Page 37 of 613 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137537 ... LastLast

4402208-bendis+meme.jpg

Still an accurate meme of Bendis to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I think it's time to rethink the entire retail model. This would be a good first step. I'd also like it if they did more weekly series. Trying to sell a 12 year old potential customer (who knows nothing but binge watching full seasons upon release and total access to everything ever made, on their phone) on the idea that they get part one of a story now and the finale in six months to a year is nearly impossible. The attention span isn't there. But I digress.
    It sounds like we're of the same mind regarding the distribution model.

It is SO out-dated it makes me angry. How dare these people call themselves businessmen when they still produce their material like it's 1975?

I suspect there's some barrier that we're unaware of that is preventing them from updating their production, marketing, and distribution models. I mean, Im a business student with years of management experience behind me, but ultimately I'm still a student (so close to that degree though!). If I can see these problems, and others here can see them, you'd think that the professionals in the industry, with more business experience than I have, can see the problems much more clearly. Perhaps WB doesn't want to invest in a new system.....but if so, there are private donors who would help foot the bill, and odds are costs wouldn't actually have to change much, especially with same-day-digital already established.

But then....WB/DC are known for being messes, so.....maybe they really dont see any solutions.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It sounds like we're of the same mind regarding the distribution model.

It is SO out-dated it makes me angry. How dare these people call themselves businessmen when they still produce their material like it's 1975?
    I think it's a lot more advanced than it was in 1975, since back then comics here in the U.S. were sold on newsstands/spinner racks; they were still printed on newsprint; and the "direct market" (comic book shops) hadn't really come into existence the way they eventually would.

And there's also the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to consider. While we the consumers may feel it's in terrible shape, to what degree do companies like Marvel and DC agree with that assessment? And even if they do agree that changes are needed, what would be the cost and the risk factor involved? Would the companies be guaranteed a sufficient reward for investing in changes, or would it be like the "New Coke" debacle from back in the 1980s?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think it's a lot more advanced than it was in 1975, since back then comics here in the U.S. were sold on newsstands/spinner racks; they were still printed on newsprint; and the "direct market" (comic book shops) hadn't really come into existence the way they eventually would.
    Im being hyperbolic man, come on.

And there's also the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to consider. While we the consumers may feel it's in terrible shape, to what degree do companies like Marvel and DC agree with that assessment? And even if they do agree that changes are needed, what would be the cost and the risk factor involved? Would the companies be guaranteed a sufficient reward for investing in changes, or would it be like the "New Coke" debacle from back in the 1980s?
    I'd need access to data I don't have to make any kind of accurate declaration about the risk-reward ratio, to say nothing of other factors.

But I don't think there's any argument at all that the industry has been shrinking and suffering over the years. The last few have seen a nice improvement, but that's a relatively new development. This isn't what a healthy industry looks like.

EDIT: It is what a (somewhat) recovering industry looks like, which is good. All due credit to the publishers for that.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-09-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    4402208-bendis+meme.jpg

Still an accurate meme of Bendis to be honest.
    Hah! That's pretty good. That's actually what I like about Bendis though, he's not beholden to the ancient past and isn't afraid to mix things up. I never feel like he's catering to my father and I like that feeling.

There are some things that sound good about this, more emphasis on Clark's job is always welcomed and i trust Bendis to handle any down to earth interaction at least decently (still with problems, but readable and sometimes funny at least), but as i said before, he doesn't do cosmic stuff all that well, so i'm worried about the Super part, also i expect somw retcon on Clark's backstory becausw Bendis can't help himself, i just hope that is innofensive.

Hah! That's pretty good. That's actually what I like about Bendis though, he's not beholden to the ancient past and isn't afraid to mix things up. I never feel like he's catering to my father and I like that feeling.
    Unfortunately, for all I know, I might be closer to that same age group as your father, so I may not be liking that feeling!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, for all I know, I might be closer to that same age group as your father, so I may not be liking that feeling!
    Hah!.. Well I guess we've got the saying "comic fans only get upset for two reasons:when things change and when things stay the same" covered just between the two of us, huh?

I think it's a certainty Bendis will add to and evolve the mythos (or mess up a bunch of stuff you don't want changed, depending on your outlook)... Just have to wait and see what it will be. I don't see it being the Clark-Lois relationship, DC has spent so much time and energy untangling that issue that I think they are happy where it is. Especially with Jon being a pushed character going forward... I can't see Superman unmarried with a kid, even if it is due to divorce.

Other than that.. I think everything is on the table.

BANNED

It'd be pretty cool if he didn't totally **** on established canon to get his way, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    It'd be pretty cool if he didn't totally **** on established canon to get his way, though.
    I've never felt like that is the case. But i'm not protective of the status quo and don't consider myself a Continuity Cop. I understand that some fans don't like when things change and respect that, it's just not a feeling that I share. The only difference between a cool addition to the mythos and shitting on established canon is whether that particular person likes the idea or not.

Jesus Christ why?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In terms of the business model, I always felt like they should do it more like the old newspaper strips where there are elements that are carved in stone and it's not really a continuity but they do limited stories that end. To some degree they are doing this now but it's still pretty beholden to a long term continuity. Of course doing what I suggest would mean that some characters are never seen again after said story is over. Of course the most effective model is still the Archies method where each issue is a stand alone story and continuity is loose to the point of being non-existent. But this is also part of what killed the pre-Crisis Superman. On the plus side, this would also allow new creators, like Bendis, to try new things without any real long term damage.
    Assassinate Putin!

I've never felt like that is the case. But i'm not protective of the status quo and don't consider myself a Continuity Cop. I understand that some fans don't like when things change and respect that, it's just not a feeling that I share. The only difference between a cool addition to the mythos and shitting on established canon is whether that particular person likes the idea or not.
    I'm not into continuity at all. If he did a story that revealed Superman wasn't actually an alien but some sort of science experiment, I'd be cool with that. Turn it all upside down just tell a good story. The writing is what matters most to me.

BANNED

Not liking a writer having a character "forget" that she ever had any kids (quoted because it was never explained why she didn't remember them), while giving her an insanely huge powerboost while at the same time saying that this powerboost isn't caused by the source of power that has had consistent validation, and then leaving the mess for other writers to clean-up/retcon into reasoning isn't "being protective of the status quo", it's being mindful of the thought and creativity of the authors before you.

Everything Bendis did with the above character could have been done numerous other ways, with more care and concern for the continuity before his. Yet his method reeks of the "Eh, it's mine now" mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I'm not into continuity at all. If he did a story that revealed Superman wasn't actually an alien but some sort of science experiment, I'd be cool with that. Turn it all upside down just tell a good story. The writing is what matters most to me.
    Here's the kind of dialogue you can come to expect:

Last edited by Star_Jammer; 02-12-2018 at 09:53 PM.

BANNED

That looks awfully better than what the books have going on right now.