Page 41 of 613 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hooah View Post
    Quick bonus question: . . . All current series by DC are put out in trade paperbacks yes? And is there a place online where I can see upcoming trade paperback Superman releases?
    About the idea that "all current series by DC are put out in trade paperbacks", the answer these days is "typically", though how quickly they get released may vary. For example, SUPERMAN VOL. 5: HOPES AND FEARS is currently due out April 11th.
    It is suppose to contain the stories originally published in individual issues #27-32, and issue #32 was originally released October 4th, 2017.
    One other thing: depending on where you buy your trade paperbacks from, the release dates may vary. If you buy directly through a direct sales comic book shop, SUPERMAN VOL. 5 is being released April 11th. If you buy it through a regular book store site like amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, it's not available until April 17, 2018.
    Also worth mentioning: all of the above applies to the United States; I don't know if there might be differences in availability dates for other countries.

I'm really excited for Reis on Superman, y'all. I know he's gonna need fill ins at some point though, I just hope he doesn't get bounced around to another title after a short time on the book. I wanted him to have a nice, long run on JLA, but, that didn't happen.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Giving Bendis singular control over a character like Superman is still a bad idea in my view. You either have to like Bendis or be unaware of his work to give him a chance. If you don't like Bendis but like reading Superman, there's no alternative for those fans at the moment. It's either Bendis or nothing.
    I have no doubt DC will publish more stories with superman without Bendis writing in the next few years, whether it be something like those out of continuity digital superman comics or a spinoff book. I really think you guys are overreacting with their being no alternatives, we even have those graphic novels coming up like superman smashing the klan. And I'm sure we will get backup stories or annuals with other writers eventually as well. Plus the Justice League book will likely feature superman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I have no doubt DC will publish more stories with superman without Bendis writing in the next few years, whether it be something like those out of continuity digital superman comics or a spinoff book. I really think you guys are overreacting with their being no alternatives, we even have those graphic novels coming up like superman smashing the klan. And I'm sure we will get backup stories or annuals with other writers eventually as well. Plus the Justice League book will likely feature superman as well.
    Yes, but some of us are more interested in the in-universe-continuity stories that Bendis will now be in control of. I'll see what his story in Action Comics #1000 is like, but the main reason I had gotten interested in Superman again in the past two years was because of the work done by Dan Jurgens. A Brian Bendis-controlled Superman/Action Comics doesn't sound right now like it'll be what I'm looking for, but I could be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yes, but some of us are more interested in the in-universe-continuity stories that Bendis will now be in control of. I'll see what his story in Action Comics #1000 is like, but the main reason I had gotten interested in Superman again in the past two years was because of the work done by Dan Jurgens. A Brian Bendis-controlled Superman/Action Comics doesn't sound right now like it'll be what I'm looking for, but I could be surprised.
    Like I said, Justice League and other books will still feature superman if you want a in continuity take that isn't Bendis.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 02-18-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Like I said, Justice League and other books wills till feature superman if you want a in continuity take that isn't Bendis.
    DC has made overtures....based on trials and tribulations of the past seven years, in getting Superman on a more dignified (the right) track - I'm especially intrigued with his plans to delve into Clark Kent side of the character's inner workings, putting Clark's fact finding, information gathering and inductive reasoning to good use (like a good mystery), then calling on his prowess as "Superman" to handle and "mop up" the situation!

To sum it up - it would be the duality of the "Clark Kent (the investigator) / Superman (the enforcer)" character coming into play - both sides with responsibility, and both sides sharing the spot light in a delicate balancing act....leading to the outcome.

Like I said, Justice League and other books will still feature superman if you want a in continuity take that isn't Bendis.
    Oh, goody . . . other books I currently have no interest in buying.
    Gee, thanks DC!

(F.Y.I., the only DC books I still buy these days are Batgirl, New Super-Man, and Action Comics. I had been buying Wonder Woman, but Robinson's initial arc with Grail, Darkseid, and brother Jason was enough to drop that title until a new, decent writer takes over. I'll try Terrifics, but I really don't think Snyder on Justice League will get me to buy that book again.)

Oh, goody . . . other books I currently have no interest in buying.
    Gee, thanks DC!

(F.Y.I., the only DC books I still buy these days are Batgirl, New Super-Man, and Action Comics. I had been buying Wonder Woman, but Robinson's initial arc with Grail, Darkseid, and brother Jason was enough to drop that title until a new, decent writer takes over. I'll try Terrifics, but I really don't think Snyder on Justice League will get me to buy that book again.)
    If you aren't planning on buying action comics when bendis comes on board, you can just switch out titles. I don't get the confusion here.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I'm really excited for Reis on Superman, y'all. I know he's gonna need fill ins at some point though, I just hope he doesn't get bounced around to another title after a short time on the book. I wanted him to have a nice, long run on JLA, but, that didn't happen.
    Me too. Right now it sounds like this is going to be the title to appeal to me most. I'm definitely trying both, but Superman will have the better artist (imo) and hopefully feature a less grounded approach than Action. Which is more up my alley (not that a grounded approach isn't, so long as there's a clear balance).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Giving Bendis singular control over a character like Superman is still a bad idea in my view. You either have to like Bendis or be unaware of his work to give him a chance. If you don't like Bendis but like reading Superman, there's no alternative for those fans at the moment. It's either Bendis or nothing.
    To be fair though, situations like that can easily arise at any time regardless of this particular situation where a writer has both books. I mean, I can point to my own personal experience since Rebirth started to attest to that. Both titles had different writers and different focuses, yet I was into pretty much neither. For nearly two years now I've felt largely left out in the cold with no alternative. So really there's often times going to be situations where there will be certain fans who aren't feeling anything going on in the main verse, regardless of set up. This is exacerbated in the current DC climate where there's absolutely no side-projects for Superman being released. No Elseworlds, no digital series like we had during the New 52 with AOS and Smallville, etc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If you aren't planning on buying action comics when bendis comes on board, you can just switch out titles. I don't get the confusion here.
    I guess you're the one confused, since I'm not.

Let me put things simply:
    (1.) I like Jurgens on Action Comics. It was his work on Superman: Lois & Clark that got me interested in Superman again. (George Pérez also was good at the start of the New52 but DC mishandled things so badly that it drove Pérez away.)
    (2.) If Jurgens is being removed from Action Comics to make room for Bendis, there is really no other books with Superman I'm aware of that sound like I'd be interested.
    (3.) No Jurgens = I don't care about Superman anymore.
    Does that make things clearer?

I guess you're the one confused, since I'm not.

Let me put things simply:
    (1.) I like Jurgens on Action Comics. It was his work on Superman: Lois & Clark that got me interested in Superman again. (George Pérez also was good at the start of the New52 but DC mishandled things so badly that it drove Pérez away.)
    (2.) If Jurgens is being removed from Action Comics to make room for Bendis, there is really no other books with Superman I'm aware of that sound like I'd be interested.
    (3.) No Jurgens = I don't care about Superman anymore.
    Does that make things clearer?
    The complaint was about there not being options for other Superman books that Bendis wasn't writing, I was suggesting a title featuring Superman. If it's stricly Jurgens not being on the title anymore that's stopping you from caring, that's a weird reason to stop reading. I'm sure I don't have to point this out, but there are many great Superman stories not written by Jurgens, it's weird him not being on a title leads you to caring.

The complaint was about there not being options for other Superman books that Bendis wasn't writing, I was suggesting a title featuring Superman. If it's stricly Jurgens not being on the title anymore that's stopping you from caring, that's a weird reason to stop reading. I'm sure I don't have to point this out, but there are many great Superman stories not written by Jurgens, it's weird him not being on a title leads you to caring.
    You don't seem to comprehend this: I am unhappy with most of DC Comics current writers.
    What is so difficult about that concept for you to understand?
    I'm buying very few DC Comics at present. In general, they are not producing what I'm truly interested in. I keep hoping that will change soon, but I'm losing patience with them. Last time I gave up on buying comic books regularly, that generally lasted for about fifteen years before I began to regularly buy DC books again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    DC has made overtures....based on trials and tribulations of the past seven years, in getting Superman on a more dignified (the right) track - I'm especially intrigued with his plans to delve into Clark Kent side of the character's inner workings, putting Clark's fact finding, information gathering and inductive reasoning to good use (like a good mystery), then calling on his prowess as "Superman" to handle and "mop up" the situation!

To sum it up - it would be the duality of the "Clark Kent (the investigator) / Superman (the enforcer)" character coming into play - both sides with responsibility, and both sides sharing the spot light in a delicate balancing act....leading to the outcome.
    Honestly, this was probably the best thing Bendis could have said to make me want to check out his work.

The duality of Clark-Superman is central to the mythos. It doesn't have to be highlighted in every issue or even every story, but it needs to be there. Clark Kent has to matter as a character unto himself. Superman has to matter as a character unto himself. Together, (you know what I mean) its the best superhero on earth. But when that balance is thrown off? You end up with a useless Clark Kent or a Superman so shallow he matters only as a mascot and the character as a whole suffers greatly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Bendis is now also working on a sequel to his how-to-write comics book.

Stretched out even thinner.