Page 406 of 613 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416456506 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,090 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I loved the Rebirth era Superbooks, got me back into the Superbooks consistently since like 2012 or so, I have a few pages of Pat Gleason original art from Superman with Jon and the Superfamily, and loved Super Sons as well. Super Sons got my own son into comics now. So while I have some issues with the execution of the stories in Action and Superman, overall I'm still enjoying the books. I'd be pretty pissed actually if the marriage or Jon went away. I think Bendis is handling Lois & Clark better than Jon at the moment, but that's mainly because I think the flashback arc was kinda rushed. I'd actually really like to see Jon's adventures on Earth 3 and with Jor El fleshed out.
    I also got back in the the Superbooks in Rebirth. Even though I don't have kids, I enjoyed reading Super Sons.

These next statements are my opinions. As far as Bendis, he Superbooks have been ok for me. The whole living separately just so Lois can write a book is just silly to me. Where's the ship that she came in on that no one seems to notice or where did she even hide it? The Earth-3 flashback didn't really need to be there. I would have been just fine with with the space adventure and be sent back after that. That could that of a Jon Superboy comic with the flashback of Jon and Jor-el in space.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    These next statements are my opinions. As far as Bendis, he Superbooks have been ok for me. The whole living separately just so Lois can write a book is just silly to me. Where's the ship that she came in on that no one seems to notice or where did she even hide it? The Earth-3 flashback didn't really need to be there. I would have been just fine with with the space adventure and be sent back after that. That could that of a Jon Superboy comic with the flashback of Jon and Jor-el in space.
    I've found Bendis' handling of Lois over the last several issues of Action Comics to be a big improvement. He seems to be settling into a voice for her that is reminiscent of Erica Durance's Lois to me, and I'm liking it. I am looking forward to Event Leviathan and of course Rucka's Lois Lane book. I really did not like Action 1004 though. I think the concepts underlying it are ok - the idea that they live crazy lives and don't have to live a conventional nuclear family set up is kind of interesting to me - but that is by far the worst issue of any Bendis Superman run and was just a poorly executed comic. The criticism I have of that issue really are the same for a lot of issues. The timeline he's established is far to compressed and undermines the story beats. With a better editor, all of this could have worked and been far more in character. As it stands, I've just kind of accepted that he botched some of the initial execution and the further we get from that and the less important it is, the better it seems to be going.

The Jon stuff is kind of the same problems. Interesting ideas, but the execution was off. I think it's a real missed opportunity that they've seemingly closed the door on Jon having some real adventures out in space. Comic time being what it is they could definitely squeeze in a few arcs with Jor El and a solid run on Earth 3. I was just hoping for a more "Lost in Space" vibe with a lot of varied adventures.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    Anyone else notice that those that are defending bendis are the same people who dislike Jon and the marriage and have a vested interest in both of those things going into limbo
    Its mostly happenstance. No I don't like the marriage anymore nor have I ever liked Jon but I also am of the strong opinion neither are going anywhere anyway. My general preference for Bendis's run over Rebirth has to do with simply enjoying the stories better. I'm not worrying about things I don't like going away because I've been around long enough to understand they're not going away anytime soon so its worthless to keep fretting over it. Me not caring about the age-up is because I had absolutely no investment in kid Jon at all, that I fully admit, but that's really the only thing that not liking him affects in regards to how I feel about the run.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I've found Bendis' handling of Lois over the last several issues of Action Comics to be a big improvement. He seems to be settling into a voice for her that is reminiscent of Erica Durance's Lois to me, and I'm liking it. I am looking forward to Event Leviathan and of course Rucka's Lois Lane book. I really did not like Action 1004 though. I think the concepts underlying it are ok - the idea that they live crazy lives and don't have to live a conventional nuclear family set up is kind of interesting to me - but that is by far the worst issue of any Bendis Superman run and was just a poorly executed comic. The criticism I have of that issue really are the same for a lot of issues. The timeline he's established is far to compressed and undermines the story beats. With a better editor, all of this could have worked and been far more in character. As it stands, I've just kind of accepted that he botched some of the initial execution and the further we get from that and the less important it is, the better it seems to be going.

The Jon stuff is kind of the same problems. Interesting ideas, but the execution was off. I think it's a real missed opportunity that they've seemingly closed the door on Jon having some real adventures out in space. Comic time being what it is they could definitely squeeze in a few arcs with Jor El and a solid run on Earth 3. I was just hoping for a more "Lost in Space" vibe with a lot of varied adventures.
    I agree, his handling of Lois has gotten better. AC 1004, I think, most everybody including me and you don't like that issue. Again I agree with your criticism with the good ideas and poor execution. I think someone asked this question, in AC 1010, how is Supergirl on standby when she still in space?

There are a couple of problems with Jon stuff. He doesn't need to be 17. If Bendis puts him with the Legion, that would be a bad decision.

Side note: Saw a pic that from a future issue of Leviathan with Lois, Jimmy, Firestorm, and Dex-starr. Dex-starr, to me, is out of place. He is usually with Atrocitus. Why isn't he with Atrocitus.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I think someone asked this question, in AC 1010, how is Supergirl on standby when she still in space?
    That's a flashback.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

I generally agree there have been a lot of good ideas, with a lot of poor execution. I do enjoy Action Comics, and I liked much of Man of Steel. But it feels like a lot of the time what we get is Bendis's first draft, rather than a fully thought-out issue. I'd love to see a more focused Bendis. One that doesn't give us weirdness like J'onn advocating for Superman to take over the world.

That said I think his work with Jon has been a bad idea made even worse with bad execution. It needs to be undone as soon as humanly possible.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Just saw on this site. Bendis talking about Jon and Connor. He is still being vague about Jon.

https://www.cbr.com/superboys-bendis...onners-return/

Mighty Member

Just saw on this site. Bendis talking about Jon and Connor. He is still being vague about Jon.

https://www.cbr.com/superboys-bendis...onners-return/
    And fairly dismissive of internet criticism.
    Currently Reading:

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    And fairly dismissive of internet criticism.
    Because, as he said, the full story hasn't been told yet. What is he supposed to say, "I'm sorry and we will be reversing things immediately"?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Because, as he said, the full story hasn't been told yet. What is he supposed to say, "I'm sorry and we will be reversing things immediately"?
    He could say something more diplomatic. Show that he understands the criticisms, even if this is the story he is telling. But this came off as "Why are grown men getting so upset about me aging up a kid?" It was a little dismissive, like "Why are these silly internet people upset over this tiny thing?"
    Last edited by Sam; 05-06-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Something along those lines would be nice, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I must be some kinda freak then, because I've loved Jon as both a character and idea since Tomasi and Gleason's Superman issue 1, I'm a big fan of the marriage of Lois and Clark/Superman, and I'm overall digging the hell out of Bendis' Superman and Action Comics run.

*insert dramatic anime close up here* "gasp, how in the world can one being like multiple interpretations of the same idea without exploding!!"

Wonder what my power level is??
    I’m of the same mind as you. Really liked Tomasi’s Superman run outside of Vol. 5 which I thought was terrible and Super Sons. But I also far prefer Bendis Action and Andrekyo Supergirl To Jurgens Action and Orlando Supergirl, so I’m enjoying stuff from both areas. Honestly if not for the Jon age-up this would be my favorite SuperEra since Morrison Action Comics. We’ll see if Bendis can maintain that.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Something along those lines would be nice, sure.
    Lmao Bendis will never say that but something like that did end up happening with the O5 X-Men, so you might get your wish from DC.

You know that comment from Bendis really confirms the opinion I already had of him. A good writer is able to take in criticism. If people are "yelling" at you about something maybe, just maybe you should take that into consideration instead of brushing it off to the side. It might help better his work. Personally I just think he's a subpar writer. Frankly I always have never really got the hype for him. I've read quite a few runs by him too.

Also again the problem with his writing isn't the ideas. His execution is just God awful in damn near everything he writes. Example go back to his marvel work hey let's make Iceman gay in the last 2 issues of my run and leave that bomb for another author, hey The 05 X-men can't leave and must stay forever with no apparent reason as to why but let's leave that for another author to fix!! Ect

It doesn't matter how good an idea is in theory if you can't sell your readers on it. Then it's doomed to fail especially when it's such controversial change too. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    You know that comment from Bendis really confirms the opinion I already had of him. A good writer is able to take in criticism. If people are "yelling" at you about something maybe, just maybe you should take that into consideration instead of brushing it off to the side. It might help better his work. Personally I just think he's a subpar writer. Frankly I always have never really got the hype for him. I've read quite a few runs by him too.

Also again the problem with his writing isn't the ideas. His execution is just God awful in damn near everything he writes. Example go back to his marvel work hey let's make Iceman gay in the last 2 issues of my run and leave that bomb for another author, hey The 05 X-men can't leave and must stay forever with no apparent reason as to why but let's leave that for another author to fix!! Ect

It doesn't matter how good an idea is in theory if you can't sell your readers on it. Then it's doomed to fail especially when it's such controversial change too. *shrugs*
    So Tomasi should’ve listened to the New 52 fans who were angry and complained about them killing off New 52 Superman and annulled the Superman/WW relationship?

People complain about literally anything and everything. No matter what you do someone is going to complain. Note that I don’t actually like the Jon age up, and I do hope for it’s undoing or reversal, but I felt like a point needed to be made. Writers don’t listen to fandoms complaining about comics on the Internet unless sales get severely impacted.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So Tomasi should’ve listened to the New 52 fans who were angry and complained about them killing off New 52 Superman and annulled the Superman/WW relationship?

People complain about literally anything and everything. No matter what you do someone is going to complain. Note that I don’t actually like the Jon age up, and I do hope for it’s undoing or reversal, but I felt like a point needed to be made. Writers don’t listen to fandoms complaining about comics on the Internet unless sales get severely impacted.
    But it's about the manner of going about it. The whole "grown ups who care about aging up Jon" comment seems a disrespectful way of acknowledging criticism. Like it should be beneath us to care. It came off to me as a little obnoxious. As far as I know, Tomasi never made comments like that about the New 52 fans.
    Currently Reading: