Page 523 of 613 FirstFirst ... 23423473513519520521522523524525526527533573 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Huh....that quote certainly adds more context to your theory. WELL...if that actually ends up happening, I'm sure this forum will be very civil and cordial .
    For once, I won't blame anyone for this if Bendis indeed did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    All this talk of Jon being Gay/Straight/Bi and Whatever the ****. Let's acknowledge that last year same month he was just a fun loving kid. This whole change is still mostly hated to begin with unless you're a Bendis kiss ass which admittedly their are suprising amount. Why put the kid in a box he should not be in a relationship what should happen is he goes back to being a kid, or the one we have now needs to dissapear with the quickness, or is just a clone ect.. This just ain't it...
    That's good old Bendis for you.

I did surprisingly enjoy some of his work on DC, but what he did with Jon was definitely an unnecessary change that turned into a huge mess.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

I won't die on a hill for defending something that hasn't happened, but even if Bendis did make Jon gay, why does that deserve backlash? Sure, there have been teases of Jon having crushes on girls as a child, he has had several years of his life on earth 3 that we never saw. A lot could have changed for him to become interested in men since then. Again though, this may not even be a thing to worry about so I don't know if it warrants much discussion right now.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think, if jondami is acknowledged, then it deserves a backlash. That's disgusting. It's not happened, yet. And i do think it won't. Other than that i don't particularly care. I do think however, that jon has been bland ever since his return. He's been written with no charm, personality... Etc. Bendis just doesn't get Jon's voice right for me. Nor is his personality right now something interesting. Bendis needs to work on that. Relationships should be secondary and unimportant business. I don't care who jon dates.what i care for his portrayal as scifi, fantasy, action.. Etc hero. Bendis is trying that. I loved the planet earth in legion book. So i can appreciate that. But, still i would have preferred the missing years be fleshed out than relationship drama.This is a main problem i have with superman ip now. The relationship, romance, drama.. Etc are front and centre. I don't care for a superman who is entrenched in the mundane. I want creative stuff. I want a superman who is married to the adventure first and foremost. A true romantic like luffy. I hope jon is that. Clearly, clark isn't that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Jon had a potential crush on Kathy, admitted to having a crush on one of his classmates to Damian in Super Sons, his red duplicate was teased by his blue half for 'holding hands' with an alien girl and when he was trapped in the Wonder Machine, he imagined his future self married to an unknown wife with a son in Hamilton County. So if Bendis makes Jon gay or bi, that contradicts Jon's characterisation up to this point. Not that Jon cares about romance or girls but at every instance, he's been shown to be heterosexual. Then again this is the same idiotic writer who made Iceman gay for no reason so I don't doubt Bendis' hack credentials at this point.
    I came here to write somewhat the same. Yeah, Tomasi had established something, but pfft who needs to do their homework am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    All this talk of Jon being Gay/Straight/Bi and Whatever the ****. Let's acknowledge that last year same month he was just a fun loving kid. This whole change is still mostly hated to begin with unless you're a Bendis kiss ass which admittedly their are suprising amount. Why put the kid in a box he should not be in a relationship what should happen is he goes back to being a kid, or the one we have now needs to dissapear with the quickness, or is just a clone ect.. This just ain't it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

That's good old Bendis for you.

I did surprisingly enjoy some of his work on DC, but what he did with Jon was definitely an unnecessary change that turned into a huge mess.

Sounds like the rest of the dc universe is getting the age up treatment. When people eventually get tired of Bruce and Clark being 60, just fix Jon’s age when they fix everyone else’s.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think, if jondami is acknowledged, then it deserves a backlash. That's disgusting. It's not happened, yet. And i do think it won't. Other than that i don't particularly care. I do think however, that jon has been bland ever since his return. He's been written with no charm, personality... Etc. Bendis just doesn't get Jon's voice right for me. Nor is his personality right now something interesting. Bendis needs to work on that. Relationships should be secondary and unimportant business. I don't care who jon dates.what i care for his portrayal as scifi, fantasy, action.. Etc hero. Bendis is trying that. I loved the planet earth in legion book. So i can appreciate that. But, still i would have preferred the missing years be fleshed out than relationship drama.This is a main problem i have with superman ip now. The relationship, romance, drama.. Etc are front and centre. I don't care for a superman who is entrenched in the mundane. I want creative stuff. I want a superman who is married to the adventure first and foremost. A true romantic like luffy. I hope jon is that. Clearly, clark isn't that anymore.
    If you want a character study from Bendis then you'll be disappointed. Stunts upon stunts for "shock value".

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I won't die on a hill for defending something that hasn't happened, but even if Bendis did make Jon gay, why does that deserve backlash? Sure, there have been teases of Jon having crushes on girls as a child, he has had several years of his life on earth 3 that we never saw. A lot could have changed for him to become interested in men since then. Again though, this may not even be a thing to worry about so I don't know if it warrants much discussion right now.
    Because I don't think Bendis has earned the right to reveal this about Jon when everything he has done to him has been mixed at best.

If Bendis decided to do this to Riri, Miles or anyone of his creation, I don't think anyone would have a problem because they are his characters. Jon is still relatively new and his writers who created/contributed the most to him are still alive and working for DC and it should be their right to make this decision about him.

And by backlash, I of course don't mean people should harass Bendis or being overly dramatic over this.
    Last edited by Rise; 01-12-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    If you want a character study from Bendis then you'll be disappointed. Stunts upon stunts for "shock value".
    No, not a character study. Just making the character Interesting and his voice better would be good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If she's not straight I bet you she's the one who dates Shadow Lass. Bendis made the joke about "what will the internet say when Shadow Lass is dating Cosmic Boy", and I could totally see that being a troll.
    I'd find that amusing if only because Imra on Supergirl ended up coming off more like Shadow Lass then she did Saturn Girl, on-top of having a relationship with Mon-El.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, not to mention it's a bad look given they are traditionally a classic DC couple and he was just made black, so it would look like they're trying to dodge an interracial relationship, which DC doesn't have many that I can recall. It's why I wanted Carter and Kendra to hook up after Metal.

I won't accuse Bendis of any awful things, he's definitely not the guy to run from any representation, but I would say it's bad timing.

For all we know, the reveal is that she's already dating Lightning Lad in secret.

Still think Jon's the better choice to be gay.
    Agreed on all this. But while I would like the Lightning Lad reveal...that seems too straightforward for Bendis at this point, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    That's not Earth 1 Jon Kent, that's Ultraboy from Earth 3. The real one is still trapped in the daycare from hell on Earth 3.
    I'm personally hoping for the Parallax-like parasite that the Legion needs to excise. We're in the same boat though...wanting something that has no chance of happening, just on polar opposite sides, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, not to mention it's a bad look given they are traditionally a classic DC couple and he was just made black, so it would look like they're trying to dodge an interracial relationship, which DC doesn't have many that I can recall. It's why I wanted Carter and Kendra to hook up after Metal.
    This really doesn't make much sense in this context. I mean, if Saturn Girl were to be reveled as not straight then that would add queer couple to the DCU-- something they also don't have a lot of. And that whole team is made up of people from different races (over half of the team is non white), so the likelihood of an interracial relationship is higher than it's ever been for the Legion. And that's not even mentioning the fact that Saturn Girl could end up dating Dawnstar for all we know. Hell, Wildfire could date Karate Kid. They seem pretty close from the two issues we've seen so far (when Saturn Girl put everyone to sleep Karate Kid was the one expressing worry for Wildfire. And in issue Wildfire indulges Kid's theatrics because he knows it means something to him).

All I'm saying is that interracial representation is a pretty big non issue on this team.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'd rather Bendis have just bumped up an actual established queer Legion reps (or maybe work with members who've never had established relationships) but I'm probably acting on a level of investment to the original versions and their relationships then Bendis is with his approach.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm probably acting on a level of investment to the original versions and their relationships then Bendis is with his approach.
    And I'm sure Bendis respects and is aware of that given the fact that he's said multiple times that he knows he's gonna take some lumps from Legion fans for this.

And remember that this is just speculation. For all we know Saturn Girl has been dating Lighting Lad this whole time.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I came here to write somewhat the same. Yeah, Tomasi had established something, but pfft who needs to do their homework am I right?
    I personally don't give a damn if Jon is gay or not, though I find the idea of him and Damian pretty gross. Let them be bros without any weird sexual undercurrent.

But Tomasi established something? Yeah, he established that Jon, at age ten, assumed he'd marry a girl someday and had a ten year old's crush on a couple girls. I don't believe that counts for very much, since at that age people are just kinda following the social scripts. If Jon had been older and the hormones had been functioning, then sure that'd establish a little something. But a ten year old? No, that doesn't amount to a damn thing as far as establishing what Jon likes as a mostly-grown young man.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, I'd agree, it doesn't necessarily contradict anything at all, in the hypothetical that Bendis went there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El