Page 460 of 613 FirstFirst ... 360410450456457458459460461462463464470510560 ... LastLast
Results 6,886 to 6,900 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To everyone I've been debating with.......there's totally no reason what so ever to go over and read the preview (basically last 4 pages) of Superman 14. I'll say it again: NO REASON WHAT SO EVER.

Lol

Man! I am having a jolly good time with this. Jon kent goes down in history as one of the most important figures to ever walk. Not superman the greatest hero in the world, the symbol of hope. Not wonder woman the ambassador of peace and truth. Not batman the dark knight. Just regular 17 year old jon kent. This the funniest thing i have ever read.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I can't really speak to that at all, but Bendis is confirmed to be doing at least two continuations of legacy outside of Superman in the Legion. There's confirmed to be a (possibly blind) Gold Lantern, and a six armed new Doctor Fate on the Legion. So like, even if they're getting their actual power from some other line of legacy, they're, like Lightning Lad said, inspired to do this whole team thing by Superman's "Unity Day." And Aquaman's trident seems to have survived.

And Dispenser of Truth has the theory that Mon-El is actually a decedent of Clark's because his 21st century phantom origin seems to be gone.

But to be fair, adding in more of the DCU directly to the Legion isn't a new thing Bendis created. Johns' Superman and The Legion still has Wonder Woman statues sitting side by side with Superman's, Rainbow Girl now gets her powers from the Lantern established emotional light spectrum, and maybe the greatest of all, Earthman forms an actual Justice League based off the Justice League. Hell, in a Superman/Batman story Pre-52 Legion members Kent Shakespeare and Laurel Kent become the Superman and Superwoman of the 31st century alongside a new Batman and Robin that are still around.

Not crazy about that either because it makes them less their own thing and more a distant future Justice League/Society. Let them be unique.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-19-2019 at 01:27 PM.

I can't really speak to that at all, but Bendis is confirmed to be doing at least two continuations of legacy outside of Superman in the Legion. There's confirmed to be a (possibly blind) Gold Lantern, and a six armed new Doctor Fate on the Legion. So like, even if they're getting their actual power from some other line of legacy, they're, like Lightning Lad said, inspired to do this whole team thing by Superman's "Unity Day." And Aquaman's trident seems to have survived.

And Dispenser of Truth has the theory that Mon-El is actually a decedent of Clark's because his 21st century phantom origin seems to be gone.

But to be fair, adding in more of the DCU directly to the Legion isn't a new thing Bendis created. Johns' Superman and The Legion still has Wonder Woman statues sitting side by side with Superman's, Rainbow Girl now gets her powers from the Lantern established emotional light spectrum, and maybe the greatest of all, Earthman forms an actual Justice League based off the Justice League. Hell, in a Superman/Batman story Pre-52 Legion members Kent Shakespeare and Laurel Kent become the Superman and Superwoman of the 31st century alongside a new Batman and Robin that are still around.
    And I'm totally cool with artifacts and legends of other modern day heroes surviving into the Legion's time. Hell, I've said myself the Legion needs a few more legacies so it "feels" like DC's future; a new Flash (XS, where art thou????), a Lantern, etc. I am all for that stuff. The 31st/32nd century needs a few more connective strands to the present, not only so it still feels like DC but to help establish franchise bridges for time traveling crossovers.

What concerns me is the idea that the Legion gives equal credit to the entire League for their inspiration and Clark's role gets diluted. Because, like Robanker says, once you open that door a little bit DC kicks it down with a Bat shaped boot and then burns the whole gods damned house down with the Bat flamethrower, then they slap themselves on the back and tell themselves they've done a good job.

Clark creating the UP, having Unity Day serve as a major inspiration for the Legion.....yeah, I am so down with all of that. That's all great, and if you just look at this side of things Clark looks like he's gaining new elements in the mythos. And the preview you posted looks good, like Bendis is handling this well and not giving props to other heroes at Clark's expense (or at least not by any meaningful margin). But while I trust Bendis, I don't trust Didio or anyone else at DC (seriously, no trust at all on any level, I wouldn't let them babysit a apple), and if they don't try to hijack the future for Batman at some point I promise I will eat my keyboard.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And I'm totally cool with artifacts and legends of other modern day heroes surviving into the Legion's time. Hell, I've said myself the Legion needs a few more legacies so it "feels" like DC's future; a new Flash (XS, where art thou????), a Lantern, etc. I am all for that stuff. The 31st/32nd century needs a few more connective strands to the present, not only so it still feels like DC but to help establish franchise bridges for time traveling crossovers.

What concerns me is the idea that the Legion gives equal credit to the entire League for their inspiration and Clark's role gets diluted. Because, like Robanker says, once you open that door a little bit DC kicks it down with a Bat shaped boot and then burns the whole gods damned house down with the Bat flamethrower, then they slap themselves on the back and tell themselves they've done a good job.

Clark creating the UP, having Unity Day serve as a major inspiration for the Legion.....yeah, I am so down with all of that. That's all great, and if you just look at this side of things Clark looks like he's gaining new elements in the mythos. And the preview you posted looks good, like Bendis is handling this well and not giving props to other heroes at Clark's expense (or at least not by any meaningful margin). But while I trust Bendis, I don't trust Didio or anyone else at DC (seriously, no trust at all on any level, I wouldn't let them babysit a apple), and if they don't try to hijack the future for Batman at some point I promise I will eat my keyboard
    Dude, batman isn't the one you should be worried about. Didn't you see the superman #14 preview thread? If you haven't. Don't look. I don't think you will like it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended;4520505[B
    ]And the preview you posted looks good,[/B] like Bendis is handling this well and not giving props to other heroes at Clark's expense (or at least not by any meaningful margin). But while I trust Bendis, I don't trust Didio or anyone else at DC (seriously, no trust at all on any level, I wouldn't let them babysit a apple), and if they don't try to hijack the future for Batman at some point I promise I will eat my keyboard.
    WHO. ARE. YOU. POD PEOPLE??!!

But seriously, are you talking about the preview for the last 4 pages of Superman #14 that I made a thread for?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, batman isn't the one you should be worried about. Didn't you see the superman #14 preview thread? If you haven't. Don't look. I don't think you will like it.
    I haven't. Typically try to avoid previews; comics are too short to have a third of it spoiled yknow?

But.....let me guess......The Legion shows up and are all "Jon Kent! You're the best person in history and we need you to join us! Your dusty old man can go suck an egg! What did he ever accomplish?"

Or.....the United Planets is really Jon's idea?

Assuming I'm right about either (or both?? shudder) I can't say I'm surprised. Bendis has been pretty clear about the whole "Space Prince Jon" direction, we know he's joining the Legion, and those dots just kinda connect themselves. And I feel like Bendis has been setting Jon up to surpass his father from the start, if not at his current age then at some point in the future when he's older.

If I'm right......bah, I dunno. As a father my greatest wish is for my kids to grow up and be better than I am. Given the family dynamics Bendis is playing with I can see where he's coming from with that. And at least it'd be staying in the family instead of getting farmed out to other IP's that don't deserve the honor (f*ck Batman).

I guess if my choices are have Clark's mythology torn apart for the sake of his kid, or torn apart for the sake of the gods damn Batman and Friends, I'll take the kid.

Obviously I'm sick to death of Clark's rich, deep history being gutted for other characters. How generic and boring do we have to make Clark before everyone else is as exciting and interesting as he is/used to be? Seriously DC, stop f**king with my Superman! But Clark's lost the Legion to Jon already, we've known that for a while, so if the preview just shows that happening (it's gotta be soon by now, right?) it's not anything we didn't know. If it's Jon creating the UP......wait, that can't work. Superlad posted a couple pages where they're talking about Clark creating it, right?

....unless they weren't talking to Clark?

Well, if that's what it is.....as long as Clark's the guy who does the actual work I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing. I've gotten ideas from my kids before that I've run with, and I suppose this might not be so different.

Really hope I'm wrong about both guesses of course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

WHO. ARE. YOU. POD PEOPLE??!!

But seriously, are you talking about the preview for the last 4 pages of Superman #14 that I made a thread for?
    Nope, staying out of that thread until I've read the issue. You posted a few pages here (same preview? Same content?) and that's more than enough for me.

Like I've said man, the only information I've had is what people have said here. And the idea that "the whole heroic age" inspired the Legion isn't something I'm down with if it means that Bruce and Arthur and Zatanna, etc., get equal billing with Clark for building the future. But if it's "Superman, and to a lesser degree his peers, inspired the Legion" then I can roll with that. I'm fine with the other heroes getting *some* credit, I just dont want it to be equal to the credit Clark gets or come at his expense, because Clark's the guy who has put the work in. But I got no issue with the Legion acknowledging the contributions of other 21st century heroes. As long as it's Clark who inspired them to take up the fight, I'm okay with them saying "And that Aquaman guy was pretty cool too."

And that page or two you shared made it look like Clark is the guy who gets the majority of the credit. Clark's the guy standing there talking about creating the UP, he's the guy the Legion is talking to (or so it seems). So....the preview (or at least what I saw on this thread) looks good.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.

~ Black Panther.

I haven't. Typically try to avoid previews; comics are too short to have a third of it spoiled yknow?
    I'll respect your wish to stay spoiler free.

I'll just say that in one way or another you've sufficiently braced yourself, and technically speaking there seems to be a silver lining based on what we have heard so far (something you've also sufficiently braced for).

We'll talk after the book comes out, but even then I don't think it'll be best to wait and see how/if that President of Earth stuff shakes out. As always, dude, I hope you and everyone else finds something to dig about all this.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'll respect your wish to stay spoiler free.

I'll just say that in one way or another you've sufficiently braced yourself, and technically speaking there seems to be a silver lining based on what we have heard so far (something you've also sufficiently braced for).

We'll talk after the book comes out, but even then I don't think it'll be best to wait and see how/if that President of Earth stuff shakes out. As always, dude, I hope you and everyone else finds something to dig about all this.
    Much love for the respect brother. >bro fist!<

But sine you said
    I don't think it'll be best to wait and see
    I figured I'd check it out. I already saw the pages you posted here so what the hell.

>after checking the preview thread<

Well....f*ck.

Yeeeaahhh.......not thrilled by this. The writing's been on the wall that Bendis was setting Jon up to surpass Clark, like I said a minute ago.....but I was hoping it'd be mostly a Damian type of thing where it never actually happens, and is just something we see in the occasional flash-forward story (not that Damian is a successful Batman but you know what I mean, he's crazy competent in the future).

Gods damn it Bendis, you've made me really enjoy your run despite certain things I'm not liking, but I'm not at all happy with this. You might be off my christmas card list you cruel bastard!

Well, now that it's definitely happening in this way......nothing left to do but wait and see how the whole story plays out. If this were any other run by any other writer I might just ditch the book and pretend it's not happening (DC will reboot and retcon everything soon enough anyway). But Bendis has done some really good stuff so.....I'll give him a chance, just one, to convince me this is for the best.

Gods damn it.

~ Black Panther.

But sine you said I figured I'd check it out. I already saw the pages you posted here so what the hell.

>after checking the preview thread<

Well....f*ck.

Yeeeaahhh.......not thrilled by this. The writing's been on the wall that Bendis was setting Jon up to surpass Clark, like I said a minute ago.....but I was hoping it'd be mostly a Damian type of thing where it never actually happens, and is just something we see in the occasional flash-forward story (not that Damian is a successful Batman but you know what I mean, he's crazy competent in the future).

Gods damn it Bendis, you've made me really enjoy your run despite certain things I'm not liking, but I'm not at all happy with this. You might be off my christmas card list you cruel bastard!

Well, now that it's definitely happening in this way......nothing left to do but wait and see how the whole story plays out. If this were any other run by any other writer I might just ditch the book and pretend it's not happening (DC will reboot and retcon everything soon enough anyway). But Bendis has done some really good stuff so.....I'll give him a chance, just one, to convince me this is for the best.

Gods damn it.
    Yessss....yesss....give into your hatred.....
    One of us! One of us! One of us!

>bro fist!< I hope my respect for your views always goes without saying, dude.

But sine you said I figured I'd check it out. I already saw the pages you posted here so what the hell.
    I'll blame my phone for that one lol

Well....f*ck.
    That's about what I expected lol

And no one can or should ask you for more. Good on you for at least leaving yourself open to it.

I particularly like Yoda's take on the situation: Jon may have came up with the idea, but it's Clark who's gonna put the work in to make it a reality. And in terms of why the Legion specifically would be inspired by this? I get it. You read about how a kid just like you apparently came up with the idea of the ultimate governing body, and it's gotta speak to you as a young person. Seeing yourself in history, ya know? Also probably doesn't hurt that he's genetically of two alien races, I imagine.

Just a guess on my part, and not to make light, but I imagine that it's in the spirit of the real world teenagers from Parkland high school who are moving the needle on gun control. And similar to that, it's gotta be up to the grown ass adult to not let them down, and do better for future generations. To me, right now, with what I know, it feels like a super version of that.

What I'm most interested in is the possibility of this President of Earth thing. If it still at least in part functions like the 31st century version, then Clark will be hammering out the logistics of the UP first hand. Thematically it would be Clark assuming Jor-El old role in the Circle, and doing better for his world, his son, and the galaxy. That at least seems like the idea to me right now, but only time will tell.

>bro fist!< I hope my respect for your views always goes without saying, dude.
    Always, just as I hope my respect for your's is also never in question.

But really, we agree far, far more often than we disagree anyway.

I'll blame my phone for that one lol
    Yeah, the phone, sure. Blame the phone.

And no one can or should ask you for more. Good on you for at least leaving yourself open to it.
    Ive said Bendis has earned some faith from me. I guess this is the time that gets put to the test.

I particularly like Yoda's take on the situation: Jon may have came up with the idea, but it's Clark who's gonna put the work in to make it a reality.

What I'm most interested in is the possibility of this President of Earth thing. If it still at least in part functions like the 31st century version, then Clark will be hammering out the logistics of the UP first hand. Thematically it would be Clark assuming Jor-El old role in the Circle, and doing better for his world, his son, and the galaxy. That at least seems like the idea to me right now, but only time will tell.
    **IF** that's how it plays out......I suppose I can roll with that (not like I have much choice in the matter). I loathe seeing Clark's history taken apart for other people. I f**king hate it (obviously). But the Legion's involvement in Clark's origin is usually a non-issue that rarely gets brought up; it's a symbolic loss more than anything else. And Jon having the idea of the UP.....the Parkland shootings and what those kids are accomplishing seems fairly apt (not to draw parallels between that horror and comic books, but....) and I think I said myself somewhere that I've used ideas my kids have given me. So **IF** Clark is the guy doing the work, cutting the deals, negotiating the cease-fires and trade routes and all the rest.....that's still moving him and his mythos forward, that's still a gain we'll see on the page more often than the Legion and their (now) poorly placed inspiration.

If it goes well it'll be, at worst, a break-even trade. Which I'm not fucking happy about. On any level. But there's still a slim chance Clark will make up for what he's losing...and, maybe, just maybe, if Bendis gets Clark the way I've thought he did, we'll still end up slightly ahead.

But yeah, this has been a rough, crappy day, and this is just par for the course.

~ Black Panther.

**IF** that's how it plays out......I suppose I can roll with that (not like I have much choice in the matter). I loathe seeing Clark's history taken apart for other people. I f**king hate it (obviously). But the Legion's involvement in Clark's origin is usually a non-issue that rarely gets brought up; it's a symbolic loss more than anything else. And Jon having the idea of the UP.....the Parkland shootings and what those kids are accomplishing seems fairly apt (not to draw parallels between that horror and comic books, but....) and I think I said myself somewhere that I've used ideas my kids have given me. So **IF** Clark is the guy doing the work, cutting the deals, negotiating the cease-fires and trade routes and all the rest.....that's still moving him and his mythos forward, that's still a gain we'll see on the page more often than the Legion and their (now) poorly placed inspiration.

If it goes well it'll be, at worst, a break-even trade. Which I'm not fucking happy about. On any level. But there's still a slim chance Clark will make up for what he's losing...and, maybe, just maybe, if Bendis gets Clark the way I've thought he did, we'll still end up slightly ahead.

But yeah, this has been a rough, crappy day, and this is just par for the course.
    I just wanna say that, dude, it really sucks to see you bummed out on something related to your hobby. I may be pretty much okay with this, and might even see myself outright greatly enjoying this idea for what it is, but I never enjoy someone else's dissatisfaction. That's always been an alien concept to me. I can't get behind the idea of being happy that someone is having a bad time with this hobby you both share.

I hope it all goes well. At this stage I do think drawing parallels to something in the spirit of the brave kids from Parkland may be what Bendis is going for given his track record and the general spirit of youthful empowerment that Bendis seems to be exuding with this Legion, and in my opinion that's an extremely important and really nice bit of energy to get out there. That is of course assuming that is the intent. Even with Bendis' history and recent examples of not being afraid of drawing respectful parallels in at least the spirit of a real world situation or feeling, I don't want to make my assumption read as a fact.

Hopefully we can all enjoy Superman working through the immediate ramifications of this endeavor for the future. Hey look! That would 100% be Superman seeing the Legion and then directly fighting to make sure they come to pass, so that's pretty cool!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-19-2019 at 07:31 PM.

People let's address the real issue at hand the scar has to go!! It keeps getting bigger!! And it still has yet to be explained why it's there!!! Does it bother no one else but me!?!?!

Always, just as I hope my respect for your's is also never in question.

But really, we agree far, far more often than we disagree anyway.

Yeah, the phone, sure. Blame the phone.

Ive said Bendis has earned some faith from me. I guess this is the time that gets put to the test.

You too huh? Didn’t have a great day either and this news just didn’t help. Well after having some dinner I’m feeling a bit more optimistic. I do like the Parkland comparison Superlad is making, even if I am still a little sore over Clark being treated as an uncool old man. But we all gotta remember that this is DC. If this take doesn’t sell, they’ll scrap it and reboot lol. We’ll see how things play out.