Page 526 of 613 FirstFirst ... 26426476516522523524525526527528529530536576 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,890 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I think what's fascinating about this is that even though I explicitly stated its fine not to be into the idea of Damian/Jon as a couple (I'm not even myself personally) but merely pointed out that being against the idea of it due to some sort of vague moral principle or presenting those who do as wrong and disgusting was a harmful double standard as it carries a ton of hurtful implications about queer kids, instead of actually engaging in that discussion (or any other points I made) you chose to get defensive and started to argue that suddenly it was a matter of not being in favour of incest of your own volition.

Well spoiler alert Jon and Damian aren't related so you'll have to put your goal posts on another hill to die on I'm afraid.

Here a quick tip for any future discussions you may have, if want people to actually believe you don't have a biased or bigoted tendencies when problems with your language are pointed out to you and that you are open to having an honest discussion in good faith, your response shouldnt be to start equating the thing to something worst as means of dodging responsibility for your own choice of words.

Also who's Jimmy?
    You are on a superman forum. And you are asking who is jimmy. Seriously? Is this a joke?
    It isn't due to some vague principle. I have strict standards . Sure, enough it's not set in stone. But, there are things i don't particularly care for. Your idea that this has bad implications to queers is your own making. Would damian having feelings for jason or dick or tim be acceptable? No, it wouldn't. Because they are brothers. Unlike, these guys jon was essentially the little brother to damian.Any idiot reading comic saw that. Even clark had come to regard damian as family. Clark was overprotective, before bendis came along. Damian is the other person after lois clark trusts the most with jon. Damian is fiercely protective of jon like a big brother is towards his little sister or brother. He protected jon by even fighting the titans. That's the kind of protectivness damian has for jon. Damian never had to be protective of his other brothers.jon too had an admiration for damian. Jon loved that damian used to teach him things and hated the times he didn't. For instance sword fighting, jon wanted to learn it but, damian turned him down. even though, he hated being "the kid" and the younger one. That's the fundamental basic of their back and forth.
    "i am older"
    "but, i am taller"

Damian was responsible for jon. If and when things happen clark would question damian, not jon. That tells you, what clark thought of damian. Now, to attraction. Kathy, jon's other friend had clear attraction towards jon. It was very much evident. See the difference in body language. Kathy is clearly attracted to jon because it can be seen by how she approaches him. On the other hand, jon's reactions to Kathy's advances have been ambiguous to somewhat positive. But, jon was a kid who was just beginning to notice these things. He didn't think much of crushes or anything of the sorts

See the difference, in dynamics. That's a father-figure talking to his kids. That's a little brother complaining about the elder one. There are countless,more.

My language has no bigoted tendency. Anyone who has read supersons knows how damian and jon are. I didn't feel the need to bring up the two characters history. Because it was self evident, people had countless discussions on this stuff. Sure, enough there is contingent of jondami fans like superbat fans. But, that doesn’t mean anything. Jondami like superbat cannot and should not happen in this particular continuity because these guys are brothers.They have a history as brothers and as family,without any sexual undercurrents. That history just doesn't allow me to see them as anything else. I feel natural revulsion at the thought . Perhaps, maybe in another continuity or world i can get behind it. But, it cannot start of and be portrayed like these supersons, who are brothers.

Your idea of honest discussion is just name calling.And You are teaching me proper conduct? Seriously? Get out of here with that. There are many times i have been bullheaded and stubborn. But, i usually try to keep myself in check. I am only human, i can only do so much.
    Now, i don't know if i am feeding a troll. But, this is my final word.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tomasi’s Jon is clearly straight. His heat vision activates for the first time around Kathy, the same way Clark’s heat vision activated for the first time in SO when Lana kissed him (don’t forget Johns helped plot all the first Rebirth story arcs for all the books). I’m kind of curious where this whole “Bendis is going to make Jon gay” theory is coming from. I haven’t seen any evidence it’s in the cards, Jon is just older now, he hasn’t expressed any interest in dudes. I’m honestly half expecting him and Saturn Girl to get together since she’s a blond telepath like Kathy. I wouldn’t mind Jon being gay but I’d be hesitant about Bendis doing that reveal, his Iceman reveal was... not good.
    Bendis says that jon x imra thing might not happen because of some grand revelation. Honestly, i am not particularly fond of that if imra and clark had been childhood friends. Otherwise, i can begrudgingly accept that and other jon x legion ships that are sailing. Sheesh! He was just a kid a year ago. Now, we are talking about his sexual preferences and stupid ships. Whatever, jon shouldn't be just his sexual preferences or shipping nonsense. He wasn't. As a matter of fact he was interesting without needing any such thing. So, if writers turn him into just those things it would be bad for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You are right. It's the first time someone accused me of being a homophobe. It did sting a little.
    It pissed me off too. But you and me and a lot of others here have been around a while. We all know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m kind of curious where this whole “Bendis is going to make Jon gay” theory is coming from. I haven’t seen any evidence it’s in the cards, Jon is just older now, he hasn’t expressed any interest in dudes.
    I don't know how or why this became a talking point either. But I'm a few issues behind on stuff, and even if there hasn't been anything concrete to point things in that direction, people just expect Bendis to use this kind of narrative. He's big on proper representation, and has been known to ignore continuity to make it happen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You are on a superman forum. And you are asking who is jimmy. Seriously? Is this a joke?
    Bro. Come on, don't take the bait. There's only one person here who's been rude, hateful, and insulting. You don't have to explain or justify anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Bro. Come on, don't take the bait. There's only one person here who's been rude, hateful, and insulting. You don't have to explain or justify anything.
    I know, i just didn't want to feel like the one who didn't engage. That was my last word. I am just going to ignore from now on.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

He's big on proper representation, and has been known to ignore continuity to make it happen.
    But in this case he wouldn't really be ignoring continuity. Whatever was implied as a 10 year old doesn't hold the most water.

And just for the sake of being clear, I'm pretty sure I was the one who started the notion. And I keep trying to stress that it was a theory, but we've gone pretty far off the rails by now. I have about three reasons why I even began to theorize this in the first place. 1) the aesthetic and general energy of Bendis' Legion is very inclusive and diverse. 2) Jon's gonna be the Superman for 5G, and if they're going with a Batman of color then they may go with a non straight Superman. 3) The CW is basically giving him a show, and if the Supergirl show is any indication, they're likely to want to add in representation this way.

But all of those points are easily countered. 1) the reason they changed Lightning Lad's race is possibly because that'd leave Jon as the focused on straight white dude (Bendis admits that he's not leaning on Mon-El very hard). 2) They could just simply go with a straight Superman with a much different with a new way of approaching being Superman. 3) There's a fair chance that Jason White, Routh-Superman's son, may back the second kid in the casting call, and he may be adopted by Lois and Clark to grow up alongside Jon. And they may take the opportunity to show representation with him since that'll actually be the flip of the Kara and Alex situation (Kara's adopted by straight, and Alex is the natural born child but gay) .

Like I said, I dunno. But, if I may, can we all please chill out a bit? There's no need to dog pile a member of this forum. All I've seen here is that most just explained their points a bit poorly. I honestly just think a few key words were read, and emotions got high because of that. So lets take a step back and either move on or inject some civility into this whole thing. From what I read you agree more than you disagree, and you just got hung up on the vernacular.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-13-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But in this case he wouldn't really be ignoring continuity. Whatever was implied as a 10 year old doesn't hold the most water.
    I know, that's what I've been saying! Jon having a crush on Kathy at the ripe old age of ten doesn't mean he's not gay.

~ Black Panther.

I know, that's what I've been saying! Jon having a crush on Kathy at the ripe old age of ten doesn't mean he's not gay.
    Exactly. Just echoing your point, and it also doesn't mean he's not straight. We're at a point where all that's left to do is wait for the issue to come out.

But just so I've sufficiently run this theory into the ground, I'll accept nothing less than him dating Naomi if he turns out to be straight
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But just so I've sufficiently run this theory into the ground, I'll accept nothing less than him dating Naomi if he turns out to be straight
    You've mentioned that before. And gods, I'm so torn on the idea! On the one hand, I want Naomi to stand on her own as an IP. I want that girl to be as big as she can possibly get, with all the effort DC can muster thrown at her. So to that end I want love interests to be "in house" and not dependent on a bigger franchise.

But damned if they wouldn't be the cutest couple, and dating Jon wouldn't hurt Naomi's public profile either and would help get some eyes on her.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    And here I thought I see only one incest comment, how naive.

I shouldn't be too suprised these are these were the same tactics used to argue against gay marriage and how somehow it's leglization would lead to an epidemic of incest weddings one day.

Are you all you going to bring up beastility next cause this is all really transparent.
    You're being overly dramatic. People bring up a perceived and enjoyable brotherly/sisterly bond as reasons for not liking a particular ship all the time, and its a completely valid stance, whether one agrees or disagrees with the particular examples or not. It has zero to do with some gross shock value argument against homosexuality or something. That's very unfair to jump through that hoop and paint good people with that kind of brush like they're purposefully using gross-out arguments specifically against homosexuality. Because its not a gross-out tactic at all, be it against homosexuality or any other orientation. Some people don't like Superman and Wonder Woman on those grounds. Some people didn't like Buffy and Xander on those grounds. Some people didn't like Ichigo and Rukia on those grounds. And on and on in all walks of fandom.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

You've mentioned that before. And gods, I'm so torn on the idea! On the one hand, I want Naomi to stand on her own as an IP. I want that girl to be as big as she can possibly get, with all the effort DC can muster thrown at her. So to that end I want love interests to be "in house" and not dependent on a bigger franchise.

But damned if they wouldn't be the cutest couple, and dating Jon wouldn't hurt Naomi's public profile either and would help get some eyes on her.
    The way I see it is that it'd ideally be a Luke Cage and Jessica Jones situation. A very similar situation where Bendis took an existing character and romantically linked them with a new character of his own creation. And from that point he was able to rise the profile of both characters and keep them both going in at least one book when either they both had none or his new character had none. Since then Jessica has gotten her own show and her own high profile book.

I think it'd be mutually beneficial.

It could most definitely be mutually beneficial. I think it'd benefit Naomi either way. Like I said, I just want her IP to stand on its own. Jessica managed it, this is true (and I do adore that messed up, crazy alcoholic! Mom-Jessica is less fun, but still good) and there's really no reason why Naomi couldn't too. I've just become very protective of that character. Best new thing DC has done since Batwoman, and I dont want her screwed up by good intentions or end up dependent on the Super-franchise, yknow? Like, ten years from now I want her in the Justice League and I dont want anyone saying she only got there because of her boyfriend.

~ Black Panther.

I hear you, and I have to imagine that Bendis wants nothing but the same. And I also think Bendis is easily the most successful modern day creator when it comes to keeping his characters alive, relevant, and thriving, so *IF* he's ultimately maneuvering them together then I think he's thought things through for both their interests. And in all the stuff that I've read of his regarding superheroes, he tends to favor putting either heroes together or putting characters who overtly mirror each other together unless its a pre established relationship.

That's primarily why I don't see him just going with a normal or 'in house' character for either character honestly. And both characters interestingly enough have no relationships teed up for them or even really hinted at. Jon's gonna spend however long in future and then come back to basically no one in 5G in that way, and the closest thing to a hint in regards to anything romantic with Naomi is her friend Annabelle implying that she had a crush on Superman, and her birth mother assuring her that there were good guys like her birth father out there.

Oh man, I can't wait to read this issue now ! Why isn't it out there already ?