Page 474 of 613 FirstFirst ... 374424464470471472473474475476477478484524574 ... LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It could never happen and I don't even think it would necessarily be a good idea if it were possible, but I kinda want a bit where Superman is facing titanic blowback for something he did in office that was pretty definitely the right thing and grumbles to himself "man, everything just slides right off the OTHER guy no matter what he does" (whether leading to a punchline about Superman being held to a higher standard, or a rougher digression on what human nature chooses to embrace).

Between this, the Presidency in general, and everything happening with Jon, at least for the time being Bendis is really delivering on the "Imaginary Story" flavor he discussed in an interview early on.
    Well instead of Trump they could always use Batman! No matter how many times Bruce builds Brother Eye, gets one of his sidekicks killed, or is just generally a dick he never faces the same scrutiny as Supes does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't really see why you'd need a crisis to walk things back.

Stay in story. Let Clark serve out his however many years as president (for however many writers), and then contrive a way to make it so him regaining the secret identity is acts as retirement from office. Divorce the memory of Clark and Superman as being one and the same as a retirement gift to him.

That's obviously at the end of however long DC'd want him as president of Earth. But really this is unlike something like Civil War, Truth, or Born Again because there's still the dual responsibility. There's still likely the paper work and so on. His desk just got bigger. So, there's less of an "always action" feel here because once he's done punching Lobo in the face he's got a 4:30 meeting to run to.
    I could see this happening and it would make sense. Good point about how his work-life balance isn’t totally changing. If anything being President will demand even MORE of his time then being a journalist did. Yeah I’m definitely still looking forward to this.

The "identity" could also be that of Jon Kent's father alone. Leaving the step-dad Clark route and the Lois & Clark marriage fully intact publicly. That also works well with the Superman 18 solicit, which focuses on his family. The wording on that Lois Lane solicit is beautiful.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I could see this happening and it would make sense. Good point about how his work-life balance isn’t totally changing. If anything being President will demand even MORE of his time then being a journalist did. Yeah I’m definitely still looking forward to this.
    I wonder if him not getting any sleep at all during this run so far will be brought back up? Apparently he just forgets.

I think back on how Bendis once said that we'd be going "poor Clark" during his run, and we assumed that he would make Clark a Peter Parker type, but now I now I'm over here gettin tired just thinking about what the hours of this dude's day-to-day are gonna be like lol

In a recent interview, Bendis outright stated that the way he approached Spider-Man's stress of responsibility and Superman's stress of responsibility were based on the differences between a teenager's responsibility and a grown ass adult's responsibility. Bendis seems like he's about to make Clark the hardest working hero in comics hahaha
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

What I'd really dig - though it's obviously a stretch - is that Superman revealing his identity to the world is acknowledged as a temporary condition in-universe from day one. The world knows its knowledge of his identity* is temporary as a security measure for his family and friends come the end of his term (maybe using the Spyral tech that gave Dick his identity back, since those elements are already in play?), and the world agrees to it because of their trust in him. That not only presents it as a temporary thing upfront to be taken for what it is for the duration rather than playing at being a permanent shift, but gives the world actual leverage over Superman, because if they change their minds on him they might well vote to undo that particular Presidential power, putting him directly on the line.

* Or maybe the identity of the President period? It be an interesting comic-bookey thing if the world had the memory of each President of Earth's identity wiped at the end of their term provided they weren't impeached - even if the memory of their actions remained - implemented as a policy because Clark fears the power that title would continue to impart even after stepping down, as well as weeding out those who are really just seeking their names in the history books.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The "identity" could also be that of Jon Kent's father alone. Leaving the step-dad Clark route and the Lois & Clark marriage fully intact publicly. That also works well with the Superman 18 solicit, which focuses on his family. The wording on that Lois Lane solicit is beautiful.
    I dunno, man. I'd like it to be, but this is probably the cleaner and more marketable way to go along with becoming president. I mean, outside of the people reading the book, who would even register Clark being Jon's step-dad or Superman being Lois' husband, ya know? But "Superman tells the world he's Clark Kent, and then becomes President" answers all the questions we've had on that, and it's a headline that any perspective fan browsing the internet can stop by instantly understand.

Bendis is always conscious of new readers. He's outright stated that that's specifically why he sometimes has his characters who know each other restate their name and title more than once in the same issue. He's willing to make stilt his dialogue in the interest of that kid that's picking up the book by chance or word of mouth.

Incidentally, that's why I sincerely doubt that all of the deep cuts pulls some fans are coming up with to figure out who Leviathan are less than likely to be right. I maintain that anyone with a general familiarity of the DCU who is following Event Leviathan should be able to figure it out with just the information in the 4 books we have, and that's by design.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This is part of Dan Didio's long game to get another reboot off the ground.

Greenlighting major status quo changes such as Alfred dying and Superman's civilian ID going public so that he can use those as an excuse as to why continuity has to be rebooted again.

I dunno, man. I'd like it to be, but this is probably the cleaner and more marketable way to go along with becoming president. I mean, outside of the people reading the book, who would even register Clark being Jon's step-dad or Superman being Lois' husband, ya know? But "Superman tells the world he's Clark Kent, and then becomes President" answers all the questions we've had on that, and it's a headline that any perspective fan browsing the internet can stop by instantly understand.
    Oh, I'm with you on all that. I think it's definitely a much cleaner and marketable status quo than any of the other solutions we've come with. Bendis could be serious about sticking around and we're looking at a 5-6+ year run here to really build out this status quo. He was on Avengers in one capacity or another from 2004-2012, Ultimate Spider-Man even longer (like 2000-2015). And he's looking at this way more like his second chance at Avengers/Ultimate Spider-Man level work I think.

It's just that there is just enough ambiguity in the language of these solicits that it makes me wonder why it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post

Greenlighting major status quo changes such as Alfred dying and Superman's civilian ID going public so that he can use those as an excuse as to why continuity has to be rebooted again.
    I think the opposite may actually be true. They aren't building towards another reboot, but a consolidation around these status quos. Alfred coming back doesn't require a reboot at all. This Superman thing is much bigger, but with the way they are reintroducing the Legion and JSA I think things are actually going to be settling down.

It's obvious Reboots only give like a year or so of boosted sales before whatever level things settle back to, usually lower than the previous level.

Reading the solicit for issue 18 carefully again, it seems like it's in reference to Jor-El's "putting out fires in your baby clothes" comment from Man of Steel that was again reiterated in a flashback in Superman issue #1, and then reinforced by Martian Manhunter in the very same issue.

The solicit for issue 18 says "our hero must confront some of his greatest concerns about himself and his place in the galaxy."

Based on what we know, I have to imagine that concern is in regards to what can be described as a "holding pattern" that Clark's been in with regards to what he could be doing to help Earth and the galaxy. Issue 2 of Superman has Clark remember a conversation he had with Green Arrow where he essentially makes a "the system works" argument in regards to how Earth conducts itself in the face of all of its issues within and out. This sounds like something from the events of the Unity saga have finally got him looking back at that and wondering.

So, now the sacrifice of Clark Kent may have to be made so he can do more. And in relatively, outside of the scale and sacrifice of privacy, being President has a lot in common with what the Clark Kent persona and reporter job ultimately wanted to achieve, right? It's real systemic change that doesn't just stop of symptom or flare-up.

The more I think about the idea of this as an evolution, the more I can see the clear reasoning and actually feel this as a legitimate heroic sacrifice, and moment of character growth. I so very glad we circle back to Clark's personal hang-ups. I was scared that was being forgotten. Superman seems to admit a flaw/mistake, and then takes steps to fix it.

On a less heavy note: THIS COULD TOTALLY LEAD TO MORE SH!T LIKE CHAZ AND ANDI!!! And that's OBJECTIVELY a win.

I mean, Bendis is the one who just kind of casually set up the idea that Lois and Clark just do cool sh!t like that, and have the tech for it.

It could be the equivalent celebrities checking into rooms under fake names or wearing tried and true "hey don't look at me" sunglasses, hat, and sweats combo to grab a coffee down the street. Bendis has totally created some fun options for himself as far as letting Lois and Clark get some time to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post

I don’t think so. I do think a linewide relaunch is in the cards though, probably after Metal 2. DC needs to start cultivating the next group of writers though.

That's obviously at the end of however long DC'd want him as president of Earth. But really this is unlike something like Civil War, Truth, or Born Again because there's still the dual responsibility. There's still likely the paper work and so on. His desk just got bigger. So, there's less of an "always action" feel here because once he's done punching Lobo in the face he's got a 4:30 meeting to run to.
    I think there's a difference from a dual responsibility to a dual identity. Especially when I just don't see Bendis focusing as much on the bureaucracy aspect of Superman being a President compared to him now likely being Superman 24/7 in one form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's a difference from a dual responsibility to a dual identity. Especially when I just don't see Bendis focusing as much on the bureaucracy aspect of Superman being a President compared to him now likely being Superman 24/7 in one form or another.
    But not focusing on the actual physical paper work went for Clark too. Very rarely would we get more than lip service towards his actual job, or he'd just bust it out at super speed. I'm not expecting actual full issues of him signing documents, but the implication that he's doing stuff to affect systemic change on a global or galactic scale and dealing with the stresses of that works for me quite a bit.

As far as the modern age goes, dual responsibility was the mark of the dual identity. The distinction grew weaker and weaker in terms of division in personality, and it became more about Clark (or Lois) keeping the bad guys that Superman puts away in jail.

Him no longer being allowing a private life outside of the public eye-- the indulgence of being able to be seen as mild mannered--seems to be framed as the heroic sacrifice here. But given the level he's trusted and liked, it won't be an "always on guard" sort of Truth situation, so one can imagine him just walking down the street in a shirt to grab some food Luke Cage or Steve Rogers style. And the Leviathan tie-in made it clear that the whole kidnap someone close to him to get to him is outmoded.

Not to say that Bendis won't totally go for an assassination or randoms style story (who wouldn't), but the age old fear of "I don't tell people my identity to keep them safe" has been debunked. We're now calling it what it always was: Clark's indulgence. The little bit of himself that he didn't have to share with everyone. But now he's apparently in a position he's gotta be more selfless than ever. From Jor-El's "baby clothes" to here, as we understand it, is great character work....if he sticks the landing.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-13-2019 at 06:26 PM.

But not focusing on the actual physical paper work went for Clark too. Very rarely would we get more than lip service towards his actual job, or he'd just bust it out at super speed. I'm not expecting actual full issues of him signing documents, but the implication that he's doing stuff to affect systemic change on a global or galactic scale and dealing with the stresses of that works for me quite a bit.
    I expected that kind of stuff too, but that just seems something that's more fully entrenched on pushing the Superman identity as the primary aspect. I don't think it necessitates erasing the secret identity.
    As far as the modern age goes, dual responsibility was the mark of the dual identity. The distinction grew weaker and weaker in terms of division in personality, and it became more about Clark (or Lois) keeping the bad guys that Superman puts away in jail.
    I think idea of a double life was the mark of a dual identity and that the character carried themselves differently and had different experiences in both lives that contrasted with each other and played off each other in fun ways. I don't think responsibility was as much of a factor even when sometimes they tried to combine the two lives more to further the story, but that's never felt very consistent in my opinion.
    Him no longer being allowing a private life outside of the public eye-- the indulgence of being able to be seen as mild mannered--seems to be framed as the heroic sacrifice here. But given the level he's trusted and liked, it won't be an "always on guard" sort of Truth situation, so one can imagine him just walking down the street in a shirt to grab some food Luke Cage or Steve Rogers style. And the Leviathan tie-in made it clear that the whole kidnap someone close to him to get to him is outmoded.
    I'd rather not .

Comparing it to Marvel heroes just makes me dislike it even more, especially with how the framework is just so different (or should be) for DC heroes. I'd rather not see the convention of the secret identity or why it exists get devalued to such an extent, even if it seems like something Bendis would do.
    Not to say that Bendis won't totally go for an assassination or randoms style story (who wouldn't), but the age old fear of "I don't tell people my identity to keep them safe" has been debunked. We're now calling it what it always was: Clark's indulgence. The little bit of himself that he didn't have to share with everyone. But now he's apparently in a position he's gotta be more selfless than ever. From Jor-El's "baby clothes" to here, as we understand it, is great character work....if he sticks the landing.
    I don't know if it's so much been debunked so much as something writers just don't want to deal with the consequences of or to push their own perspective on it. Even Bendis, with how flippant he is with the secret identity concept, has shown in his stories how utterly dangerous it can be when someone's identity is exposed or people who learn of a heroes identity getting in massive danger because of it. And that's just me limiting it to his work.

I think of it as an indulgence in some respects, if also a hindrance in others, but I wouldn't wholesale just call it an indulgence if only because I feel it should have more value and purpose then that. But that's just me.

I am intrigued and excited by what this could all potentially lead to. I'm not sure if they're actually going to out Clark's identity.....that has "short term gimmick" written all over it and Bendis seems to be trying to build something sustainable (could be possible though, I definitely ain't ruling it out!)....but whatever this is, it sounds interesting.

As for a reboot.....we know they're moving towards a continuity fix. They've been inching closer since Rebirth. The whole thing with Doomsday Clock and the missing decade, Snyder's JL, the Batman Who Laughs and Metal.....in-universe, history and reality are broken and people have been trying to understand and deal with it for ages. But that doesn't necessarily mean the current status quo's are going to be reset. DC could "fix" past continuity but leave the current directions and settings largely intact.

And if I can guess wildly here...this is some bendy logic so stay with me....let's presume for a second that things like Earth Prez and dead Alfred really are intended to be the new normal. Let's pretend that DC wants to take their characters into the next natural phases of their lives (all the imprints mean you can still use Alfred or non-political Superman, so there's more freedom than there used to be). No crazy, different-for-its-own-sake gimmicks, just "okay, after getting married and having a kid, what does Clark do next that makes sense and is faithful to the character?" Given how fans react to anything new, stuff like this always hits a wall. But what if you spent the last few years purposefully breaking continuity and driving fans insane with questions and contradictions in the history? What if you started to ease fans into the new normal, and then gave them back their continuity? They're going to be thrilled that history makes sense again (as much as it ever does anyway) and characters look familiar. Would that make these new life stages seem more acceptable? If fans have a shiny new/old continuity and can trace the developments from "Batman Year One" to "dead Alfred"......would all this then be seen as more viable and honest, and thus more likely to stick?

Didio always wanted a reboot, but the New52 was rushed and poorly communicated and rebooting back to day 1 has proven ineffective before. So what if DC is doing a reverse reboot? What if, instead of changing the past and bringing things back to Day 1, they're leaving the past in its classic form (or putting it back in that shape anyway) but making changes to the present?

Been a long day, and not totally sober.....so maybe this doesn't make any sense?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.