Page 374 of 613 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384424474 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Really? I see Bendis write him as a fall guy who has poor taste in girlfriends and is such a nervous wreck he has to crash in Lois and Clark's apartment and can't hold his nerve against Perry's ire.
    "Fall guy"? Anyways, he's a nervous wreck because it's been well established that he's been working solo on his story for weeks with little to no sleep. He's now just discovered an underground Kobra cell aka a cult-like terrorist group, and one of its members was a woman who seemed to show no signs of unsuitability, thus, mixed with his general lack of sleep from chase a story, he's suspicious of people around him.

And he's crashing at Lois and Clark's apartment because those are the only two people he trust without much question. Unlike the vast majority of writers, Bendis seemed to remember that Lois, Clark, and Jimmy are the best of friends, so when the Kents give Jimmy a warm and safe place to get some much needed rest, it should be looked at as a return to form, and a illustration of how much these people trust and care for one another.

This is a Jimmy Olsen that's finally looking recognizable and important in his own right again. You're welcome to your opinion of course, but I don't think it's indicative of what's being presented and said.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-04-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Jimmy in the New 52 was treated a lot like Lois was. A lot of lip service as to his role and importance and very little to actually show for it. A Matt Fraction Jimmy book is a pretty big deal.

Superwoman was cancelled long before Bendis came on and New Super-Man was selling 12000 copies and was at 123 before Bendis even signed on in October 2017, let alone his announced arrival. The most you can do is blame him for turning the next two arcs of Super Sons into a maxi series. But that's still Tomasi's and the sales keep dropping despite it continuing the same type of stories.

Comparing Jimmy and Lois to either of those books is probably a stretch as both had tenuous at best connections, while it's very likely Bendis, Rucka and Fraction will be working together and playing off each other's stories. The Rebirth books, by design were separate entities. I don't think that will be the case here. I don't believe that Lois will be dropped from Action or Superman for her own book. While I can see them giving her some room to establish herself, Bendis has said that she's a big part of the Action Comics narrative. If anything it allows for additional content when she's not in the book each issue.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Pretty sure we lost Superwoman, New Super-man and Super Sons when Bendis came over.
    dude superwoman and new super-man was already gone before Bendis came on board

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The most you can do is blame him for turning the next two arcs of Super Sons into a maxi series. But that's still Tomasi's and the sales keep dropping despite it continuing the same type of stories.
    The sales keep dropping because it's a book set in the past and has no connective tissue to what Bendis is doing. It's not something that is "of the moment"

The sales keep dropping because it's a book set in the past and has no connective tissue to what Bendis is doing. It's not something that is "of the moment"
    That's on comic fans and the desire to only read the imaginary stories that "count." And even then, no one knew what the outcome for Jon would be from July through late November when the first cover leaked. That's over a year from Bendis' hire and the sales were steadily dropping.

DC has Damian and Jon in a Super Sons Zoom book, so they obviously weren't against the idea itself. And Tomasi said there was a chance for more if it sold well. But because it was "in the past" by like 6 months, everyone dropped it. The original Super Son's volume had two issues that crossed over with Superman. The rest were completely self contained and didn't really impact the main books at all. There wasn't much connective tissue to speak of to begin with. So it's not like the stories were drastically altered. They basically said we'll give you the same content you want alongside the new stories, but people stopped buying them.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.

BANNED

That's on comic fans and the desire to only read the imaginary stories that "count." And even then, no one knew what the outcome for Jon would be from July through late November when the first cover leaked
    Yes we did. Bendis shared the design concept sketches for the aged up Jon over the summer on instagram. You know as well as I do he deliberately spoiled things early in his run to keep people from jumping to conclusions.

Yes we did. Bendis shared the design concept sketches for the aged up Jon over the summer on instagram. You know as well as I do he deliberately spoiled things early in his run to keep people from jumping to conclusions.
    But that's the thing, no one knew what that was! That could have been a slightly older Jon for all we knew at the time. If all it takes is an instagram post to cause sales to tank, it's still the mentality that these stories won't "count" so why bother buying them.

BANNED

But that's the thing, no one knew what that was! That could have been a slightly older Jon for all we knew at the time
    People aren't stupid, they put two and two together fairly easily.

But it certainly brings about a question of just how popular and beloved a concept is if it starts being dropped just on the grounds of "well it looks like this might change soon and 'not matter', so I'm out". If status quo and continuity determines sales of a concept that easily, to me that speaks less to the concept is being treated unfairly and more to asking just what is its actual staying power (I'm talking the book in of itself, not the characters). I mean, books without tight interconnectivity to main continuity can and do sell, its not like its extremely uncommon for that to happen. So laying all the excuse at the feet of that just doesn't make much sense to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But it certainly brings about a question of just how popular and beloved a concept is if it starts being dropped just on the grounds of "well it looks like this might change soon and 'not matter', so I'm out". If status quo and continuity determines sales of a concept that easily, to me that speaks less to the concept is being treated unfairly and more to asking just what is its actual staying power (I'm talking the book in of itself, not the characters).
    It was more popular than that barf of a relationship between Diana and superman I can tell you that much.

The problem is that most popular concepts are often rooted in continuity as time goes on, the second star wars fans realized that the sequel trilogy was merely a launch pad for new characters that largely ignored the previous 2 trilogies they dropped it like a hot potato in mass.

Same with solo even though solo was more connected to the previous 2 trilogies.

Prequels DO NOT SELL in comic form or in movie form, which is why super sons maxi series is collapsing in sales(but not as hard as bendis's superman)

It was more popular than that barf of a relationship between Diana and superman I can tell you that much.
    We're not talking about Superman and Wonder Woman. You having to go to that well to knock something I liked down doesn't do anything for your argument.

The problem is that most popular concepts are often rooted in continuity as time goes on, the second star wars fans realized that the sequel trilogy was merely a launch pad for new characters that largely ignored the previous 2 trilogies they dropped it like a hot potato in mass.

Same with solo even though solo was more connected to the previous 2 trilogies.

Prequels DO NOT SELL in comic form or in movie form, which is why super sons maxi series is collapsing in sales(but not as hard as bendis's superman)
    None of this is accurate. One, the sequel Star Wars trilogy was not dropped like a hot potato. That's massive exaggeration that just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It was a controversial film that still made bank, if not quite as much as the predecessor. It wasn't jettisoned en masse by any stretch. The only strong disappointment thus far has box office-wise has been Solo. Secondly and more prudent to this particular conversation, prequel concepts do go over. If they didn't, they never would have caught on in the first place, and they caught on like wildfire in the late 90s early 2000s and have yet to go away. Its just a bad excuse.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

The most you can do is blame him for turning the next two arcs of Super Sons into a maxi series. But that's still Tomasi's and the sales keep dropping despite it continuing the same type of stories.
    That's assuming that Adventures of Super Sons is the next two arcs Tomasi would have done. The story Tomasi wanted to tell could have easily been changed due to what Bendis was doing to Jon. Tomasi can't really develop Jon's character in any substantial way because that would undercut Bendis's story, which means we get 12 issues of the characters having fun, but essentially spinning their wheels. So yeah, Super Sons was kind of neutered before before the sales on the maxi got so low.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That's assuming that Adventures of Super Sons is the next two arcs Tomasi would have done. The story Tomasi wanted to tell could have easily been changed due to what Bendis was doing to Jon. Tomasi can't really develop Jon's character in any substantial way because that would undercut Bendis's story, which means we get 12 issues of the characters having fun, but essentially spinning their wheels. So yeah, Super Sons was kind of neutered before before the sales on the maxi got so low.
    Thank you, I love the fact that the defenders of age up Jon are able to so easily **** on tomasi and Jurgen to prop bendis up as some kind of savior.

I guess people really wanted that Lois lane and Jimmy comic...which is being held hostage by bendis to keep his shitty creative decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I don't see any real difference between the content of the maxi-series or the regular one. It's the same type of stories, and Tomasi could very easily incorporate as much character development he wanted to to build to where Bendis took Jon. Hell, Bendis set him up with a pretty good end point for Jon to reach with the growing and unexpressed concern about living up to his dad and getting rejected by the Titans. That's something that easily could have been explored with Jon alone without impacting Superman because the point was Clark and Lois didn't see this in Jon.

BANNED

DC are putting together a Crisis box set

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...sis-companion/