Page 53 of 613 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast
    BANNED

A bit more.

Bendis praised his artistic collaborators on the Superman books, and said that all of Man of Steel is already written. He also clarified that he’s picking up from the current Superman and Action Comics storylines. “Dan Jurgens has been insanely gracious and cool with me, and I’m working with Pat Gleason on Action Comics,” Bendis said. “Pete Tomasi has been doing awesome work. We’ll be continuing the story that’s being told, but what we think is a great, fresh place to pick up the book.”

Bendis said he’s also surprised by discovering how much he loves writing certain characters. “I love writing Green Lantern. Yes, Green Lantern shows up in Man of Steel.”

“So many writers like writing the icons, I like writing the people,” Bendis continued. “I’ve been diving real hard into the people behind the icons.”

Last question concerned the challenge of writing Superman. “Writing Superman makes me feel good,” Bendis said. “It makes me feel the world could be this way if we get out stuff together. Also, I’m a father. I’m a man with a few jobs. I relate to this way more than I thought I would have. I look amazing in blue tights. I didn’t know!”
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Well, things are still sounding fine to me. I've heard about his penchant of political statements so I was expecting that, and it doesn't bother me. Its all about the execution. Does it flow with the story? Do the overt political elements take me out of the story being told? Does a character act OOC to be a mouthpiece for a particular writer? Those are the important questions when the topic arises of "political" stories. Executed right, it doesn't bother me at all even if said message doesn't staunchly fit my own leanings.

His answer to Clark's role sounds just fine as well. He doesn't give a definitive answer to the "Who's the real guy?" question, rather he deflects just a bit and instead comments on what he sees Clark's role as. This is good, because there IS no definitive answer. The original sin of post-Crisis is not necessarily flipping things around and focusing on Clark more, it was constantly answering that question in the definitive "Clark is the man, Superman is the mask". As for how he sees Clark, why he chose to be a journalist and how he represents truth in his human guise...its right on the mark to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well, things are still sounding fine to me. I've heard about his penchant of political statements so I was expecting that, and it doesn't bother me. Its all about the execution. Does it flow with the story? Do the overt political elements take me out of the story being told? Does a character act OOC to be a mouthpiece for a particular writer? Those are the important questions when the topic arises of "political" stories. Executed right, it doesn't bother me at all even if said message doesn't staunchly fit my own leanings.
    Agreed with all of this (surprise surprise).

It's odd, but the more Bendis talks about Superman, the more I'm looking forward to seeing it. I mean, say what you will about the guy's quality but it really seems like his heart is in this, and right now that's probably more important than anything. A while back I said that Clark needs a writer who is a super-fan, who can give Clark those crazy badass Super-God moments that writers like Snyder have given Batman over the years. I never thought Bendis would be the guy I was talking about, but here we are.

And Sacred, is it me or do I spend a ton of time here just quoting your posts and saying "Yup. Me too!" ?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Haha, well I do the same thing. Its a little TOO convenient. We're leading to a promo where eventually one of us hits the other in the back with a steel chair and reveals we're wearing an NWO t-shirt.

Though reading Bendis's comments on Clark it struck me how his explanation on his role as a reporter is stuff you've said hundreds of times here. I'm not surprised you're looking forward to his run the more you read. I am too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis is live right now right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoTWBsaVVI4

Haha, well I do the same thing. Its a little TOO convenient. We're leading to a promo where eventually one of us hits the other in the back with a steel chair and reveals we're wearing an NWO t-shirt.
    Bwahaha!

Though reading Bendis's comments on Clark it struck me how his explanation on his role as a reporter is stuff you've said hundreds of times here. I'm not surprised you're looking forward to his run the more you read. I am too.
    Yeah, of all the creators at the Big 2, I never thought Bendis would be the guy this close to my own view. I suspect he leans heavier on the "Clark" side of things than I do, but perhaps not by as much as I would've expected.

If he can handle "Superman" as well as he seems to be handling "Clark" I am going to become a Bendis fan again, for the first time since Daredevil. I know there's stuff in Action 1K that is preventing him from talking about that side of the character....but I am very curious/dreading what he's got in mind for that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That's where I'm hoping the Superman title will deliver the balance. I'm prepared that Action will be the Clark, supporting cast heavy book. They've advertised it as such and that's fine. But for the balance I'm hoping he and Reis deliver the more superhero-y side of things in Superman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

From the youtube interview I posted above

-rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core in AC1000.
    -Bendis thinks Metropolis is the most culturally diversity city in the world, since Superman can be considered the most known and prominent immigrant.
    -Bendis favorite Superman/DC issue is Superman 400.
    -He finds Lois to be the bravest character in all of comics.
    -There will be lots of new people at the daily planet and in Metropolis we will meet
    -When Superman goes off somewhere in Metropolis, there are villains that do things behind the scenes that Superman isn't even aware of. We'll get to see that.
    -Bendis accidentally writers daily bugle instead of daily planet in his scripts and he jokes around about Greg Pak doing that during his new 52 run.

Interview is over. Everything else is info we already know.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Hm...could be a Kryptonian name.

That's where I'm hoping the Superman title will deliver the balance. I'm prepared that Action will be the Clark, supporting cast heavy book. They've advertised it as such and that's fine. But for the balance I'm hoping he and Reis deliver the more superhero-y side of things in Superman.
    I am more than fine with this approach actually. Done right, it gives different fans a place to go. Though I don't understand the logic of using Action as the place for the supporting cast, character introspection. I know there's historical precedent for it, but it still seems dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core.
    Shall we start guessing what this big reveal is? Other than pointless and unnecessary of course.

My guess? The Fourth World originally had three planets; New Genesis (representing honor), Apokolips (representing evil), and Krypton (representing knowledge). Something terrible happened to Krypton and it "fell" into our universe, where it died. Clark is actually a higher dimensional god who has been "squeezed" into three dimensional space. And he's not the only survivor. Metron was from Krypton as well, which is why he rarely picks a side between Highfather and Darkseid, and because its Bendis, Metron had something to do with Krypton's fall.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I am more than fine with this approach actually. Done right, it gives different fans a place to go. Though I don't understand the logic of using Action as the place for the supporting cast, character introspection. I know there's historical precedent for it, but it still seems dumb.

Shall we start guessing what this big reveal is? Other than pointless and unnecessary of course.

My guess? The Fourth World originally had three planets; New Genesis (representing honor), Apokolips (representing evil), and Krypton (representing knowledge). Something terrible happened to Krypton and it "fell" into our universe, where it died. Clark is actually a higher dimensional god who has been "squeezed" into three dimensional space. And he's not the only survivor. Metron was from Krypton as well, which is why he rarely picks a side between Highfather and Darkseid, and because its Bendis, Metron had something to do with Krypton's fall.
    Right, this is pretty close to what I been thinking. I never liked that Superman only have powers under the yellow sun, I like to think that he only don't have powers under the red sun. Maybe kryptonians were confined in one of the few places where they would not have powers, perhaps because they once tried to conquer the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    From the youtube interview I posted above

-rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core in AC1000.
    -Bendis thinks Metropolis is the most culturally diversity city in the world, since Superman can be considered the most known and prominent immigrant.
    -Bendis favorite Superman/DC issue is Superman 400.
    -He finds Lois to be the bravest character in all of comics.
    -There will be lots of new people at the daily planet and in Metropolis we will meet
    -When Superman goes off somewhere in Metropolis, there are villains that do things behind the scenes that Superman isn't even aware of. We'll get to see that.
    -Bendis accidentally writers daily bugle instead of daily planet in his scripts and he jokes around about Greg Pak doing that during his new 52 run.

Interview is over. Everything else is info we already know.
    Hmm... these are all actually interesting to here. I'm getting kind of excited. I've always wanted Metropolis to be as developed as Gotham. For the longest time, the city's just been a back drop. Hopefully, he can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Even Ed Brubaker's run on DAREDEVIL was less depressing! Which is truly saying something!
    I don't know man, that Mr Fear arc was probably one of the most depressing things I ever read on a superhero comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

That seems like something Morrison came up with but would never put on paper because he respects Kirby and Siegel/Shuster too much and would see linking them as wrong (it also reminds me of an idea I had once but just a little bit).

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    That seems like something Morrison came up with
    Im going to take that as high praise.

but would never put on paper because he respects Kirby and Siegel/Shuster too much and would see linking them as wrong
    Oh, it should never be done. Totally agreed. But since when has that ever stopped DC?

~ Black Panther.