Page 55 of 613 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I dunno, I think for Rebirth Jurgens came back without his humor.
    You mean Jon and Kathy's pizza night?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't exactly remember pizza night, but I definitely don't remember Whit, Whitty, Lori, Dirk, Bibbo, Misa, or even Jimmy outside of cameos. We saw Maggie and Allie initially though, which was neat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't exactly remember pizza night, but I definitely don't remember Whit, Whitty, Lori, Dirk, Bibbo, Misa, or even Jimmy outside of cameos. We saw Maggie and Allie initially though, which was neat.
    I misread your post as saying Jurgens came back with his humor, my bad.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I found it interesting when rather than reiterating the Superman/Clark dichotomy that seemed to be defining the difference between Superman and Action Comics, this time around he had this to say: "Superman will be dealing with Superman the person, Superman the icon, Superman and what he means to himself and everyone else, and Action Comics will be more Superman in the DC universe, Superman in the Daily Planet, Superman in all the things that are going on in Metropolis". Between that and his idea of 'what do criminals get up to in Metropolis when they see Superman streak away overhead to go save the day' - the premise of a one-and-done if ever I've heard one - while I don't know that he'd actually take it that far, I wonder if more than simply contrasting a Superman-centric book with Clark-centric book, it'll be more a traditional Superman title versus a more Astro City-style exploration of what goes on in the world around him. Surely, the guy who wrote Powers and Jessica Jones has some natural inclination towards the latter setup.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I found it interesting when rather than reiterating the Superman/Clark dichotomy that seemed to be defining the difference between Superman and Action Comics, this time around he had this to say: "Superman will be dealing with Superman the person, Superman the icon, Superman and what he means to himself and everyone else, and Action Comics will be more Superman in the DC universe, Superman in the Daily Planet, Superman in all the things that are going on in Metropolis". Between that and his idea of 'what do criminals get up to in Metropolis when they see Superman streak away overhead to go save the day' - the premise of a one-and-done if ever I've heard one - while I don't know that he'd actually take it that far, I wonder if more than simply contrasting a Superman-centric book with Clark-centric book, it'll be more a traditional Superman title versus a more Astro City-style exploration of what goes on in the world around him. Surely, the guy who wrote Powers and Jessica Jones has some natural inclination towards the latter setup.
    Oh man, both of those books sound so good. I hope you're right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Jurgen's run was written like it was from the 90s Superman era, the Tomasi/Gleason run went from a cover band doing a greatest hits compilation to the usual Tomasiesque haphazard writing. If the books had been "apolitical" like Busiek's run, or Millar's Superman Adventures I would have enjoyed them, but aside from Jon and a few issues of Tomasi/Gleason's Superman, the Rebirth flagship books have come across as soulless and manufactured.
    "Manufactured" as opposed to "created" is a good way of putting it. Both runs have felt like standard model Superman Books(TM). It feels like DC wanted safe, comforting, non-challenging books that took no chances. I never felt any real emotion or creative energy running through them. I never got the feeling that either author just couldn't wait to get his ideas on the page. They were workmanlike. Functional and fine. They remind me of Shooter era Marvel books.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    "Manufactured" as opposed to "created" is a good way of putting it. Both runs have felt like standard model Superman Books(TM). It feels like DC wanted safe, comforting, non-challenging books that took no chances. I never felt any real emotion or creative energy running through them. I never got the feeling that either author just couldn't wait to get his ideas on the page. They were workmanlike. Functional and fine. They remind me of Shooter era Marvel books.
    Maybe more writers should write stories akin to the Shooter era books. I mean that's kind of how Superman began to sell well again.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I think Tomasi/Gleason and Jurgens put a lot of investment and time into their stories even if they didn't always set out to set the comic world on fire and just told some solid Superman stories (to varying degrees of effectiveness depending on who you asked).

BANNED

I think some of you guys need to take a peek at the Marvel forum and see just exactly what people actually exposed to BMB feel about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    I think some of you guys need to take a peek at the Marvel forum and see just exactly what people actually exposed to BMB feel about him.
    I have seen the reception for Bendis and what he does it's not helping his credibility as a writer big name or not. Too much talking not enough action. He fails at climaxes and he butchers characters he has no ability to handle.

I am aware of his general reception, at least here, and don't really care. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but I'm far more willing to ride along with this this risk than stay the current track.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have been exposed to BMB and that is exactly why I just can't get on this bandwagon. His work lately has been mediocre to downright terrible and so I cannot blindly trust that he is the best choice for Superman. His track record speaks against that no matter what he says in interview and panels. Could Bendis pull something miraculous out of his hat and bring about a new golden age for Superman? Absolutely, but until I actually see that happen I'll remain skeptical.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-04-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I am aware of his general reception, at least here, and don't really care. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but I'm far more willing to ride along with this this risk than stay the current track.
    Yeah but by handing him both Superman and Actions means that if it doesn't work out then its reaaaaly not going to work out.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And I respect that. The thing is I became a regular buyer of both Superman and Action because of the current books and this has been the first time I've stuck with both for this long as well. Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason are the reasons I've stuck around this long and once Bendis comes on I'm leaving again. I don't think I have to tell you how disappointed that makes me feel.

In any case while this risk might pay off I remain concerned for what will happen if it doesn't. Bendis on any book these days is a huge risk because of his track record lately and I feel like DC is taken to much of one here by given him the keys to the Superman corner of the DCU. I really don't feel entirely comfortable with that and would be a good deal happier if they had given him one of the two books and gotten some other big name to write the other one.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

To be honest while the wary and hostile feelings towards Bendis is warranted give his track record he has been saying a lot of positive things most of which deal with Superman as Clark Kent so at least it's the poorly received Superman: Grounded story. For now all one has to do is sit and wait until he lives up to his word about what he is up to and much of it does sound good since he made the effort to make it clear Clark and Lois's marriage will stay event though he hints at some sort of drama he has for them that could satisfy those who think their marriage has been too easy. And Jon is not going anywhere. So at least much of what he said shows he is aware of his reputation among fans and that he is going out of his way to try and placate the fans. So I at least give him an A for effort to salvage himself.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-05-2018 at 12:32 AM.