Page 538 of 613 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588 ... LastLast
Results 8,056 to 8,070 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, if 5G has jon as superman. Will he be graduate my hero legion academy by the end of the one shots?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So hype for this. Really can't wait to get the ball rolling on the whole idea. Such a fascinating endeavor. I'll be glued to each of those books month to month along with my regulars and Death Metal. I just really appreciate the ambition and planning that seems to have gone into this.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah... "which Golden Age Hero broke bad" really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, too. Are we so starved for villains we gotta keep corrupting people? I just really have mixed feelings over this announcement, and I'm reminded more and more that Didio got me to leave DC for five years once and it's starting to feel similar again. The more I think and hear about 5G, the more I don't really care. I'm not even angry, I just find myself thinking "I guess I'll try Superman and maybe a JSA book if it exists."

I am so sick of heel turns, shocking deaths and shallow shock value.
    Im guessing Terry Sloane will be the bad guy since the Earth 2 Terry Sloane was evil iirc. I’d be ok with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This part doesn't sound so bad. I don't have confidence in the execution but lets hypothetically say it is planned and written well: the idea of putting all the history together somehow is nothing I'm inherently against in any way. But my big question is what do you do after you cliffs notes the past classics? What's the plan for the present? That's still the make or break piece of the puzzle.
    Jon being 5G Superman is the plan I guess, but the classics will still get Black Label books. Well Bruce Wayne Batman, Harley Quinn, Joker, and WW will get them, they haven’t done anything besides Year One with Superman so who the hell knows what he’ll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Im guessing Terry Sloane will be the bad guy since the Earth 2 Terry Sloane was evil iirc. I’d be ok with that.
    I wouldn't. I like Terry being this idealistic guy who got saved from depression by the idea of Fair Play and doing good in the world, and that inspires Michael Holt (although who knows if that'll still be a thing).

Although, if I recall correctly, Earth-2 Terry was more unscrupulous then outright evil.

I wonder if they'll just randomly introduce some hitherto unseen Golden Age hero who'll turn evil. Or make one of the Injustice Society into a former hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't. I like Terry being this idealistic guy who got saved from depression by the idea of Fair Play and doing good in the world, and that inspires Michael Holt (although who knows if that'll still be a thing).

Although, if I recall correctly, Earth-2 Terry was more unscrupulous then outright evil.

I wonder if they'll just randomly introduce some hitherto unseen Golden Age hero who'll turn evil. Or make one of the Injustice Society into a former hero.
    Nah an OC wouldn’t have the same impact. It’s gotta be someone we know, you know how Didio is.

Nah an OC wouldn’t have the same impact. It’s gotta be someone we know, you know how Didio is.
    I mean, haven't the JSA generation been through enough ?

Granted, I doubt anyone is going to make as much of a fuss compared to Wally, but still...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I don't think Terry will be evil simply because Tom King already has big plans for him in the strange adventures book. Not to mention Didio letting the terrifics last so long shows how much DC values that team.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't think Terry will be evil simply because Tom King already has big plans for him in the strange adventures book. Not to mention Didio letting the terrifics last so long shows how much DC values that team.
    That’s Michael Holt Mr. Terrific who is currently Mr. Terrific and leading the Terrifics as well as someone who has been a member of the JSA for quite some time now.

Terry Sloane is the first Mr. Terrific who has nothing to do with the Terrifics but was a part of the JSA. Terry Sloane is the classic golden age Mr. Terrific who died a while back, he wears a red and green outfit.

F698AB69-1E64-446A-AB63-1AA76A5064C6.jpg
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-14-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    DC has announced 5 Generation one shots, starting in May: https://www.newsarama.com/49033-gene...teries-dc.html

Generation One: Age of Mysterie
    Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman
    Generation Three: Age of Crisis
    Generation Four: Age of Rebirth
    Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow

Bendis will write one of the one shots, but we don't know which yet.
    These sound interesting. I'm curious if these are just going to be spotlights on the eras or be books that actually bridge the different eras together.

Andy Schmidt is an odd choice to launch it and it doesn't exactly instill confidence that they are turning the launch of this initiative over to some guy who's biggest credit seems to have been being Bendis' editor on Secret War and a Star Trek comic 10 years ago. It is akin to some of the New 52's editorial driven nonsense and just throwing things at whoever is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So hype for this. Really can't wait to get the ball rolling on the whole idea. Such a fascinating endeavor. I'll be glued to each of those books month to month along with my regulars and Death Metal. I just really appreciate the ambition and planning that seems to have gone into this.
    I'm glad you're excited for this man. I gotta admit, on a conceptual level it's fascinating. As a thought experiment...well, we've all had that discussion too, haven't we? The "what if the DCU moved in real time?" stuff. But I'm with Sacred on questioning what you do with it once you've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This part doesn't sound so bad. I don't have confidence in the execution but lets hypothetically say it is planned and written well: the idea of putting all the history together somehow is nothing I'm inherently against in any way. But my big question is what do you do after you cliffs notes the past classics? What's the plan for the present? That's still the make or break piece of the puzzle.
    Another thing I'm not really feeling are the changes to history. I mean, if DC wants their actual history to be their continuity they'd have to fudge some things to make it all fit, right? Gotta fix that "the Kents are suddenly alive again in 86" stuff. But I'm hearing things that aren't about fixing continuity inconsistencies in the publishing, but are just straight up tacking things on. A Golden Ager goes evil? Is there an actual plot from some issue in the Golden Age that they're going to build on here, because this sounds like stupid shock value change for the sake of change.

I'd be intrigued by an honest attempt to do DC's history in real-time, but if it's just more "Look! Barry Allen is now....a woman?? Whhaaaa??" then what minimal interest I have is gone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jon being 5G Superman is the plan I guess, but the classics will still get Black Label books. Well Bruce Wayne Batman, Harley Quinn, Joker, and WW will get them, they haven’t done anything besides Year One with Superman so who the hell knows what he’ll get.
    I'm still imagining that's the plan. And that's a definitive "break". Can only hope the real Superman does get a lot of other imprint stuff. I'm always wary to use "the real" adjective with these characters. Because there's so many different incarnations of Kal-El. But in this case, it applies. The main line will indeed be featuring a poser and not the real deal.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    what you do with it once you've got it.
    For me that's the fun of the idea.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A timeskip is really not that uncommon in mangas. Everyone does it. It's usually at the middle of the story. But, mangas have a start, middle and end. This things seems to as well. 5G will end. I like the idea that for once in comics something will end. How it will end is the question. Will jon get packed up? Will he stay or changed back? Most importantly, will the character be poisoned so much so that nobody will use him again?i hope jon atleast gets a good send off, when it ends. Journey has been waaaay to rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    For me that's the fun of the idea.
    And if you worked at DC I'd be much more excited about this whole thing. It's not what "once you have it, what do you do with it?" so much as "once DC has it, what will they do with it?" And so far it looks like the answer is turn a Golden Ager evil. So......yeah. You can see why my excitement doesn't equal your's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And if you worked at DC I'd be much more excited about this whole thing.
    D'awww. This guy!

And so far it looks like the answer is turn a Golden Ager evil. So......yeah. You can see why my excitement doesn't equal your's.
    I can get that, but I guess I just didn't get hung up on that. Personally (obviously you can see it differently), I kind of like the whole "True Hollywood Story" aspect to the rise and fall of the JSA. There's always a reflex to over idealize the 30s/40s, but that's never been the reality. There's something interesting to me about this inherently ephemeral group of idealist come together right at the height of the war to be heroes to a world, but then coming home and (according to the new timeline) get weighed down and ultimately disbanded by a society that wasn't as ready for them as we'd thought. It's only years later with the rise of Superman and his generation that the world realizes what it gave up out of (I'm guessing) fear. It recontexualizes the JSA as this group of idealist that were ahead of their time, and ultimately had a rocky and rough twilight of the old gods sort of deal.

Conceptually, I'll be honest, I dig it.