Page 537 of 613 FirstFirst ... 37437487527533534535536537538539540541547587 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,055 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Normally I’d say that would sound preposterous with all the government related characters who have been involved with Checkmate in the past but, and I mean no disrespect when I say this, it is Bendis we are talking about. I could honestly believe that if he wanted to he would write that story if that is the one he felt like telling.
    Also it wouldn't be very surprising, and the new head of Checkmate is supposed to be a very surprising pick.

I'm throwing my hat into the ring and calling Lois Lane for leader of Checkmate. Hopefully I don't get burned like my Leviathan pick (which I'm still pretty ticked off about).

And funny enough, Bendis has already linked Lois to Checkmate pretty early on

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

That image inspired so many questions .

I don't really see Lois running Checkmate. She's capable, intelligent, and resourceful, but not in a way I can see running that kind of organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really see Lois running Checkmate. She's capable, intelligent, and resourceful, but not in a way I can see running that kind of organization.
    I think she could. Plus, she's going to be in her mid 50s once the new timeline is in play. I doubt she'll be running around quite the same way we're used to her doing now.

They way she employs and dispatches The Question in her solo, or her crew of auxiliary detectives in Leviathan, seems like it would be how she'd deal with being leader of Checkmate.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're there Checkmate clues in the last few issues of her solo? There was that girl in London drawing the circles on the ground, and it was a Checkmate clue.

And Bendis did say that there would be books spinning out of this Checkmate event like Leviathan did. What if a Lois lead Checkmate book is one of them, and what if it's Rucka's book? That's be nuts. But he did say that he came on to the Lois book with the understanding that he'd be writing something longer than just a 12 issue maxi, so theoretically he made the time for something more.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-08-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think she could. Plus, she's goingg to be in her mid 50s once the new timeline is in play. I doubt she'll be running around quite the same way we're used to her doing now.
    Well, they could do a big status quo shift with older lady Lois thanks to the power of time-skips. Although I think she'd still be running around quite a bit .
    They way she employs and dispatches The Question in her solo, or her crew of auxiliary detectives in Leviathan, seems like it would be how she'd deal with being leader of Checkmate.
    I'd need to probably read those scenes but as a whole I think she could theoretically apply her skills to leading a spy organziation like Checkmate, although I don't think one naturally lends to another without experience, I just don't think it's in her personality or way of doing things to go in that direction.

Although I think she'd still be running around quite a bit .
    You're not wrong lol

I'd need to probably read those scenes but as a whole I think she could theoretically apply her skills to leading a spy organziation like Checkmate, although I don't think one naturally lends to another without experience, I just don't think it's in her personality or way of doing things to go in that direction.
    I hear you, and it may be that you haven't checked out Rucka's Lois book, but I'll go up to bat for Lois on this one. I think this is a situation where she didn't know that she was as uniquely suited for the job as she is (if it comes to pass).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Checkmate operate with more than one leader? There's like a Black Queen/White Queen or Black King/White King. And if the idea is the streamline it down a bit more, then I'm sure there'd be people who can advise her and lend her their experience. But I think the way she's being written under Rucka and Bendis is placing her in a potion of pretty significant competency and influential pull in the DCU. So I think she's got it.

Lois running Checkmate has crossed my mind too. That seemed to be where the whole thing was pointing as soon as Sam Lane was revealed to be a big spy (because a military general wasn't enough?) and then died after telling Lois his secrets. And I think Ollie might possibly be an option too, given his role in things like No Justice and Event Leviathan.

Neither are characters I'd want to see doing it but I can see Bendis/DC using either. With Lois, she's got the ability but I think it's too far a detour from what her character is meant to be, and with Ollie I dont think it fits his skillset or outlook.

Ralph Dibney would be an intriguing choice though.

But I'll be honest, if DC is going to have a resident super spy; a Nick Fury of their own, the only character I'll easily accept in the role is Dick Grayson. I'm still crazy pissed that he wasn't allowed to be in Event Leviathan and I'm pissed that Kate f**king Kane is apparently the new director of Spyral (makes no sense at all).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Dick being in charge of a new Checkmate would be the most interesting thing that happened to him since Grayson, so there’s no chance in hell it happens lol. I’m not quite on board with Lois running Checkmate, being a reporter and managing an intelligence agency seems like a pretty big sideways leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Lois running Checkmate has crossed my mind too. That seemed to be where the whole thing was pointing as soon as Sam Lane was revealed to be a big spy (because a military general wasn't enough?) and then died after telling Lois his secrets. And I think Ollie might possibly be an option too, given his role in things like No Justice and Event Leviathan.
    I love how the Legion of Doom treats Leviathan killing him like this super big deal. 'Cuz Leviathan is just that awesome .
    Neither are characters I'd want to see doing it but I can see Bendis/DC using either. With Lois, she's got the ability but I think it's too far a detour from what her character is meant to be, and with Ollie I dont think it fits his skillset or outlook.
    Ollie's more an agent then a guy who I see running things. Unless this was, like, Arrow Ollie. Or maybe they have him to be liberal guy always calling out how everybody's acting in the clandestine organization.
    Ralph Dibney would be an intriguing choice though.
    Ralph seems too nice, but I guess if it worked for Terrific and Fire...
    But I'll be honest, if DC is going to have a resident super spy; a Nick Fury of their own, the only character I'll easily accept in the role is Dick Grayson. I'm still crazy pissed that he wasn't allowed to be in Event Leviathan and I'm pissed that Kate f**king Kane is apparently the new director of Spyral (makes no sense at all).
    I think Dick would be more interesting then Lois. Other then that illustration I'm not sure Kate running Spyral has ever come up before.

think Dick would be more interesting then Lois. Other then that illustration I'm not sure Kate running Spyral has ever come up before.
    Far as I know, the only other time it's come up is in Event Leviathan, when people thought it was a typo.

It truly pisses me off that Kate has suddenly been put in this position, out of nowhere, while Dick, who actually worked in the organization, doesn't even get a cameo in Event Leviathan.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

DC has announced 5 Generation one shots, starting in May: https://www.newsarama.com/49033-gene...teries-dc.html

Generation One: Age of Mysterie
    Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman
    Generation Three: Age of Crisis
    Generation Four: Age of Rebirth
    Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow

Bendis will write one of the one shots, but we don't know which yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    DC has announced 5 Generation one shots, starting in May: https://www.newsarama.com/49033-gene...teries-dc.html

So is each team writing one or is it all of them writing each issue together aka 52? If they’re each getting one, Bendis is clearly on Age of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So is each team writing one or is it all of them writing each issue together aka 52? If they’re each getting one, Bendis is clearly on Age of Tomorrow.
    Yeah, especially given his run and that it will the the one-shot most directly setting up 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

And the one-shots are only hitting once per month? Wow, DC is really taking their time with this. I want to say that's a good thing, since deadline problems apparently plagued the planning of Crisis, Zero Hour, and the New52.

And yeah, if Bendis isn't writing the generation 5 one-shot I will be extremely surprised.

Not sure about this "braintrust" of writers though. I mean, I loved Dan Jurgens' Superman stuff back in the 90's but the man has not aged well. Venditti isn't what I'd call a strong creator either, though his Freedom Fighters maxi was truly exceptional. Schmidt? Not familiar with the name at all. Bendis and Williamson are the only names here I'd have expected.

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And the one-shots are only hitting once per month? Wow, DC is really taking their time with this. I want to say that's a good thing, since deadline problems apparently plagued the planning of Crisis, Zero Hour, and the New52.

And yeah, if Bendis isn't writing the generation 5 one-shot I will be extremely surprised.

Not sure about this "braintrust" of writers though. I mean, I loved Dan Jurgens' Superman stuff back in the 90's but the man has not aged well. Venditti isn't what I'd call a strong creator either, though his Freedom Fighters maxi was truly exceptional. Schmidt? Not familiar with the name at all. Bendis and Williamson are the only names here I'd have expected.
    Yeah... "which Golden Age Hero broke bad" really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, too. Are we so starved for villains we gotta keep corrupting people? I just really have mixed feelings over this announcement, and I'm reminded more and more that Didio got me to leave DC for five years once and it's starting to feel similar again. The more I think and hear about 5G, the more I don't really care. I'm not even angry, I just find myself thinking "I guess I'll try Superman and maybe a JSA book if it exists."

I am so sick of heel turns, shocking deaths and shallow shock value.

This part doesn't sound so bad. I don't have confidence in the execution but lets hypothetically say it is planned and written well: the idea of putting all the history together somehow is nothing I'm inherently against in any way. But my big question is what do you do after you cliffs notes the past classics? What's the plan for the present? That's still the make or break piece of the puzzle.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El