Page 454 of 613 FirstFirst ... 354404444450451452453454455456457458464504554 ... LastLast
Results 6,796 to 6,810 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's interesting how Bendis has brought up Lex's past presidency more than once in his run. I thought nothing of it before, but with how the Unity Saga is apparently going to end, I have to wonder if Bendis may be planing to call back to that more, or even have the former president of the US sit down and have a chat with the new president of Earth? Cast their relationship in a new light-- if only just for a moment.

Thinking back to that era, from what I've read, it was truly fascinating (before the genuinely poor ending). Lex didn't just stop showing up because he was the president. He didn't stop antagonizing Superman because he was the president. At times, both were amplified, right? And his reach and background involvement extended to books outside the Superman line.

I have to imagine Bendis has this era in mind. In fact, I'm about 85% sure that he was inspired by the President Luthor era when he made Tony Stark head of SHIELD, and then when he made Normand Osborn the "top cop" during Dark Reign. He later did the same for Cap, but that had far, far less impact and importance than Tony or Normand's reigns. Rucka even wrote a President Lex story during that era.

But the real question is:spoilers:
    who is Superman's presidential cabinet when he becomes President of Earth? Does he get a vice president? Lex had Pete Ross as his vice, and that was a really great character moment between him and Clark, if I remember right. Bendis also created and had Maria Hill as Tony's right hand. He later made Victoria Hand, and made her Norman's right hand.
    end of spoilers

It also kind of just dawn on my while I was typing this that Bendis has likely been paying homage to Ed Mcguinness' extremely memorable double splash of Superman splitting and asteroid in half after Lex is elected.

Makes you wonder what he'll do when he finds out who they want to be President of Earth.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm not sure if we should put a ton of stock in American political structures here. Do we know how this "President of earth" thing comes about? It sounds like a position created by other civilizations so they have a go-to person who's responsible for earth and her interactions on the galactic stage.

If that's the case then I'm not sure how much this will reflect actual politics. Bendis has gone out of his way to express how different other planets and cultures are; just look at Naomi and how her father and Dee talk about the differences between worlds. If a galactic collective of empires goes to Clark and says "Someone's gotta be responsible for this mudball and take responsibility for the stuff that happens here, and you're gonna be that guy" there might not be a VP or cabinet at all.

If this is a position Clark takes up for himself, for whatever reason, then yeah there'll probably be some sort of American looking political structure to it. Upon which case.....man, with Bendis I expect him to pull from some pretty deep Silver Age cuts rather than going with more contemporary characters. And he'll probably dig so deep he'll come up with characters I either never knew about or forgot about years ago.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    reading that last point I guess my only downside for Jon in legion is him probably not getting to have a lot of screen time with so many characters on the team. Hopefully he can get a spinoff book if the series sells well.
    Actually given that Jon is the new guy on the team, I think that there’s a good chance Bendis makes him the audience standin. He’s the one everyone will explain their status quo too, so I expect to see him getting a lot of panel space. But that’s just a guess, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's interesting how Bendis has brought up Lex's past presidency more than once in his run. I thought nothing of it before, but with how the Unity Saga is apparently going to end, I have to wonder if Bendis may be planing to call back to that more, or even have the former president of the US sit down and have a chat with the new president of Earth? Cast their relationship in a new light-- if only just for a moment.

Thinking back to that era, from what I've read, it was truly fascinating (before the genuinely poor ending). Lex didn't just stop showing up because he was the president. He didn't stop antagonizing Superman because he was the president. At times, both were amplified, right? And his reach and background involvement extended to books outside the Superman line.

I have to imagine Bendis has this era in mind. In fact, I'm about 85% sure that he was inspired by the President Luthor era when he made Tony Stark head of SHIELD, and then when he made Normand Osborn the "top cop" during Dark Reign. He later did the same for Cap, but that had far, far less impact and importance than Tony or Normand's reigns. Rucka even wrote a President Lex story during that era.

But the real question is:spoilers:
    who is Superman's presidential cabinet when he becomes President of Earth? Does he get a vice president? Lex had Pete Ross as his vice, and that was a really great character moment between him and Clark, if I remember right. Bendis also created and had Maria Hill as Tony's right hand. He later made Victoria Hand, and made her Norman's right hand.
    end of spoilers

It also kind of just dawn on my while I was typing this that Bendis has likely been paying homage to Ed Mcguinness' extremely memorable double splash of Superman splitting and asteroid in half after Lex is elected.

Makes you wonder what he'll do when he finds out who they want to be President of Earth.
    I’m actually about to do a reread of the President Lex era, but man I love that page you’re talking about, and it was what I flashed back to the first time Bendis had Clark go vent his anger. I could definitely see a contrast between how the two men use political power. Don’t know if Lex will show up, Snyder seems to get to keep Lex to himself for his JL run at the moment.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Actually given that Jon is the new guy on the team, I think that there’s a good chance Bendis makes him the audience standin. He’s the one everyone will explain their status quo too, so I expect to see him getting a lot of panel space. But that’s just a guess, I could be wrong.
    To be honest, Bendis is much more of a "solo" guy then a "team" guy so I think Jon being the main focus or POV character that Bendis introduces audiences to the new Legion through will probably be more ideal the him trying to write it like an actual team book.

Think Superman in the Legion cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, Bendis is much more of a "solo" guy then a "team" guy so I think Jon being the main focus or POV character that Bendis introduces audiences to the new Legion through will probably be more ideal the him trying to write it like an actual team book.

Think Superman in the Legion cartoon.
    That cartoon was “baby’s first LoSH” for me, so I’ve got no problem if that’s the set up!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That cartoon was “baby’s first LoSH” for me, so I’ve got no problem if that’s the set up!
    To be honest, a part of me is using it as a baseline to compare to Bendis' Legion .

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not sure if we should put a ton of stock in American political structures here. Do we know how this "President of earth" thing comes about? It sounds like a position created by other civilizations so they have a go-to person who's responsible for earth and her interactions on the galactic stage.
    Apologies in advance for the length. This isn't some "you're wrong, you're wrong" tirade. I promise lol These a just things that I was thinking about in relation to the topic. The TLDR in regards our conversation is "I dunno, but I hoping and thinking that it'll mean more."
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I totally see what you're saying, and have actually discussed it with several posters on here (including a mutual friend of ours), and I full acknowledge that the actual political power and standing that will be on display is very much debatable. This is uncharted territory as a status quo, and I have no delusions of assuming that I can totally see where it's all going.

That said, I did look back at the infamous collection solicitation, and while I know the specific wording of a solicitation is never to be taken as law, it says Superman is "elected." And it says that it's something Clark has never wanted. The implication being that he may not want it, but he's gonna have to take it. Then this goes back to both Jor-El's words in Man of Steel issue 6 about what Jor-El wanted by sending Clark to Earth, and Martian Manhunter's words from Superman issue 1 that now have a considerable bit more weight to them. MM even specifically said that if Clark ever "offered himself" up to Earth and took over, he'd be welcomed with open arms.

But even more than the above, I need to point out that "President of Earth" isn't a position that Bendis made up. It's already established DC lore. More specifically it's from Legion of Super-Heroes lore. And in Legion lore, the President of Earth is legitimately what their title implies. The United Planets HQ is actually located in the heart of Metropolis. What Bendis seems to be doing is making Clark the actual-honest-to-goodness Founding Father the UP and the title of President of Earth.

Now, I'm not saying that Bendis is straight up about to unify all of Earth's government under Superman (more on this later though....), but I'm guessing that this position will come with some legitimate and actionable power over Earth. It fits in with Bendis the personal struggle of "how much is too much" that Bendis has been quietly tacking with Clark in the back of his whole run between both books. Some form of tangible power for Clark to wrestle over is expected in my opinion.

Just to put a quick pin in the above: THIS...thisthisthisthisTHIS is how you introduce a new "power" for Superman. Neither Johns nor even Morrison's additions actually compare to this in any meaningful way on a conceptual level. Even in what I feel is the unlikely event that it ends up as just a title, it'll still have far greater significance and story use than than any singular power addition since like flight.

Anyways lol, it's just kind of dawned on me that while functionally speaking Leviathan appears to be created a DC equivalent to SHIELD, it's also got a message that kind of scary close to what Martian Manhunter was asking of Superman, and of, you guessed it, the United Planets. They're even using tech that's apparently even alien Batman who brings up that he knows of some alien tech do to dealing with Clark. Leviathan is fed up with not just the way the secret organizations are run, but modern society on Earth in general.

But maybe most interesting of all, they specifically say that they won't fight Superman--NEVER Superman, and that he will join them once he says what they're doing. And remember there have been ZERO bodies. They have yet to kill apparently. Now I'm not totally sure what this will all end up meaning, but I'm starting to think there's going to be a connection down the line.

I'm starting to think maybe Superman as President of Earth may somehow also make him head of Leviathan or, at the very least they'll want to follow him. It would basically be building a Tony Star Director of SHIELD situation from scratch. This might be his actionable power. A whole organization futurist willing to follow him.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Also Bendis posted this https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rPkhvhFKI/

Alex Maleev's Superman as just as awe inspiring as expected. No idea what's happening to Superman in the image, but it's amazing looking.

Apologies in advance for the length. This isn't some "you're wrong, you're wrong" tirade. I promise lol
    No worries man, you've been paying much closer attention to Bendis' run than I have. If I missed something, some clue about where stuff is going (like in that solicit you mentioned), let me know!

But even more than the above, I need to point out that "President of Earth" isn't a position that Bendis made up. It's already established DC lore. More specifically it's from Legion of Super-Heroes lore. And in Legion lore, the President of Earth is legitimately what their title implies. The United Planets HQ is actually located in the heart of Metropolis. What Bendis seems to be doing is making Clark the actual-honest-to-goodness Founding Father the UP and the title of President of Earth.
    Oh snap! That's very true (slipped my mind). Okay, what's the political structure look like in the Legion then? Is there a cabinet or VP under Earth President?

Now, I'm not saying that Bendis is straight up about to unify all of Earth's government under Superman (more on this later though....), but I'm guessing that this position will come with some legitimate and actionable power over Earth.
    There's no doubt in my mind about that. Clark is definitely going to have some kind of authority he can flex. But will he have a secretary of education, agriculture, etc etc? That's what I'm not sure about.

Just to put a quick pin in the above: THIS...thisthisthisthisTHIS is how you introduce a new "power" for Superman. Neither Johns nor even Morrison's additions actually compare to this in any meaningful way on a conceptual level. Even in what I feel is the unlikely event that it ends up as just a title, it'll still have far greater significance and story use than than any singular power addition since like flight.
    Completely agreed. It's pretty damn brilliant really. Not only is this moving the entire mythos forward but it's adding (potentially anyway) a whole new layer to Clark's life and new "abilities" he can call on. I'm actually pretty disappointed that I never thought of it.

Also Bendis posted this https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rPkhvhFKI/

Alex Maleev's Superman as just as awe inspiring as expected. No idea what's happening to Superman in the image, but it's amazing looking.
    Holy hell, that's amazing! Better than I expected, and I expected great things from Maleev!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oh snap! That's very true (slipped my mind). Okay, what's the political structure look like in the Legion then? Is there a cabinet or VP under Earth President?
    Honestly, I have no real idea. The President of Earth does seem to have people legitimately working under them and for them like a normal president or world leader, but I'm not clear on the logistics because I've never had a Legion "deep dive."

I have to imagine that since its a totally new position, I'm sure the growing pains and defining of the job are going to be part of the story. In reality, it functions almost as a reboot of sorts because it puts Clark right back in the uncomfortable, unsure, and pioneering position he started in a Superman on his first day.

And given Bendis' penchant for creating or appointing right-hand/second in command characters, I think it's likely that Superman will get an equivalent to a Maria Hill or Victoria Hand constantly advising him.

Completely agreed. It's pretty damn brilliant really. Not only is this moving the entire mythos forward but it's adding (potentially anyway) a whole new layer to Clark's life and new "abilities" he can call on. I'm actually pretty disappointed that I never thought of it.
    Dude, you and me both It's the sort of thing that only an "outsider" would think to actually do. I'm sure when he got to that part during the pitch, everyone went from "this f%*kin Marvel guy" to "huh...wait a minute" and then finally "....sh!t, that's good" in the span of a second. Like, I'm just now realizing that it takes Superman's inherent Americana and global "I'm for everyone" citizenship, plus its new dimensions to his ability, his feeling of responsibility, the idea of legacy, AND very pointedly speaks to the Man of Tomorrow title. It address and directly tackles so many aspects of the character at once. There's genuinely a lot to unpack here.

It's upsettingly good. Like, I'm to the point where I may need to see this plot point adapted and immortalized on film.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-04-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Honestly, I have no real idea. The President of Earth does seem to have people legitimately working under them and for them like a normal president or world leader, but I'm not clear on the logistics because I've never had a Legion "deep dive.
    And I was never a huge fan of the Legion outside of their influence with Clark, and its been so long since I read them I don't remember.

And given Bendis' penchant for creating or appointing right-hand/second in command characters, I think it's likely that Superman will get an equivalent to a Maria Hill or Victoria Hand constantly advising him.
    I think there's no doubt of that. The question is whether Bendis creates a new character (which, looking at his history is very likely) or if he'll pull in an established character. Someone from earth but who has a lot of experience with alien races and cultures and is probably a deep cut from Super-lore. The Alpha Centurion or Captain Comet come to mind.......

It's upsettingly good. Like, I'm to the point where I may need to see this plot point adapted and immortalized on film.
    I think you're right, only an "outsider" would think of this. I mean, for the rest of us the idea of Superman "ruling" earth is so anathema we can't get past the basic idea long enough to imagine how it might come about in a proper, natural way that's true and honest to the character and his mythos. And here walks in Bendis with his "so obvious it's stupid" Legion/UP pitch.

~ Black Panther.

I think there's no doubt of that. The question is whether Bendis creates a new character (which, looking at his history is very likely) or if he'll pull in an established character. Someone from earth but who has a lot of experience with alien races and cultures and is probably a deep cut from Super-lore. The Alpha Centurion or Captain Comet come to mind.......
    I'd personally like to see a totally new character in the position. Otherwise my totally irrational need for it to be Jimmy Olsen will take over and consume me. Whoever it ends up being, I think it's a safe bet that they'll be human and from Earth.

My sort of off the wall theory right is that it'll be whoever's behind the Leviathan mask. I was reading Bendis' Luke Cage lead New Avengers run today, and I came across an instance where Spider-Man is asking why Victoria Hand is not only not in jail, but also helping to manage the New Avengers. And besides the fact that Cap vouches for her, she was also put there to be an opposing viewpoint that Luke and the Avengers could clash and disagree with while also learning to respect, and find new solutions with. Checks and balances. Sound familiar?

But maybe what threw me for the biggest loop was the fact that Victoria Hand repeats Leviathan's "we want the same thing" tag line to our altruistic and noble Mr. Cage.

Sooooo......Superman/Leviathan 2020?

Astonishing Member

Apart form the introduction of Jon, Superman has felt rather stagnant and has needed to have his mythos move forward for a while now. Him becoming President of Earth has me excited. It is uncharted territory and I like how Bendis is approaching it. Jor and MM proposed this direction to Clark, wanting him to be proactive in this regard and he basically balked at the idea because of his own personal ideals but when it's fostered upon him and is left without a choice, he will step up. It won't be easy, this is Earth after all. I cannot wait to see it all unfold.

I'm a little worried that a President of Earth Superman will smack of US imperialism and exceptionalism (comic being a US media and all). It'll honestly be interesting to read about Bendis take on it, but I hope he'll steer away from the current Young Justice Season, where Outsiders can basically barge in every country they want and do whatever they want because they trend on twitter...

Astonishing Member

I think it's meant to lean more towards a universal role as opposed to earthly role. I don't think he is meant to interfere with existing governmental structures more like the role Earth will play in relation to other planets in other galaxies etc.