Page 436 of 613 FirstFirst ... 336386426432433434435436437438439440446486536 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,540 of 9194
    Astonishing Member

I'm quite curious to see Bendis' take on the Super Sons. If it bombs, I'll be grateful it was only for an issue or two and move on to the next issue. (edit: SS isn't the be all or end all of my Super books). I'm not of the habit of knocking something until I've at least tried it and even then, I don't go in with a preconceived notion that I will like or hate it. I know Bendis is far from well liked (talk about an understatement) but I have yet to be burnt by anything he's done since I started reading comics, I guess I'm more lenient towards him. Obviously others have a different experience with him, it is what it is.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 06-25-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I know Bendis is far from well liked (talk about an understatement).
    Is he?
    I mean, he can be divisive and not all of his works at Marvel were well-accepted. But he is multi-awarded writer who played a huge role in restructuring Marvel (more than anyone else, I'd say), very appreciated among his fellow writers and artists, and with many fans. I mean, it's not that just because there are very vocal readers who hate him and post their hate on social network that Bendis becomes... Well, something worse than Bendis.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

I'm just going by message boards alone, it seems like he's hated quite a bit. Obviously that's not entirely the case, I've got nothing against the guy. I think he's got some great ideas (I'm hoping he sticks the landing but I know he hasn't in some cases) some of his ideas haven't been all that fantastic but I'm will to ride this train a bit longer just to see where it goes.

Listening to the Word Balloon Q&A, Bendis explains that part of the reason for the age up is that Bendis feels that the best parts of the family dynamic were the weirder parts. Basically he feels the same way that Ascended does, that Superman shouldn’t have the “ordinary” perfect family life, and he wanted to give Superman a relatable problem but at a Superman-tier scale. In this case it’s missing out on part of your kid’s development but because it’s Superman the reason he misses out is because his son got trapped by his alternate evil counterpart captured his son and held him prisoner. Basically no different from the Morrison perspective of “you take your kid for a walk around the block while Superman takes his dog around the solar system”. Also he basically says that Jon is going to be going with the LoSH and that was also part of the age up.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...ob-in-history/

The comixology sale helped a lot Superman Bendis comics as well as collections

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I'm just going by message boards alone, it seems like he's hated quite a bit.
    Even by the Marvel demos here at the tail end of his time at Marvel. And also judging by sales of some of his books like Defenders.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I’m not trying to come off as hostile with my reply, but what did you expect him to say? “I know I wrote Jon terribly, I agree everyone should boycott my books”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s the same song and dance every time with you Sam.

“Why doesn’t Bendis apologize? Why does he keep acting like this is a good thing? Doesn’t he get that I and many others don’t like this?”

Yes he knows people don’t like it. No he’s not going to apologize for it. Yes he does in fact think it’s a good idea, otherwise why would he have done it? After Bendis has left the book years down the line he may look back and say that was a mistake. He has said that looking back he feels bad about some of his Avengers choices, but he never apologized for any decision he made while on the Avengers book, because writers aren’t going to say their work sucks while they’re still writing the book. This is standard fare for every writer on an ongoing. He’s never ever going to say aging up Jon was a bad idea while he’s still on the book, so stop waiting for him to do so.
    Okay, guys. Don’t put words in my mouth. Seriously. At no point in my post did I say I am expecting Bendis to apologize for anything or admit that his Jon writing sucks. So don’t say that I am. Just don’t. It’s just going to lead to arguments.

What I did say is that Bendis’s vision of Jon is disconnected from what I think a lot of his fans want for the character and I am frustrated by that because it lessens the chance of me finding anything to enjoy with his run on Jon. Vordan, as you mentioned, Bendis mentions certain aspects of the Superman family from the Rebirth runs that he enjoyed and it sounds like stuff like Our Town (my favorite Superman issue ever) is an example of what Bendis was less into. That means he and I are coming from very different perspectives of what we want and hence what’s going to happen with Jon. And that is frustrating.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Heavy focus on Jon in recent interviews is a really bad omen to me. PLEASE don't go overboard with him Bendis. Even if a lot of it is Legion-based, it'll still get just as old just as fast as it did when Tomasi did it. Action is already the better book, but Superman has some potentially interesting elements going for it and I'd hate to have to drop it because it became Superboy again instead of Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Okay, guys. Don’t put words in my mouth. Seriously. At no point in my post did I say I am expecting Bendis to apologize for anything or admit that his Jon writing sucks. So don’t say that I am. Just don’t. It’s just going to lead to arguments.

What I did say is that Bendis’s vision of Jon is disconnected from what I think a lot of his fans want for the character and I am frustrated by that because it lessens the chance of me finding anything to enjoy with his run on Jon. Vordan, as you mentioned, Bendis mentions certain aspects of the Superman family from the Rebirth runs that he enjoyed and it sounds like stuff like Our Town (my favorite Superman issue ever) is an example of what Bendis was less into. That means he and I are coming from very different perspectives of what we want and hence what’s going to happen with Jon. And that is frustrating.
    I liked Our Town a lot too, but when Tomasi did the Kent Family Vacation Trip that was the lowest point of the book for me because of how boring it was to me. So I do partly agree with Bendis that the Superfamily really shines when it goes towards the weird rather than the ordinary. One of my favorite arcs was the Bizarro arc because you had Kathy and Jon exploring the Multiverse for fun, that’s honestly the kind of stuff that I like with the Superfamily.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Few more members of the Legion confirmed. Mon-El confirmed to be part of the team.

Makes me wonder how Bendis is gonna play Mon-El's origin now that this is a reboot and the very first time the Legion Clark and his family?

Since Bendis calls this his Ultimate Legion of Super-Heroes in the same respect as Ultimate Spider-Man, I have to imagine there's an 'Ultimate' take on it like how there was an Ultimate take on Spider-Woman (Jess Drew) and Scarlet Spider.

Descendent in the 32nd century? Random draxamite? Clone?

I also really, really dig that characters like Sun Boy, Star Boy, and even Blok look noticably more alien. Solves an ii

https://mobile.twitter.com/NomadicJa...103169/photo/1
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-25-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

I liked Our Town a lot too, but when Tomasi did the Kent Family Vacation Trip that was the lowest point of the book for me because of how boring it was to me. So I do partly agree with Bendis that the Superfamily really shines when it goes towards the weird rather than the ordinary. One of my favorite arcs was the Bizarro arc because you had Kathy and Jon exploring the Multiverse for fun, that’s honestly the kind of stuff that I like with the Superfamily.
    You may have liked Our Town, but Bendis specifically called out anything that any family can do. Going to fair would seem to qualify. And despite all the weird, the Bizarro arc was grounded in some very realistic and relatable ideas as well. The whole sequence with Jon trying to sleep in Metropolis and the family dinner was amazing with Jon getting all awkward over Kathy. Plus, the epilogue of that had the family deal with moving and revisiting the fair. Everything weird was attached to something very real and normal and it made everything feel very relatable. That balance made the Superfamily shine. Bendis hasn't done that. He's doubled down on the weird and taking away the grounding Jon was built on.

I'm happy to talk this out with you, but seriously, your post before annoyed me. I just want to make sure we're clear that being glib with me for saying something I didn't in fact say is not okay. If your frustrated with Jon fans complaining that's fine, but don't take it out on me (though I realize that also may not be what was happening from your perspective). I have a right to voice my opinion and frustrations as much as anyone else on here. Your arguments are well-reasoned and well-argued and I respect your right to feel the way you do and you're usually do the same, but I just want to make sure we're good on that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Listening to the Word Balloon Q&A, Bendis explains that part of the reason for the age up is that Bendis feels that the best parts of the family dynamic were the weirder parts. Basically he feels the same way that Ascended does, that Superman shouldn’t have the “ordinary” perfect family life, and he wanted to give Superman a relatable problem but at a Superman-tier scale.
    Which is probably why I'm enjoying Bendis' work as much as I am; he's got that Morrison-ian "life on a Super scale" thing going on. As much as I liked Tomasi's work, he just didn't really go there. In my mind, this whole age-up thing? It's no different than sending your kid to summer camp, and when they get home they've hit a growth spurt and discovered a bunch of new interests and you missed the whole thing. Speaking as a parent who has experienced that, it hurts knowing you missed that stuff (my wife and I both missed our daughter's first steps, and five years later I'm still pissed about that). But its Superman, so the scale is just cranked up by a factor of 100.

And that's certainly why some fans are taking issue with what Bendis has done. They want that little core of normality at the center of Clark's life.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Whatever Bendis says, Jon's age-up smells of editorial asking to make the kid more independent from his parents and free Clark from playing "Superdad".

Is it petty that the only reason I no longer entertain this series is due to Jon's scar? It fucking bugs me!!! Why is it there???? And yeah I just can't with this legion ****. Like I have never heard of this team and the fact that all this bad writing with Jon was just to ship him off with a bunch of randoms bugs me Superman as a whole is just mess at this point I have no idea WTF is goin on.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Whatever Bendis says, Jon's age-up smells of editorial asking to make the kid more independent from his parents and free Clark from playing "Superdad".
    I still stand by my own theory that Didio was planning on doing something drastic with Jon whether Bendis came to Superman or not.