Page 549 of 613 FirstFirst ... 49449499539545546547548549550551552553559599 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,235 of 9194
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Eh I'm a Pre-Crisis guy through and through but I can't really say it bothers me that the Kent's are back for this particular iteration of Supes because frankly there just isn't much to this particular guy. The guy needs all the help he can't get because Byrne and Wolfman gutted the character Post-Crisis. I'd say Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis Superman are more different than Post-Crisis Superman and Batman were.

The Pre-Crisis guy was industrious, inquisitive, and adventurous; if you took him out into the middle of nowhere and left him be he would make a story . But the Post-Crisis guy? That guy by his own admission was pretty happy with a home to work, work to home, and occasionally going out with friends loop. He's just not the most interesting person and without more lively side characters to distract from his general 2D nature you're not going to have much to work with. Hell what was the first thing they even did when the brought Post-Crisis Superman back? Put him on a farm because his character was essentially that he was a farmboy and the Kents for their part are basically the part the reinforces that Supes comes from the American farmland. Modern writing is often that way too, thinks you won't get something unless it screams it at you.

What else do you really do with the guy? He's got none of the passion, drive, or lofty goals of his Golden Age counterpart, but rather his mentality centers around doing just enough to scrape by and get back to his work->home->work->home life loop. He doesn't have the psychological quirks and ambiguities that allowed the writers in the 70's to really flesh out his character. The Post-Crisis Supes was neatly fitted into his "regular guy" shtick early on and basically wanted to stay within his box. There's just nothing there so the Kents, the marriage, and Jon help to patch in what would otherwise be a lot of blank space where a deeper or at least more adventurous character might fill with possibility.

Take a look at Batman who has a supporting cast that probably dwarfs Superman's yet he doens't need them for dear life to be interesting to the reader, hell they just (idiotically) killed off his father figure. Batman's people aren't scared that Bruce can't handle his own story, they know he's been handled with care through the years and his writers has had at least some attempt to keep who he is intact. Look at Spiderman, his readers desperately want Aunt May dead. Look at One Piece, Luffy wanders from most of the Straw Hats frequently and his character isn't even particularly complex but he has the sort of character that can make a story. But modern Superman? He has none of that; this is a guy who at one point a flying dog was considered too much.

So yeah I'm fine and even a little glad to see the Kent's come back and add some meat to this guy's character. My only real complaint is that this guy doesn't really deserve two books to himself. The world shouldn't go on thinking that Superman was always just some hayseed from Kansas. We know that the other Pre-Crisis Supermen are out there, so imo they should give one of the books to one of those guys.
    I'm confused about your description.

You say Post-Crisis Superman is the "regular guy" and that is bad representation of the character.

However, was not this "regular guy" the role of Spiderman?
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-27-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I'm confused about your description.

You say Post-Crisis Superman is the "regular guy" and that is bad representation of the character.

However, was not this "regular guy" the role of Spiderman?
    I always thought regular for Peter meant he still had some problems regular people might encounter, but as a character he was still a super genius that only dated the most beautiful women. Clark didn't really encounter regular people problems due to his immense and expansive powerset thus writers seem to gravitate towards having him act longingly towards simple human life. Early in Byrnes run the Phantom Stranger comes to Superman with a problem that needs solving but Superman kind of starts huffing and puffing because he feels like he's already done his good deed for the day and wants to rest. Stuff like that just comes off as dumb to me. The writers and are trying to push the character into some kind of mold that makes him seem like he's envious of the monotony of daily life because that will make him seem like he's actually just a regular joe like everyone else but it doesn't.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I guess I'm not entirely clear on what the big deal is with having the Kents back or not anymore at this point. I mean, we've been running just fine without them for this whole run and the run before. Clark has had a sufficient number of people to talk to and bounce moral issues off of. And in same breath, it doesn't really matter that they're here now because, again, Clark has had a sufficient number of people to talk to and bounce moral issues off of.

I dunno. I started off as a big supporter of not keeping them in the present day, but these days I find it matters less and less to me.

Actually, maybe that's not totally true at the moment. Hearing about this "House of Kent" thing coming up, and Clark and his family becoming the most famous people on Earth does add in an interesting new sort of wrinkle to things. I'd like to see what shape that takes. And the sort of contrasting mix of turning the humble name Kent into what can only be described as an American royal family name is cool.

I also like how the implication that the Superman name and S shield will go down as more known for House Kent than it will its El roots. It almost points a straight line towards Kal Kent and DC One Million that way.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Why? Jon hanging out on a farm with his two Baby Boomer grandparents sounds insanely boring. Stuff like that is why I don’t want the Kents back, beyond “OMG it would be so cute if Jon met Pa and Ma ” there’s no actual worthwhile stories that you couldn’t just tell with Clark and Jon.

Don’t mean to target you, I’m just venting my own personal unpopular opinion lol.
    Ma and Pa Kent being back is boring.

Superman is just more interesting in my own imagination, and has steered far too into the navel gazing farmboy to be anything exciting anymore. Bendis has done his best with the current books, they're decent superhero comics- but the Superman they're hinged upon is just so boring. The readership is increasingly more and more interested with stories "counting" and bullet point facts and there's just not much room for Superman to be SUPER. Superman needs more Fraction's JIMMY OLSEN.

I echo SK's thoughts that Sam Lane is by far the most interesting boomer in the bunch, and has the most to offer the ongoing narratives.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-27-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ma and Pa Kent being back is boring.

Superman is just more interesting in my own imagination, and has steered far too into the navel gazing farmboy to be anything exciting anymore. Bendis has done his best with the current books, they're decent superhero comics- but the Superman they're hinged upon is just so boring. The readership is increasingly more and more interested with stories "counting" and bullet point facts and there's just not much room for Superman to be SUPER. Superman needs more Fraction's JIMMY OLSEN.

I echo SK's thoughts that Sam Lane is by far the most interesting boomer in the bunch, and has the most to offer the ongoing narratives.
    Even as big a detractor of Bendis that I am, he hasn't had much time to do much of anything with them yet. So to call them "boring" seems to be jumping the gun.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Even as big a detractor of Bendis that I am, he hasn't had much time to do much of anything with them yet. So to call them "boring" seems to be jumping the gun.
    Eh, there's nothing to be done with Superman's adopted parents. It's just fan service at this point.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-27-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The exchange just reminds me again how much I hate the concept of Kon as Clark's son. Love original Kon, and he was not that and did not want to be. I also dislike Conner being treated like his "real" name by those who know him well, because he didn't get that name until well after he got his first real name of Kon-El. I know it's a lost cause, but it's how I feel about it.
    Kon should be Kal's younger brother (before Flashpoint, he'd been living with Ma and Pa). Though there is precedent for him being called his son - in episode 2 of the Young Justice cartoon, which was an adaptation of his origin story, he was referred to as Superman's son.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kon should be Kal's younger brother (before Flashpoint, he'd been living with Ma and Pa). Though there is precedent for him being called his son - in episode 2 of the Young Justice cartoon, which was an adaptation of his origin story, he was referred to as Superman's son.
    You know...I kind of want to see Conner as the cool uncle who hangs out with Jon. Like a young 20 something Conner shows up to sneak Jon off to do something cool Clark won’t let him go do...I’m assuming like sneak out on a school night to see a movie or something.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think at this point you have to put him just somewhere further than Jon as Jon at 17 is still pretty young and takes up the role of the younger, given that he's basically a big ten year old.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I always thought regular for Peter meant he still had some problems regular people might encounter, but as a character he was still a super genius that only dated the most beautiful women. Clark didn't really encounter regular people problems due to his immense and expansive powerset thus writers seem to gravitate towards having him act longingly towards simple human life. Early in Byrnes run the Phantom Stranger comes to Superman with a problem that needs solving but Superman kind of starts huffing and puffing because he feels like he's already done his good deed for the day and wants to rest. Stuff like that just comes off as dumb to me. The writers and are trying to push the character into some kind of mold that makes him seem like he's envious of the monotony of daily life because that will make him seem like he's actually just a regular joe like everyone else but it doesn't.
    I mean it's not like the time he went too long without sleep and his sleepwalking had him manifest his jealousy of Clark Kent's regular life. That story had Phantom Stranger pick Superman over Doctor Fate in dealing with magic and resulted in PS believing Superman was the greatest force for good on Earth in Legends. I can remember a few stories where Superman was put off by strangers intruding on Kent or burdening him with vanquishing when he wasn't looking for action, but I think that example for that Superman is kind of a no-win in that had he instead complied, the complaint would be that he didn't have enough backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I guess I'm not entirely clear on what the big deal is with having the Kents back or not anymore at this point. I mean, we've been running just fine without them for this whole run and the run before. Clark has had a sufficient number of people to talk to and bounce moral issues off of. And in same breath, it doesn't really matter that they're here now because, again, Clark has had a sufficient number of people to talk to and bounce moral issues off of.

I dunno. I started off as a big supporter of not keeping them in the present day, but these days I find it matters less and less to me.
    Same. I think all you can do is use them step by step and try to make them worthwhile each time. I was never for them coming back, but it is what it is.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

.....I suppose the idea of what happens to them now that Clark's public does raise some interesting possibilities. And if anything ever happens with "president of earth" beyond Clark spending some more time in space and voting on stuff, the Kents *might* add something worthwhile to the mix.

Okay, perhaps there could be a reason to keep them around in the present day. This *could* open up some interesting ideas and it *could* change their role and dynamic and shift it into something useful. And Bendis has made me enjoy some things I have considered huge mistakes, so maybe he could sell me on why the Kents need to be alive now.

But gods....we've been fine without them since 2011. Why bring them back? There's no damn point.

Not even writing the book, and you're f*cking with my Superman, Johns. Well played.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Some Legion news.

Looks like we're getting something of a "Legion Civil War" starting in issue 8.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9F-gaLp...d=zdwffac1rtlg

Bendis himself is the one who joked about it being "Civil War 3" in the comments for this post. The cover seems to show the Legion split down the middle with face off like Jon vs Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy vs Lightning Lad, Wild Fire vs Bouncing Boy, Triplicate Girl vs Triplicate Girl with Triplicate Girl in the middle, Shadow Lass vs Mon-El, and Brainy vs Timber Wolf.

If I had to guess, I'd say this cover isn't totally accurate in the sense that it's just the team at each other throats, and it's more likely our very first Legion of Super-Heroes election. I say this because the solicitation for issue 7 says that there's drama because Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy are throwing down over who should be the leader of the team. Currently it's Cosmic Boy, but we've been seeing that a few members have been voicing their dissatisfaction with Rokk's leadership of the team. Lightning Lad in particular has voiced his dissatisfaction, and so has Triplicate Girl.

And as we see on the cover Lightning Lad and one of the Triplicate Girl's is in opposition to Cosmic Boy, and standing by Saturn Girl. And it makes sense that Shadow Lass seems to be on Cosmic Boy's side because they're dating, and she stuck up for him in issue 3.

But what's intresting is the fact that it's Jon vs Saturn Girl rather than Cosmic Boy vs Saturn Girl. I'm thinking that no matter what Cosmic Boy will be stepping down as leader, and I'm thinking he's nominated Jon for the role of leadership. This is based off the fact that in issue 4 Cosmic Boy pulls Jon out of the orientation, and he points out "Jon has more experience than any of us". And that's actually true given the fact that Jon's been a hero 7 years, but Lightning Lad counters by saying that Jon isn't experienced when it comes to the setting they are in, though Cosmic Boy stands his ground and defends that the idea that they look to Jon.

If this is the idea then I'm fully down for this story. A modern version of a Legion election sounds really fun. And you can tell that their are some personal reasons for the divides we see on the cover. Shadow Lass standing by Cosmic Boy because they're dating, Mon-El opposing Jon because he's got some issues with him (as we saw in issue 3), and Brainy standing behind Jon because he seems to be almost a Jimmy Olsen level fan of the kid's. I love the budding interpersonal dynamics mixed in with the political logistics of the team.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-27-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Some Legion news.

The big news first. Looks like we're getting something of a "Legion Civil War" starting in issue 8.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9F-gaLp...d=zdwffac1rtlg

Bendis himself is the one who joked about it being "Civil War 3" in the comments for this post. The cover seems to show the Legion split down the middle with face off like Jon vs Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy vs Lightning Lad, Wild Fire vs Bouncing Boy, Triplicate Girl vs Triplicate Girl with Triplicate Girl in the middle, Shadow Lass vs Mon-El, and Brainy vs Timber Wolf.

If I had to guess, I'd say this cover isn't totally accurate in the sense that it's just the team at each other throats, and it's more likely our very first Legion of Super-Heroes election. I say this because the solicitation for issue 7 says that there's drama because Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy are throwing down over who should be the leader of the team. Currently it's Cosmic Boy, but we've been seeing that a few members have been voicing their dissatisfaction with Rokk's leadership of the team. Lightning Lad in particular has voiced his dissatisfaction, and so has Triplicate Girl.

And as we see on the cover Lightning Lad and one of the Triplicate Girl's is in opposition to Cosmic Boy, and standing by Saturn Girl. And it makes sense that Shadow Lass seems to be on Cosmic Boy's side because they're dating, and she stuck up for him in issue 3.

But what's intresting is the fact that it's Jon vs Saturn Girl rather than Cosmic Boy vs Saturn Girl. I'm thinking that no matter what Cosmic Boy will be stepping down as leader, and I'm thinking he's nominated Jon for the role of leadership. This is based off the fact that in issue 4 Cosmic Boy pulls Jon out of the orientation, and he points out "Jon has more experience than any of us". And that's actually true given the fact that Jon's been a hero 7 years, but Lightning Lad counters by saying that Jon isn't experienced when it comes to the setting they are in, though Cosmic Boy stands his ground and defends that the idea that they look to Jon.

If this is the idea then I'm fully down for this story. A modern version of a Legion election sounds really fun. And you can tell that their are some personal reasons for the divides we see on the cover. Shadow Lass standing by Cosmic Boy because they're dating, Mon-El opposing Jon because he's got some issues with him (as we saw in issue 3), and Brainy standing behind Jon because he seems to be almost a Jimmy Olsen level fan of the kid's. I love the budding interpersonal dynamics mixed in with the political logistics of the team.
    Finally,Now this is getting exciting. Hopefully, there is some good fights. the ideological differences of both sides are developed. There was a thing about someone leaving the team. Wasn't there? Is it this that causes it. Hopefully it is and the conflict has long lasting implications.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There was a thing about someone leaving the team. Wasn't there? Is it this that causes it.
    I don't think this is why a member leaves. That was solicited in issue 7, and this is the cover for issue 8. And that had to do with Brainy revealing some sort of secret. I have a guess, but I'm not super sure.

I *assume* this divide will be spinning out from the drama between Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy over who should be leader. The way the members are divided on the cover seems to line up with people that are for or against how Cosmic Boy has been leading the team, or, in Mon-El's case, someone with an issue with Jon. And given Cosmic Boy's words and actions in issue 4, I'm assuming that he nominates Jon for the role to oppose Saturn Girl.

I doubt we'll have any brutal or truly serious physical fights between the teammates, but this Legion is pretty hot-blooded and passionate, and they can sometimes act like the kids they are, so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see some members come to actual blows briefly once emotions boil over.

Hopefully it is and the conflict has long lasting implications.
    Well I'm guessing we get a new leader, some hurt feelings, and *possibly* some sub factions within the team out of this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I get being concerned because of the Wally situation. But Jon and Conner are two very different characters, I don't think you have to worry about one over-shadowing the other, or rubbing off too much on the other. If nothing else, the Wally thing doesn't totally apply because Wallace was supposed to be a new version of Wally, whereas Jon and Conner are distinct and separate characters from the start.
    WHICH Conner?
    Kessel, Johns TT Conner or the current Conner?

-Kessels Version was the cool, sarcastic, overconfident young guy with a lot of trash-talk and Catch-Phrase (Dont mess with the S)...
    -Johns TT Conner was more calm, was insecure because he found out that half of his DNA came from Lex Luthor...He was a muscular guy with about 200-220 pounds..

current Conner is closer to Jon as he was before....

Like the "Yes, Sir" with which Conner adresses all Superman Versions which he meets in Rebirth...

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know...I kind of want to see Conner as the cool uncle who hangs out with Jon. Like a young 20 something Conner shows up to sneak Jon off to do something cool Clark wonÂ’t let him go do...IÂ’m assuming like sneak out on a school night to see a movie or something.
    I agree with you about cool uncle...
    I like to see Conner as cool uncle, who is different from Clark, driving a Harley,a muscle car,living in Hawaii etc.

But I am not a fan of sneaking out or so...
    I like to see Conner more as the NIGHTWING!! of the Super-Family....So he is the one with who Jon can talk more easily than with Clark...like talking about girls, first date etc.

Bring his time with the TT back in timeline (including IC etc.) so he can be the rolemodel of Jon...
    So he is mature,experienced and also powerful...

Like for example in one issue of SuperSons Damian and Jon went out for an adventure and were captured by the guy who stole the Amazo Armor.
    There it would have been cool if Conner and Cassie would have saved them, instead of Luthor...

I would LOVE!!!!!!!! for example to see a humoristic exchange of Clark and Conner who could give Jon better advice for dating...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Being stuck in the 1990s "fashion" makes "cooler" rather relative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Exactly. Conner' jacket looks like something somebody in a pop rock band would wear. One of those suburb kids trying way too hard to be rock an roll. It's definitely not badass. It wouldn't even have been cool back in the 90's (maybe the 80's). Fabulous seems a perfectly valid term.
    I have to say that I LOVE!!! the Leather Jacket...Only the spikes are a bit over-the-top...
    I rather have problems with the patches on his costume,the beard and the bodysize...

I personally would love to see him with Jeans/T-Shirt with long sleeves (like he is wearing in YJ Anime) and a leather-biker jacket (so like the TERMINATOR) look..
    or a complete black-red costume (type of Costume like Nightwing wears) with the black leather-biker jacket...

I really really really LOVE the Leather-Biker-Jacket (I also love the Look of Terminator and the Look of Dante of Devil May Cry)..

I rather have problems with the Outfits of Jonathan Samuel Kent and Clark Kent...

I really think that capes are outdated....and in fact my favorite DC Characters all dont wear a cape (Nightwing,Wally West,Bart Allen,Conner Kent...)

I am really glad that DC left Conner his leather-jacket, it fits his character perfectly and its refreshing to see someone who is different than the others...

I love the jacket when it's just a basic leather jacket with the shield on the back. This thing we have now, with all the spikes and patches? It reminds me of growing up in the late 80's and 90's. Those of us who grew up "rough," from families of bikers and metalheads, wore leather jackets without any extra crap on them. Other kids had to have the spikes and chains and patches. But those kids normally had a lot more money, came from better, unbroken homes, and weren't (in our eyes) legit. The "legit" kids were too poor (and too uncaring) for all the extra glitz.

I'm sure it was different in different towns and areas. I'm just speaking of personal experience. But where I was from (and it was a real sh*thole place), the real badasses didn't need crap on their jackets to look cool or badass, and the kids who did were laughed at for trying too hard. Of course, I'm getting close to 40 now, so what was cool when I was a kid doesn't have much bearing on today.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.