Page 395 of 613 FirstFirst ... 295345385391392393394395396397398399405445495 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,925 of 9194

There's just so much inconsistency throughout this run that it just kind of kills it as a whole for me. Like how Bendis gets from point A to point B is such a clusterfuck of stupid reasonings. Even the good moments here and there usually have a big WTF coming right after. And characterization is terrible, Jon, Clark and Lois, are taking this change (Jon's Age/ 6 to 7 years of torture) with a huge grain of salt.

And it's such an unnecessary change like can someone give me one good reason, other then Angst for Clark and Lois why the age up happened? Just 1 good reason? Like am I the only one who thinks that there is absolutely nothing about this story that couldn't have been told so far without making such a big change to Jon?

Apparently it all comes down to future characterization. Much like all the bullcrap in King's Batman run, it's all for what's planned down the road. Whether that gives you some sort of comfort or not is up to you. Personally, it still doesn't excite me in the least.

So yes. At the moment, all of this could have happened with Jon's age still intact and absolutely nothing would change. Jor-El would still be insane (even though he's yet to show exactly why Jon thinks he needs to be stopped....aside from the things he's done WAY before this run began), and Lois and Clark would have still taken the "worst parent ever" award from Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Apparently it all comes down to future characterization. Much like all the bullcrap in King's Batman run, it's all for what's planned down the road. Whether that gives you some sort of comfort or not is up to you. Personally, it still doesn't excite me in the least.

So yes. At the moment, all of this could have happened with Jon's age still intact and absolutely nothing would change. Jor-El would still be insane (even though he's yet to show exactly why Jon thinks he needs to be stopped....aside from the things he's done WAY before this run began), and Lois and Clark would have still taken the "worst parent ever" award from Bruce.
    See because I think the execution of it all is so terrible I don't care about future plans. Like when I first found about the Jon thing I was like okay Bendis want's to go this route so let's see where it goes. He's doing such a terrible job of selling this idea it's mediocre at best. Okay Jon goes with Jor-el because Clark was blinded by family... That's Bull! Lois leaves Jon because all of a sudden she trust Jor-el without any big reason as to why.... That's ****! Jon's been tortured in a volcano for 7 years grandpa comes to save him and now he think's he's crazy... 4 What? Jon still acting like an innocent 11 year old seemingly unaffected by all that's happened and just want's to go see Damien to tell him the story... *sighs*

My thing is I don't feel he's really trying to sell the readers on this idea. It just seems like an ultimatum this is the new status quo for the foreseeable future except it. Like dude if you were convinced this was a good idea and as he stated this was HIS IDEA, sell me on it show me why this was the way to go. So far I don't see it and I don't like it.

Yeah so far there’s been nothing to justify why Jon being 17 now needs to happen. I listened to the Word Ballon podcast with Bendis talking about his plans and his reasons for doing it are:
    1. He doesn’t want to rehash what Tomasi and Jurgens did with Jon
    2. He has stories for a suddenly aged up Jon that he wants to tell
    My guess is he plans on making Jon star in the upcoming LoSH book. We’ll see how that turns out, but right now I think you could’ve 100% just had Jon gone for three months and this story would be exactly the same emotionally especially if you had Ultraman or Superwoman scar him. I guess the intent here is to show that Jon is a good kid who has internalized his father’s teachings and won’t break no matter how bad it gets.

But I’ve enjoyed everything else besides Jon so I’m content to go along with Bendis for his ride since like the O5 I think it will be undone by the end of his run.

The trip with Jor El and the age up are driving all the changes to the slow motion status quo reset that's happening now. The age up likely will be central to whatever they do with the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle next year and the trip was what sent Lois off on the direction where she's now getting her own book and is part of all this Year of the Villain stuff. Lois being MIA and the kiss is an easily resolved storyline. Throwing Jon being outed into the mix complicates things significantly and makes it a legit problem they have to get out of.

More meta-level it seems obvious they wanted to free up the stories and not have them revolve around traditional parenting the way they did in the Rebirth run. This allows for the family to stay together, but be more independent and allow for more "classic" story structure with Clark and Lois especially. And it likely plays into having a Superboy and the Legion series.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The trip with Jor El and the age up are driving all the changes to the slow motion status quo reset that's happening now. The age up likely will be central to whatever they do with the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle next year and the trip was what sent Lois off on the direction where she's now getting her own book and is part of all this Year of the Villain stuff. Lois being MIA and the kiss is an easily resolved storyline. Throwing Jon being outed into the mix complicates things significantly and makes it a legit problem they have to get out of.

More meta-level it seems obvious they wanted to free up the stories and not have them revolve around traditional parenting the way they did in the Rebirth run. This allows for the family to stay together, but be more independent and allow for more "classic" story structure with Clark and Lois especially. And it likely plays into having a Superboy and the Legion series.
    So basically for unneeded drama and a potential Superboy in a legion. None of that is necessary or even appealing Clark and Lois are fine, they'd be better under a different writer by all means but still their fine. And if he wanted a Superboy in legion so badly he could have easily put Connor there or hell bring back Chris Kent he had many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    So basically for unneeded drama and a potential Superboy in a legion. None of that is necessary or even appealing Clark and Lois are fine, they'd be better under a different writer by all means but still their fine. And if he wanted a Superboy in legion so badly he could have easily put Connor there or hell bring back Chris Kent he had many options.
    Kara is at the age to go to the Legion.

I do like that Clark is facing a problem he can’t punch away and it is forcing him outside his comfort zone. In an era where Clark is typically portrayed as just barely on the side of good with one bad day all that’s needed to send him over to SuperHitler, it’s nice to see him handling this Jon development (which clearly upsets him) in a rather mature way.

Nothing in comics is "necessary" drama. It just comes down to whether or not you like the direction. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like how this all turns out, but one major misstep of Action 1004 aside, I'm kinda ok with how this drama is progressing. I even like how Bendis is writing Lois now. I think he's getting his version of her voice down finally and seems to be more comfortable writing her. He has Clark's down since the jump. And his Jon is pretty solid for me as well.

Let me flip it back around, what do we lose with this Jon story wise? Everyone says Jon's been destroyed as a character, but no one really has articulated how.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview - Brian Michael Bendis Teases the Secrets of Event Leviathan: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...f-event-l.html

Nothing in comics is "necessary" drama. It just comes down to whether or not you like the direction. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like how this all turns out, but one major misstep of Action 1004 aside, I'm kinda ok with how this drama is progressing. I even like how Bendis is writing Lois now. I think he's getting his version of her voice down finally and seems to be more comfortable writing her. He has Clark's down since the jump. And his Jon is pretty solid for me as well.

Let me flip it back around, what do we lose with this Jon story wise? Everyone says Jon's been destroyed as a character, but no one really has articulated how.
    Easy years of plot gone. By aging up Jon we miss his growth. Jon had potential to become so much. Whether or not he would have followed Clark's path as THE Superman, his views on people, how to deal with villains. Finding out who Jon really is, that's what this age up takes away. Now he's just another Teen hero a dime a dozen. Plus when he was a kid he was relatable plus it made him more unique how many child superheroes are there in DC?

So basically as readers I feel we're losing years of plot and character development if this stays permanent. Where as all we gain from it is making Lois and Clark look like awful parents, a child in a man's body who's gonna end up hanging out with a 13 year old, and maybe angsty Teen mood swings over being trapped in a volcano. *Shrugs* I could go on that's just how I feel on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Sure, Lois under Bendis is already incredibly despicable. So why not?
    LOL, sadly, you have a point...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle....
    The Clark/Lois/Superman triangle being "revived" is just assinine. The Tringle only works if Lois is unaware Clark is Superman. Talk about a silly, unnecessary concept given the current status quo. It is laughably moronic. If Bendis wants to write the Triangle so badly he should do an Elseworlds series or write some flashback stories otherwise, just no.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interview - Brian Michael Bendis Teases the Secrets of Event Leviathan: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...f-event-l.html
    I say this literally every interview almost, but this has me excited. I honestly predicted bendis taking over the green arrow title once it was announced he was coming to DC so hopefully this leads to that. Also looks like during leviathan, people will assume Clark was taken by Levithan and Talia(and going by the preview art, that’s true.) Also going by the preview, the book is right in continuity with JL right now with Mera in the league. So that officially shoots down the theory this is set after doomsday clock unless some retcons occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Easy years of plot gone. By aging up Jon we miss his growth. Jon had potential to become so much. Whether or not he would have followed Clark's path as THE Superman, his views on people, how to deal with villains. Finding out who Jon really is, that's what this age up takes away. Now he's just another Teen hero a dime a dozen. Plus when he was a kid he was relatable plus it made him more unique how many child superheroes are there in DC?

So basically as readers I feel we're losing years of plot and character development if this stays permanent. Where as all we gain from it is making Lois and Clark look like awful parents, a child in a man's body who's gonna end up hanging out with a 13 year old, and maybe angsty Teen mood swings over being trapped in a volcano. *Shrugs* I could go on that's just how I feel on the subject.
    But other than actually seeing him age, all that is still on the table. Why can’t this be explored now?

And I’ll maintain a 13-14 year old and a 17 year old hanging out is a lot more normal than a 10 year old and 13 year old. So that dynamic really isn’t ruined for me.