Page 5 of 613 FirstFirst 1234567891555105505 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The 90s didn't quite have a huge problem in collecting FOR art, but rather collecting speculation and rather unfortunate trends in art that overshadowed writing. this won't be the case regardless, but I truly hope Bendis tries harder than ever to tap into what he's writing.
    Yeah well once the speculator market fell comic shops were stuck with products they could not move because of the bad stories. Any who he was showing off his Superman collection which I hope is a sign that he is actually going to look into Superman more and not throw everything and only cherry pick what suits his fancy.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Wait a moment..

Help turn Metropolis into something as provocative and unique as Gotham City is.

I think that Metropolis is a good city too..

I will see that miniserie.. trying to give a chance to Man of Steel.. they are only 6 issues..
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.

This news thrills and scares me at the same time. Which hasn't happened with Superman books in a LOOOOOOONG time. I'm ready and willing to give this new Bendis driven era a shot. Let's see what he can bring our big guy.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Man, I was enjoying the Superman books so much, way to **** it up hard DC. Guess I'll just have New Super-Man for the for however long that last for the Super corner, won't ever give a Bendis book a chance again after the trashfire that was/still is Invincible Iron Man.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 02-01-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Superman is revealed to be the son of Brainiac adopted by the Els. Wee Wee Williams takes over the mantle of Superman. Superman eventually divorces Lois when he realizes he's gay. Take your pick.
    Lol

We know we will get the Bendis nonsense, but as long as i get amazing art like these guys can do, I can tolerate it.

those that havent read his post avngers runs on xmen and GoG, it was alot of flash and little substance, but in a way, it was still enjoyable as i read then, like cotton Candy or chocolate cake, full of sugar calories

Maybe he tries to put some more meat in this Superman dinner he is going to serve.

As to the Krypton revelation, he is going to turn it from a natural disaster to a villain blowing up the planet intentionally

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Both super titles are going monthly? No complaints, as long as both those books aren't released on the same day.
    That and I hope they don't make them 4.99 or higher books.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    He’s done something similar in the past with X-men where he wrote the two flagship titles at once. I thought it was nice how he tied them into one another so I think it’d be cool to see him do the same here with Superman. I’m not terribly concerned about a singular vision for the title, Bendis has proven himself to me, but I’m not looking forward to the potential Bendis-speak coming from certain characters.

Edit: are the titles going monthly btw? It kinda seems like they’d have to if he’s also writing for his imprint.
    I think Lois would sound awesome with Bendis-speak. I also enjoyed most of the Uncanny/All-New X-Men run, though it really collapsed at the end with dumb creative decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Wait a moment..

Help turn Metropolis into something as provocative and unique as Gotham City is.

I will see that miniserie.. trying to give a chance to Man of Steel.. they are only 6 issues..
    Metropolis is a good city - but I think it needs more focus, so I'm excited about this idea.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

I'm happy to hear about a Metropolis/Daily Planet focused Action, about time. And like everyone else has said, we need more spinoff books

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm of two minds on this.

A part of me really gets cheesed off after seeing the words "new status quo" and "Superman" in the same sentence. It only feels like they've just "fixed" Superman last week! I mean, yes we've had nearly two years of double shipping titles,but while Tomasi and Jurgens haven't always hit it out of the park, there's at least been a consistency in terms of characterization and story direction that we hadn't seen in a long time, and we have gotten some really decent stories and I can honestly say very little has really been outright terrible. Like Ascended, I LIKE the current status quo as is in terms of what Superman's world/continuity/character is. Plus, in spite of how I disliked how he was brought in, Jon has grown on me and even though there is an insistence from Bendis that his run is NOT a reboot, I won't be resting easy until the end of the new MOS miniseries because, frankly we've heard this Not a reboot spiel from DC twice over, first with the initial New 52 push and the lead up to REBIRTH, and we know now both were indeed reboots to some degree.

Bendis writing both titles also likely means we are done with the twice a month, nearly weekly format, and that's a shame. I liked going to Comixology every week knowing there was a new issue of Superman nearly every Wednesday. It took me back to my early teens and the triangle era.

Plus....ANOTHER SUPERMAN #1? Do we really need a renumbering AGAIN? I mean we got ACTION back to it's proper numbering. Why not SUPERMAN? Are they waiting for SUPERMAN 1000 too?

However....a part of me likes what he's hearing. While I'm not the hugest fan of Bendis, His original run of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN is hands down my favorite sustained Marvel comics run of the past 20 years and much of his earlier Marvel work was equally stellar. He's a good writer, and he seems genuinely excited to work on Superman, and that's always a plus.

Also, the idea of one writer overseeing the line for an extended period isn't the worst idea given that the last time that happened, it was John Byrne. Now, to this day I think the Post-Crisis reboot was a huge error, no one can argue that three year run from 1986-1988 didn't build a rock solid foundation for the character that later creators built upon and ran with for the next 20 years, 15 of which was largely successful. After over a decade and a half of false starts, truncated runs, endlessly retread origin retellings and revolving door creative staff, perhaps a singular vision from a singular creator is what is needed now at this juncture as Superman starts his 8th decade of publishing to truly move him forward.

Also...no Eddie Berganza or Matt Idelson in sight. A true fresh start with a new-ish editorial team, new head writer with a lot of clout (i.e. less likely to see much interference from Harras, DiDio or even Johns) with a clear and concise starting point with a new Mini-series to set everything up and the hugest push from DC for Superman specifically since at least the early 00's... it feels like DC does have some confidence in the Superman franchise again.

If Bendis really is truthful about this not tearing down or negating Tomasi and Jurgens hard work in righting the ship and building upon that...then this could be great.

For now...im keeping an open mind.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-01-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Wait a moment..

I think he means he wants Metropolis to be as distinct as Gotham, not that he'll be turning it into Gotham 2.0

I feel like we're gonna be seeing a lot of Bibbo again. Does anyone else feel like that's a possibility? More Bibbo is always a good thing.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Damn, this actually looks cool - him citing Superman #400 doesn't hurt, or Shaner getting involved. If nothing else, it's FANTASTIC to see this kind of force thrown behind Superman again.
    That's kind of the silver lining for me; DC putting their money where their mouth is and actually pushing Superman as their premiere hero once again.

But I still have huge reservations. Like someone said, if this flops Bendis will just be moved to another franchise while Superman & Co. get the back burner...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

"Bendis?
    Bendis.
    Bendis will write Superman.
    Bendis will write Superman?
    Superman and Action comics
    Bendis will write action comics too?
    Bendis will write action comics too.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So I just realized action comics won't be getting a new issue till July after action 1000, is this the first time we won't have a issue of action comics 2 months in a row in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So I just realized action comics won't be getting a new issue till July after action 1000, is this the first time we won't have a issue of action comics 2 months in a row in a while?
    Wow... yeah, that's gonna be strange.

Fantastic Member

You know what I don't need to read again? Superman's origin story. You know what I don't need to buy again? A Superman #1.

I'm not a Marvel reader, so I don't know Bendis's work. But I'm tired of seemingly every "big name" Superman writer now getting to have their own canon origin/early days story, and relaunches irritate me. I mean, we just got some semblance of things being put back together. That's not a knock on Bendis, but on DC's practices. I think we're all tired of that kind of stuff.

It's not clear in the story, so I guess we'll have to wait for the May solicits, but I do hope Tomasi and Gleason are getting to go all the way to issue 50 of their run. It would time out right around when the relaunch is supposed to happen.

Here's hoping Bendis remembers the Triangle Era has a lot of "building Metropolis" stuff in it and doesn't just blank-slate that.