Page 407 of 613 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417457507 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,105 of 9194

I'm not going to make any judgments on someone in regards to their ability just because of something they might say. Tomasi cheesed me off way back when we he answered a question from a fan of New 52 Superman about him coming back with "This (Rebirth Superman) is the Superman you should love." Flippant answer? Absolutely. Doesn't mean it revealed anything about his ability as a writer. He just said something condescending. It annoyed a group of fans but whatever, its said and we move on. People can be condescending at times. And to be fair these people probably get A LOT of the same questions over and over and over. No one's going to be perfect about it every time. So from personal experience I get a fan being irked over a flippant response, but I think it goes a little too far to infer anything into it in regards to his character and ability as a writer.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-07-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: fixed, wrong guy cited
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Brother, if I were a pro I'd refuse to do cons or interviews. I'd be as hard to find as Moore.

I love our fandom sometimes, but I have very little patience and dislike people as a general principal (it sounds way more cranky than it is; I just prefer the company of a select few) and I'd hate having to interact with fans; asking the same questions, making the same requests that I either have no power over or no interest in, throwing accusations around about stuff when they don't know the whole story or how the industry actually functions, judging books before the first issues have even come out.......we must be an absolute pain in the ass to deal with.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I recall Dan Slott made similar kind of comments when talking about his decision to kill off an alternate universe version of Peter Parker during Spider-Verse (MC2 Peter, the father of Mayday Parker, aka Spider-Girl). He couldn't believe how grown men could be so attached to a character that was not even the main star from the main timeline.

..He wound up resurrecting him in 2018.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

No one think he's primarily just talking about the irony that grown folks--who are obviously the ones being vocal about it-- wanting a character less close to their age? I mean, he said it was interesting, so I read it as him being kind of surprised by it rather than condescending. That was my reading anyway. But I mean, that's not the only reading, clearly.

What I zeroed in waaaay harder on was "there's a story being told that we think will be additive to that thing you liked about him, a big one. And we haven't gotten to the big reveals yet, but we're getting there. By the end of the 'Unity Saga,' Jon's purpose will be fully revealed." I'm guessing one of the reveals will be the Legion, but I'm fascinated by the idea of more reveals beyond that to come.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

As someone not thrilled about the development in theory, it makes me wonder who is "yelling." just how mad are people getting over this before we really have seen it through?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not going to make any judgments on someone in regards to their ability just because of something they might say. Mahnke cheesed me off way back when we he answered a question from a fan of New 52 Superman about him coming back with "This (Rebirth Superman) is the Superman you should love."
    Wasn't it Tomasi? That bit of dialogue is strangely elusive on Google.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

Bendis will blow off criticism because he knows he's not leaving the books until he wants to, no matter how much his sales keep dropping.

Bendis' sales aren't bad. Superman is a top 20 or top 25 book. Action is in the top 30. Superman is one of DC's top books after Batman, Justice League, and the event books. And it's second best selling solo title. With the exception of No. 11 (Justice League 20, which had 3 covers) nos. 12-20 are all selling in the 50k range. For Superman to be charting where it is, in the comic market as it is now, is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    As someone not thrilled about the development in theory, it makes me wonder who is "yelling." just how mad are people getting over this before we really have seen it through?

Wasn't it Tomasi? That bit of dialogue is strangely elusive on Google.
    Oops yes, it was Tomasi, thanks for catching the mistake. I had art on the brain at the time I wrote that or something, heh.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Found this relevant since Bendis used him a bit...Adam Strange is getting his own animated short

https://www.newsarama.com/45078-new-...eath-more.html

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Bendis' sales aren't bad. Superman is a top 20 or top 25 book. Action is in the top 30. Superman is one of DC's top books after Batman, Justice League, and the event books. And it's second best selling solo title. With the exception of No. 11 (Justice League 20, which had 3 covers) nos. 12-20 are all selling in the 50k range. For Superman to be charting where it is, in the comic market as it is now, is solid.
    Chart position is a relative thing, and is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. The market is poor now, which I think everyone agrees on.

He's lost readers with every issue of Superman and Action except one. Now, I can grant that part of that is related to the poor market, since the chart positions are roughly the same despite the drops, but he's trending the wrong way.

Again, though, it doesn't matter - those who like his stuff don't have to worry, because he's not going to be replaced until he chooses to be.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Brian Bendis On Young Justice And How His Children Have Impacted His Writing: https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...e-inspiration/

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    Chart position is a relative thing, and is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. The market is poor now, which I think everyone agrees on.

He's lost readers with every issue of Superman and Action except one. Now, I can grant that part of that is related to the poor market, since the chart positions are roughly the same despite the drops, but he's trending the wrong way.

Again, though, it doesn't matter - those who like his stuff don't have to worry, because he's not going to be replaced until he chooses to be.
    I haven't paid super-close attention to the sales lately but from what I've seen the drop off from issue to issue looks like standard market atrophy to me. I haven't noticed any drops that're larger than what you see on other titles.

Unless someone has the data that shows sales percentages are dropping faster than the industry norm I really dont think Bendis' run is doing badly. It's not changing the face of the market or doing tremendously better than the previous creative teams did but it's doing well for Superman in this market, from what I've seen.

But again, I haven't crunched the numbers, so if the percentage drops are higher than usual someone educate me to that fact.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post

I think this is kinda backwards. Without the context of the overall market, individual sales numbers are essentially meaningless. If Bendis' run was selling 50K copies an issue, but charting in the 70's it wouldn't be doing very good relative to the market. Same with losing readers. That's basically the trajectory of almost every single book, even giant event books lose 10's of thousands of copies over their runs. So like Ascended said, even if he is losing some it really only is bad if he's losing more than everyone else. But that seems to have leveled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I haven't paid super-close attention to the sales lately but from what I've seen the drop off from issue to issue looks like standard market atrophy to me. I haven't noticed any drops that're larger than what you see on other titles.

Unless someone has the data that shows sales percentages are dropping faster than the industry norm I really dont think Bendis' run is doing badly. It's not changing the face of the market or doing tremendously better than the previous creative teams did but it's doing well for Superman in this market, from what I've seen.

But again, I haven't crunched the numbers, so if the percentage drops are higher than usual someone educate me to that fact.
    I'm not a math guy but it seems to be essentially in line with the market. Superman dropped 3,495 copies from December to March, a little over 6%. (It moved up the charts a bit, going from 24 to 21). Batman in contrast dropped 6,812, which about 7.5%. Heroes in Crisis, probably the only book more people online seem to hate more, dropped 5,201 copies from November through March, also about a 6% drop. All seems pretty consistent across the board. Books like Amazing Spider-Man also seem to have dropped about 6% in the same stretch, going from 79,799 to 74,466, again a drop of about 6%. And from what I see, Spencer's run is pretty popular.

Couple of more data points, Green Lantern dropped 16,800 copies from December to March. That's going from issue #2 to #5, so that's the new run drop rather than atrophy. But even then the drop from February to March was about 3150 copies, around 5%. And that's again a really well received book from what I've seen on Twitter and other places. In contrast Superman dropped about 1550 copies or 3% between February and March, from 50,475 to 48,919.

Venom dropped only about 3.5% from December to March, around 2150 copies.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Video interview with BMB:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Video interview with BMB:

rofl, 4chan mention.