Page 54 of 613 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154554 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Right, this is pretty close to what I been thinking. I never liked that Superman only have powers under the yellow sun, I like to think that he only don't have powers under the red sun. Maybe kryptonians were confined in one of the few places where they would not have powers, perhaps because they once tried to conquer the universe?
    Actually, the reveal that Krypton was once a great big space dictatorship, and was eventually destroyed by one of the worlds it had conquered, doesn't seem like the most far-fetched idea that Bendis could throw at us, and it does seem to fit his style a little bit, right?

I have mixed feelings on the idea of Krypton being "murdered" by outside forces, myself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    From the youtube interview I posted above

-rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core in AC1000.
    -Bendis thinks Metropolis is the most culturally diversity city in the world, since Superman can be considered the most known and prominent immigrant.
    -Bendis favorite Superman/DC issue is Superman 400.
    -He finds Lois to be the bravest character in all of comics.
    -There will be lots of new people at the daily planet and in Metropolis we will meet
    -When Superman goes off somewhere in Metropolis, there are villains that do things behind the scenes that Superman isn't even aware of. We'll get to see that.
    -Bendis accidentally writers daily bugle instead of daily planet in his scripts and he jokes around about Greg Pak doing that during his new 52 run.

Interview is over. Everything else is info we already know.
    Interesting thoughts. Will have to search for Superman #400. I agree with Ascended. It looks like Bendis' is putting his heart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Interesting thoughts. Will have to search for Superman #400. I agree with Ascended. It looks like Bendis' is putting his heart.
    It's one of the best Superman issues ever, definitely check it out.

BANNED

Love Bendis' story about the intimidating german doctor and how Rogal-Zar is named after her

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core in AC1000.
    Expected. All depends on what this big revelation is. Till then I have no real opinion.

-Bendis thinks Metropolis is the most culturally diversity city in the world, since Superman can be considered the most known and prominent immigrant.
    YES!!! That's such a cool idea. If I'm understanding it right, Bendis is saying the in story reason for Metropolis' great diversity is the fact that Superman is the most famous immigrant on Earth. I'm waaaaaaaay into this idea, and this seems to be a way to inject personality into Metropolis that's about as elegant and instantly recognizable as Gotham being the corrupt city. This re contextualizes Metropolis' "City of Tomorrow" title in really positive and tangible sort of way. Really strong idea that I haven't really seen before with Superman.

Good man.

-There will be lots of new people at the daily planet and in Metropolis we will meet
    Count me in. Reborn brought us back to the city and the Planet, but we basically never went to either.

-When Superman goes off somewhere in Metropolis, there are villains that do things behind the scenes that Superman isn't even aware of. We'll get to see that.
    ..........I love this so got damn much
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Too early to say it, but so far, thank God for Bendis.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

-rogal-zarr is the name of the villain on the man of steel covers (100% sure I spelled that wrong) . He tells superman something about krypton that gets him under his core in AC1000.
    -Bendis accidentally writers daily bugle instead of daily planet in his scripts and he jokes around about Greg Pak doing that during his new 52 run.

Interview is over. Everything else is info we already know.
    -I think that is a good name for one kryptonian..
    -I desire good luck to Metropolis and Metropolis Bendis improves..
    -Yeah, she is brave
    -Ok..

It does sound like a Kryptonian name, so I'm curious if there's anything to that.
    A neat idea, and one I think Pak played out to some degree during his run, and makes me interested to see if this applies to Bendis' additions to the supporting cast or how he will be approaching Clark to some degree.
    Cool .
    Can't argue with that .
    I don't mind new characters as long as we don't lose sight of the core Planet crew and cast.
    I wonder if one of them is Lex?
    I wonder how his Perry will compare to his Jonah.

A fan asked if Bendis thought Superman or Clark Kent was the true identity. “It’s a very good question,” Bendis said. “What I am fascinated by, out of all he things in he world he could do, he chose to be a reporter. He didn’t have to have any secret identity. I think the reason he chose reporter is, because it’s the one thing he can do for justice that he can’t do as Superman. He can reveal truth. That’s Clark’s job.”

Bendis said he’s found newfound relevance in Superman’s “truth, justice and the American way” adage, which helped inspire him to take on the Man of Steel. “Truth is under siege in our society today,” Bendis continued. “Justice — we see it every day on video, justice is not being handed out to everybody. The American dream, that is also under siege. These things, that seemed cliche just five years ago, are now damn well worth fighting for.
    I think Clark's being a newspaper reporter is good stuff for story material, but given that Bendis' political persuasion undoubtedly swings far left, I do worry that Bendis will only have Clark reveal the "truth" when it comes to bashing the non-leftists.

I'd prefer a more nuanced approach if we're going to inject politics into a Superman comic -- there's plenty of asinine behavior on both sides of the aisle in politics (of any country), but I don't think we've ever really gotten evenhanded politics from superhero comics, so I suspect Bendis won't be the one to break that trend.

If things get too eyerolling for me, this would make me put Bendis' Superman on "ignore."

Also, if Bendis travels down the "everything you know is wrong" road in an effort to "shock" us. That's become such a lazy trope for new writers of a series to trot out.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

When Bendis name checked Superman #400 as his favorite issue, he definitely won some points with me.

The rest sounds good. Like others have said, I don't mind a political bent being put into the stories as long as it feels natural or doesn't take me out of the story told. As long as it isn't blatant bashing of a political party or ideology, I'm fine.

His comment about relating to Superman being a dad with many different jobs also gives me confidence that he'll be handling the family aspect and not erasing it to simplify things. Perhaps he'll move the focus a little more back to Clark and away from Jon a tad, but that's not a bad thing, especially if Jon indeed will see development in another book.

I am looking forward to see where Bendis takes us. At least he genuinely seems to be putting his heart into it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    YES!!! That's such a cool idea. If I'm understanding it right, Bendis is saying the in story reason for Metropolis' great diversity is the fact that Superman is the most famous immigrant on Earth. I'm waaaaaaaay into this idea, and this seems to be a way to inject personality into Metropolis that's about as elegant and instantly recognizable as Gotham being the corrupt city. This re contextualizes Metropolis' "City of Tomorrow" title in really positive and tangible sort of way. Really strong idea that I haven't really seen before with Superman.
    I recall Birthright touched on much the same idea, but it didn't run with it; hopefully this'll be a different story. And fine pick for favorite Superman/DC story.

Also, he mentioned Rogal was the name of a doctor during his scare; she looked at him like he was nuts when he said he thought he was maybe gonna name the next Superman villain after her, but the next day she came in all smiles after clearly having googled him and realizing he was actually in a position to do that.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that from Birthright. But, yeah, I'm hoping Bendis leans into it way more, and given what Action sounds like it's gonna be, I'm pretty confident he will. Looking forward to the whole thing.

Oh wow that's kind of adorable lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I think the Rebirth Superman books have produced some of the worst Superman stories ever, so that's where I differ from most readers. Besides Morrison and Pak, the New 52 also fell short most of the time, with Lobdell's run also coming in as one of the worst.

It's like comparing a new TV show to the Simpsons. The Simpsons has dozens of the best episodes of any show ever, but it's also been on for so long that it's accumulated 100s of episodes that aren't that good. So it's be easy for me to say Freaks and Geeks is better than most Simpsons episodes, since its 100s compared to just 18.
    I'm asking this honestly based on what you seem to enjoy versus what others don't, so please don't take offense. Did you think the Rebirth books were so awful because they weren't as heavy-handed in their political proselytizing as Bendis' Iron Man work? Also because the Superman books don't focus solely on a female character?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    I'm asking this honestly based on what you seem to enjoy versus what others don't, so please don't take offense. Did you think the Rebirth books were so awful because they weren't as heavy-handed in their political proselytizing as Bendis' Iron Man work? Also because the Superman books don't focus solely on a female character?
    Jurgen's run was written like it was from the 90s Superman era, the Tomasi/Gleason run went from a cover band doing a greatest hits compilation to the usual Tomasiesque haphazard writing. If the books had been "apolitical" like Busiek's run, or Millar's Superman Adventures I would have enjoyed them, but aside from Jon and a few issues of Tomasi/Gleason's Superman, the Rebirth flagship books have come across as soulless and manufactured.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I dunno, I think for Rebirth Jurgens came back without his humor. But anyway, on Bendis: I'm about to read Superman #400 now actually, for whatever it means for his run. I like that he namedropped something like that.