Page 518 of 613 FirstFirst ... 18418468508514515516517518519520521522528568 ... LastLast
Results 7,756 to 7,770 of 9194

The major problem I see it is less that Superman is being Superman 24/7 (at the very least, it's been explored in expy characters like Hyperion, Mr. Majestic, even Invincible to some extent) or the loss of Clark Kent (though the metaphor of "any man can be a Superman" does lose a lot), and more that Bendis is trying to have his cake and eat it too by having him still be a writer, hanging out in the Daily Planet and investigating a corrupt mayor.

Typically speaking, Superman without the identity is done to focus on the big picture, trying to focus on making worldwide change rather than just leading by example since he now has more time in his hands now that he doesn't have to worry about paying for his rent. While I suppose this is being explored with the whole founding of the United Planets and Superman being President of the Earth, it's not going to be the thing that Superman is focusing the majority of his attention on (unless rumors about Jon becoming Superman 2 are true, but I digress), it's still going to be this juggling act of responsibility. Superman is still the "cosmic" book and Action Comics is still the "little guys" book. Granted, it's probably simpler in this than having to contrive Clark out of town half the time, but I honestly find letting only the Daily Planet staff into the secret more interesting than this status quo.

Realistically, no one would blame Superman if he just moved to the Fortress of Solitude, but he's not going to do that because no one, least of all Bendis, wants to lose that everyday human touch where Superman helps out his neighbors. In other words, it's what Stan Lee called "the illusion of change": all the pieces are in the same place, they just look slightly different.

(And odds are, when Bendis leaves, be it one year or ten, the next writer will probably just handwave the secret identity back faster than you can say "Purple Children" simply because that human element is a lot easier with Clark.)

I don’t think anyone is expecting this to last forever. Status Quo is God and inevitably things will be reset, whether through a retcon or another reboot. Assuming 5G doesn’t bomb I can pretty much tell you that the Superman status quo will be restored by 2023, since that’s Superman’s 85th and when most insiders have been predicting the next serious attempt at a Superman movie by WB will be made. So I’m just going to keep on Bendis’ wild ride for now and hope for the best. I liked his reveal issue so we’re off to a good start.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

But suppose the next big attempt at a Superman movie has him reveal his identity to the world similar to this?

I mean, Bendis has been very open about how he had to get approval from not just simply DC Comics but also big ol WB to do this, and do it as a legit thing going forward.

And WB is famously at a point where they're ready to approach the character from a new angle. I mean, I dunno. I just wouldn't count it out.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But suppose the next big attempt at a Superman movie has him reveal his identity to the world similar to this?

I mean, Bendis has been very open about how he had to get approval from not just simply DC Comics but also big ol WB to do this, and do it as a legit thing going forward.

And WB is famously at a point where they're ready to approach the character from a new angle. I mean, I dunno. I just wouldn't count it out.
    They’ve never gave a damn what the comic guys have to say, I doubt they’ve started now. If Abrams gets the job it will be a very traditional Superman story, you can count on that. Besides the sales haven’t really been so extraordinary that the higher ups would take notice, Bendis has been a fairly typical seller on Superman. You’re more likely to see Morrison’s New 52 run get adapted then Bendis’ stuff.

Yeah, unless this was Marvel Studios I doubt they'd immediately go into a story about the new movie Superman outing his identity given it would waste the chance for the actor to get to play Clark Kent and do all the recognizable aspects of Superman in his double-life.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

From Superman issue 19 next month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B59KXTNp...d=7ut1mkvg7e6v

Seems like a giant superhero celebration for Superman coming out as Clark Kent.

I see Wonder Woman remains skeptical if not outright upset about this like in today's issue.

You think maybe Wonder Woman will act as a voice that's a bit in line with some skeptical fans? Rucka has expressed his reservations on the reveal, so maybe he and Bendis will have Diana formulate that argument?

That would be fascinating now that I think about it.
    Wait, isn't Diana the one who was the most open about her status as a hero and never really had a secret identity for the most part? Seems weird she of all the heroes would be the one they would use as the mouth piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’ve never gave a damn what the comic guys have to say, I doubt they’ve started now. If Abrams gets the job it will be a very traditional Superman story, you can count on that. Besides the sales haven’t really been so extraordinary that the higher ups would take notice, Bendis has been a fairly typical seller on Superman. You’re more likely to see Morrison’s New 52 run get adapted then Bendis’ stuff.
    I'm not ruling out either something more traditional or close to what Morrison did, but given Bendis kind of inexplicable track record for getting his ideas adapted in at least some form or another (seriously, outside of Stand and Jack, Bendis is maybe the creator most credited in the MCU both film and TV. It's kind of nuts) and the general air of WB seeming to be in the mood for something that's slightly less traditional, I see no reason to rule it out completely.

I mean, just last year a few of us were said to be living in delusion for thinking Superman getting his son Jon in anything other than animation. Now Superman and Lois is a thing. And before that quite a few people thought Jon would be something only relegated to comics because of the logistics behind adapting him anywhere.

I'm not not saying anything other than "hey, it could happen".

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, unless this was Marvel Studios I doubt they'd immediately go into a story about the new movie Superman outing his identity given it would waste the chance for the actor to get to play Clark Kent and do all the recognizable aspects of Superman in his double-life.
    They haven't really seemed all that interested in most of the trappings that come along with a traditional dual identity for a while though, so I'm not sure how you can be that sure on your stance. Again, not saying it's for sure, or that I believe it with all my heart, but rather that based on their recent track record it's at least a possibility
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-12-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Brothers and sisters of Superman beard aficionados, REJOICE, for we have found yet another *possible* kindred spirit in brother Bendis.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...93532169056256

"we're thinking clark might go 'full letterman' "

A joyous day indeed.

But seriously though sign me all the way up for the bearded super president of Earth if at all possible
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

I doubt it, did Daredevil's exposed identity ever see light outside comics? I might be wrong, I know little of Marvel's animation, but I don't think it did. And that was kinda the big famous/successful one. Other media has kept the Clark/Superman duality around pretty much consistently all these years. While the comics keeps revealing it, reverses it and reveals it again. Which makes me think it's just someone higher up in the comics department that wants Clark gone/de-emphasised. Not the guys running the movies, tv shows and cartoons.

They haven't really seemed all that interested in most of the trappings that come along with a traditional dual identity for a while though, so I'm not sure how you can be that sure on your stance. Again, not saying it's for sure, or that I believe it with all my heart, but rather that based on their recent track record it's at least a possibility
    Whether they struggle to actually focus on it is one thing but they usually at least still implement it as a factor in stories, and we've gotten Superman in the films so sporadically that that might factor into the seeming lack of Clark Kent focus.
    Brothers and sisters of Superman beard aficionados, REJOICE, for we have found yet another *possible* kindred spirit in brother Bendis.

A joyous day indeed.

But seriously though sign me all the way up for the bearded super president of Earth if at all possible
    Well, he doesn't really need to bother with his appearance anymore and is retiring for Jon, so...

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I doubt it, did Daredevil's exposed identity ever see light outside comics?
    I mean, I imagine it would've if the show went on long enough. Would've been one hell of a crossover to have Matt as the new Kingpin interact with Luke as the new king of Harlem. But the big take away from Daredevil being that it was pretty heavily inspired by Bendis' work as well as Miller's. Same goes for Luke Cage, and of course Jessica Jones. My point just being that he gets adapted a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Whether they struggle to actually focus on it is one thing
    I actually think it's more than just one thing though. It's the fact that, in recent memory, outside of specifically copying or paying homage to Reeve, Clark Kent as Clark Kent comes off as obligatory at best, and chores at worst as far as I've seen from WB. They gave the OK to a movie where their is no iconic Superman/Lois/Clark love triangle, or any trapping of classic mild-mannered Clark or the dual identity to speak of. And his scenes were mostly cut from the theatrical release of the follow up film.

And as it stands, the big vocal issues (non die hard) people had coming out of those films didn't actually have to do specifically with a lack of Clark being in glasses and doing his thing or him and Lois not playing triangle for two. The issues were with tone and story choices. So in that regard, not as many people have been screaming at them about that stuff, and it's also not what people in the industry cite as an issue. That's more them throwing around things like "needs to be more hopeful" or "bright" or "fun" or "inspiring".

A new angle on the character that gets to be all about self acceptance, accountability to power, and general truth sounds like something may freshen him up in the eyes of WB or some perspective filmmaker, and they also do away with what seemed to be just an obligation to them. It at least sounds plausible to me right now.

he doesn't really need to bother with his appearance anymore
    Yup! It's the perfect time for the lovers of the Super beard to rise
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-12-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

A joyous day indeed.

As a bearded man, I say... First Arthur and now Clark? Nay! I prefer my Supermen clean shaven.

I think it works on Arthur. Hell I think it could work on Bruce too...not so much Clark though. At least I don't think so.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Guess we are forgetting that period of Superman having a beard during the new 52 days

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Guess we are forgetting that period of Superman having a beard during the new 52 days
    I didn’t! But Future’s End was pretty bad overall imo so it’s no surprise it’s been forgotten.