Page 385 of 613 FirstFirst ... 285335375381382383384385386387388389395435485 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,775 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    In regards to the chances of Jon "teaming up" with Lois in her book? I hope it's more in the sense of Rucka doing some character work where he has the two talk/spend time together. Bendis already set up that Jon's not the biggest fan of what the gossip columnist have to say about Superman (now that I'm thinking about it, that seems like set-up for him showing up in Lois' book), so he likely won't have the best reaction to hearing people call his mom a cheater.
    Actually, having Jon along for some of Lois' adventures would be a great way to spin the classic "damsel in distress" troupe in Lois' favor. Sacred is right in that Lois should not be in the thick of the superhuman world. Not usually anyway. She's an amazing person but she's not supposed to "stand among the gods" in such a literal way. I have nothing against her occasionally holding her own (like pulling a New God weapon from under a table to protect herself in Identity Crisis) but that's not, thematically, where she's supposed to be all the time.

But having Jon in her pocket? That helps her cross that bridge a little bit, it's training for Jon, it keeps a classic Superman troupe active, but twists it since Lois has the upper hand in her power dynamic with him (he's her son, for all his powers she can still take his allowance away) it's not Lois being "saved" so much as its "Jon I just jumped out of a fifty story building, I need you to come catch me and take me to the Planet so I can write up the story. And bring your homework, you can do math while I write."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But having Jon in her pocket? That helps her cross that bridge a little bit, it's training for Jon, it keeps a classic Superman troupe active, but twists it since Lois has the upper hand in her power dynamic with him (he's her son, for all his powers she can still take his allowance away) it's not Lois being "saved" so much as its "Jon I just jumped out of a fifty story building, I need you to come catch me and take me to the Planet so I can write up the story. And bring your homework, you can do math while I write."
    Jon's no longer the "I've got math homework to do" type (I don't even think he'll go to school anymore), but I see what you mean, and I think we'll get some of that with both Jon and Clark, but Rucka saying that this will be more about the story she need to write, and its effects, and how this has more in common with Gotham Central than anything at DC he's ever done since makes me think Jon and Clark as super people are going to be used quite sparingly. That's why I'm assuming their involvement will be primarily on a personal level.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

But maybe the most burning question on my mind now is how do they explain the Lois/Superman kiss? You gotta explain Jon and you can't take away Clark Kent because he's clearly a priority again with what is essentially his own book. Over in Action 1005 Bendis had Clark openly very happy because he saw his wife the night before. He even tell Robinson as much, so I'm still firmly thinking that we're going for the modern family angle where Clark is Jon's step dad.

And judging by the way Rucka made a point to comment how everyone thinks it's Lois that's the temptress and Superman is the unwitting pure guy, I'm thinking Superman will make some sort of public statement and apology for being the one who came onto her. Maybe have it be over him being worried about their son at the time.
    I think there's a couple of different ways they could go about it. I think (or hope) you hit the nail on the head there with the stepfather/worried aspect parts I bolded. In that scenario it runs them through a public wringer with the kiss photo coming out, maybe they try to ride that out and then someone drops the overheard Jon conversation on them, so not only are they suspected of having an affair, but here's their 17 year old kid. In response, I think they can basically tell a version of the truth more or less. Acknowledge Jon's paternity and the stepfather angle either through the break in the engagement or something else. Jon and Lois went off with Superman's father for summer break. Due to the Zaar attack, communication was lost. Clark and Superman were concerned with Lois and Jon's absence, the inability to track them down, and the lack of communication. Explains Clark's inability to rebut Trish or talk to Perry and his odd behavior at work. Superman finds Lois and his relief and some unresolved feelings for the mother of his child got the better of him. Jon's continued absence and age up can then be explained in there somehow and even be used to explain Lois' continued absence from the Planet to the extent that Leviathan doesn't address that.

I still think that the likelihood that they lean into it, with Lois and Superman acknowledging an affair and Jon's paternity all happened behind Clark's back, is the least likely scenario. Yes it sets up the sad sack Clark again, gets back to a variation of the triangle, gives Lois a "secret identity," all things that kinda fit with Bendis' bronze age flavor. But for one, it's a pretty unmarketable set up for Lois Lane, Superman, and Clark Kent to be involved in an affair and make Jon Kent the product of that affair. As a new status quo, I don't think that is very likely. Particularly with the possibility of Jon Kent showing up on the CW and in Young Justice, and the continued adventures of Super Sons in Zoom.

And two, it also would kinda contradict what Rucka seems to be setting up with this being an attack and Bendis' few statements that they aren't breaking up "on any level" and are "100% together." Which, yeah, are slim threads to hang it on, but "on any level" would presumably include a public breakup and that would at least drop their togetherness below 100%! So I'll take what I can get at the moment.

And, overall Bendis is trying to reestablish Superman's relevance and status as a hopeful figure in the DCU and talks about his as someone who always does the right thing. That being the status quo doesn't really work with that and letting your wife take a public tarnishing as an adulterer so you can keep your reporter side gig isn't the most heroic thing either. Nor carrying on a decade long affair behind the back of one of your "friends" and publicly Clark Kent is friends with Superman. Plus, I don't think Rucka said she'll have to deal with the fallout of an affair, but rather the fallout of the picture and basically attacks that makes her and Superman suspected of having had an affair.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-22-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Jon's no longer the "I've got math homework to do" type (I don't even think he'll go to school anymore), but I see what you mean, and I think we'll get some of that with both Jon and Clark, but Rucka saying that this will be more about the story she need to write, and its effects, and how this has more in common with Gotham Central than anything at DC he's ever done since makes me think Jon and Clark as super people are going to be used quite sparingly. That's why I'm assuming their involvement will be primarily on a personal level.
    No, I think you're right, if its done it'll be uncommon. I'm just saying this would be a great way for Rucka to play with that classic Lois Lane dynamic and make it benefit her for a change.

And yeah, Jon's probably beyond the "homework" thing but that was just an example man. He might be a space prince out in the wider galaxy but in Metropolis he's still a minor living with mom and dad.

Or....maybe he will be. Who knows what his status quo will be when the dust settles. Still, you know what I mean.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there's a couple of different ways they could go about it. I think (or hope) you hit the nail on the head there with the stepfather/worried aspect parts I bolded. In that scenario it runs them through a public wringer with the kiss photo coming out, maybe they try to ride that out and then someone drops the overheard Jon conversation on them, so not only are they suspected of having an affair, but here's their 17 year old kid. In response, I think they can basically tell a version of the truth more or less. Acknowledge Jon's paternity and the stepfather angle either through the break in the engagement or something else. Jon and Lois went off with Superman's father for summer break. Due to the Zaar attack, communication was lost. Clark and Superman were concerned with Lois and Jon's absence, the inability to track them down, and the lack of communication. Explains Clark's inability to rebut Trish or talk to Perry and his odd behavior at work. Superman finds Lois and his relief and some unresolved feelings for the mother of his child got the better of him. Jon's continued absence and age up can then be explained in there somehow and even be used to explain Lois' continued absence from the Planet to the extent that Leviathan doesn't address that.

I still think that the likelihood that they lean into it, with Lois and Superman acknowledging an affair and Jon's paternity all happened behind Clark's back, is the least likely scenario. Yes it sets up the sad sack Clark again, gets back to a variation of the triangle, gives Lois a "secret identity," all things that kinda fit with Bendis' bronze age flavor. But for one, it's a pretty unmarketable set up for Lois Lane, Superman, and Clark Kent to be involved in an affair and make Jon Kent the product of that affair. As a new status quo, I don't think that is very likely. Particularly with the possibility of Jon Kent showing up on the CW and in Young Justice, and the continued adventures of Super Sons in Zoom.

And two, it also would kinda contradict what Rucka seems to be setting up with this being an attack and Bendis' few statements that they aren't breaking up "on any level" and are "100% together." Which, yeah, are slim threads to hang it on, but "on any level" would presumably include a public breakup and that would at least drop their togetherness below 100%! So I'll take what I can get at the moment.

And, overall Bendis is trying to reestablish Superman's relevance and status as a hopeful figure in the DCU and talks about his as someone who always does the right thing. That being the status quo doesn't really work with that and letting your wife take a public tarnishing as an adulterer so you can keep your reporter side gig isn't the most heroic thing either. Nor carrying on a decade long affair behind the back of one of your "friends" and publicly Clark Kent is friends with Superman. Plus, I don't think Rucka said she'll have to deal with the fallout of an affair, but rather the fallout of the picture and basically attacks that makes her and Superman suspected of having had an affair.
    I think you're 100% on the money. I particularly like how you lay out the stuff when Lois and Jon are gone, and how it made it so hard for Clark to answer Trish. Yeah, I don't think canonizing Lois as a willing participant in an affair meshing with Rucka or Bendis' whole deal right now. Also great catch on that "on any level" comment.

Couple books says that either a line, subtitle, or something on the cover for the paternity revel issue will say something along the lines of "Superman, you ARE the father" or "Clark Kent, you ARE NOT the father" playing up the whole vapid gossip stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, I think you're right, if its done it'll be uncommon. I'm just saying this would be a great way for Rucka to play with that classic Lois Lane dynamic and make it benefit her for a change.

And yeah, Jon's probably beyond the "homework" thing but that was just an example man. He might be a space prince out in the wider galaxy but in Metropolis he's still a minor living with mom and dad.

Or....maybe he will be. Who knows what his status quo will be when the dust settles. Still, you know what I mean.
    I see what you mean. Rucka's work in Gotham Central seems to support the idea too. There we get Batman within the first 2 issues, but he hardly speaks, has no POV, and, brilliantly, his action scenes are cut from the book. Like, if Lois has the person dead to rights, tells them that that it won't end well if they try something, they try something, Lois whispers "okay, go ahead", and all you see, within the blink of an eye, is Jon hovering over the criminal. Lucky her kid was in the neighborhood/she called for back-up beforehand.

And I'm all for "I don't care how many space dragons you've fought, young man. You're in by 11......No, I don't care that no one else on the Legion has curfew. You get your behind back in this century by 11 or so help me."

Bendis said he still wants them to be navigating each other as a loving family even if their situation is odd. I've been hoping for a Miles Morals situation where he's doing his thing for the week then he's home on the weekends. Between that and Bendis great fondness for classic Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes, I'm hoping he sets up Jon in a very close equivalent to a Miles and Silver/Bronze age Clark situation.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I think you're 100% on the money. I particularly like how you lay out the stuff when Lois and Jon are gone, and how it made it so hard for Clark to answer Trish. Yeah, I don't think canonizing Lois as a willing participant in an affair meshing with Rucka or Bendis' whole deal right now. Also great catch on that "on any level" comment.

Couple books says that either a line, subtitle, or something on the cover for the paternity revel issue will say something along the lines of "Superman, you ARE the father" or "Clark Kent, you ARE NOT the father" playing up the whole vapid gossip stuff.
    I hope we are right. I think Bendis chooses his words pretty carefully in interviews, so I do hang a lot on what he has said. He's frustratingly non-committal most of the time. But he hasn't lied either. He's actually laid out a lot of what he's doing pretty straight, if kinda vague.

I suppose one other option is Clark as a willing beard who also helped raise Jon. Though, that kinda loses all the drama and tension the other variations have and would still involve a "breakup" of a sort. I wonder if Lois appearing in Superwoman garb in the dream sequences offers a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I hope we are right. I think Bendis chooses his words pretty carefully in interviews, so I do hang a lot on what he has said. He's frustratingly non-committal most of the time. But he hasn't lied either. He's actually laid out a lot of what he's doing pretty straight, if kinda vague.
    Agree. He's been cagey and has played coy, but I haven't seen him lie. And I'm now starting to think when he said we'd be "apologizing" after we saw just how much he loved the Superman family, he was talking about more than just Lois, Clark, and Jon is the two main books. I think he was extending that comment to regard to Lois getting her own book, Jimmy getting his own book (and clearly being treated as family by Lois and Clark), Jon's hero's journey, Clark Kent getting Action Comics, Superman getting, well, Superman, Kara folding back in with the crossover, Sam Lane getting deeper into the family, and Jor-El being more than a bad guy.

I suppose one other option is Clark as a willing beard who also helped raise Jon. Though, that kinda loses all the drama and tension the other variations have and would still involve a "breakup" of a sort. I wonder if Lois appearing in Superwoman garb in the dream sequences offers a hint.
    Yeah, I find that less likely because that doesn't play into his whole "modern family" idea. Clark as stepfather with Superman as biological father is much more in line. And if this is to be a healthy modern family like Bendis says, then Lois would still be part of the house of El, thus have a right to the S even if Superman is her ex.

Lol, I just realize Bendis would basically be making the super equivalent of the movies Daddy's Home 1 and 2 complete with ******* grandpa, and secretly emotionally hurt grandpa.

Think about it.....
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-22-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It would have been nice to have a balanced display of Lois in all her three roles of journo, wife and mother. It's what I'm hoping to get now that Bendis is in control of the Super books.
    That "balanced" situation was basically the premise of the Lois and Clark mini-series, immediately after Convergence. Since the New 52 Lois and Clark were the "real" L&C at the time, the couple who had been held in the bubble (and who gave birth to Jon there) during Convergence were now living on a farm in California as the "Whites". Their main occupation was running their farm and raising their young son, but Clark (wearing his black uniform) nevertheless spent a lot of time flying all over the world being a super-hero, albeit out of the public view. Lois spent her evenings writing investigative books, which were published anonymously (and became best sellers). It was the last of these, an expose' of Intergang, that forced the couple off the farm. Even though the author of the Intergang expose' was anonymous, they found out who she was (hey, they're Intergang, right?), and they came after her. Her life was saved only by an assistance from Jon (who was just discovering his powers) and by Clark, doing the super-heroics. Lois is a tough cookie, but realistically she certainly couldn't get away from a hit squad of professional assassins. After her narrow escape, the "Whites" left California and emerged in Hamilton as the "Kents" (now that the New 52 versions had flamed out). In any case, the books were about how a working family tries to juggle family and careers, and maybe the Ruka book will take the same approach (except portraying the Kents as full-time reporters, not farmers!).

It's weird how much I miss the Kents living on the farm.

Lois and Clark should always be reporters, but I really enjoyed the Smallville-esque elements without actually hacktracking to Clark's childhood town. And it was distinct, both visually and narratively, from the norm (where everyone lives in a city or a secluded mansion on a hill). It was very *Superman* and felt like a natural step in their lives. I mean, who wants to raise a kid with powers in a crowded city when you could live on a farm and let that kid (literally) run free? Especially when the monorail makes the ride to Metropolis a twenty minute commute?

I hoped that we'd see Lois keep her job at the Planet and see Clark go "part time," writing for the Planet less frequently (making a Kent article a big deal) and keeping the farm running.

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Not related to Bendis necessarily, but Tomasi confirmed he is done writing the Supersons after issue 12 of the current mini and he doesn't have any plans for anything in the future at least for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Not related to Bendis necessarily, but Tomasi confirmed he is done writing the Supersons after issue 12 of the current mini and he doesn't have any plans for anything in the future at least for a few years.
    Sucks that he didn’t get to do his Batman 666 story he wanted to do, but that sounds more like it was the fault of the Super Sons of Tomorrow crossover flopping.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Did you read a different interview than me?

From what I saw he didn't say a few years or that he doesn't have any plans for them. He just said it would be quite a while before he does get back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sucks that he didn’t get to do his Batman 666 story he wanted to do, but that sounds more like it was the fault of the Super Sons of Tomorrow crossover flopping.
    It depends on what he meant by short circuited.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Did you read a different interview than me?

From what I saw he didn't say a few years or that he doesn't have any plans for them. He just said it would be quite a while before he does get back to them.

It depends on what he meant by short circuited.
    Ah my bad, you are right.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...06877504749568
    Do you guys think this will have an effect on the bendis run?
    Personally, i am excited to see kid jon interact with superdad again. Snyder seems to have a good handle on jon. He did that bit with jon in the metal event. Where jon and damian were performing music. I hope the story is not a flashback, but happening before the bendis's man of steel and part of active story arc.
    So, i guess superson is ending. What a shame.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-26-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...06877504749568
    Do you guys think this will have an effect on the bendis run?
    Personally, i am excited to see kid jon interact with superdad again. Snyder seems to have a good handle on jon. He did that bit with jon in the metal event. Where jon and damian were performing music. I hope the story is not a flashback, but happening before the bendis's man of steel and part of active story arc.
    So, i guess superson is ending. What a shame.
    Unfortunately it's probably just a flashback(or that the league story takes place before bendis's arc), but if by some chance DC decided to respond this quickly to the negative reaction by telling Snyder that on the way home from his current time travel story to stop by earth three and pick up Jon as an ad-hoc fix, I'd be all for it as I absolutely do not like Jon being aged up, and don't care whether it would undermine Bendis's story or not. They probably wouldn't be derailing bendis run too much, so older Jon would likely survive as an alternate timeline version and we'd have the two Jons coexist. Jon's secret Id and status Superman's son would also probably be revealed. Jon was said to be with Perry during Doomsday clock right? If everything still takes place before doomsday clock, Maybe Lois and Clark could arrange for the younger Jon to have fake secret ID being taken care of by perry until they can figure something out? All this is probably just wishful thinking.