Page 4 of 613 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    So Bendis gets both main Superman titles then? Since I don't care for Bendis's work most of the time that really sucks big time for me. Honestly, I was hoping he would get one or the other and not both that way I could continue reading and enjoying one of them. I will give him a single issue of both but if those issues literally don't blow me away right out of the gate I'm out.
    I'm with you, I can't stand Bendis' work at all. I thought he'd get one of the Superman titles but both of them is incredibly disappointing. I know I won't like what Bendis will do with the character so I won't waste my money on a chance.

Its huge news. I am excited. At the same time a bit worried. Worried because he is taking all of them. If his writing does not work for me i will have to basically leave both Superman and Action. Its a new direction in a big way. So to worry a bit is natural. And his recent work has got lot of people unhappy.

I think that's mostly because he stayed at Marvel for so long. If any creator is attached to one property for too long they loose out telling new things to say. And something new and challenging can invigorate them for real. For example Sam Raimi in Spider-man 3 was running out of his creative juices for that franchise. One reason why its not so good as the first two ones. Bendis happens to be an acclaimed writer with his best days in his past. So, his work just might be real good. I am hoping that to true.

Why do fans here think that its a status quo shift? The Forbes article mentions that Bendis is not taking things away from the recent acclaimed runs. Its not a reboot. And what really makes me happy is that he is going to put a spotlight on Metropolis and Daily Planet. I always want to read those characters. They are barely characters nowadays. Appearing in a panel or so.

Thus, i am excited as well as a bit fearful. This can all turn out to be terrible. Its good that Bendis himself is pretty excited. Not about his words. To create hype one can say a lot of words. But after working for years in Marvel there is a challenge for him. He had made his love for Superman clear. So, let us wait and watch.

Bendis talks a lot about Superman’s origins and the early days of Superman. I’m sure part of that pertains to Clark landing on the Kent Farm and growing up in Smallville, but if Bendis brings some Golden Age elements to his run, I’m in. I’ve never cared about the Supermarriage, nor about Jon, and I think the trunks are outdated and don’t understand why people get their damn panties in a twist over it, but if Bendis throws it back to the Golden Age, I will put all of that aside.

The Golden Age is the gold standard for Superman, no one in the Silver Age or post-Crisis has come close to that level until Morrison’s Action Comics run (Pak/Kuder’s run comes close and plays with the same themes but was too wrapped up in crossovers). The sequence where Superman beats up that abusive husband is one of my favorite moments and I wish modern Superman did stuff like that more. And I hope Bendis makes it happen.

Fantastic Member

He’s done something similar in the past with X-men where he wrote the two flagship titles at once. I thought it was nice how he tied them into one another so I think it’d be cool to see him do the same here with Superman. I’m not terribly concerned about a singular vision for the title, Bendis has proven himself to me, but I’m not looking forward to the potential Bendis-speak coming from certain characters.

Edit: are the titles going monthly btw? It kinda seems like they’d have to if he’s also writing for his imprint.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Bendis talks a lot about Superman’s origins and the early days of Superman. I’m sure part of that pertains to Clark landing on the Kent Farm and growing up in Smallville, but if Bendis brings some Golden Age elements to his run, I’m in. I’ve never cared about the Supermarriage, nor about Jon, and I think the trunks are outdated and don’t understand why people get their damn panties in a twist over it, but if Bendis throws it back to the Golden Age, I will put all of that aside.
    That interview indicated Bendis isn't getting rid of the marriage or Jon, if anything he'll be taking those elements to different levels. DC aren't that stupid to repeat the dire mistakes of the New 52

And frankly I couldn't give two cents let alone a nickel for the "golden age", most people who want it back never lived in that period to begin with and just overhype it to death when complaining about what "doesn't work" now thinking that's how Superman should always be, when he's long grown past it.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-01-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That interview indicated Bendis isn't getting rid of the marriage or Jon, if anything he'll be taking those elements to different levels. DC aren't that stupid to repeat the dire mistakes of the New 52
    I’m not saying he should get rid of them, I’m saying I’ll read despite my dislike of those things if his take is more like Golden Age Superman.

Well, with all of it, it seems that the last pretense of New 52 Superman will be fully thrown away. I don't like that, and I really hate the idea that D.C's whole world could be affected by what happens in Superman's books. I hated it in Reborn, and I feel that I'll hate it even more in the future. I just hope that the books I pull (Aquaman, the Bat-Books, the Dark Matter line) won't be affected, or as little as possible...

BANNED

You did knock the trunks though. Those are about as Golden Age as you can get.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I'm with you, I can't stand Bendis' work at all. I thought he'd get one of the Superman titles but both of them is incredibly disappointing. I know I won't like what Bendis will do with the character so I won't waste my money on a chance.
    Oh, I'm not going to be wasting my money on a chance that I might like either of them. It is Bendis after all. I have a couple of comic reading buddies who are all a dither about Bendis taking over both books so I'm just going to borrow the first issues from them.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    As long as the writing is decent and he has good art(which he does), these books will do fine regardless of any changes Bendis does. That's why he is so successful at marvel, he has good art to back up his inconsistent in quality writing.
    Wasn't that mistake of the 90's everyone collecting comics for the art never mind the stories and soon people realised they weren't going to be rich men and the comic book market collapsed? And it's a mistake that people continue to commit.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Both books..... What a shame..

Who is that character in the rocket image? That new villain related with Superman origin that Bendis mentions here?

Superman a comic of adventures and ACTION comics of Superman normal life.. OK.. I will decide with the reviews if I should try to see one of those books..
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-01-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

With Bendis on both Superman titles, I really hope he we get more spinoffs announced like a Steel book, New Super-Man continuing etc. Also I think it's time supergirl got a relaunch and a new direction.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The 90s didn't quite have a huge problem in collecting FOR art, but rather collecting speculation and rather unfortunate trends in art that overshadowed writing. this won't be the case regardless, but I truly hope Bendis tries harder than ever to tap into what he's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Its huge news. I am excited. At the same time a bit worried. Worried because he is taking all of them. If his writing does not work for me i will have to basically leave both Superman and Action. Its a new direction in a big way. So to worry a bit is natural. And his recent work has got lot of people unhappy.

I think that's mostly because he stayed at Marvel for so long. If any creator is attached to one property for too long they loose out telling new things to say. And something new and challenging can invigorate them for real. For example Sam Raimi in Spider-man 3 was running out of his creative juices for that franchise. One reason why its not so good as the first two ones. Bendis happens to be an acclaimed writer with his best days in his past. So, his work just might be real good. I am hoping that to true.

Why do fans here think that its a status quo shift? The Forbes article mentions that Bendis is not taking things away from the recent acclaimed runs. Its not a reboot. And what really makes me happy is that he is going to put a spotlight on Metropolis and Daily Planet. I always want to read those characters. They are barely characters nowadays. Appearing in a panel or so.

Thus, i am excited as well as a bit fearful. This can all turn out to be terrible. Its good that Bendis himself is pretty excited. Not about his words. To create hype one can say a lot of words. But after working for years in Marvel there is a challenge for him. He had made his love for Superman clear. So, let us wait and watch.
    it's exciting me because I was born exactly five years before Death Of, so now it seems like I get to have the CoIE experience.

I don't expect drastic changes really, but something of a shift given his interview and copying the Byrne reboot structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Lois and Clark are married a year from now in Doomsday Clock, the Kents are still dead then too, and I very much doubt Jon's getting axed, so I don't think the status quo shift will be particularly destructive.
    Nothing promises the Kents will still be dead. Bendis could bring them into the present day through some time travel BS or something. It wouldn't change anything from the past several years, but it'd still change stuff going forward.

That's the kind of thing Im worried about. The retro-active non-reboot stuff like what Loeb did with Krypton back in 2000-2001.

"Oh, you thought you knew? Well it turns out Pa Kent was really Mister Mind all along! And now Pa Kent has been taken into the present day from the past! But its the Pa Kent who had just found baby Clark! How is all of time not collapsing!? We dont know! We'll drag the story out for years though, long after you stopped caring!"

I'd rather hear that Bendis just wants to tell good stories, rather than all this "shock and awe!" crap. Dude, you were the biggest writer Marvel had. Now you're at DC and working on Superman. You dont need to sell this hard, you dont gotta mess with the status quo, just write a good god damn book and stop trying to be overly clever.

Of course, "fixing" Superman when he doesnt actually need it is what DC does. Years of him wearing an ugly costume go by, and DC lets it slide. They finally stumble on a good, worthy update? That's when they decide to bring back the trunks; when Clark finally looked good without them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Super excited about this, it reminds me of the time where Byrne handled both books too (and later he added a third to the mix). Let’s hope this change of air really helps Bendis’ writing and he shows why he came to be such a star in the comic book industry
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH