it many times but giving Lois parallel but not necessarily crossover storylines would be my ideal format for her book. Setting Sam's rescue and redemption in her book and having it play into Leviathan and then just keep that going with the narrative of Action Comics in general would be great from my POV.
    I like the idea of the Lois ongoing have the team dynamic between Lois and Sam...and it could lead to a globe-trotting arc that takes her out of the Superman "circle" for as long as it takes for the year of the villain to go.

I forgot about Perry. We've already seen him put the breaks on Trish once. I wonder if he balks at this like you say and thinking he's going to declaw it like her Luthor story, Trish decides to run it on her own from the "Lois cheated on Clark with Superman" angle. That lets her break the story, but then allows Lois & Clark & "Superman" to step in an present the "truth" with modern family angle with Clark as stepdad. I keep coming back to the way Bendis characterized them as the modern first family of the DCU. And I can't see him legitimately presenting that through the lens of Lois having an affair with Superman for the new status quo.
    I don't think he's going to roll it out with the idea that Lois cheated. However, I do think there's gonna be a moment where we take a beat, and Trish asks Lois if she ever has cheated on Clark with Superman. There's been too many assumptions about it in the book (the most direct being by Trish herself), it would be the question on everyone's lips, and during an issue full of just talking it would pack as much seat gripping suspense as a full on action scene. I really hope Perry is either a factor, or at least gets to have a second with Jon at some point.

All I know for sure is that I'm nearly 100% sure this blended family is coming to pass.

I still have to think Superman saving Trish in the newsroom will have to play into things somehow. If she's not going to be an antagonist, Bendis can't really present her as tearing down Lois & Clark's life like this.
    Maybe antagonist is the right word if we use it in the classic sense where it just means in knowing or unknowing opposition to the protagonist's goals. In that sense she's an antagonist in the same way that Silver age Lois was to Clark/Superman. The would regularly use words like "thwart" when describing how Superman alluded having his identity found out to make it clear that, at least in that specific context, Lois was Clark's antagonist. But we didn't know Lois as an antagonist the whole time, right? It was just in that specific context because we were in-the-know. That allowed her to perfectly sympathetic, likable, and heroic in her own right outside of the context of her goals that put her in opposition to our hero. Rounding this Silver age comparison out, if this turns out to be true then we'll also get the ol' "logical explanation" from our hero(es) to satisfy our curious reporter. However, since this isn't the Silver age, and things don't just reset, the Kents deal with the implications of their choice.

Based on what we've seen so far and what he's said about how he wants to use the spirit of old Silver age imaginary stories, I think Bendis is working along these lines in terms of how he's approaching Trish.

I'm hoping for largely that, whatever she's got cooking with the Question, and more on her book. As I've said before, I think the book and the more flexible format for the marriage were gifts to Ruka from Bendis. I mean, I'm sure you remember how often Bendis has evoked Ruka's name when talking about Lois in interviews. He even famously said that Ruka sat by his bedside talking Superman stuff while he was sick. I'm at the point where I fully believe Ruka signed off on all of Bendis Lois stuff knowing he'd be coming in eventually for a Lois book that's been heavily hinted at since Bendis was signed.