Page 420 of 613 FirstFirst ... 320370410416417418419420421422423424430470520 ... LastLast
Results 6,286 to 6,300 of 9194
    Incredible Member

The so this came out of the Man of Steel mini that I did read and I have to say that I found it to be WAY out of character for any parent to allow their child to go with someone who their last interaction with was adversarial. Superman saw how Jor El was disputing the Oz effect. He knew he wasn’t behaving ina manner that was consistent with what he knew from his records, papers, and even times spent time traveling and meeting him. He knew Oz had kryptonite lodged in his eye which it would be safe to assume would cause some sort of issue and based off of the behavioral issues, that would probably be mental. Also, Lois and Clark may end up in a lot of crazy situations but prior to this instance, I wouldn’t say they were irresponsible parents by any means. So, I think them letting Jon head out into space with Jor El after he’d already been acting crazy was definitely out of character and probably one of the most forced things I’ve seen in comics in a long time.
    Now, all that being said, I’m trying to look past it and enjoy the Superman titles. There are problems that I hope eventually get worked out but I do have concerns going in and this poor handling of the superfamily was a huge reason for my trepidation going into the on goings.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But they *do* have context to trust him. Clark has access to the Fortress' database so he's seen Jor-El records; papers published, headlines, criminal record, whatever. As the planet's lead scientist I'm sure there was plenty to document. Clark also has personal recordings and interactive holograms programmed with Jor-El's personality and memories that he's spent a lot of time with. Clark has stories from Kara, who knew Jor-El as a (albeit estranged) uncle. Not to mention the fact that Jor sent Clark into space to save him in the first place. Clark hasn't spent any real time at all face-to-face with his father, but Clark really does have reason to believe he knows a good deal about Jor-El. Obviously he didn't know everything (like the fact that Jor is mentally ill) and obviously all that kicked him in the ass, but for Clark? This was pretty standard parenting. The fact that it was a mistake to let Jon go (given how things turned out) isn't a mistake in the writing, it's Clark and Lois making a mistake because they're really flawed and far from perfect parents who have habitually made questionable choices with their son.

The only real logic jump, and it's not even a huge one given what the life of an El is like, is what happened to Jor after he disappeared. That's most definitely a question Clark and Lois should've and would've been asking. Whether Bendis could actually answer that question because of Doomsday Clock or not, it should've been addressed *somehow.* But that's really the only chink in the character work.

Like I've said, this whole thing needed to be fleshed out more to really sell it, but it's all there, like Superlad said, in the text as well as subtext. I never thought I'd say this about Bendis but he should've given this story an extra issue to breathe. But the structure? Far as I'm concerned it all tracks with what I expect from Superman. I'm sorry you (and others) aren't enjoying it. I'd rather everyone were happy with the titles. But saying its out of character? Nah, I dont see it. Clark's a loving but irresponsible parent. >shrug<
    That is not true. How is this standard parenting for clark?rebirth clark being irresponsible parent is normal?
    As i said, rebirth clark has consistently tried to be responsible with his child as much as he can,but was dealt with a shitty hand. Jon had Clark's supervision always when it came to his extracurricular activities. He struggled with having to balance giving a normal life to jon and jon's superhuman existence/reality and risks that come from it. I have never felt clark was ever irresponsible with jon. He and lois might have been one of the best comic book parents.

Recording, data from a computer is not enough material to trust someone with your son. Especially, if the character has done some shady stuff in your last encounter. Having said that, he sent lois with jon. Someone clark does trust and someone clark knows can hold her own/take care of herself and jon. Clark also gave them equipments for protection and was given the means for communication. So i guess, it isn't Clark's fault . Lois leaving jon in space is the questionable action.

The questionable action is Clark's decision to not inform the league or the green lantern corps about his missing child and wife. As far as, i am concerned that was the irresponsible choice. If you are searching for your family who you lost, why wouldn't you inform the authorities in this situation . Especially, if one of the space police is your friend and was asking about his family's well being. He didn't also ask his friends in the league and decide to go to space alone in search without a plan, like an idiot. These action aren't just irresponsible, but downright idiotic.
    See,i gave upon questioning clois parenting choices since Bendis's takeover. Since, they are uncharacteristically stupid.I don't think iam the only one who thinks so.
    https://www.superherohype.com/comics...lS3HGblY2Ue.99
    The only reason lois is in there is Bendis's run. Anyways, i just want to see how they react to the situation now.

Anyway...

Screenshot_20190603-021832_Twitter.jpg

Is Bendis referring to that United Planets thing or something else or is United Planets just one of the many things that are gonna be added...
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-02-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Anyway...

Screenshot_20190603-021832_Twitter.jpg

Is Bendis referring to that United Planets thing or something else or is United Planets just one of the many things that are gonna be added...
    He's talking about the Legion of Super Hereos.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post

I wonder if geoff johns involved in this. Since, the legion is very much important in the doomsday clock.
    Edit-jon really doesn't fit with these guys. I hope it's a new generation of legion, if jon and s going to be part of it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-03-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I wonder if geoff johns involved in this. Since, the legion is very much important in the doomsday clock.
    Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Tbh while it does seem like the Legion is being brought back most likely by Bendis I wasn't sure if it would be done in the Superman book outside of just maybe some foundational work, so if this is what Bendis means I will be pleasantly surprised.

Also is Tom King gonna acknowledge his use of Saturn Girl and try to resolve that.

Edit-jon really doesn't fit with these guys. I hope it's a new generation of legion, if jon and s going to be part of it.
    You know what I actually would be down for Jon with a new generation of Legionnaires but that will most likely not be the case.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

double post.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Tbh while it does seem like the Legion is being brought back most likely by Bendis I wasn't sure if it would be done in the Superman book outside of just maybe some foundational work, so if this is what Bendis means I will be pleasantly surprised.

Also is Tom King gonna acknowledge his use of Saturn Girl and try to resolve that.

You know what I actually would be down for Jon with a new generation of Legionnaires but that will most likely not be the case.
    Tom King and the rest of the writers at DC rarely acknowledges anything he does, thankfully.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Brian Michael Bendis On How and Why Leviathan Will Change the DC Universe: https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...-true-mission/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Brian Michael Bendis On How and Why Leviathan Will Change the DC Universe: https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...-true-mission/
    He said Rogol Zaar would be a "new kind of villain", but he's bland. And the "great family changes" he's made are controversial, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    He said Rogol Zaar would be a "new kind of villain", but he's bland. And the "great family changes" he's made are controversial, to say the least.
    Well, in his defense Zaar is a new kind of villain......in that he's some sort of.....I dunno, jihadist? Not a ton of those in Superman lore. A few, but not a ton. Not quite like this. I mean, he's been an awful, boring, redundant villain thus far but his motivation is sorta-kinda new. New-ish, anyway.

And the family changes are definitely controversial (and deservedly so) but any big change always is.

Im not saying these haven't been problematic or anything, but "technically" Bendis isn't wrong.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't see anything about Superman in this interview for this statement to be brought up unless you're making some kind of connection with what was said without disclosing what that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    When Bendis says some heroes are gonna find a new purpose my first thought was Green Arrow since his book was cancelled b/c of all things going on at DC.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-04-2019 at 08:01 PM.

I wonder, if the question will be given a new purpose. I wanted some more interactions between him and superman, maybe even a team up. Since, Bendis's question is pretty good.also, it's obvious lois will get a new direction from this event.
    I am starting to think the theory that Damian being leviathan is right. Why didn't talia tell clark who he is? What was she saying about her son before getting thrown off? Talia knows damian has pretty much abandoned her and doesn't like what she is part of now. So, why would she think Damian will take revenge for her.

I wonder, if the question will be given a new purpose. I wanted some more interactions between him and superman, maybe even a team up. Since, Bendis's question is pretty good.also, it's obvious lois will get a new direction from this event.
    I am starting to think the theory that Damian being leviathan is right. Why didn't talia tell clark who he is? What was she saying about her son before getting thrown off? Talia knows damian has pretty much abandoned her and doesn't like what she is part of now. So, why would she think Damian will take revenge for her.
    Because she's still his mother? I mean, Talia is a monster but if someone killed her I wouldn't be surprised to see Damian take that real personally and want to bring the killer down.

As for why she didn't tell Clark.....it could be that she doesn't know who Leviathan is (seems unlikely to me, but we don't know much about how Leviathan rose to power, do we?). Or maybe she wasn't willing to give the heroes that much of an advantage (old habits die hard and she's still an al'Ghul to the bitter end?). Or maybe she didn't think Superman would be able to do anything with the information even if he had it, like that old JLU scene where Lex takes over Flash's body and unmasks and all he has to say is "I have no idea who this is."

After reading the one-shot, I don't feel like this is Damian. The speech pattern is very different from how Damian is usually written and the effort of extending an olive branch to people doesn't strike me as a very "Damian" type of thing to do. Isn't he usually more of a blunt instrument?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.