Page 451 of 613 FirstFirst ... 351401441447448449450451452453454455461501551 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 9194
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is it just me? I don't see the difference that sam is talking about. As for the scar it comes and goes. The slang was barely in issue. It was not even that noticeable for me.
    Jon's voice was decent and better during the man of steel series and was the best during a flashback that clark had(the one where jon is being too lazy to go to school). His adult jon is too stiff,less emotive and less energetic for me.jon should be a bundle of joy. So,yeah! His Jon needs work. I am just scared for the reunion issue. I hope it isn't farewell issue And it is actually good. Action comics, i don't need to comment.it has been wayy better that this drag fest unity saga.
    You misunderstand what I'm saying if you think I'm using this to criticize Bendis (there are many other things I would use if I was criticizing Bendis's use of Jon). This is small stuff, but it does seem to be a pattern, which makes me curious about it. How Bendis is approaching this aspects and whether he's changing his mind later or whatever. I'm interested in what these things say about how he writes comics or Jon, or whether it says anything at all. It's interesting.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Is it just me? I don't see the difference that sam is talking about. As for the scar it comes and goes. The slang was barely in issue. It was not even that noticeable for me.
    Jon's voice was decent and better during the man of steel series and was the best during a flashback that clark had(the one where jon is being too lazy to go to school). His adult jon is too stiff,less emotive and less energetic for me.jon should be a bundle of joy. So,yeah! His Jon needs work. I am just scared for the reunion issue. I hope it isn't farewell issue And it is actually good. Action comics, i don't need to comment.it has been wayy better that this drag fest unity saga.
    I hope it is a farewell issue. Just because Jon’s been sucked into this stupidity, doesn’t mean he has to drag Damian down with him. And as far as I’m concerned teen Jon offers Damian nothing that Dick, Jason or Tim can’t.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I hope it is a farewell issue. Just because Jon’s been sucked into this stupidity, doesn’t mean he has to drag Damian down with him. And as far as I’m concerned teen Jon offers Damian nothing that Dick, Jason or Tim can’t.
    Well, getting along with Damian is something Tim and Jason don't offer (at all). So, I don't understand why people use these characters to dismiss the relationship between Damian and Teen Jon.

Dick and Damian have a good relationship, but the relation between Jon and Damian would be different. As Jon and Dick still have big age gap.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-23-2019 at 11:26 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I think it qualifies as quite a while into the run. If stuff is weird, it's perfectly fair to comment on it and wonder about his writing process.
    I don't. Especially not with Bendis who both likes a slow burn, and is known to be on a book for quite some time.

I'm just saying based on what we've seen in the issues we've already read, I don't see reason to believe that.
    And that's totally cool. No grudges held. But I think I do.

that's weird set-up
    I don't think so. I think the set-up itself is just the idea that Jon is now pretty well traveled in space.

And the joke you proposed doesn't actually depend on Jon using alien slang to talk to his father. We know he traveled in space, so the idea of him knowing some customs wouldn't be far-fetched. So I don't see the slang as necessary piece of what you're suggesting and it's sudden appearance and disappearance still stick out.
    The thing is, I don't feel like it sticks out in the slightest, because, in reality, he only said two alien words. Two. In two separate issues no less. One seemed to be an expletive of some kind, and the other some sort of unit of measurement. You're making it seem far more often than that. Had it been far more often or pronounced in those two issues, I'd have maybe raised an eyebrow. But they were quick and likely more shorthand to say "Jon's been in space and learned his way around a bit." Just boils down to shorthand, I feel.

And in those issues he was still comfortably speaking Earth/American dialect and colloquialisms. Within the same breath as the two alien words no less. This isn't the speech overhaul you're making it out to be. It's not even as many times as Lois said the word "baby."
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You misunderstand what I'm saying if you think I'm using this to criticize Bendis (there are many other things I would use if I was criticizing Bendis's use of Jon). This is small stuff, but it does seem to be a pattern, which makes me curious about it. How Bendis is approaching this aspects and whether he's changing his mind later or whatever. I'm interested in what these things say about how he writes comics or Jon, or whether it says anything at all. It's interesting.
    I was not saying that. I just don't see the difference you are talking about. Adult jon seems consistently stiff to me.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Well, i have mixed feelings as well. But, i love supersons so i just hope it is good. Maybe damian can offer something to this adult jon. Because so far this jon has been boring.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't. Especially not with Bendis who both likes a slow burn, and is known to be on a book for quite some time.

And that's totally cool. No grudges held. But I think I do.
    Okay, that's fine for you, but don't expect me to follow those standards. I've just been speaking for myself. I feel like I've been having to defend my reasoning for wanting to know Bendis's thought process. Which is hardly an unfair curiosity.

I don't think so. I think the set-up itself is just the idea that Jon is now pretty well traveled in space.
    Exactly, which means the slang was totally unnecessary, which is part of what makes it interesting.

The thing is, I don't feel like it sticks out in the slightest, because, in reality, he only said two alien words. Two. In two separate issues no less. One seemed to be an expletive of some kind, and the other some sort of unit of measurement. You're making it seem far more often than that. Had it been far more often or pronounced in those two issues, I'd have maybe raised an eyebrow. But they were quick and likely more shorthand to say "Jon's been in space and learned his way around a bit." Just boils down to shorthand, I feel.

And in those issues he was still comfortably speaking Earth/American dialect and colloquialisms. Within the same breath as the two alien words no less. This isn't the speech overhaul you're making it out to be. It's not even as many times as Lois said the word "baby."
    The presence of the slang in one issue, and its complete absence from that point on, is apparent. So it's perfectly fair to wonder about it. I never called it a complete overall of speech patterns. I just called it inconsistent. Lois may say "baby" and "my boy" more. Jon may say "ma" and "pa" more. But if those aspects of their speech stops, it does more to make me curious about how Bendis is approaching his scripts.

Frankly, it doesn't matter how many times Jon said the alien slang. He used it and I noticed. Then, he stopped and I noticed. That has made be curious about Bendis's thought process and methods for how he writes and I don't really see what there is to pick apart with that.
    Currently Reading:

Mighty Member

I was not saying that. I just don't see the difference you are talking about. Adult jon seems consistently stiff to me.
    Ah, I see. Gotcha. I know what you mean about the stiffness, but I don't think the speech pattern change necessarily affects it. His speech can change and he still might come off a stiff if that makes sense.
    Currently Reading:

Okay, that's fine for you, but don't expect me to follow those standards. I've just been speaking for myself. I feel like I've been having to defend my reasoning for wanting to know Bendis's thought process. Which is hardly an unfair curiosity.
    I'm not saying you have to defend anything. Or that you have to follow any standards. There is literally nothing to defend. These are alternative ideas and perspectives that may or may not have crossed your mind. I'm just pointing out that there're possibly explanations coming in story like there have been for other one-off things and moments. Examples being: the Lois and Superman kiss with everyone recording was foreshadowed by Trish saying Lois left Clark for Superman in Action 1001 and "Lois" being one of the no-no words, and now it's being coming back up in Lois Lane issue 1 and Action 1012. Now it's a real thing. Or as I said before, there's the Manhunter "you should takeover" scene from issue 1 coming back around now. And the Clark saying Zaar is powered by yellow sun, Zaar insisting on wearing the house of El cape, and Jax's line about Jor-El's "children." There's also Clark and Zod's random visions that haven't be even remotely touched on yet, but rather have been attributed to lack of sleep (Clark) and drinking strange juice (Zod). But so far they've foreshadowed the Legion's coming and, possibly, Superman's presidency.

We can ultimately agree to disagree on if this is part of this rather long line of breadcrumb storytelling examples, but all I'm pointing out is that the line is there, and the line is growing. There's even another Jon related bit that I'm waiting to post if and when the endpoint gets shown in comic.

Frankly, it doesn't matter how many times Jon said the alien slang. He used it and I noticed. Then, he stopped and I noticed. That has made be curious about Bendis's thought process and methods for how he writes and I don't really see what there is to pick apart with that.
    And that's fine. I'm just saying that maybe it (like the scar) has more to do with either something that will be addressed later, him getting a feel for writing the new Jon, or simply just shorthand to say "hey, look, he's been in space and learned some stuff."

I'm not picking apart you wanting to know about how he writes. The only thing I've really commented on has been the assumption that there's something editorial in nature going on here. No one's saying you can't think that's the case, naturally. I'm just saying that there may likely be other less foundation related reasons before all of that. That's literally it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-23-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

And that's fine. I'm just saying that maybe it (like the scar) has more to do with either something that will be addressed later, him getting a feel for writing the new Jon, or simply just shorthand to say "hey, look, he's been in space and learned some stuff."

I'm not picking apart you wanting to know about how he writes. The only thing I've really commented on has been the assumption that there's something editorial in nature going on here. No one's saying you can't think that's the case, naturally. I'm just saying that there may likely be other less foundation related reasons before all of that. That's literally it.
    I never said it was because of editorial. I wondered if it was a possibility it was because of editorial. You're saying I made an assumption I didn't make.
    Currently Reading:

I never said it was because of editorial. I wondered if it was a possibility it was because of editorial. You're saying I made an assumption I didn't make.
    Wrong choice of words then. Not intended to mischaracterize your words. Hopefully the point I was trying to make is clear regardless of that.

Maybe it was because I didn’t bother to reread the last issue, but today’s Action issue felt difficult to keep up with. It felt like Bendis wrote fragments, so weird.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Maybe it was because I didn’t bother to reread the last issue, but today’s Action issue felt difficult to keep up with. It felt like Bendis wrote fragments, so weird.
    The past two issues have been kind of serving two masters. Bendis has been advancing the Action Comics story while also tying into Event Leviathan, which creates kind of a disjointedness. I can't say I've really...understood the Event Leviathan tie-ins. Since Leviathan Rising ended I mean. They seem weirdly unnecessary and they confused the timeline since Superman is supposed to be in space during Event Leviathan. It's slowing the stuff I'm more interested in down.
    Currently Reading:

The past two issues have been kind of serving two masters. Bendis has been advancing the Action Comics story while also tying into Event Leviathan, which creates kind of a disjointedness. I can't say I've really...understood the Event Leviathan tie-ins. Since Leviathan Rising ended I mean. They seem weirdly unnecessary and they confused the timeline since Superman is supposed to be in space during Event Leviathan. It's slowing the stuff I'm more interested in down.
    While it doesn't line up 100%, Goode is telling Perry a story that Thorn told her, so the scene with Superman happened before the events of last issue with Superman leaving. And Event Leviathan 1 & 2 seem to happen over the course of a single night, likely right after Superman left.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    While it doesn't line up 100%, Goode is telling Perry a story that Thorn told her, so the scene with Superman happened before the events of last issue with Superman leaving. And Event Leviathan 1 & 2 seem to happen over the course of a single night, likely right after Superman left.
    That could be. Still seems a bit overly complicated. I look forward to when Action moves on to other stuff so I don't have to try and keep the continuity between this and Event Leviathan straight. Roll on, Invisible War.
    Currently Reading: